Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Mimesweeper posted:

a couple guys at work today were talking about shibacoin and i hope they don't end up holding a bag. they're nice kids. i hope they manage to get rich

if they do, they will just get worse. better for their sakes they get poo poo on by crypto early and realise it's for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

loving lol

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Dawncloack posted:

This is all fun and games, but if someone does it, know that the implementation can be much better.

Translating memes, like translating poetry, is nigh-impossible.

Source: I'm a professional translator.

This was 100% intended to be a joke, but I do not doubt it can be improved upon. I literally entered 'poo poo coin' into G translate and changed the output languages so I woiuld REALLY suspect that it is less than ideal even under the best of circumstances.

Your point is well taken regarding poetry, nuances of languages are hard to deal with.

Having written all that let me be perfectly clear: buttcoin

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

This was 100% intended to be a joke, but I do not doubt it can be improved upon. I literally entered 'poo poo coin' into G translate and changed the output languages so I woiuld REALLY suspect that it is less than ideal even under the best of circumstances.

Your point is well taken regarding poetry, nuances of languages are hard to deal with.

I really have to agree with your conclusion here.

Also, your name makes me think that you’re an alcoholic which basically makes you my kind of degenerate.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tehinternet posted:

Also, your name makes me think that you’re an alcoholic which basically makes you my kind of degenerate.

I keep reading it as "ilovebeersmooch"

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

I know, my professional spider-sense took the best of me, and I answered a joke seriously. I should not do that.

Oh also: Moneda del culo. Culo! CULOOOOOO!!!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

tehinternet posted:

I have been known to enjoy the occassional libation

LordSaturn posted:

I keep reading it as "ilovebeersmooch"

I mean, you're not wrong in that is what I do

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/interlunations/status/1413167704333164546

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this is good for bitcoin

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

drk posted:

<good news for bitcoin>

these exchanges both operate outside China now, so does this mean that there are two sets of exchanges for each? one inside China and one outside? Or is this China :sever:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
As far as I know, most cryptocurrency related services were already not allowed to operate in China, though this was mostly all talk until earlier this year, when enforcement seemed to step up. However, they hadnt actually blocked exchanges with the great and powerful (fire)wall of china until today. A followup tweet said backend API calls are getting blocked too, so the smartphone apps wont work without a VPN.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Is there an expectation that any/all wallets located in China (or at least behind the firewall) are (eventually) unusable and therefore lost for all intents and purposes? If so, what kind of coin loss are we talking about here that is gone forever, and will there be any adjustment to mine new coins or just roll with what's left and it becomes more "valuable"?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Is there an expectation that any/all wallets located in China (or at least behind the firewall) are (eventually) unusable and therefore lost for all intents and purposes?

Why would they be? There are lots of ways someone could move their private keys outside of China.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, I dont think much of anything would be lost forever. No regulation can be enforced 100%, and its not like existing laws on capital controls work perfectly. A cryptocurrency key is really just a big number (or sometimes represented as a string of 20 words or so, that one could memorize with practice). So, so long as people are willing to break the law, which they arguably were already, those assets will probably be spent or cashed out in a safer location.

Heavy handed enforcement of the current rules and regulations certainly would likely reduce new money entering into the system though, and reduce the volume of transactions.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Hammerite posted:

Why would they be? There are lots of ways someone could move their private keys outside of China.

I grossly oversetimated the potential impact, and in hindsight, I am an idiot

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ad by Khad posted:

"we're all early" to this thing we've been posting about for 12 years

its like how coiners used to compare it to "the early internet" except they are comparing it to 2008

to be fair, nobody in 2008 thought the internet was any good

and by 2021 they were clearly correct

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Plinz/status/1413012411418779654

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

With no context that reads like a Poe's Law thing - is it genuine or is it parody?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
its some bay area AI IS THE FUTURE tech dweeb, for context

you know, the ones ruining the world with ~algorithms~

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

This is either unparalleled hubris or stupidity,, I can’t tell which though

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I’m offended at this. Bityis the best because even if electricity isn’t anywhere you can just set up a mesh HAM-radio net with all the other radio enthusiasts in 972 France.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is either unparalleled hubris or stupidity,, I can’t tell which though

The two are often hard to distinguish.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://videocardz.com/newz/cryptominers-now-selling-geforce-rtx-3060-cards-for-as-low-as-270-usd-after-mining-crackdown-in-china

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

they've probably been beat half to death.

still, good news

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
That guy is kidding, it's a good post

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Offering used GPUs, memory slightly burned out.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Used GPU, never played a game.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/08/bitcoin-mining-texas-electricity/

Saw this today in the Washington Post. its about how Texas is seeing an increase in large Bitcoin mining operations to the point the people that run the Bitcoin "mines" get calls from the eletric council in Texas asking them to shut down for a few days since the grid is stressed during high volume times. Since this is not just the USA but Texas it gets even stupider when you learn the electrical council then pays the Bitcoin miners for lost productivity. Just wtf. The article also mentions the operation they followed for the story will double in size in the next 6 months.

They try to justify this by saying the Bitcoin "mines" are bringing jobs back to the area but also admits the town lost 2,000 jobs and at best the Bitcoin "mine" has created 100 jobs, which they also admit is nothing compared to what was lost.

Good thing the Texas electrical grid is strong and resilient and hasn't had any high profile failures in the past couple of years.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Offering used GPUs, memory slightly burned out, backdoor chips soldered on

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bitcoin is now backed by the full faith and credit of the Texas electrical board.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The thing they use to make that claim is if your country is falling apart and the banking system is about to collapse and wont let you withdrawal money, you can still buy bitcoin with it and transfer that out. Or so they say. At least that was how people tried to explain it to me. I feel like if your country is collapsing, you might not even have power or a computer to get your money into crypto or get it transferred or do whatever.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Have you not watched the Book of Eli? Just avoid the highwaymen and roll into barter town to buy a charge for your Iphone with bitcoin.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

nomad2020 posted:

Have you not watched the Book of Eli? Just avoid the highwaymen and roll into barter town to buy a charge for your Iphone with bitcoin.

No you show your superiority to the highwaymen, show that you are a true captain of industry, by showing how true capitalism works.
Then they will doff their caps, bow, and follow you until you dispense them for those that will work for cheaper.
And they will be happy for being tossed aside or killed, knowing that they were a part of Bitcoin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Before I ask this just let me LOL.

Has there been any serious planning in the bitcoin community on how to maintain the network post-internet? Last I knew we gave up on the Bitcoin satellite idea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think they want to run it over shortwave radio so yeah, LOL

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The noble Bitcoin will be venerable enough by then to use like rai stones. I've previously suggested using bits of toilet paper with faces drawn on to track their use off network, but I think we know now that toilet paper will probably be gone before internet.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Oh, the bitcoin satellite is a thing: https://blockstream.com/satellite/

But, the ground stations are connected to the internet, and its a one way system. So yeah, in a hypothetical post-internet world, it wouldnt do anything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The obvious solution is to tattoo your servants with all your transactions.
Then peel them every few years for more scar tissue to allow more tattoing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ukrainian-authorities-recover-500-gpus-3800-ps4-crypto-bust

I think this is the first time miners have been spotted using jailbroken consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

While officially crypto is banned in China, that hasn't been enforced at all in the past decade. However now

https://twitter.com/interlunations/status/1413167704333164546