Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pharnakes posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3025834967790391683

Bridges that you can see which way they retract??

Now we just need some kind of differentiation between raising and retracting.

Wow I haven't taken a look at Dwarf Fortress for a long time. So weird to see it with actual graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Bronzestabbed saves are still preserved on the old obsidian portal site. I have most everything else that was submitted for Bronzestabbed, in one form or another. I don't keep up with this thread (pickled tink linked me to this request just now) so PM me if you need something that you can't find.

What I have is the old Soundsense pack folder which contains:
10s_silence
AgentOfTheQueen
Bronzestabbed
Fadedmaggot
FieldsOfVice
RichesBeneath
StrikeTheEarth
UgathCall

and, I have a folder I called "fan works" which contains these:

If Crackmaster's zip is missing any of these, let me know and I'll provide whatever's missing. It actually looks like Crack might have one or two that I'm missing.

Also note the original LP now has many of its images back, thanks to the partial resurrection of Waffleimages. Many are still missing, because tinypic is still gone. In theory I have a lot of those images, because I had goons send me their zips, and I grabbed fan submissions, but I don't think I'd have every single image and this is one of the complicating factors to ever trying to actually archive Bronzestabbed in a reasonable way (the other being its insane length).

The obsidian portal site has all of the annual saves; I also have all of the seasonal saves.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also note the original LP now has many of its images back, thanks to the partial resurrection of Waffleimages. Many are still missing, because tinypic is still gone. In theory I have a lot of those images, because I had goons send me their zips, and I grabbed fan submissions, but I don't think I'd have every single image and this is one of the complicating factors to ever trying to actually archive Bronzestabbed in a reasonable way (the other being its insane length).

I can't do anything about the size of the LP, but if anybody ever comes up with a list of missing files, I'd be happy to try and help. Beside the music tracks and a few save files, my Bronzestabbed folder has ~8700 images in it. 50 of them are 0KB (presumably a problem with whatever archive script I was using; got filenames but no content), and a lot of the pictures are just forum stuff (smilies, profile pics, etc.), but there's a sizeable portion of viewable, actual content. I can't tell Tinypic stuff from Waffleimages at a glance, but they might be in there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crackmaster posted:

I can't do anything about the size of the LP, but if anybody ever comes up with a list of missing files, I'd be happy to try and help. Beside the music tracks and a few save files, my Bronzestabbed folder has ~8700 images in it. 50 of them are 0KB (presumably a problem with whatever archive script I was using; got filenames but no content), and a lot of the pictures are just forum stuff (smilies, profile pics, etc.), but there's a sizeable portion of viewable, actual content. I can't tell Tinypic stuff from Waffleimages at a glance, but they might be in there.

That is extremely cool!

Not too long after the thread ended, I actually sent in Bronzestabbed to get archived. What I got back was a single HTML file containing the whole thing, which I was supposed to parse. I couldn't face it.

Additionally, I used a URL shortener for all the update links in the first three posts. Unfortunately that means you have to click each one to get the actual URL of that post, so I think that was an obstacle for the archiver at the time?

I may be remembering both of those things wrongly, but the gist of it is, I felt way too lazy to try and figure out how to properly archive bronzestabbed, so I never did it lol

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Leperflesh posted:

I may be remembering both of those things wrongly, but the gist of it is, I felt way too lazy to try and figure out how to properly archive bronzestabbed, so I never did it lol

It's largely still available for reading if you just search through google assuming there isn't a paywall up (there didn't seem to be when last I checked). I've read through it a few times over the years, the DF community lps of yesteryears are just fantastic what with all those emergent stories and threads coming together.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
For what it is worth, I chased Leperflesh over archiving that LP for years. I only gave up on getting him to do it earlier this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Inepta Lacerta posted:

It's largely still available for reading if you just search through google assuming there isn't a paywall up (there didn't seem to be when last I checked). I've read through it a few times over the years, the DF community lps of yesteryears are just fantastic what with all those emergent stories and threads coming together.

I can't imagine the grind of reading through my tedious combat reports more than once, I hope you skipped over those.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I’ve embarked near a dormant volcano for the first time in playing this game, I plan on surrounding every dwarf’s bedroom with magma, will this be impossible? Will the magma dry up too quickly? Hopefully the dwarves aren’t just throwing themselves into it, it’ll just be the perimeter of their bedroom.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Are you talking about an open-topped magma moat? There are a few potential problems with this. First, it will almost certainly be prone to unexpectedly overflowing and killing everyone. Second, tired dwarves will definitely slip and fall in from time to time. Third and most importantly, it will absolutely murder your FPS.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I haven't touched DF for years and I'm getting the itch to try it again. Is there a particular setup and mods/tiles/tools worth using? Dwarf therapist is still a must-have I assume?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't touched DF for years and I'm getting the itch to try it again. Is there a particular setup and mods/tiles/tools worth using? Dwarf therapist is still a must-have I assume?

just grab the lazy newb pack. you can more or less use the default settings, and then explore more later if you want.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dwarf therapist is still a must-have I assume?

actually! dfhack has been packed with a good and cool Dwarf Manipulator plugin for a while now that's basically a DT labor management screen, but inside the game itself, accessed with a displayed hotkey in the unit list

it doesn't have personality analysis tools to suggest ideal professions for your dipshits, but you also don't need to manually refresh an extrenal app to do things

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My preferred method of play is just vanilla DF with the square graphics turned on and running Dwarf Therapist. It's far from elegant but I'm a simple dorf.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

scamtank posted:

actually! dfhack has been packed with a good and cool Dwarf Manipulator plugin for a while now that's basically a DT labor management screen, but inside the game itself, accessed with a displayed hotkey in the unit list

it doesn't have personality analysis tools to suggest ideal professions for your dipshits, but you also don't need to manually refresh an extrenal app to do things

I didn't even realize that was a thing in Dwarf Therapist when I was working on a fort yesterday but I think I'm going to make heavy use of it.

Getting migrants is really wild compared to what I remember. The first wave of 9 had something like 3 or 4 dwarfs with a legendary profession, another with several in the master+ range, and one with two legendary professions. :psyduck:
(not a single one of them was combat-oriented though :argh:)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, that just frees up any other dwarf you had doing those things, or any other non-essential skill, for combat. The world isn't made out of master-class marksdwarves and wrestlers. If it was, the goblins wouldn't inevitably hostile-takeover the thing every time.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
decided to check in on what my dorfs have been writing up in that library i laboriously constructed for them

started to notice a theme and joked "it looks like we ran a little MFA program on autobiographical writing this season"

and then i found this written earlier. they fuckin did run a little MFA program on autobiographical writing this season. i had no idea the learning system was this advanced tbh - i knew they learned things from books but this is somehow a level of abstraction that took me by surprise to catch in action

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A hundred pages ago someone posted a dorfbook titled Start Your Day With Rage, which is the most awesome book title I have ever heard of.

My favorite that I saw in one of my own personal games:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Dang Flagthief lmbo a little dorf dressed like a tf2 scout

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress books would make fantastic material for assignments in a creative writing class.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kruggsmash came up with an amazing necromancer treatise called The Art Of Dying in his Scorchfountain series, he really made some dramatic use of it :allears:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

"The wizard's guide to self control" is still my favorite, right there in the OP. START YOUR DAY WITH RAGE isn't bad though, lol.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

palindrome posted:

"The wizard's guide to self control" is still my favorite, right there in the OP. START YOUR DAY WITH RAGE isn't bad though, lol.

"The wizard's guide to self control"
"Don't."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If tabletop campaigns are to be believed that is sound advice.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've always liked "My Biggest Regret: Husbrandry"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beating your enemies to death with appropriately named books is always good fun.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't forget this classic:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
“They say a demon plots for the kings’ death…”

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I've been reading the bronzestabbed LP that was linked earlier (about halfway through the thread) and goddamn it's so good.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been reading the bronzestabbed LP that was linked earlier (about halfway through the thread) and goddamn it's so good.

It really is, I've just started doing the same myself. I remember gemclod from back in the day, but somehow I missed bronzestabbed, and it's fantastic.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

We've had a couple since Bronzestabbed. Both petered out, but had some decent moments.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851331
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932128

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 20, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Had a dream that toady was going to implement a map beautification feature that'd turn the ascii into beautiful watercolor style maps

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

GorfZaplen posted:

Had a dream that toady was going to implement a map beautification feature that'd turn the ascii into beautiful watercolor style maps

I think that could actually be a reality with the Steam release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I remember reading about the Mission system awhile back and with that setup does it mean you can theoretically go on a world conquering binge provided you have the military power to spare and run the fort for however many in-game centuries it’d likely take?

Setting up mega weapons and so on is cool but slowly taking over a world sounds fun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I remember reading about the Mission system awhile back and with that setup does it mean you can theoretically go on a world conquering binge provided you have the military power to spare and run the fort for however many in-game centuries it’d likely take?

Setting up mega weapons and so on is cool but slowly taking over a world sounds fun.

It's pretty hit or miss but yeah, you can give it a go. Options include "Go out and kill them until they give us free stuff" and "Go out and kill them and just keep killing them until you have to stop." and since you can set up settlements I think you can theoretically reclaim the goblin towers or what-have-you. Now when I tried it I was sending out legendary soldiers, usually about thirty legendaries and whoever else I bothered scraping together and arming, usually there'd be some casualties of the less skilled soldiers, but my master-level dwarves would end up in weird loops where they were fighting an enemy who couldn't seem to hit them but neither could they defeat the enemy with their weapons and so they just kept coming home after getting tired and bored. There's a good chance the system has some kinks yet to be straightened out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kruggsmash did a a series where he conquered most of the world. It seemed like a lot of work and a lot of wrestling with the mechanics.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0l998LmVC6xIRHjtj2Pr2VI

I think he eventually got bored and did another series where he played as one of the many nearly extinct civilizations that he had conquered in the previous series

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I just booted up the latest version after not playing for at least 6 or 7 years or so, there’s so many interesting new features. For a while I’ve just been stuck running around trying to please every guild that pops up while dealing with an unstoppable influx of migrants.

Maybe I’ve been doing too well cause have just over 110 people and the migrants don’t stop coming. Lucky for me a werelizard just decided to show up just as a dwarves caravan arrived so they quickly dealt with him but not before he mauled one of my fisher-dwarves. Once I realised that Urist Fisherdwarf heals fully when he transforms I decided to stick him in a pit and throw in any useless migrant that shows up. Any survivors get to join my immortal werelizard army while the weak get culled.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kruggsmash did a a series where he conquered most of the world. It seemed like a lot of work and a lot of wrestling with the mechanics.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0l998LmVC6xIRHjtj2Pr2VI

I think he eventually got bored and did another series where he played as one of the many nearly extinct civilizations that he had conquered in the previous series

The Watchful Eyes. The finale for it was really good.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I think I have everything set up right with my bookkeeper, but they're refusing to update stocks... Am I missing something here? Do I need to specifically provide them with a shittier office? The doors are passable, too, I checked.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Book keeping is a fairly low priority. You'll have to take him off a bunch of other jobs or he'll keep hauling or whatever. There's also a setting somewhere to set the desired accuracy of book keeping, you'll have to set that above none.