Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Germans got gung ho about footie while literally viewing the UK as their mortal enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Germans got gung ho about footie while literally viewing the UK as their mortal enemy

They're right

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pope Hilarius II posted:

if you're American (you post very Americanly) you should know that under the Geneva Convention you are forbidden to have an opinion about football as long as you insist on calling it soccer and instead use the name football for an interminable conveyor belt of violence that produces wifebeaters and drug addicts.

We call football football because a kicker kicks the ball with his foot.

So why do you call bad actors pretending to cry and roll around "football"?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

See also:

- It's just a bunch of millionaires chasing a ball
- it's not as good as rugby where real men play it and are nice to the referee
- somehow a game where players run while holding a ball is more accurately called football
- it's popular so I don't like it

Jog on mush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NLXrpImBCQ

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Soccer just seems like slower, softer, lamer hockey with bigger egos

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

You call football a sport that consists on kicking the ball 0.1% of the time yet using the hands and of course break everyone else's bones.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What's rugby?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

finger in butthole

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

She picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Not much, what’s rugby with you?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eleanor Rugby, the only good Beatles song.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Soccer just seems like slower, softer, lamer hockey with bigger egos

Sounds like somebody hasn't met many Canadian hockey players

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fister Roboto posted:

Eleanor Rugby, the only good Beatles song.

Fun trivia fact to impress your boomer parents: it's also the only Beatles track in which none of The Four play any instruments

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Rugby's fat balls hahaha gottem

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rugby, also known as football or footy, is a sport that involves moving the ball around with your hands and occasionally your feet.

Aussie Rules, also known as football or footy, is a sport that involves moving the ball around with your hands and occasionally your feet.

Gridiron, also known as American football or football, is a sport that involves moving the ball around with your hands and occasionally your feet.

Soccer is a sport that involves moving the ball around with your feet all the time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guillermus posted:

You call football a sport that consists on kicking the ball 0.1% of the time yet using the hands and of course break everyone else's bones.

Guys guys it's OK, there is no need for this. Both the sports called football suck.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Sounds like somebody hasn't met many Canadian hockey players

There are Canadian hockey players? Where were they last night, because I didn't see any.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

There are Canadian hockey players? Where were they last night, because I didn't see any.

[this kills the canadian]

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

All spectator sports suck loving rear end and that includes the one you like in particular, nerd

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

canyoneer posted:

Fun trivia fact to impress your boomer parents: it's also the only Beatles track in which none of The Four play any instruments

Alan Dean Foster thought it was a good song to use as an example for a character to show off how to play the guitar

I can't even picture how that would work

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

More embarrassing: England not winning the World Cup or Euros since the 60s, or the Canadians not winning a Stanley Cup since 1992. England has a longer streak, but Canada only plays against the US whereas England has to play against like several dozen other countries.

Discuss.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite sport is video games

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bike tory posted:

Soccer is a sport that involves moving the ball around with your feet all the time.

And also your chest and your head and your knee and...

They should call it nohandball for the sake of clarity.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

marshmallow creep posted:

Also your hands if you're a goalie and also if you're doing a throw-in, and.. hm. Sport is confusing.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

ranbo das posted:

More embarrassing: England not winning the World Cup or Euros since the 60s, or the Canadians not winning a Stanley Cup since 1992. England has a longer streak, but Canada only plays against the US whereas England has to play against like several dozen other countries.

Discuss.

The NHL is over 53 percent Canadians, so any Stanley cup win is a win for Canada. Maybe we just need more teams.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Skateboarding is not a crime

Criminalise football

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

It's like how an Antipasta is literally any food that is not pasta.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No idea, but those dudes have bigger egos than you can possibly imagine. It's crazy.

Son of Rodney posted:

All spectator sports suck loving rear end and that includes the one you like in particular, nerd

:agreed:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hockey chirps are good

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

So we had The Golden Generation, The Boomers, Gen X, Millenials, Zoomers and now there's whippersnappers calling themselves Gen A?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lodin posted:

So we had The Golden Generation, The Boomers, Gen X, Millenials, Zoomers and now there's whippersnappers calling themselves Gen A?

Zoomers are tentatively 2000-2020, so Gen A is probably not saying much right now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

sports are for literal morons

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Zoomers are tentatively 2000-2020, so Gen A is probably not saying much right now.

Gen A is 867-5309

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I think considering the cave man image "gen A" is some distant past generation (in contrast to modern gen z) and the joke is that people died quickly/young before modern medicine

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I think you might be overthinking it.
They might mean Gen A as in the logical start if you start assigning letters to each generation, aka the 1500-1600s-ish?

Which maps to the whole 'haha we might die whenever, maybe a plague? hey bb u want sum fuq'

e: fb^

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Gen A is a joke about the first humans, you God damned nerds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I figured that out instantly, from the context clues in the image. Also from you confirming it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

time is a flat circle

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

That doesn't make any sense, the letter A wouldn't have existed back then :confused: