Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

telltale presents: silent hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

exquisite tea posted:

Suddenly realizing that Silent Hill has now hit that Simpsons/Weezer continuum where it's sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

Well, Weezer released their best album since Pinkerton this year so clearly we're in for a second Silent Hill golden age. :unsmith:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

JordanKai posted:

Well, Weezer released their best album since Pinkerton this year so clearly we're in for a second Silent Hill golden age. :unsmith:

That's the spirit! Never give up hope!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

A Silent Hill anthology would be a fun idea to explore. Like 1-2 hour vignettes of people's experiences in this haunted parasitic town.

The comics were generally not great but i liked the ones that were just other peoples experiences in the weird town

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Len posted:

The comics were generally not great but i liked the ones that were just other peoples experiences in the weird town

Agreed. The art style and pure cut yourself edginess were not fun, but the idea is a really good one. You know there were a gently caress ton of people other than James the town called.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
remember how the mailman from the comics inexplicably appeared in downpour and book of memories

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Siren Blood Curse is sort of an interesting look at that particular time in "our console has its own online store" history-- if you try to play it now it is an absolute bitch because you have to download each episode individually, and there are a lot of them. What a weird game.

I think it actually did get a disc release in Europe and Asia. It's just America which locked it to PSN Store only.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always thought it was weird Siren and Fatal Frame didn't have any indie games inspired by them though I guess it's easier to make boring walking around horror games. Maybe I just missed them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Project Zero had those two Korean phone camera games I've forgotten the name of but that's probably it and I don't think enough people played Siren lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What I want to know is where are the overblood fangames

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Len posted:

My favorite one was "yeah Harry Mason got by with a lead pipe and a glock but what if we just got like ten guys together, loaded for bear, and just went absolute apeshit"

I have no idea why they did it or how it turned out

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would argue modern horror games take a lot from Siren. The first one is largely a stealth game about hiding in closets and enemies are immortal so the rare time you get a weapon it’s a brief reprieve. Siren 2 in that regard is both a friendlier designed game and kind of a betrayal as you get more firepower but still kill enough dudes and even more show up to revive them it’s just better to avoid contact altogether.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah but you can't look through enemies' eyes in those other games.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1413131188282093568?s=19

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
(Siren, Knack)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always thought it was weird Siren and Fatal Frame didn't have any indie games inspired by them though I guess it's easier to make boring walking around horror games. Maybe I just missed them.

did everyone forgot about dreadout already

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Tired Moritz posted:

did everyone forgot about dreadout already

I was just looking it up to make sure I got the country right (Indonesia) before I posted.

This is how I found out it had a both a sequel and a feature film.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of Dreadout, how do the two games hold up?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JordanKai posted:

This has been said in some capacity of every new Weezer album. I've since learned not to trust it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dreadout is neat, there's one of them that's just like a series of boss areas with a hub that's probably better than the game proper though.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yardbomb posted:

Dreadout is neat, there's one of them that's just like a series of boss areas with a hub that's probably better than the game proper though.

This is based on watching playthroughs, but this. The first one isn't bad but the quality does decrease with each chapter, the boss dlc knows you're there to snap pictures of freaky ghosts and that's exactly what you get.

The second one tries to be more open world but doesn't work that well. The story is a huge mess and it's even more weirdly horny but then it's based on Fatal Frame so that's nothing new.

I want my Fatal Frame/ Pokemon Snap combo game for finding hidden ghosts :(

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I want my Fatal Frame/ Pokemon Go combo game for finding hidden ghosts (in my apartment)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

This has been said in some capacity of every new Weezer album. I've since learned not to trust it.

OK Human is extremely good.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Been a while since we moved on from Yuppie Psycho but I just finished it four or five times and dude, what a fun little gem. Definitely some rough bits (I hated the birthday party), but the sheer amount of effort that went into it and all the secrets was inspiring.

The standard ending was alright, but the DLC ending was phenomenal. I can't think of any other game off the top of my head that completely changes the second half of the game based on a few secrets. The DLC ending is also just better in every conceivable way and pulls off the Clock Tower formula really well.

I'd still scrap the witch paper mechanic (just inkjets would be totally fine), but it's a minor complaint overall.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm going to Dark Woods another shot. Would be the fourth time. I really do enjoy the story, exploration and what not. I just can't stand the nights and how long they last. They just ain't scary and are more tedious than anything

But man do I dig the day sections

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

World Famous W posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm going to Dark Woods another shot. Would be the fourth time. I really do enjoy the story, exploration and what not. I just can't stand the nights and how long they last. They just ain't scary and are more tedious than anything

But man do I dig the day sections

Just grab the cheat engine table. The one I'm looking at hasn't been updated since 2017 but it should be fine. I don't recall if you have to protect the oven as well as yourself, but as long as it's only self-defense, just pinning your health to max and waiting for daylight should be fine. Sure, still a bit boring and immersion-breaking but them's the breaks. It's a single player game, play it how you like!

knack spook babby!!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 8, 2021

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pyrolocutus posted:

2 I would avoid, it doesn't really add much, but Dreadout 1 is well worth playing. Plus it has one of the best moments of character interaction in a horror game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dreadout 2 is really buggy, which makes it frustrating to play even if you would otherwise like it. Dreadout 1 is really solid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh yeah Keepers of the Dark was that other DreadOut I was talking about, that's just sort of a "You're in a spooky hub, each door leads to an area with a creepy ghost in it" thing.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/418950/DreadOut_Keepers_of_The_Dark/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Had no idea DreadOut was a Fatal Frame because I'd heard of the game but never checked it out because "DreadOut" is a terrible title.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

I've loved the soundtrack for some time, but currently playing the game itself for the first time and it's cool actually getting to see the music in context, ha.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I'd still scrap the witch paper mechanic (just inkjets would be totally fine), but it's a minor complaint overall.

:yeah:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If On A Winter’s Night 4 Travelers might not be the best Lovecraftian game ever made (that’s Bloodborne) but I think it may well be the best Chambersian game ever made. If you like adventure games and the gothic it’s truly remarkable. And it’s free: https://laurahunt.itch.io/if-on-a-winters-night-four-travelers

Stick around to the third episode for some real Silent Hill hours

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

If anyone knows/remembers the demo for a game called Madison Road that came out back in like 2017, apparently they've rebranded the game to just 'Madison' and released an official announcement trailer yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noflcqYIfuc

From what I remember the original was a lot more blatant of a PT-like, and while the inspiration is still very obvious it seems like theyve moved in a different direction since the demo.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mix. posted:

If anyone knows/remembers the demo for a game called Madison Road that came out back in like 2017, apparently they've rebranded the game to just 'Madison' and released an official announcement trailer yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noflcqYIfuc

From what I remember the original was a lot more blatant of a PT-like, and while the inspiration is still very obvious it seems like theyve moved in a different direction since the demo.

I do remember this and I will regard it like I do every horror title nowadays, cautious, uninformed disappointment

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After playing Visage I am especially wary of "PT likes" and that looks notably worse than Visage. PT was this thing that was lightning in a bottle due to the unexpected release of it, the drama surrounding it, it's ARG tendencies, the brief mystery behind it, the fact that it was a short, free demo, the nuance of the horror etc etc.

No one trying to capitalize off that is ever going to be able to pull it off.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Visage is pretty bog-standard "A Shudder Original" levels of edgy scary tryhardness but I will admit, the Brave Little Toaster section was a delight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

If On A Winter’s Night 4 Travelers might not be the best Lovecraftian game ever made (that’s Bloodborne) but I think it may well be the best Chambersian game ever made. If you like adventure games and the gothic it’s truly remarkable. And it’s free: https://laurahunt.itch.io/if-on-a-winters-night-four-travelers

Stick around to the third episode for some real Silent Hill hours

play this

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The PT-like glut just makes me want to play some game where you just explore a creepy location and solve puzzles accompanied by your living, healthy, well-adjusted spouse and/or your similarly alive, sane, child you haven't molested or murdered.

edit: like have monsters if you want, but the gendered violence poo poo is getting really...not even just noxious

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 11, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They should make a PT-like Scooby Doo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They should make a PT-like Scooby Doo game.

yes, Phasmophobia on steroids. Scrappy Doo as year 2 DLC. Vincent van Ghoul and Flim Flam in the 13 ghosts season pack.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 11, 2021