Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Waltzing Along posted:

E3 in 2 weeks. Silksong when?

they already said they aren't showing anything at E3, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Check out this fool, or maybe not even a fool, who hasn't yet unlocked Hornet mode in Godhome

Admittedly I loving cratered in Godhome and didn't finish the last Pantheon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Admittedly I loving cratered in Godhome and didn't finish the last Pantheon.

:same:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

QuarkJets posted:

Check out this fool, or maybe not even a fool, who hasn't yet unlocked Hornet mode in Godhome

They could hide the secret to eternal life at the end of Godhome and I'd still not bother with it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I love watching people play through Godhome.

I still haven’t done the 4th or 5th Patheons myself. Just can’t find the motivation to grind them out.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've also started playing this during snippets of my toddler being asleep/actually entertaining herself.

I'm getting close to the end, after finally beating Broken Vessel this morning after almost giving the game up over them. A while back I did stop playing because of the Mantis Lords which I guess I fought too soon (I hadn't upgraded my nail at all). Guess it might be time to finally face them.

I am enjoying the game but I do wish there was an easier difficulty, even something as small as no damage from spikes or reducing the cost of charms. I'm not very good at platforming and I've definitely died to hazards more than anything (maybe equal with bosses). It's obviously very rewarding to finally beat that boss giving me trouble but with limited time I'd rather not have to fight a boss a dozen times, with running from a far away bench every time (gently caress you Soul Master). I'm just worried I'll get to the final set of bosses (I have not fought any of the dreamers yet, despite finding the one in Deepnest) and hit a wall. A lot of the remaining upgrades like pale ore and notches seem locked behind the colosseum and I feel like that might be beyond me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You don't fight The Dreamers.
The only thing the dream offers are boss refights.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Oh I guess I don't know what they're called then, the three ones marked on the map when you get the dream nail. I found the entrance to the one in Deepnest and noped the gently caress out until I have no other choice. I'm thinking the monarch wings and the shade cloak are good to have for the bosses so that's what I've been shooting for.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Humerus posted:

Oh I guess I don't know what they're called then, the three ones marked on the map when you get the dream nail. I found the entrance to the one in Deepnest and noped the gently caress out until I have no other choice. I'm thinking the monarch wings and the shade cloak are good to have for the bosses so that's what I've been shooting for.

You should at least give it a go! Deepnest is scary but you never know...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Artist: Brandon Bec, Manaus, Brazil

Really obsessed with this excellent piece by a true fan, adding the white to Hornet’s thread to make it pop is pretty inspired

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

This game is incredible. I get why so many people say it's one of their favorites.
I've been exploring mostly (though I did go and defeat Herrah so thanks for that tip). I love the areas in this game and while I think it could stand to have a few more fast travel points, getting around is surprisingly quick even without them. I'm also blown away at how much stuff there is to do and explore. I stumbled on the Hive and it's probably my favorite area even though the boss kicked my rear end. As did the Watch Knights but now I have the Shade Cloak which a lot of people say help with them. Overall I'm really enjoying this game and feeling pretty good that it only took a few tries for me to defeat Hornet the second time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think you need to use spoilers but it's great that you are seeing how great this game is.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I don't have to but there's at least one other goon playing the first time so I figured I may as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t mean to get anyone’s hopes up but Nintendo is hosting a countdown to their E3 panel and it’s just playing a loop of trailers and clips from their other recent direct and Silksong is part of the loop, so Nintendo is putting it front and center to their audience of 20,000 people watching the countdown.

Hope is the greatest folly, I know I know

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Team Cherry outright said already that Silksong is not going to be at E3 this year

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

lih posted:

Team Cherry outright said already that Silksong is not going to be at E3 this year

So?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

STOP IT... my heart can't handle being broken again

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

lih posted:

Why would I trust the words of a development team that has never even released a single Silksong?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nintendo really botched E3! New Metroid, New Mario Party, new trailer for Zelda… no Silksong! I hope someone got fired over that blunder!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seriously, gently caress you nintendo

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Nintendo really botched E3! New Metroid, New Mario Party, new trailer for Zelda… no Silksong! I hope someone got fired over that blunder!!!

It was me, I got fired. There was a big Silksong trailer in the schedule but I cut it out at the last minute and didn't tell anyone.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My uncle fired me :smith:

he said "shitshoe is not appropriate terminology for board meetings"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there an in-game way to copy a save file to an empty save slot? I'm wrapping up my second playthrough and want to banish the Grimm Troupe this time around so I can get the achievement, but I also want to be able to later go back and beat NKG on that file because I'm a lunatic.

E: also, second time through the White Palace was harder than I remember, but also shorter than I remember. Probably because I was able to pogo into some shortcuts? I couldn't find the room with the Collector's creation lab though :(

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 3, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

C-Euro posted:

Is there an in-game way to copy a save file to an empty save slot? I'm wrapping up my second playthrough and want to banish the Grimm Troupe this time around so I can get the achievement, but I also want to be able to later go back and beat NKG on that file because I'm a lunatic.

I don't think it can be done in-game but it should be pretty easy if you go into the file structure. Relevant info here: https://savelocation.net/hollow-knight

Alternatively NKG can be fought in Godhome even if you never fought him in the base game, you just have to clear the relevant Pantheon up to that point.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can fight him whenever in the hall with all the bosses even if you haven't "seen him" I'm fairly sure. If not that, then unlocking a Godseeker save file will surely unlock him as well. (And as a bonus, Godseeker has the NKG death charm rather than the banishment charm.)

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
What are my options for easy mode mods for this game, and what's a reasonable point to admit I need them? My incompetence is only matched by my stubbornness. I feel like the ability to :gitgudhorn: is entirely beyond me, but I worry that solving the "attempting this challenge is no longer fun" problem will introduce a worse "not feeling challenged at all isn't fun" problem.

I adore the atmosphere and the lore. I enjoy the feel of the controls and the wide array of charms and abilities I have to work with. I even like the general... pacing? Progression of challenge? Except for the part where it seems calibrated for someone with a higher baseline fluency in platforming. It feels fair, but still beyond me. I wish I had a better sense of how hard this game is intended to feel for someone not part of the masocore boss-rush-challenge crowd. There's something seriously demoralizing about being proud of beating Troupe Master Grimm only to find out that the rest of the universe only cares about the powered-up bonus boss version.

I definitely want to keep playing, and I don't want to leap right to some kind of total invincibility cakewalk mode. But, I dunno... could someone give me a ballpark of what a reasonable number of tries for a regular storyline boss might be? So I can tell if this is a transient moment of frustration, or if I'm just not cut out for a perfectly ordinary Hard Platforming Game experience, or if I'm actually as bad as I think I am?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some bosses maybe 5, some bosses maybe 50. The more pertinent question is “why do you feel like you won’t ever git gud?”

Hollow Knight is a game about Pattern Recognition vs Reaction Time, and one can really make up for the lack of the other, especially for all the base game bosses.

You’re basically asking “at what point should I just cheat” and I dunno, I would either just play the game without cheats or watch someone play the game on YouTube if you don’t feel like you can’t beat it without cheating

Edit: If you’ve already beaten Grimm, nightmare or not, then you’re already in the upper 90% of Hollow Knight players lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ftr if you can beat troupe master grimm you can beat nkg, you have to struggle some more to learn the new tells and answers but it’s fundamentally the same fight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean I can sort of understand the logic of using mods to play the base game to have the experience, but using cheats specifically to beat the optional super bosses or the optional challenge rooms seems to, uh, completely defeat the purpose of those challenges

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Uh yeah if you can beat troupemaster grimm you're doing fine and can beat any mandatory boss and most of the optional bosses in the game. You might be mistaking the opinions of massive fans of the game who have played multiple times and gotten everything with people who just play through the game and beat it. Which boss are you having particular trouble with other than NKG who is super super super optional? Have you got all the health/soul/nail upgrades and charms?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
If you've beaten Grimm not only can you definitely beat the game - at least the first couple of endings - but you can also beat Nightmare King Grimm, if you're so inclined. At least imo. It's harder but not that much different.

I don't know about modding the game but Quick Slash + Unbreakable Strength can melt bosses.

For what it's worth, I'm going through the exact same thing right now in Dark Souls 3 so I really sympathize. It is unreal how many times I've died on some of those bosses. It's sometimes easy to overvalue skill, but likewise easy to undervalue stubborness and persistence - those are qualities that can get you, and me for that matter, pretty far. If you're still enjoying the game then you're doing fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dybael posted:

I wish I had a better sense of how hard this game is intended to feel for someone not part of the masocore boss-rush-challenge crowd. There's something seriously demoralizing about being proud of beating Troupe Master Grimm only to find out that the rest of the universe only cares about the powered-up bonus boss version.

The game is not intended for (I assume you meant masochists?) its meant for average joes and that's part of why the game takes so long to give you any abilities at all, you spend literally hours just jumping and swinging a nail.

The DLC is intentionally designed to be more challenging, but its also entirely optional and came after the base game. If Grimm Troupe is too hard for you.... who cares? Just beat the normal game. Its just a bonus boss.

If what you like about Hollow Knight is the story and setting and mood, you've basically already seen all of the story and setting that comes with Grimm Troupe by the point you've gotten to the first boss fight. So who cares if you can't do it?

Have you beaten the rest of the game?

As for "average number of attempts per boss" that definitely varies HEAVILY depending upon the person and boss, so there's no real right answer. There are no doubt bosses you beat in like 2 tries that took me 10, and vise versa. Its how it goes. Don't overthink it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
You're doing fine, Grimm is really hard, if you got all the way to and through him then you have more than enough of whatever "baseline fluency in platforming" the game requires. If you're having trouble with specific bosses, ask us, we are full of advice. But the most important advice of all:

don't give up, skeleton

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Do not care about people talking up the bonus bosses. You don't even need to barely engage with them to get a satisfying feeling, I mean after all the game gives you the option to ignore the fight right then and there which feels like an admission of its difficulty. You can fight him later if you really want to. You're doing better than you think, and NKG is a challenge that personally took me days to overcome, so try not to compare yourself to others and beat stuff up as your leisure.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I died dozens of times to some bosses. Lost Kin in particular took me a long time, as did normal Grimm. I got through the standard ending blind, and the hidden ending with some walkthrough help.

Then I started watching speedruns, and realized I could play way better than I was. I was WAY too cautious and didn’t use spells nearly as often as I should have.

I still struggle with some fights because I suck at watching two bosses at once, but I can tear most of them apart pretty easily.

I’d seriously suggest watching some kills of bosses you’ve already beaten. If they kill the boss way too fast by abusing magic, watch a nail only kill or a full binding kill from the pantheons.

I’m a 41 year old with bad reaction times who mainly plays Animal Crossing. Trust me, you can Git Gud.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Oh my goodness, thank you, I really needed to hear all this. This could very well be my default problem-solving strategy at this point: Step one, complain about doing the clearly impossible thing; step two, do the thing. Maybe starting out dying three times to the Gruz Mother gave me a skewed idea of where I stand with this game. :sweatdrop: I'm averaging 8-10 attempts per boss - not counting Grimm, who is his own class of bullshit, or The Platforming Challenge To Reach And Rescue Bretta, which counts as a boss in my book because it took 28 tries. I guess I'm reasonably skilled, just feeling kinda burnt out.

Bust Rodd posted:

The more pertinent question is “why do you feel like you won’t ever git gud?”
I feel like I'm internalizing the wrong timings by stubborning my way through the game. I don't feel like I've learned the mechanics so much as I've learned to throw myself at a situation repeatedly until I get lucky.

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re basically asking “at what point should I just cheat” and I dunno, I would either just play the game without cheats or watch someone play the game on YouTube if you don’t feel like you can’t beat it without cheating
Eh... I think there's room between "git good" and "Youtube" for "I want to experience a challenge, but maybe not this much of a challenge."
Although - and maybe it's just me? - just having the option of lowering the difficulty gives me more determination to do it the 'right' way? I have more confidence when there's a fallback besides straight-up ragequitting.

Zaphod42 posted:

If what you like about Hollow Knight is the story and setting and mood, you've basically already seen all of the story and setting that comes with Grimm Troupe by the point you've gotten to the first boss fight. So who cares if you can't do it?

Have you beaten the rest of the game?
I was under the impression that getting a good ending involved doing some of the peripheral bonus challenge-y stuff? I feel bad for these pixel bugs and their crumbling ruin of a kingdom and I would feel even worse if I ended the game at the same level of tragedy. There's already a screen I go to absurd lengths to avoid because if I never actually see a bug succumb to the infection I can pretend it doesn't actually happen in my version of events. I get invested in these things. I'm not holding out hope for a happy ending given the elegiac atmosphere, but if there's something better than the status quo I want to reach it.

OzFactor posted:

You're doing fine, Grimm is really hard, if you got all the way to and through him then you have more than enough of whatever "baseline fluency in platforming" the game requires.
Not gonna lie, I beat him via the incredible power of liking his boss music too much. I'm still not sure how I did it, but I'm positive I only managed to beat him on my forty-seventh try because I swore to myself that if I hit 50 attempts I'd replace it with something ridiculous.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollow knight's best ending requires you to beat several technically optional challenges, but grimm isn't one of them. there is a secret ending for completing the hardest boss gauntlet but it's not exactly a happy one

combat-wise, grimm's base form is about on the same tier as the additional bosses you need to fight for the good ending, nightmare king grimm is a tier above that, and the final gauntlet is a 50-boss slugest with NK grimm as just one of those battles

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I never got through all of the pantheons. NKG and some other optional bosses The Radiance was pretty darn tricky felt like enough of an achievement for me, honestly.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the only cheevo I never got on steam was the "100% on steel soul" one - I am only mortal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Dybael posted:

There's already a screen I go to absurd lengths to avoid because if I never actually see a bug succumb to the infection I can pretend it doesn't actually happen in my version of events. I get invested in these things. I'm not holding out hope for a happy ending given the elegiac atmosphere, but if there's something better than the status quo I want to reach it.

Would this particular bug happen to be the [spoiler]happy singing miner? [/spolier] Because that one hurt my heart.

Whenever I hit a wall with a boss, I tend to bounce elsewhere for a while, or else I get sloppy from frustration. Mantis Lords took me a while, same with the Hollow Knight. There's a bunch of bosses I haven't been able to beat yet. I'll normally take a few different approaches, try switching around Charm combos and such. If after 10 attempts or so, I'm not making progress, I'll just ship off elsewhere before I get too pissed to keep playing.