Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

SubNat posted:

Shouldn't he be washing that off asap, or are just some concretes less caustic than others?

e:fb ^

The worry if you are engulfed is less that it's caustic, and more that the reaction that hardens concrete releases heat.

So a thin layer is fine, but probably an irritant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I thought walking the plank happened the other way, but this certainly looks more effective. A good bump to the head ensures drowning.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Always bugs me when people drop their phones when poo poo goes off. You already filmed the car crash and you aren’t gonna be helping, just keep filmin.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got some home grown osha for you.

So we're finishing up a major install project at the airfield where I do ATCALS work; getting rid of ancient GRR and GRTs, analog ATC radios from forever ago and replacing them with ones that are only a one or two generations old at this point.

I got us a 40 cubic yard dumpster for throwing away decades of crap, and we ended up filling it up twice, with the final time being half full. One of the dumpster companies guidelines was that we were not to have material pass over the lip of the dumpster (nor are we to have "several" mattresses in there). One of the final items to go was the big reel of antenna cable the installers were using; it would have fit fine if it went in flat, but of course it tipped and went in upright, resulting poo poo over the top of the lip.
It was me, my one single coworker (shop sup was already back home), and the forklift operator we borrowed from the warehouse nearby. Coworker begins trying to use a cargo strap to attach the bottom of the reel to the forklift's forks, hoping that the forklift could flip it inside the dumpster somehow. Maybe this would work if the strap was attached on the far end of the reel from the lift, not the near end, but I doubt it. Coworker tries this while I go to see if we have a sawzall somewhere to cut the wood off, as I see this to be the only way to make it all work.

Coworker's attempts to get the cargo straps to tighten around the forks aren't working, and he is getting extremely, vocally, frustrated, shouting "Damnit!" and "Piss!" at the cargo straps that aren't working. I tell him to stop, as the physics of it all clearly aren't going to work, and we have some warehouse dudes coming over to cut the top off. Frustrated at the straps, at the reel for not falling properly , and at being told to stop his bad idea, he grabs a sledgehammer to try to hammer the reel apart.

So, he climbs ontop, wearing some sort of cross between work and dress shoes (did not look no slip), standing on top of the slick antenna cables themselves, swinging a sledgehammer around, hammering the thing he is standing on, which is not laying steady on the dumpster metal but a pile of trash so it shakes with each hammer blow, above a pile of semi-rusted metal scrap.

I tell him to knock it off more, that we are not in a rush, and that people with the proper tools are coming. Told him that it is massively unsafe and to stop before he hurts himself, to which he replies "Since when do you care about safety? We've been doing unsafe stuff for the past few weeks!".
I have no clue what he is talking about, we were mostly uninvolved in the install project's more risky tasks and even those were carried about by a dedicated team of installers who were all using proper PPE and following standard procedures. I guess I removed a big 3KVA UPS that was hardwired into a breaker, but even then I had used a multimeter and went slowly, ensuring power was safely disconnected at all points I was working on.

At that point it was time for me to leave, and I figured at the very least if he wanted to get hurt so badly he could do it when he wasn't my problem. Officially, we are equal in rank at work, but in reality I generally have to babysit and clean up after him. Oh well, can't have gallant without a goofus I guess.

Here are pictures of the reel after they had cut the top off, and before I went to warehouse to find the sawzall they used to finish the job (they ran out of battery juice I guess). Coworker insisted it was fine, and not a big deal it was over the top the entire time I was finishing the job he had failed to.

Images edited to sanitize tail numbers and a big huge landmark. I used to work with this dude while in the military, and I regret not giving my boss my opinion of him while they were thinking of hiring him. He's good for lifting heavy things, I guess.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I bet that dumpster company wouldn't have even given a poo poo about it being a little over the top, they're just trying to make sure you don't double the height of the thing in trash.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I bet that dumpster company wouldn't have even given a poo poo about it being a little over the top, they're just trying to make sure you don't double the height of the thing in trash.

Former roll-off container driver here (LONG time ago). I wouldn't have given a poo poo on something like that. It's the fully overloaded containers that are a problem with poo poo on the verge of falling off. A little thing like that and I would have just thrown the cover over it and took off without a word.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah, and our pickup dude probably would have as well for the what was left over in the pictures. Dunno about the original reel though. Probs even then. If I was by myself I might have just said it was fine, by my dirtbag coworker has problems following directions, and needs his hand held every step of the way, so if it the instructions say "Do not cross this line" then that line will not be crossed.

We work in air traffic safety and I cannot really trust this coworker. It may be sorta "broken windows" style approach to things but that is an approach he has earned by his actions and attitude.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It pains me to see

checks market

half a million dollars of lumber in the dumpster.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It pains me to see

checks market

half a million dollars of lumber in the dumpster.

We threw away an an entire ASOS and and a bought new, never install airfield lightning system that sat and rusted in the quonset hut for years. We threw away entire cable reels of antenna and RF cables. We threw away a lot of stuff that could be used by someone, somewhere. It feels morally wrong, like some sort of cosmic sin, to destroy working items like this. But such is life. It was here for at least a decade, and the boss wanted it gone.

If I knew a guy who buys copper I'd have made some serious cash. Shame I didn't, but I guess that would have been illegal?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wrr posted:

We threw away a lot of stuff that could be used by someone, somewhere. It feels morally wrong, like some sort of cosmic sin, to destroy working items like this.

I've seen enough Hoarders to know this line of thought is how you become a hoarder.

Be careful, airport garbage goon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guarantee you the dump stripped the copper. Dumps will take old water heaters for free cause they strip them of the copper.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay, I promise not to just bitch non-stop about My One Coworker, but apparently yesterday while I was on leave we had a safety inspection that took a look at our hazmat program. When asked about our MSDSs being out of date, he said we didn't need them as we use a hazmat website (No clue if it has MSDSs on it, its impossible to use). When it was pointed out that our hazmat locker didn't have secondary containment storage, he. . . sawed down a wooden cargo pallet and jammed it into the bottom so now the hazmat items are sitting on it and not the metal?

Boss told me not to post pictures of it. I'm not super involved in the hazmat program (about to be though!) but I'd bet that putting dry rear end flammable kindling into the storage unit for the flammable stuff is a bad idea. Am I wrong on this one?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
A "gently caress it" attitude usually works out pretty good when it comes to safety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sure it’s forbidden by regulation, but cheer up: at least it’s not in the oxidizer cabinet.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIe5GKyLPek

Colin Furze is now digging sideways.

:catstare:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/WN2SnRx.gifv

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Does he not believe in clamps?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Those had better be steel toe skater shoes

e: Even if he can pump water as it floods, there's still going to be rain leaching through the soil and making prolonged contact on that plating. The clay layer looks fairly saturated already. I wonder if he's thought this through!

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 8, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

e: Even if he can pump water as it floods, there's still going to be rain leaching through the soil and making prolonged contact on that plating. The clay layer looks fairly saturated already. I wonder if he's thought this through!

His bunker's been there for like 5 years and seems ok so far, so he's probably not too concerned

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Wrr posted:

Boss told me not to post pictures of it. I'm not super involved in the hazmat program (about to be though!) but I'd bet that putting dry rear end flammable kindling into the storage unit for the flammable stuff is a bad idea. Am I wrong on this one?

It's possible that the wood is outside the rating in some way. But since the more wood you add the less room you have for other flammable items, my baseline guess would be that it's fine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

He's got about 15 corporate sponsors, so he's not doing things on a budget despite what he wants you to think. The project has been finished for ages and if anything went wrong they would just not release the videos. It's also shot to make it look more dangerous than it is.

I.e. I'm sure he's had a dozen engineers consulting with him on every step of the project and he's probably had professionals do most of the actual work. They recorded a few minutes of video of him doing stuff to sell the story that it's a wild and crazy project.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Deteriorata posted:

He's got about 15 corporate sponsors, so he's not doing things on a budget despite what he wants you to think. The project has been finished for ages and if anything went wrong they would just not release the videos. It's also shot to make it look more dangerous than it is.

I.e. I'm sure he's had a dozen engineers consulting with him on every step of the project and he's probably had professionals do most of the actual work. They recorded a few minutes of video of him doing stuff to sell the story that it's a wild and crazy project.

Sure but he's still jackhammering without ear pro.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Dylan16807 posted:

It's possible that the wood is outside the rating in some way. But since the more wood you add the less room you have for other flammable items, my baseline guess would be that it's fine.

The other problem with the wood is that it is a pallet with a bunch of holes in it which interfere with its ability to "contain" any spills, which, as I am to understand, is generally the purposes of "containers".

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Have some extremely industry-specific 50-year-old safety signs from the box plant we're decommissioning:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

I could have used this one back in the early 2000s. I was working at an HVAC warehouse. Never got training on the care and feeding of the forklift, but I sure did get the keys and a list of poo poo to move around.

3rd day on the job, got in the lift, went out the door, hit a patch of ice on the incline and put the forks right through a 20 ton rooftop AC unit. I somehow kept that job for another 3 months.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/newsyCaitlin/status/1412904358669426688

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sports car?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It looks better on the insurance fraud claim.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/PaulleeWR/status/1413234413337563138?s=19

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why is she even going in there?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

sigher posted:

Got to make the train.

https://twitter.com/PaulleeWR/status/1413235198448259075?s=20

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1413271921811148805

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t understand what is happening here. How is there a train in the water?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sigher posted:

Gotta migrate, she's in touch with her inner wildebeest.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

smackfu posted:

I don’t understand what is happening here. How is there a train in the water?

I think there is some combination of forced perspective and the water covering things up, but it looks like the deepest water is right at the foot of the stairs, and there is an incline or another set of stairs at the side closer to the train. If you look at the videos as people get farther from the stairs the water level lowers, or the people are getting taller. The platform itself may not be underwater at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

His plan is to seal it up with cement. So water probably won't be getting into the tunnel for a few years at least.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

IIRC the NYC subways need water to be pumped out 24/7 or they'll flood in about a day. The tunnel the train is in probably has a more robust water mitigation system than the stairwell does.

Also a lot more area for the water to settle on the tracks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The garbage bag trick actually works really well if you don't suck. That and bucket feet got me through many a flooded basement. I understand I am OSHA.txt.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The platform itself may not be underwater at all.

The fact that this can be said with a straight face, as an optimistic perspective, is fairly horrifying all by itself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/9QaqntA.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Cojawfee posted:

His plan is to seal it up with cement. So water probably won't be getting into the tunnel for a few years at least.

Tell that to my wet basement.