Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I agree, but they were asking for stuff that was never "resolved"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought Ralphie admitted burning down the stable in a gangster way, something like "who cares about the horse, we all got paid"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He didn't burn down the stable because it's way funnier to me if he died from the one thing he didn't do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's honestly how I feel as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That would be funny, but I think he did it. He denied it, but he was clever enough to know that admitting it would get him in big trouble, so he had to at least try to lie, similar to Paulie on the boat.

Plus, c'mon, it's Ralphie, of course he'd do that kind of thing

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

what Carmela actually did with the $40k from the bird feed,

Pretty sure they address this and Tony says she lost it all in bad investments. Might have been part of that "you're a bad business woman who's gonna kill Brian's kid" tirade he goes on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony says "I'd ask for my cut but wait, there's nothing!" and that's as much of an explanation as we get. I was always curious about that because she was going out of her way to put it in "safe" stuff like bonds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tony says "I'd ask for my cut but wait, there's nothing!" and that's as much of an explanation as we get. I was always curious about that because she was going out of her way to put it in "safe" stuff like bonds.

And there was that thing where she was hanging out with Cusamano's wife and her friends and they were bragging about how they didn't play the stock market, they won.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was in the first season, she stole the money in the fourth and Tony declaring she blew it all is in the seventh.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Furio, whether or not Ralphie burned down the stable, what happened when Finn and Meadow finally broke up, what Carmela actually did with the $40k from the bird feed, what ultimately happened to David Scatino and family, same with Caitlin, etc. I always appreciated it because it's a lot like real life when you don't get answers or closure and sometimes people just fade away for whatever reason.

I think we got closure on Scatino: Tony took him for all he’s worth, despite the fact he was a childhood friend, his wife divorced him and he hosed off to work on a ranch. I don’t remember if we learned if his kid was able to pay for college or not.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mike N Eich posted:

I think we got closure on Scatino: Tony took him for all he’s worth, despite the fact he was a childhood friend, his wife divorced him and he hosed off to work on a ranch. I don’t remember if we learned if his kid was able to pay for college or not.

Meadow mentions later that he's in a mental facility in Nevada.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This is a controversial opinion perhaps but I never much cared for Livia as a character. To me the storylines with her are the least interesting and she always felt a bit one note to me.

I don't think she's bad or anything but as characters go she's one of the blander ones for me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The last we hear of Davey is that he's in a mental health facility in Nevada and this his son is in a state school and obsessed with acid.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ginette Reno posted:

This is a controversial opinion perhaps but I never much cared for Livia as a character. To me the storylines with her are the least interesting and she always felt a bit one note to me.

I don't think she's bad or anything but as characters go she's one of the blander ones for me.

I have people like Livia in my family. I think they nailed the 'everything is the worst, everyone's always trying to screw me and I'm always going to criticize you' old person perfectly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

I have people like Livia in my family. I think they nailed the 'everything is the worst, everyone's always trying to screw me and I'm always going to criticize you' old person perfectly.

I don't think she's a bad character per se, but she's the least interesting (for me).

I actually like her a lot better as a background presence informing a lot of what Tony goes through. She almost works better that way for me than as an actually physically present character.

Nancy Marchand was great in the role though.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I really love Livia from this aspect - about half of viewers see her as a parody, surely nobody is this negative and awful, and half of viewers (like me) are like "oh yeah, this is 100% my grandmother"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mike N Eich posted:

I really love Livia from this aspect - about half of viewers see her as a parody, surely nobody is this negative and awful, and half of viewers (like me) are like "oh yeah, this is 100% my grandmother"

My wife took my MiL away for a 4 day weekend last month, a bit of time for just the two of them at a luxury AirBNB cabin on a lake.

They came back and I asked her, "how was a the weekend?" and without skipping a beat my MiL says, "it was ok, it would have been nicer if there was a boat."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We’ve been doing a rewatch leading up to the release of Many Saints of Newark and we’re in the middle of the fourth season. I love so much when Tony calls and wakes Christopher out of a dead sleep and starts rattling off information, but Chrissy can’t find anything to write on so he just writes on the pillowcase with a marker. Adriana’s “What the gently caress?” reaction is just so perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Nancy Marchand was great in the role though.

I think about her indignant "I don't drive when they're predicting rain!" and still laugh.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every day! Water, water, water! I’m living next door to Gunga Din!

night slime
May 14, 2014

:tinfoil:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what am i looking for here?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

what am i looking for here?

Chekov's jacket

night slime
May 14, 2014
The phrase member's only showing up right after Tony tells Paulie about Pussy being a rat and he starts tailing him. Probably nothing since it was S1, hence the :tinfoil: but was still a funny detail imo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ahh cool. good catch.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Holy hell. Proshai, Livushka might be Janice at her absolute worst/most annoying... eh I'm sure she'll top it with so much of the series to go.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who are you, Minister of Propaganda?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy hell. Proshai, Livushka might be Janice at her absolute worst/most annoying... eh I'm sure she'll top it with so much of the series to go.

Janice immediately flipping from “Mom didn’t want a funeral (because I don’t want to spend money on a plane ticket” to “we need to have a big ceremony (with Tony footing the bill)” almost immediately is incredible.

Her opening the hornets nest by insisting on having a remembrance of Livia is loving amazing. The most immediate “you got what you asked for”.

Having just rewatched season 2 though, I must say one of the most shocking moments of the series really comes at you fast with Janice’s murder of Richie. There isn’t *much* build up to it, in terms of Janice feeling like she’s gotta kill this guy, though you can see some gears slowly turning. If anything, there’s more resentment built up on Richie’s end, as he’s worried about how much money she’s spending and how frustrated he is with her pushing him to make a move on Tony (if only Tony ever knew hoe much she intrigued against him with Richie). But you can see some misgivings in Janice here and there, like how forthcoming she is in telling Carmella about Richie’s sadomasochistic proclivities, testing the water and hiding any fear behind boastfulness.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

TheKingslayer posted:

The way Janice uses her speech at the memorial to talk about Livia being the reason she became a Video Artist as if that’s something she’s well known for is especially irritating.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Extraordinary visualization skills

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mike N Eich posted:

Having just rewatched season 2 though, I must say one of the most shocking moments of the series really comes at you fast with Janice’s murder of Richie. There isn’t *much* build up to it, in terms of Janice feeling like she’s gotta kill this guy, though you can see some gears slowly turning. If anything, there’s more resentment built up on Richie’s end, as he’s worried about how much money she’s spending and how frustrated he is with her pushing him to make a move on Tony (if only Tony ever knew hoe much she intrigued against him with Richie). But you can see some misgivings in Janice here and there, like how forthcoming she is in telling Carmella about Richie’s sadomasochistic proclivities, testing the water and hiding any fear behind boastfulness.

I think on some level Janice had convinced herself Richie really was different and wouldn't be like Johnny Boy or God knows however other many mob husbands she's seen and internally doubled down on that when Carmela just uproariously laughs in her face when she says Richie's different. I think that's why it feels like a switch got flipped after he hits her and well.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

The way Janice uses her speech at the memorial to talk about Livia being the reason she became a Video Artist as if that’s something she’s well known for is especially irritating.

I'm making a documentary. The World War II generation and their music, as exemplified by Ma.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

I think about her indignant "I don't drive when they're predicting rain!" and still laugh.

“Somebody called here last night ... You think I’d answer, it was dark out!”

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
I was thinking about this microscene the other day from The Fleshy Part of the Thigh (Long post incoming).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvznay6ZFjg

Tony: "Get this - says here that 'If the history of the planet were represented by the Empire State Building, the time that human beings have been on earth would only be a postage stamp at the very top. Do you realize how insignificant that makes us?'
Chris: "I don't feel that way."

Tony enjoying the dinosaur book charming in a childlike way and simultaneously in-line with his characterization throughout the series, in that he does have an intrinsic curiosity about him that he does like to indulge, as long as something has caught his interest. For example, him reading the book on ducks -- which still has the sticker on it, implying it was recently bought and not just sitting around the house-- in the pilot, or that he enjoys World War 2 documentaries in a way that is archetypically boomer. Not only does he enjoy facts (Paulie does too- "I watch TV to understand the world around me") he also likes to take the things he learns and integrate them into his life, such as when he identifies with the generals in the end of season 5 after Paulie makes the comparison of him to one.

This factoid Tony is seized by also is one of many seeds planted in his brain throughout season 6 that point toward Tony's growing awareness of his place within the broader circle of life, his appreciation of his own mortality, and a more existential flair to his tendency towards a 'bleak' outlook on things. For instance, his explanation to Melfi of his highdea he had at the end of Kennedy & Heidi about mothers as busses.

And, in keeping with the outrageous genius of this show basically being the Great American Novel but set in New Jersey of all places, it's a comparison to a familiar local landmark -- the Empire State Building -- that helps to literally bring this fact home to Tony. And, of course, Tony spends most of the show playing a tense and highly dangerous game of brinksmanship around the sleeping giant that is the Lupertazzi family- much like how the hypercompetence of Brother Mouzone in the Wire represents the power and reach of the great city-state of New York relative to Baltimore, so too does Tony work in the shadow of the 5 families of New York City throughout the entire run of the show, with many of his problems circling back to being helplessly dwarfed by New York's resources and scale.
(Edit: Has this pygmy poo poo always been a postage stamp on top of the empire state building? Top dog, but in a provincially limited, contingent, and vulnerable way? The toughest guys in Essex County, who used to run North Jersey,? Their only legacy left in this world are just a jacket and a demented, nasty old man in a wheelchair. Does Tony realize that is he is, and always has been, 'Reigning in Hell' versus serving in Heaven? Is this what the Kevin Finnerty episodes show us what serving in heaven may have looked like?)

But, that he shares this line in particular with Christopher helps to illustrate even more of the grim contrast between the two characters and their relationship.

Note that Christopher explicitly disagrees with Tony instead of playing it off with a throwaway comment like 'that's nice' or 'how cool' or 'huh', as would have been polite to keep the peace with the Boss, or even with a friend. He delivers the line with stonefaced, unsmiling, unqualified conviction. Even polite indifference might have been better, like the chilly reception Tony gets later on in his recovery while holding court at Satriale's and nobody listens to him talking through the minutae and bodily details of his treatment and recovery (note that Tony rattles off a few drug names too in that scene when - again, that conditional but functional curiosity).

Christopher doesn't "feel that way". He doesn't feel insignificant at all. And that's just the problem for him. Part of the fundamental insecurity that drive's Christopher's life and his decisions is his need for his life to have lasting meaning and significance, and problems arise when he tries to take shortcuts to that route starting all the way back in the pilot with him wanting to cash out on the mob life to become famous. He talks about "writing his memoirs" and his desire to be somebody, anybody in Hollywood, but we can also look back to one of the keystone scenes of his entire arc: when he talks to Paulie in season 1 about how he can't handle the fact that he "has no arc" and "no identity". Christopher makes it clear that Paulie's contentedness with "I'm alive, I'm surviving," is not good enough- "That's it", Christopher says, "I don't just wanna survive." I think Jerusalem or some Youtube comment pointed out, that it's disturbing how defeated and dark Christopher's mood is in that scene all the way back in Season 1, a much simpler and innocent time for Chris- before his inability to cope with "the loving regularness of life" being "too loving hard" for him lead him down the pitch-black road of heroin addiction and consigning his fiance to death to maintain his station in his world, only to be sidelined, humiliated, and ultimately murdered by the man he "gave pieces of his soul to".

It's unclear what exactly Tony loves about that fact about the Empire State Building and our place in the planet's history; fascination, comfort, the opportunity to share something for a little attention and social capital ("Get this!"), even bemusement at the New York-flavored framing of the cold fact that we're all dust in the wind. Easy enough for this to be a soothing thought for Tony, helping him deal with how "every decision [he] make[s] affects every facet of every other thing", to put in perspective how he goes about in pity for himself, as well as to make sense with his own mortality and his life decisions. In short: easy enough for him to say. But for Chris? How could he look back on the suffering he's been through at that point and find comfort in the fact that it all was "a big nothing"? It's impossible for him to accept that the totality of his experiences could only amount to a sliver of silver of a sliver in the grand scheme of the universe. He doesn't feel that way.

Edit 2: Is this the long shadow of Olivia Soprano, with her black-hole nihilism poisoning not just Tony Soprano and AJ's soul, but indirectly, Christopher's? Christopher cannot handle that it might be "a big nothing", which is the kind of crack-ping Olivia Soprano tries to inspire in everybody she meets. Does Oliva know that she claims Christopher as one of her victims? Is that why she wants to keep him in her orbit, to gaze upon her handiwork (her only real source of joy and pleasure in life)? After all, in a rare moment of mercy or even sentimentality, Olivia tells Junior to spare Christopher's life: "Tony loves him like a son. And so do I, Junior. He put up my storm windows one time." I don't know if Olivia ever expresses an opinion after that (alright, members of the audience who are on rewatches, help me find other examples of Olivia <-> Chris' relationship), but that's a pretty ringing endorsement- she didn't need to be that obvious to give the direction to Junior not to kill him. Is it some alarming kind of genuine fondness?

God, the richness this show squeezes into the smallest moments.

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 9, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
^^^^^^^^ excellent post

Mameluke posted:

I'm making a documentary. The World War II generation and their music, as exemplified by Ma.

I'm grinding my teeth just reading this.

Such an amazingly well-written character

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 8, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Thanks for the effort post. Allow me to do the opposite and shitpost a little.

Ralph Hurley posted:

"Wrap it up, Janice."

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

I was thinking about this microscene the other day from The Fleshy Part of the Thigh (Long post incoming).

Christopher doesn't "feel that way". He doesn't feel insignificant at all. And that's just the problem for him. Part of the fundamental insecurity that drive's Christopher's life and his decisions is his need for his life to have lasting meaning and significance...

"Not my son. He'll be proud of his house."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Telling the junkie he barely knows (did they literally meet that day?) "You'll come over!" was also incredible.

Also, awesome post Mushroom Zingdom :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Telling the junkie he barely knows (did they literally meet that day?) "You'll come over!" was also incredible.

Also, awesome post Mushroom Zingdom :)

Faces and the order of episodes are all jumbled up in my head, but iirc that was corey, or corky, or something like that; I feel like we saw him arranging assassinations in other episodes too, I think he's Chris's go-to guy for hits that need to be done by outside teams. real thanksgiving dinner material basically

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

Faces and the order of episodes are all jumbled up in my head, but iirc that was corey, or corky, or something like that; I feel like we saw him arranging assassinations in other episodes too, I think he's Chris's go-to guy for hits that need to be done by outside teams. real thanksgiving dinner material basically

Yeah, he was the guy who was the go-between with the Italian hitters because he can speak Italian and also Chris paid him in horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahh right, yeah I mixed that guy up with just some random junkie. Maybe the one who brought Christopher home and asked Adriana for some money and got all,"Ahhhh man...." when she told him to gently caress off?

Still, there was the episode where Christopher got high as gently caress during the Saint's festival and met that cool dog :shobon: