Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Saw my first accident on the can today! I saw this white sedan driving erratically so I hit the event button. She ended up rear-ending a guy at a stop light down the road, and I pulled over to give the guy my info.

Checking now, I realize I hit the wrong button and didn't get any of the footage because I paused the recording. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nocheez posted:

Saw my first accident on the can today! I saw this white sedan driving erratically so I hit the event button. She ended up rear-ending a guy at a stop light down the road, and I pulled over to give the guy my info.

Checking now, I realize I hit the wrong button and didn't get any of the footage because I paused the recording. Oops!

How did you mount the dashcam on your motorized toilet?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
loving autocorrect.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

How did you mount the dashcam on your motorized toilet?

Those little velcro straps that come with network cables and power supplies?

I don't understand the appeal of having to manually hit a button in order to save a video clip. I think that's that beeping noise in a lot of the Aus cam clips. Why wouldn't you want something like a dashcam or any other security-type camera to be 'always on'? Or is this that thing where it keeps it from overwriting that clip until you tell it to?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The latter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

The latter.

I get perhaps mashing that button if you end up actually in a wreck where the video will be necessary, but.. are people putting in 256MB SD cars or something? I can get hours and hours and hours on a 64GB card and if something interesting happens you better believe I'm plugging that poo poo in as soon as I get home to :justpost:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I get perhaps mashing that button if you end up actually in a wreck where the video will be necessary, but.. are people putting in 256MB SD cars or something? I can get hours and hours and hours on a 64GB card and if something interesting happens you better believe I'm plugging that poo poo in as soon as I get home to :justpost:

Yeah, same. Like, I get that people feel it's better to be safe than sorry, but seriously, how small are the microSD cards they're using?? My dashcam will store a couple of weeks' worth of trips, before it overwrites. I'm definitely gonna be able to get home and upload a hot new crash vid before it's overwritten. Or a day or two later, in case I somehow forget on the day

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Ok don’t push the button then.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PenisMonkey posted:

Ok don’t push the button then.

Thank you, I won't! :D
haha it's no big deal though, really - apologies if my post made it appear like I thought it was. Just seems a bit pointless is all v:shobon:v

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I dunno maybe long haul truckers like it since they won’t stop again for a few hours and when they do they’ll be busy taking a huge poo poo and putting fuel in their truck and they’ll forget to transfer the footage to a laptop or something.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PenisMonkey posted:

I dunno maybe long haul truckers like it since they won’t stop again for a few hours and when they do they’ll be busy taking a huge poo poo and putting fuel in their truck and they’ll forget to transfer the footage to a laptop or something.

Yes, very true! Truckers and people on long roadtrips should 100% be using the function. You're absolutely right on that, yeah.

I don't know about you, but I'd hate it if I went on a 10+hr trip and an impressive spinout I witnessed at the start was overwritten. Always seems like it's the regular suburban commuters who use the function, though. (Maybe they collect those vids and when they have X amount they upload and submit them? If so, that would explain why occasionally there'll be some random clip from 2018 in a 2021 compilation :D )

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I used it on my last road trip when I saw three different vehicles towing two different vehicles each in the span of 700 miles. It’s easier to just filter for the “locked” files than try to comb through 10 hours worth of 1 minute long videos.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ten years ago, the coaches I drove had drive cams mounted with one eye out the windshield and another shooting back to catch the driver and pax. We could reasonably be out for a week at a time, running 10+ hours a day or longer with relief drivers mixed in. We as drivers were locked out of the cams.

The save function was triggered by shock and G sensors, but you could also lean over and slap the red button with your clipboard if you wanted. Sometimes I'd do it if I'd seen something cool or crazy up ahead, and get a thumbs up from the safety manager later on.

I guess it's one of those features that's just there from inertia of it, so why get rid of it? Also for the safety manager, it was nice to have a curated playlist of all their drivers' hard brake events to look for hints of distracted driving.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Pressing the button is good if you're lazy, sure if I have something that really matters happen I'm pulling the card immediately but if it's just something little I might totally forget by the time I get home and not think about it until the next time I do pull the card and run through the saved clips.

Also if you have one of the older battery based cameras that can't old time anymore it becomes a lot more important since finding anything in the rolling buffer is impossible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PenisMonkey posted:

I used it on my last road trip when I saw three different vehicles towing two different vehicles each in the span of 700 miles. It’s easier to just filter for the “locked” files than try to comb through 10 hours worth of 1 minute long videos.

I don't have a dashcam but used a regular sports carmera on a recent road trip. I didn't catch anything super extraordinary but anything remotely interesting is buried between hours and hours of footage that I'm not particularly looking forward to scrubbing through all of that to get to the cool bits. Would be nice to just have button that marks the relevant files or timecodes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

12:23 as well. The clip starts pretty late in the buildup but there’s no way they shouldn’t have seen them start moving and had plenty of time to react. The horn goes first before the nose dips.

Dashcam videos also get posted on Reddit under idiotsincars and like half the time the camera car has the idiot who, if not actively breaking the rules, could've easily avoided the incident by taking the foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
So what is the thread’s recommendation these days? The Viofo A129 I’ve seen discussed a few times, I’d like to go front/rear, video doesn’t have to be top-of-the-line, and I have no experience with doing a proper hardwire job. Also would like it to be able to stay in the car for Texas summer heat. My car has a blind spot and backup cam, but I’d have to think tapping into those is not a great proposition.

Do hybrids have more trouble if I were trying to hardwire?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have a hybrid, the car still has standard 12v wiring in most of the normal places. The Viofo is nice, and install was a breeze for someone who is familiar with such things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
All the normal electronics are still 12v.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't have a dashcam but used a regular sports carmera on a recent road trip. I didn't catch anything super extraordinary but anything remotely interesting is buried between hours and hours of footage that I'm not particularly looking forward to scrubbing through all of that to get to the cool bits. Would be nice to just have button that marks the relevant files or timecodes.

Dashcam videos also get posted on Reddit under idiotsincars and like half the time the camera car has the idiot who, if not actively breaking the rules, could've easily avoided the incident by taking the foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

God help you if you suggest that people drive defensively there.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This got linked in a discord I am in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXGlNXJeEM

:stonk:

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/car-catapults-off-highway-99-in-yuba-city-crashes-into-road-below/

quote:

The woman behind the wheel survived, but that’s not the only miracle.

“It looks like they pretty much threaded the needle between the power lines,” Conejo said.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Them Duke boys at it again.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

"Threaded the needle"? Those power lines look pretty far apart, I wonder what they meant by... :stonk:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also they definitely make contact with one of them

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anybody have experience with the Garmin cameras? I’m thinking about a pair for front and rear coverage.

3 questions:

1. How useful is the screen, especially if there’s a wireless phone app? Seems easier to just hit the button and pull it up later on my phone.

2. GPS - how useful is it? I see the Garmins also have stuff like lane departure warnings and whatnot, which could be handy, but the GPS is only for the models with screens and I kind of like the idea of two Mini 2s.

3. Would a camera looking through the rear window set off the incident G-meter by closing the hatch?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Just got a dashcam for my van, and it comes with a cigarette lighter DC plug for power. Unfortunately, my DC port is always hot, so I'm worried about draining my battery leaving a dashcam plugged in there. I figured I could add a circuit on a switched power circuit, but a lot of the add a circuit stuff for dashcams says to find an always hot circuit. Granted, they have low power protection, but it seems like a waste to me- I might as well get a battery saver on the battery itself and protect all my circuits from excessive discharge and just use the cigarette lighter. Is there something I'm missing? Is there an add a circuit without low battery protection that has a mini-USB end that I could use on a switched circuit?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GOD IS BED posted:

Just got a dashcam for my van, and it comes with a cigarette lighter DC plug for power. Unfortunately, my DC port is always hot, so I'm worried about draining my battery leaving a dashcam plugged in there. I figured I could add a circuit on a switched power circuit, but a lot of the add a circuit stuff for dashcams says to find an always hot circuit. Granted, they have low power protection, but it seems like a waste to me- I might as well get a battery saver on the battery itself and protect all my circuits from excessive discharge and just use the cigarette lighter. Is there something I'm missing? Is there an add a circuit without low battery protection that has a mini-USB end that I could use on a switched circuit?

My work trucks are the same. I just bought switch activated adapter and push the button to turn on the camera every time I start the engine. Every so often I forget to turn it off, but the power draw is so low, it stays on for days at a time with no issue.

The adapter can also plug into OBD2 port for constant power.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

GOD IS BED posted:

Is there an add a circuit without low battery protection that has a mini-USB end that I could use on a switched circuit?

How I ran power to my cam, I cracked open the cigarette lighter plug that came with my cam and used its guts as the bridge between +12v to +5v USB, wrapping it in electrical tape and just kinda stuffing it in the fuse box. I soldered the +12v input lead to the pigtail of a fuse tap, plugged that into a switched circuit in the fuse box, and screwed the negative lead onto the chassis. Bing, bang, boom, pretty simple and all I had to buy was the fuse tap (and soldering stuff I already had).

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Hope your dashcam survives the eventual fire.

(Just kidding, I have no idea if that's safe or not and I'm too scared of my lovely wiring abilities to try it.)

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 22, 2021

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Thanks goons! I'll probably go for a switched plug just to keep things easy for now, but later crack open the DC adaptor when I know I have a backup cable.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

GPS in a dashcam - ‘great idea’, ‘necessary’, or ‘meh’?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Your GPS knows how fast you're going, and will tell anyone who watches the video. This may not be something you want.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A lawyer has advised us it's a bad idea. Garmin's early entries to the dashcam were quite bad but looks like the Mini 2 fixed the overheating issue. I usually check dashcamtalk forums.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Yeah, the Mini 2 is at the top of my list. I’m curious to see how well the G sensor likes being mounted to a hatch window.

flakeloaf posted:

Your GPS knows how fast you're going, and will tell anyone who watches the video. This may not be something you want.

I generally don’t go full send but that was a thought.

I’ll probably order a gross of Mini 2 cameras to get them set up on everything. I really like the ‘hide it behind the mirror, don’t obstruct vision at all’ aspect.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Re: wiring, I bought a kit from Viofo for like 25 bucks and it detects a low battery voltage and will stop drawing power. It's worth the peace of mind.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Advent Horizon posted:

GPS in a dashcam - ‘great idea’, ‘necessary’, or ‘meh’?

I can't think of a positive aspect of recording GPS unless it's to prove that you weren't speeding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

I can't think of a positive aspect of recording GPS unless it's to prove that you weren't speeding.

The timestamp is always accurate.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Unless it shows you were exactly 1mph over the limit, now him running a red light and T-boning you is 50/50 your fault!!

Platystemon posted:

Well it is half the year (daylights savings :argh: ).

e:
Passed this coming back from lunch today. Somebody released the sacred road water :nyd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbgZQz1VlE

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 23, 2021

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Just got a A129 Pro Duo :). Hopefully will have some good footage for you all soon.

The motion detection in parking detection is pretty useless though... glad I have so many videos of cars entering/leaving the parking garage.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I switched mine to do time lapse instead (4 or 5 fps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Platystemon posted:

Sure, but party A hits/damages party B, right?
It doesn't really matter what the time was.