Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I'll give it another go. Any tips for a starting character? I always try Duchy of Flanders in these games for the memes/anachronistic patriotism, but it's literally never worked out

What are the first things you should do when starting a new game/getting a new ruler, besides getting marriages sorted?

Rurik in the 867 start is one of the most fun ones in the game. You start as the big dog in the neighborhood, and you have nothing but options in terms of goals.

For a new ruler:

• Check your councillors
  • Make sure your kids have guardians (esp. your heir). This takes 1-2 days to process if your old character was the educator.
  • Double check the titles you hold. If you're way over your county limit or duchy limit people will hate you, but sometimes you want them too.
  • Check the lifestyle perks your new character has, if any. It's often worth resetting them. Be sure to choose a lifestyle.
  • Think about who you want to be your allies for this life, who your rivals will be, etc. Just more fun this way, and the game certainly won't do it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Coming off the high of barely winning the initial succession war, I immediately got offed by my wife because, while I was the previous King, my future King was an adultering deviant. I'm fine with it as that's basically CK.txt, but it seems like something you should have a bit more control over (the Adulterer and Deviant part), not that I know a good system for it. If I could see it following from the childhood traits it'd make more sense, but he was just, content, and forgiving. It wasn't the worst thing because I was planning on making as much gold as possible selling hooks but I didn't know one of those traits made you eat a bunch of stress every time you did it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This time I did the 867 start as Boudewijn, and I lost in exactly the same way. My vassals rose up against me, and I was completely powerless to stop them as I only had one county due to the dumb succession law that nearly everyone starts out with. My playthroughs just cannot survive the death of my first ruler.

I'm not giving up but that's enough for today

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
disinherit or murder extra kids if your heir already has an heir of their own

also raid if you're not feudal/clan to get money for mercs

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Coward posted:

In CK3 I find military alliances through marriage to be way more important than in CK2. Regularly check who you can get on side if you have spare family knocking about. This can help make sure bullies don't declare war on you while you're bullying others.

Yeah. Personally, I like to have as many children as possible to have either children or siblings to marry off to anyone potentially dangerous that isn't my next target of focus. The partition succession is only ever a problem at the county level. (Though, perhaps this will get nastier with the new Man at Arms change)

If you foster good relations between your kids, they'll frequently be very willing to ally with each other/you once you're playing as one of them. Vassals that are allied to you cannot join factions. Having extra relatives to toss around is generally always a bonus.

Still have too many siblings and children? Marry them off (make sure it's the appropriate type of marriage if they're women) to talented people you can hire as council members, knights, and physicians.

You can even get alliances or excellent courtiers by strategically using the surviving parent when you inherit, if you're lucky enough to have one. Someone once mentioned feeling guilty about using their mother to fill out their knights. Mumsey is married to a brave, compassionate, forgiving herculean blademaster half her age who can sharpen his sword on his own abs. Mumsey is just fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I thought everyone started with house seniority in 867? Thats was what I had at the start in my last game, has a duke in Italy. I was only able to switch to partition much later.

But it was my only game starting on 870, I guess it depends on your culture or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Most everybody starts with Confederate Partition. House Seniority is a cultural thing.

Phlegmish posted:

This time I did the 867 start as Boudewijn, and I lost in exactly the same way. My vassals rose up against me, and I was completely powerless to stop them as I only had one county due to the dumb succession law that nearly everyone starts out with. My playthroughs just cannot survive the death of my first ruler.

That's what alliances are for. Marrying your vassals might be tricky because many of them will be your brothers (though if you land your kids ahead of time they'll often ally with each other naturally), but marrying your daughters off will give you the family ties to negotiate alliances I think. Also having a bunch of MaA (good ones mind you, Light Footmen go home) will also insulate you from that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think that's what I need, I keep getting overthrown by MY OWN loving BROTHER once I'm playing as the primary heir. How do I get my kids to like each other?

I didn't even know you could create a specific type of men-at-arms, interesting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's what I need, I keep getting overthrown by MY OWN loving BROTHER once I'm playing as the primary heir. How do I get my kids to like each other?

if you get their relations with you really high, they’ll get a “liked their predecessor” relationship bonus with your heir. You can’t really force characters to change their opinion of a character other than you outside of a handful of events. You can give non-heirs to guardians with the content trait in hopes they get it as well and are less likely to want to conquer more land

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Your siblings are your most dangerous opponents in general. If you want them to like each other land them both ahead of time and hope they negotiate an alliance.

And Men At Arms are hella strong. Get Armoured Cav if you can afford 'em, Armoured Foot if not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fratricide#Ottoman_Empire

you must follow history

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Phlegmish posted:

Check the succession tab regularly (especially with Confederate Partition). If your player heir is due to be given only a single county, that means you have either too many heirs or not enough land. Make sure you always have your maximum amount of counties when possible

If you're only a Duke it's hard to go too big without succession giving your siblings independence, but you should basically just keep conquering (keeping an eye on your Offensive War modifier) and give all excess (but not junk) counties to your player heir. If you have junk counties (no buildings, etc), give them to the 2nd/3rd/etc heirs so your heir gets the good ones.

Make sure you have as many MaA as you can afford (if you have big cash reserves, it can be ok to lose a little gold when raised, debt is bad though) because the player heir inherits them all. And with the latest patch, newly landed characters (eg your rival siblings) may be given some for free.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Your siblings are your most dangerous opponents in general. If you want them to like each other land them both ahead of time and hope they negotiate an alliance.

I had a great run going as future-khan-of-khans (hadn't been able to move my capital to the steppe) when suddenly my ruler was murdered by one of his vassals, and his heir was an 8-year-old boy who, in under a year, was murdered by his sister, who is sadistic, impatient, and lazy. I don't feel like playing as a fratricide! Especially not one who arranged for that 8-year-old's favorite doll to be tied up over the castle parapets so he'd try to rescue it before falling, so sadly, to his doom!

So basically, siblings are a problem.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly it would probably be nice if they swapped the levy reinforcement rate innovations with a direct bonus instead.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zonohedron posted:

I had a great run going as future-khan-of-khans (hadn't been able to move my capital to the steppe) when suddenly my ruler was murdered by one of his vassals, and his heir was an 8-year-old boy who, in under a year, was murdered by his sister, who is sadistic, impatient, and lazy. I don't feel like playing as a fratricide! Especially not one who arranged for that 8-year-old's favorite doll to be tied up over the castle parapets so he'd try to rescue it before falling, so sadly, to his doom!

So basically, siblings are a problem.

kill them before they kill you

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

kill them before they kill you

I couldn't kill her, sway her, befriend her, or even seduce her until I was 16!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

crusader kings 3: death solves all problems. no siblings, no problems

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

If you're only a Duke it's hard to go too big without succession giving your siblings independence

Just to pick up a select bit of this, I will argue that your siblings becoming independent is a good thing. It's more Renown, and if you need to control their territory for some reason it's easy to steal their top level title back, since they are in exactly the same precarious situation you are.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

PittTheElder posted:

Just to pick up a select bit of this, I will argue that your siblings becoming independent is a good thing. It's more Renown, and if you need to control their territory for some reason it's easy to steal their top level title back, since they are in exactly the same precarious situation you are.

Yeah. Certain things in this game get a bad reputation they don't deserve.

Lower crown authority is another maligned "problem" that's frequently good, because you'll look away for a few minutes and suddenly you control almost all of Morocco somehow.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah. Certain things in this game get a bad reputation they don't deserve.

Lower crown authority is another maligned "problem" that's frequently good, because you'll look away for a few minutes and suddenly you control almost all of Morocco somehow.

True but only in my last game I learned you can have that with any crown authority: you just have to modify your vassal contracts adding "sanctioned wars". And since they like it, you can also rise their taxes or levies along for free

PittTheElder posted:

Most everybody starts with Confederate Partition. House Seniority is a cultural thing.

Ah, so I had and easier time than most. Although house seniority sucks a lot when your dynasty starts to get old: I got locked on a string of 60+ years old rulers for a while, so I had to deal with succession every 5-10 goddamn years

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 9, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Karling restoration is well on it's way. Since this point I have reconquered the breakaway Gascogne counties, that fish heraldry county and one of Touluse's counties. I have also vassalized the Duchy of Bar and conquered the Duchy of Barcelona.

Have a ton of sons, we really need an investiture DLC. Gave my heir the county of Vermandios when he was like 8 or something so he could start working on his RPG stats as soon as he came of age. Have since given one son two random counties across the map. Gave another two counties in the Duchy of Orleans and the Dukedom. Gave another three counties in Barcelona and the Duchy. Gave another the other three counties in Barcelona. And still have one toddler who is due to get two counties in the middle of Valois. Definitely going to try and conquer more of Spain if I live long enough to ward that off.

Other Karlings of note are the King of Jerusalem, the Duke of Flanders, the Duke of York and the Duke of Galicia.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 9, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmmm. You guys are right, I need to start thinking ahead. So, playing as Boudewijn in the 867 start, I start out with the counties of Bruges (which owns) and Ieper. If I give Ieper (which isn't worth as much) to my primary heir in advance, will he still get Bruges when I die?

I just can't trust my goddamn poo poo-rear end brothers even though we're all Boudewijn Boudewijnszoons

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

Hmmm. You guys are right, I need to start thinking ahead. So, playing as Boudewijn in the 867 start, I start out with the counties of Bruges (which owns) and Ieper. If I give Ieper (which isn't worth as much) to my primary heir in advance, will he still get Bruges when I die?

I just can't trust my goddamn poo poo-rear end brothers even though we're all Boudewijn Boudewijnszoons

I haven't played in a while, but my understanding was that Ieper would be considered to be his inheritance which you have gifted to him "in advance" so Bruges would go to his brother.

There's a perk in one of the trees that allows you to play family man and make your children become friends with their siblings etc. That might help a lot; friends are mechanically hindered from taking some actions against one another (factions, IIRC) and in general the AI won't dick you over quite as much if they're your friend. It makes for more stable successions.

Alternative is to eat the tyranny malus of just chucking the brother in jail and having men at arms or raised levies ready to besiege his province if he escapes your capture attempt.

Another alternative is one of the intrigue trees that allows you to kidnap people, but I can't remember if it allows you to do that against your own family.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

He would (since your primary heir effectively always gets your capital), but it won't let you grant your primary heir a title he's not already set to inherit (cause otherwise it'd be real easy to circumvent the partition system), so you won't be able to give him that county.

If you want to pass more land on to your primary heir, acquire more land and give that out to your other sons. Revoke lands of vassals you don't like. Gobble up some of the land to your south.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I thought everyone started with house seniority in 867? Thats was what I had at the start in my last game, has a duke in Italy. I was only able to switch to partition much later.

But it was my only game starting on 870, I guess it depends on your culture or something?

There are two people who start with house seniority.

The Duke of Bohemia, who has Czech culture. Once the Czechs (or Slovakians) research their special cultural tech, any Czech/Slovakian ruler can use house seniority.

And what you ended up with, the secret cheat code of the Duke of Verona. It's tied to the title d_verona, but as of the 1.4 patch it's not inheritable by anyone else. Pre-1.4 it was possible to take your standard unreformed tribal viking, and conquer Verona, getting house seniority for any culture. It changed so now it starts with it, but if the title is usurped or destroyed it won't transfer. It's still possible to get an early house seniority by using inheritance shenanigans, but a lot more difficult.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

binge crotching posted:

The Duke of Bohemia, who has Czech culture. Once the Czechs (or Slovakians) research their special cultural tech, any Czech/Slovakian ruler can use house seniority.

And what you ended up with, the secret cheat code of the Duke of Verona. It's tied to the title d_verona, but as of the 1.4 patch it's not inheritable by anyone else. Pre-1.4 it was possible to take your standard unreformed tribal viking, and conquer Verona, getting house seniority for any culture. It changed so now it starts with it, but if the title is usurped or destroyed it won't transfer. It's still possible to get an early house seniority by using inheritance shenanigans, but a lot more difficult.

Ah, thats what happened then.

I actually started as duchy of Friuli, using a custom character, but he also has the duchy of Verona (edit: I think, now Im not sure)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Duchy of Munster, D. of Bohemia and D. of Sicily in 1066 are the "beginner" starts.

Huh that's funny coincidence. The three games I've started so far have all been the "beginner" starts? Boy I gonna have to get to the "next level" at some point, but I've been enjoying playing these ones. I'm kind of doing all three at once right now.

I started with Dutchy of Munster because it was obviously the tutorial. Then when I was mostly done that I started Bohemia 1066 because someone here recommended it as interesting and I wanted to try a game when I was in the HRE. Dutchy of Bohemia def seems kinda OP and the czech partition makes things super easy. All the pagans up north are easy pickings to expand.

The other night I was chatting with an Italian Canadian pal of mine and he was talking about his "ancestral homeland" of his grandparents was Calabria, so I thought I'd play a game there in 1066 and name my heirs after him. I don't think I actually started as the Duke of Calabria but rather instead the Count owning the specific county at the toe of the boot. Probably doesn't much matter though. In any case it's a good start for the same reason, that you can easily expand using holy wars in Sicily.

In this run last night I played just long enough until the previous Duke of Calabria died, his kingdom split in two, and I could have an independence war against him now that I was no longer allied with him. I quickly after I was independent I invaded his relative who was the new Duke of Calabria and took that for myself.

Not sure where to go from here really. I think the next obvious step is to holy war and create the Dutchy of Sicily and go from there. Pretty soon after that though I'll collide with the Papacy and even worse the HRE. Not sure how to navigate expansion there...

I may have been foolish in marrying off my family when I was merely a small fry count, as no one seemed interested in alliances except for minor Sardinian Dukes. I bet I'd get more interest now that I'm a Duke myself. Whoops.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I haven't played in a while, but my understanding was that Ieper would be considered to be his inheritance which you have gifted to him "in advance" so Bruges would go to his brother.

There's a perk in one of the trees that allows you to play family man and make your children become friends with their siblings etc. That might help a lot; friends are mechanically hindered from taking some actions against one another (factions, IIRC) and in general the AI won't dick you over quite as much if they're your friend. It makes for more stable successions.

Alternative is to eat the tyranny malus of just chucking the brother in jail and having men at arms or raised levies ready to besiege his province if he escapes your capture attempt.

Another alternative is one of the intrigue trees that allows you to kidnap people, but I can't remember if it allows you to do that against your own family.

PittTheElder posted:

He would (since your primary heir effectively always gets your capital), but it won't let you grant your primary heir a title he's not already set to inherit (cause otherwise it'd be real easy to circumvent the partition system), so you won't be able to give him that county.

If you want to pass more land on to your primary heir, acquire more land and give that out to your other sons. Revoke lands of vassals you don't like. Gobble up some of the land to your south.

Alright, I'm going to give it another go. No more fooling around. It's almost the 11th of July so I want my ancestors to smile down upon me (my parents actually are from West Flanders specifically so don't @ me)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

What’s the historical reasoning for giving seniority to the Verona start?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What’s the historical reasoning for giving seniority to the Verona start?

Shakespeare maybe? Googling says the title “duke of Verona” didn’t exist outside of his plays

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

The other night I was chatting with an Italian Canadian pal of mine and he was talking about his "ancestral homeland" of his grandparents was Calabria, so I thought I'd play a game there in 1066 and name my heirs after him. I don't think I actually started as the Duke of Calabria but rather instead the Count owning the specific county at the toe of the boot. Probably doesn't much matter though. In any case it's a good start for the same reason, that you can easily expand using holy wars in Sicily.

In this run last night I played just long enough until the previous Duke of Calabria died, his kingdom split in two, and I could have an independence war against him now that I was no longer allied with him. I quickly after I was independent I invaded his relative who was the new Duke of Calabria and took that for myself.

Not sure where to go from here really. I think the next obvious step is to holy war and create the Dutchy of Sicily and go from there. Pretty soon after that though I'll collide with the Papacy and even worse the HRE. Not sure how to navigate expansion there...

I may have been foolish in marrying off my family when I was merely a small fry count, as no one seemed interested in alliances except for minor Sardinian Dukes. I bet I'd get more interest now that I'm a Duke myself. Whoops.

Yeah the Kingdom of Sicily is good goal.

Then do the good Norman thing and go invade the Roman Empire

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 9, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Karling restoration continues to go well. Those Aftasid enclaves in Northern Spain were soon returned to Castile in a 3rd crusade and a distant cousin became a duchess in those territories. I've also subjugated Brittany since this screenshot. Unfortunately my heir has become a lunatic who murdered his brother for a duchy, so I disinherited him after this. A shame, the eyepatch looks cool. I'm preparing to go to war for Normandy, should that succeed before I die this character will have gone from Duke of Valois to Emperor of Francia in his own lifetime.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm considering buying CK3. Should I buy the package with the DLC included or just buy the base game?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm considering buying CK3. Should I buy the package with the DLC included or just buy the base game?

The only DLC that has been released so far is a mini-DLC, Northern Lords, which as the name implies is Viking focused. It's a ton of fun to play as one right now, but if you're not playing as a Norse there isn't much benefit to it.

The next DLC is a full expansion, and looks to greatly change the way cultures work, along with adding some sort of inventory system and probably other things. The culture changes are the ones that look the most interesting to me from what I've seen so far.

There is another mini-DLC coming at some point, but no details on it at all.

I don't know what the price difference is between the base game or game + DLC, but if you think you're going to play the game long enough, get the bundle to save some cash.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I finally formed the Empire of Carpathia which is both a badass title and thing to see on the map BUT

1) What's the difference between an empire and a kingdom really?
2) Can I move the capital? I don't control that duchy .. Visigrad I believe. My vassal does.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Titles comes in tiers, they go Barony - County - Duchy - Kingdom - Empire. Each tier (usually) contains 2-6 of the next lowest tier, so an empire usually consists of several kingdoms, each of which consists of several duchies. There are some exceptions, though; titular titles have no land associated with them at all, for example. Tier has some direct effects, like generating prestige and allowing you to take different decisions, plus you can only have vassals of strictly lower tier - if you want to vassalize the Pope, for instance, you have to be an emperor, because the Papacy is itself a king-level title. Being able to have kings as vassals is probably the most important distinction of being an emperor.

You can move the capital to any county in your demesne, though there’s a cooldown. If you don’t control the capital duchy, you should indeed fix that, either by moving it or getting your hands on that duchy.

megane fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 11, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

megane posted:

Titles comes in tiers, they go Barony - County - Duchy - Kingdom - Empire. Each tier (usually) contains 2-6 of the next lowest tier, so an empire usually consists of several kingdoms, each of which consists of several duchies. There are some exceptions, though; titular titles have no land associated with them at all, for example. Tier has some direct effects, like generating prestige and allowing you to take different decisions, plus you can only have vassals of strictly lower tier - if you want to vassalize the Pope, for instance, you have to be an emperor, because the Papacy is itself a king-level title. Being able to have kings as vassals is probably the most important distinction of being an emperor.

You can move the capital to any county in your demesne, though there’s a cooldown. If you don’t control the capital duchy, you should indeed fix that, either by moving it or getting your hands on that duchy.

Also, the vassal limit for an empire is a lot higher, which is soon important too

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wish there was some sort of Will system instead of the game automatically distributing titles because it always does it in the most cack handed way possible. Like you die and then it throws you to a succession screen where you divide up your titles in way that accords with your current succession law where everyone gets x dutchies or x counties, but gives you a bit of say in who gets what. Because say I rule England and am in the process of conquering Ireland I might want Dublin to go to my primary heir along with London (or something along those lines).

Same, i've wanted this for so long. Random inheritance never really felt good in the previous games but with this one locking you to gavelkind for so much longer i feel the game needs something better. I could see it working kinda like peace treaties in HoI4 where you have to select to please everyone in the alliance.

Your kids traits should affect it too, for example a greedy or ambitious second kid should be very hard to please.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I looked at the research screen and it is indeed kind of insane how long you're stuck with the garbage default partition system. I deliberately don't develop the counties outside of my capital one, because they'll just go to my heir's potential enemies anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if you're north germanic culture and a king, put Scandinavian elective on duchies you* want your heir to inherit because you get to pick who inherits it

*all land owners under the title get to vote but if you're holding onto the good counties your voting power will basically make your vote the only one that matters