Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1412997428115034116?s=20

quote:

Chinese ride-hailing giant Didi Global is being sued by US shareholders after a crackdown by Beijing triggered a slump in its share price.

The two lawsuits come a week after Didi's New York Stock Exchange debut.

The company's US market value has fallen by more than 20% since a Chinese regulator told online stores to pull the app.

Beijing's cybersecurity watchdog says the app illegally collected users' personal data.

The lawsuits, which were filed in federal court in New York and Los Angeles on Tuesday, say Didi failed to disclose ongoing talks it was having with Chinese authorities about its compliance with cybersecurity laws and regulations.

The complaints named Didi's chief Executive officer Will Wei Cheng and several other executives and directors. The lead underwriters for the company's share sale - Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase - were also named as defendants.

China's Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) announced on 2 July that it had begun to investigate Didi which had launched its US IPO days earlier.

Two days later it ordered smartphone app stores to remove the company's app from their platforms.

Didi has said it will "strive to rectify any problems", in a response on Monday.

The firm, which saw its market value fall by around $15bn (£10.9bn) on Tuesday alone, had the second-biggest ever US initial public offering (IPO) for a Chinese company, as it raised $4.4bn.

According to Bloomberg, which cited people familiar with the matter, Chinese regulators asked Didi to delay its share sale due to cybersecurity concerns as long as three months ago.

In Didi's prospectus, which was made available ahead of the IPO, the firm warned potential investors that their ability to protect their "rights through US courts may be limited, because we are incorporated under Cayman Islands law."

The document also mentioned some of the regulatory risks to its operations, but gave no indication that the CAC would start investigating the firm and ban it from accepting new users.

Founded in 2012, Didi is particularly popular in China's cities. On average, more than 20 million rides are arranged in the country through the app every day.

Didi, Goldman, Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the BBC.

Who else is Beijing investigating?

Also this week, Beijing said it would step up supervision of Chinese firms listed off-shore.

It set out new guidelines saying that watchdogs must improve cross-border co-operation over audits, and update rules "on data security, cross-border data flow and other confidential information management."

Shares in Chinese parent companies listed in the US such as truck-hailing firm Full Truck Alliance (FTA) and job-seeking platform, Kanzhun, tumbled after the announcement.

The update follows regulatory crackdowns by China on a number of tech firms, from Alibaba to food delivery service Meituan.

On Monday, the CAC also said that it plans to investigate FTA. Like Didi, FTA recently made its debut on the New York Stock Exchange, raising $1.6bn (£1.1bn).

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

In Didi's prospectus, which was made available ahead of the IPO, the firm warned potential investors that their ability to protect their "rights through US courts may be limited, because we are incorporated under Cayman Islands law."

hahahaha

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i see themes of self-sacrifice and martyrdom a lot too in military propaganda, which i don't see as much in the west. i'd like to learn more about the history of that.

lol what

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh man, Didi is the main ride sharing service I use (drivers tell me they pay the best)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wasn't hannity or some fox nutjob claiming china was stealing america genes for their athletes or something or just a few weeks ago? ahead of the curve

fake edit: found it

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1404966466970173441?s=20

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

crepeface posted:

wasn't hannity or some fox nutjob claiming china was stealing america genes for their athletes or something or just a few weeks ago? ahead of the curve

fake edit: found it

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1404966466970173441?s=20

60 minutes ran a piece on how the godless communist yellow hoard were gonna sucker us with free healthcare and steal our precious bodily fluids genes six fuckin' months ago

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1356037082037235713

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYGFSONKbk

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Red and Black posted:

According to this blog post I found, he actually destroyed two priceless ancient vases in the process of making the photo

He also painted the Coca Cola logo over another one???

lol what a loving hack. does America pay more to such charlatans abroad than it does to its own artists?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that too, they have a very recent memory of what happens when some rando cult gets too big and tries to make moves. They know there's a difference between 'hey this is my mosque, we do normal Muslim poo poo here' and 'here's a group of people that meet in a basement led by a dude who claims he can shoot fire out of his eyes but only if nobody looks'.

I wonder if there's a modern incarnation of the White Lotus, those guys have been around forever in one form or another.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MidnightMitch/status/1412887665113018371

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

China has the very recent memory of cults getting way out of control (Taiping Rebellion) so is much more untrustworthy of them.

this is probably a dumb question but I'm guessing the Chinese state regards the Taiping rebellion more in terms of the rebellion part than with any kind of connection to the social model that they tried to engender?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

also yikes that's pretty racist wtf

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

this is practically a universal theme in western military movies
i get that. but i'll see stuff where a soldier runs directly into heavy machine gun fire in a military recruitment ad as the narrator says "we use our lives to fulfill our duties." i don't see that as much. it's much more "how to advance your career."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWRembdPS8&t=63s

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZKnOCY32hg

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i get that. but i'll see stuff where a soldier runs directly into heavy machine gun fire in a military recruitment ad as the narrator says "we use our lives to fulfill our duties." i don't see that as much. it's much more "how to advance your career."

It's because they can't get away with that for PR purposes in their own ads; instead they leave that to the Hollywood movies they fund (and/or incentivize certain themes by refusing to provide support for movies which they don't like or show them in too negative of a light, which means most studios won't want to take on the extra funding involve in going around that), which gives them better plausible deniability and is probably overall much more effective.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

probably overall much more effective.

(looks at current army recruitment numbers)

lol nah

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

(looks at current army recruitment numbers)

lol nah

There’s other factors that feed into those numbers.

Do you think that if the US ran ads of their soldiers getting mowed down by machine guns it would be more effective?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think what would improve army recruitment numbers would be if army recruiters could point to literally anything the us army does at all that makes the world a better place for anyone

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is probably a dumb question but I'm guessing the Chinese state regards the Taiping rebellion more in terms of the rebellion part than with any kind of connection to the social model that they tried to engender?

IIRC the CCP views the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom with some sympathy, since they were rebelling against a turgid aristocratic Qing and had some very forward thinking gender politics. It's treated as a misguided pre-Marxist rebellion but not necessarily a bad one.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chinese mythology is cool but I wonder if Chinese gamers are less interested in games that have that as their subject due to familiarity

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

nah I think anyone would eat up a big glossy game doing local mythology. It's not like you're gonna get burned out on the subject matter when you have a million ways to present it in games.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol I guesstemate that about 30% of modern yearly chinese cultural output (tv, movies, etc) still has to do with journey to the west in some way, especially the monkey king. Chinese people are (rightfully) extremely proud of their classical tales and constantly are reinventing/repackaging them and pushing them out. these movies/tv shows do big numbers as well.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They should have copied the GOW games not the Souls games. Monkey King has sex with Baigujing and then cut off her head.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's a toy for children

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/LiuXininBeijing/status/1413058641695936515

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mirello posted:

lol I guesstemate that about 30% of modern yearly chinese cultural output (tv, movies, etc) still has to do with journey to the west in some way, especially the monkey king. Chinese people are (rightfully) extremely proud of their classical tales and constantly are reinventing/repackaging them and pushing them out. these movies/tv shows do big numbers as well.

:hmmyes:
i wish they would do another season of dragonball super

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
doesn't china already have a lego knock-off brand?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can get bootleg Legos at any street market, usually under the name LeLe or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Chinese mythology is cool but I wonder if Chinese gamers are less interested in games that have that as their subject due to familiarity

I dont know about mythology in itself but I know that a korean MMO set in a faux wuxia world was very popular in china and right now their most successful homegrown WoW clone is kinda heavy on the wuxia/immortals theme.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I want to cuddle with those sleepy panda babies so badly

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

uplift gusano voices and bodies

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know about mythology in itself but I know that a korean MMO set in a faux wuxia world was very popular in china and right now their most successful homegrown WoW clone is kinda heavy on the wuxia/immortals theme.

Huh, that's neat. I wish we did more with native American mythology in US games, it would be a nice departure from the euro swords and sorcery stuff we always see

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I also wish capitalists would find a new way to profit off the peoples they continue to push toward extinction

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yea most Chinese nerds seem to agree with western nerds that wuxia/xianxia poo poo still whips rear end

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Now thats the face of a Panda who fucks. Glad Xi taught pandas how to have swag.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the belt and road plan, but for pandas it's the pipe plan

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

they should make battlefield 1942 but its scrappy lil Mao&Zhou vs the well equiped japanese invaders and the unpredictable KMT, 3 way war

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

my whole life is that baby panda faceplanting

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

seems like the pandas are a victim of genocide too

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mantis42 posted:

You can get bootleg Legos at any street market, usually under the name LeLe or something.

yeah but I thought they had some company that just clones Lego sets but cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Antonymous posted:

they should make battlefield 1942 but its scrappy lil Mao&Zhou vs the well equiped japanese invaders and the unpredictable KMT, 3 way war

MGSV but set in 1947 Shaanxi