Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a movie called Murder by Death that is basically a huge lampoon of a bunch of popular detectives (Sam Spade, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, etc) and the end is a metatextual evisceration of how haphazard the mysteries are handled.

If dude was going for that, they missed the mark by a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's a lot of words that aren't saying anything specific about the manga being discussed and just seem to be contrarian for contrarian's sake

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean it's plot is no more dumb than other bad light novel fantasies and isekai's, thought that doesn't mean it should of kept going but it means the other series should not be going or getting an anime!

But doing a mean spirited series using characters published by the company your working for is probably not the best idea

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also no way to respond to that without playing into the implication of "disagree for the sake of disagreeing" I point out; as the only options are saying "Yes, I am being contrarian" or "No I am not" thereby proving it correct. :v:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But doing a mean spirited series using characters published by the company your working for is probably not the best idea

One thing I suppose that doesn't make much sense to me is how exactly does their business structure work where an author can go to a meeting room, pitch their idea, submit concept art, and get approved without this at all being brought up and circulated internally first to make sure everyone is on board. There are many heads above the author's here who each had responsibility here, especially the editor who should have been the one to check with anyone else first. Especially before actually going to print.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 9, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

There's a movie called Murder by Death that is basically a huge lampoon of a bunch of popular detectives (Sam Spade, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, etc) and the end is a metatextual evisceration of how haphazard the mysteries are handled.

If dude was going for that, they missed the mark by a lot.

I mean, right now there's a manga that's basically about a Putty trying to murder all the Power Rangers where he's the protagonist (and they're psychos), and it's doing fine.

It's not that it was going after Isekai. It's that it was doing it badly. Really, really badly.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing I suppose that doesn't make much sense to me is how exactly does their business structure work where an author can go to a meeting room, pitch their idea, submit concept art, and get approved without this at all being brought up and circulated internally first to make sure everyone is on board. There are many heads above the author's here who each had responsibility here, especially the editor who should have been the one to check with anyone else first. Especially before actually going to print.

I'm guessing the manga editorial thought they could get away it and manage the blow back or it wouldn't be too much. Or Kadokawa editorial isn't that strict on the manga side too, which given the sheer volume of stuff they publish may be how the whole system runs

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i do think there's a distinction between "does it infringe on the authors" (fair use etc) and the manga having actually been re-examined due to reader backlash, but that's a lot y'all writing because Grouchio said "the mangakas were pissed" (im sorry, aren't these all novel-first series?). there were responses from a few writers online after the apology went out but it was measured "yeah, the parodies went a bit far" stuff. the deciding factor was the reader response. people didnt want to read a cheap parody where their favorite characters are laughing about rape and murder.

this still sums it up

quote:

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation author Rifujin na Magonote was among the critics of the manga. His tweet is translated below:

"Making the so-called isekai cheat protagonists the villains and making them do vile things" ←Not a problem

"Making characters appear who are recognizably borrowed from characters from other works" ←I'm not going to say it's not a problem, but it's not a huge problem

"Making characters appear who are recognizably borrowed from characters from other works, and then turning them into villains and making them do vile things" ←This is crossing the line

there were ways cheat slayer could have workshopped itself better and survived as a series that wouldve done decent; i get why some people respond like "the premise is interesting, id like to see a story like that play out" but it doesn't change what the actual content of the chapter was

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 9, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

i do think there's a distinction between the manga having actually been re-examined due to reader backlash, but that's a lot y'all writing because Grouchio said "the mangakas were pissed" (im sorry, aren't these all novel-first series?). there were responses from a few writers online after the apology went out but it was measured "yeah, the parodies went a bit far" stuff. but the critical factor in the end is what the reader response was. people didnt want to read a cheap parody where their favorite characters are laughing about rape and murder.

this still sums it up

there were ways cheat slayer could have workshopped itself better and survived as a series that wouldve done decent; i get why some people respond like "the premise is interesting, id like to see a story like that play out" but it doesn't change what the actual content of the chapter was

yeah, i agree with this

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Space Flower posted:

i do think there's a distinction between the manga having actually been re-examined due to reader backlash, but that's a lot y'all writing because Grouchio said "the mangakas were pissed" (im sorry, aren't these all novel-first series?). there were responses from a few writers online after the apology went out but it was measured "yeah, the parodies went a bit far" stuff. the deciding factor was the reader response. people didnt want to read a cheap parody where their favorite characters are laughing about rape and murder.

this still sums it up

Yeah I agree with this, which is why I had said I hope they do re-workshop it to tone down the parts that were most objectionable so we can see the core concept play out still.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . .

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah i saw that one, unfortunately i do think just 'going back to the drawing board' is pretty rare after they've already played their cards. ironically, that kind of editing pass would probably be accepted if it had started as narou itself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Other examples come to mind that do this similarly were My Disciple Has Died Again and JK Haru as works that engaged with the genre constructively while still satirizing or parodying elements of the genre but without pulling their punches.
comparing this to jk haru is extremely weird because jk haru puts all the empathy and focus on the girl who is forced into prostitution, its the core of the series storytelling. in this you could make the exact same plot with the guy burning the village to the ground or whatever, the sexual assault is just shock value.

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are other things here, I'm not sure how you get that panel as being a criticism of Re;Zero specifically?
its not rezero specifically but rezero is literally in the chapter

Raenir Salazar posted:

But is this in anyway uncharitable towards the authors of those other works? There are too many other works in existence that delve into similarish themes of "this character who is also supposed to be a hero is actually a huge jerk"; Applicability is what comes to mind here. That this work exists in the context of a larger pre-existing genre cultural superstructure; popular examples were picked not to call out those works in particular but because they are representative of tropes, conventions, cliches and archetypes that appear time and time again.

"What if all the protagonists in a bunch of popular isekai works were all in the same world ruling the world as evildoers" is a pretty obvious narrative leap to make and this isn't really the first time I'm seeing something vaguely along these lines.
yes but why did it have to have rape in it

Raenir Salazar posted:

Addressing Death of the Author though, okay so lets put aside my benefit of the doubt to the author's intent, and just look purely at the art in question. Is it transgressive? Indisputably. Are there depictions that are heinous and unseemly? Definitely. Are there characters that bear a strong resemblance to other works, who are being parodies in a way that depicts them unfavourably, also yes.

But is this in anyway uncharitable towards the authors of those other works? There are too many other works in existence that delve into similarish themes of "this character who is also supposed to be a hero is actually a huge jerk"; Applicability is what comes to mind here. That this work exists in the context of a larger pre-existing genre cultural superstructure; popular examples were picked not to call out those works in particular but because they are representative of tropes, conventions, cliches and archetypes that appear time and time again.
most isekai works do not involve this much rape

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I think that's the more worrying thing here, that Kadokawa seems to be letting even more extreme stuff go in it's Isekai like series in the hopes that it sells. Hopefully this blowback means they'll actually reign this stuff in across their LN and Manga (but probably not)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

parody and transgressive art are allowed to exist and i dont think the kakegurui guy should be put in the hague but i think its completely reasonable for the author of wise mans grandson to be upset by his character (literally his character, the design is exactly the same and the name is like one or two letters off) being portrayed as an evil rapist. if it was just evil thatd be one thing. if it was just a kind of similar character itd be one thing. putting those two things together is the hosed up part. for all you know the wise man grandson author has some personal experience with him or someone he knows being sexually assaulted, i realize that's writing fanfic about a random real person but surely that isn't that unrealistic a scenario. just the fact that the possibility exists makes that comparison point kinda loving weird. furthermore, what about fans of wiseman's grandson who have experience with that, like space flower pointed out.

like you wrote all those words and basically ignored the core issue. sao abridged sucks, but also it doesnt actually accuse the author of anything. there's some mean-spirited jokes and some criticism of the writing but it A) isn't published in a major magazine, thus giving it something resembling legitimacy and B) it doesnt rewrite the show to make kirito into a sex criminal. if it did the latter, thatd be weird and people would rightly criticize it for it.

if the series was using like, redo of healer or something (which i know isnt an isekai but work with me here), thatd be one thing, but using sexual assault and the faces and names of popular isekai characters as just shock value and the manga equivalent of clickbait is awful, and the overlap between those two things makes it worse. i dont think thats an unreasonable criticism.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 9, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway i hate abridged series because the fsn ubw abridged series has sakura be really bitter and snippy and spiteful and everyone psots like 'lol if sakura was like this id love her, why is she so boring in the vn' and like

thats literally sakura's character in the vn already!!! thats her entire personality! but everyone who watches ubw abridged gets their brain destroyed forever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess there's the excuse that it took a long time for hf to get adapted...? lotta people who never bothered engaging with the vn at all so they only got janky anime exposure

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i feel like if i were going to write a parody that included a lot of references and jabs at the other peers in my field i would talk to them at literally any point to, if not ask for permission, at least give them the heads up I am doing that, rather than just blazing on through and causing them to be upset/distressed when they find out at the same time as everyone else (and then see how their creations are being misrepresented). maybe thats just me though

(i also wouldnt write like five paragraphs defending a manga that includes a bunch of shock value sexual assault but i feel like that goes without saying)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i guess there's the excuse that it took a long time for hf to get adapted...? lotta people who never bothered engaging with the vn at all so they only got janky anime exposure

tbf even people who read the vn think dark sakura is like, some otherworldly entity possessing sakura with no relation to her personality or motivations, cause people cant read

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

this still sums it up

I feel like I'm going to regret wading into this because I haven't read the manga and I don't actually care that much, but just on broad principle - I think Mushoten Guy is wrong to say that it's necessarily crossing a line to have characters who are recognizably parodying other people's characters be vile people/villains. I mean, I assume the whole point of the parody using recognizable targets is to make a specific point of "yo this loving sucks." Like yeah they should respect copyright if they wanna sell the thing and their criticisms and/or readings of the target characters might be off-base or in bad taste or even demonstrably false, and people can push back on those criticisms in specific - and I don't have the specific knowledge of the manga or most of its targets to wade in there, nor do I care to. But I don't see any reason why the broad idea should be somehow off-limits. Yeah I'm sure it'll upset the people being criticized, but so what? Author's getting paid to make a manga, not flatter all his colleagues.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 9, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

yes but why did it have to have rape in it

You're absolutely right that it doesn't need to have it and there's no argument from me here.

Mix. posted:

i feel like if i were going to write a parody that included a lot of references and jabs at the other peers in my field i would talk to them at literally any point to, if not ask for permission, at least give them the heads up I am doing that, rather than just blazing on through and causing them to be upset/distressed when they find out at the same time as everyone else (and then see how their creations are being misrepresented). maybe thats just me though

That probably would have been best to cut it off at the pass as early as possible to protect the reputations of all involved; we also don't know if an attempt was made and if there was a massive miscommunication. (e to add and we'd almost certainly never hear of it if it was the case)

quote:

(i also wouldnt write like five paragraphs defending a manga that includes a bunch of shock value sexual assault but i feel like that goes without saying)

I want to point out that I literally at no point defend the manga's use of sexual assault for shock value.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like I'm going to regret wading into this because I haven't read the manga and I don't actually care that much, but just on broad principle - I think Mushoten Guy is wrong to say that it's necessarily crossing a line to have characters who are recognizably parodying other people's characters be vile people/villains. I mean, I assume the whole point of the parody using recognizable targets is to make a specific point of "yo this loving sucks." Like yeah they should respect copyright if they wanna sell the thing and their criticisms and/or readings of the target characters might be off-base or even demonstrably false, and people can push back on those criticisms in specific - and I don't have the specific knowledge of the manga or most of its targets to wade in there, nor do I care to. But I don't see any reason why the broad idea should be somehow off-limits. Yeah I'm sure it'll upset the people being criticized, but so what? Author's getting paid to make a manga, not flatter all his colleagues.
He's not saying it should be literally illegal, he's saying it's not in good taste. Which I think is a pretty reasonable thing to say. Keep in mind by 'vile things' he's using polite language to dance around specifically sexual assault. I doubt there'd be nearly this much drama if, like I said, wise man's grandson guy had just burned down a village and killed somebody.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

He's not saying it should be literally illegal, he's saying it's not in good taste. Which I think is a pretty reasonable thing to say. Keep in mind by 'vile things' he's using polite language to dance around specifically sexual assault. I doubt there'd be nearly this much drama if, like I said, wise man's grandson guy had just burned down a village and killed somebody.

I agree with what you're saying here - although I didn't get that specific impression from the Mushoten Guy quote.

But anyway, at this point we're getting into specific questions of what people's intent was or whether the parody was well-executed, and like I said I'm not going to wade in there. Sure sounds bad from the way it's described, I'm not going to bat for this specific parody.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://flamescans.org/the-killer-of-the-reincarnated-cheat-slayer-chapter-1/

here's the actual manga since it appears most haven't read it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Like replace isekai with battle Shonen, only all your favorite characters like goku, naruto and luffy are terrible rapist villains. That’s just not gonna fly. Obviously there are ways to write that type of story of reverse heros, since marvel and dc do it all the time with their what-if universes, but when you’re just obviously pulling very recognizable characters and just generically applying villainous attributes to them with no effort involved, it’s a bad look all around.

And it’s not like it’s even an original isekai concept since stuff like The Protagonists are Murdered By Me exist.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-protagonists-are-murdered-by-me/

Which itself does a better job since even when it is probably referencing specific works, it puts in the work to differentiate them enough to exist on their own terms while exploring the possible negative implications of those various isekai. Additionally, the idea of people getting cheat powers in isekai being bad people isn’t even unexplored itself either, since more recent isekai like to throw multiple people into a world to see what they do with themselves and to each other. Spider isekai last season even covered it with its human cast, and tsukimichi this season will also cover it!

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there's a level of tact and discretion necessary to make good satire. like watching sister princess and then making drakengard ending b

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Flower posted:

there's a level of tact and discretion necessary to make good satire. like watching sister princess and then making drakengard ending b

Drakengard is just the body's natural reaction to Sister Princess.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The one thing I don't comprehend about this whole thing is that the isekai genre does not exactly lack morally dubious protagonists who do vile things on pretty flimsy justifications and would easily work as a despicable villains with pretty much little or no change of their character. So why, instead of using those guys, would you use characters that are traditionally heroic and where you have to basically completely rewrite their personality to make them the monsters your protagonist can dunk on?

Like why turn some guy with Gandalf grandfather into a horrible rapist when the protagonist from Redo of Healer is right there?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lt. Lizard posted:

The one thing I don't comprehend about this whole thing is that the isekai genre does not exactly lack morally dubious protagonists who do vile things on pretty flimsy justifications and would easily work as a despicable villains with pretty much little or no change of their character. So why, instead of using those guys, would you use characters that are traditionally heroic and where you have to basically completely rewrite their personality to make them the monsters your protagonist can dunk on?

Like why turn some guy with Gandalf grandfather into a horrible rapist when the protagonist from Redo of Healer is right there?

Well, for one, that's not Isekai.

In general, it's probably because the evil lovely isekai protagonists are from vastly less popular and well known works than the good people.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

when do we point out that kakegurui was like completely tactless? That that was even the point. Like this sounds like a disaster just from the setup and maybe someone shoulda told them that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Presumably for the same reason there are a million stories about what if Superman was evil and you don't see nearly as many stories doing similar things by doing a twist on, say, the Punisher.

kater posted:

when do we point out that kakegurui was like completely tactless? That that was even the point. Like this sounds like a disaster just from the setup and maybe someone shoulda told them that.

Kakegurui being completely tactless is part of the reason why it rules!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

DVD/BD sales
Kakegurui 914枚
Isekai smartphone 1324枚
Isekai Shokudou 1534枚
SAO 45372枚
Kenja no mago 890枚
Tensura 6101枚
Overlord 13401枚
Rezero 12816枚
Konosuba 13603枚
Tanya 7169枚

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Srice posted:

Kakegurui being completely tactless is part of the reason why it rules!!

:hai:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So what you're telling me is this dude pulled an Isekai cat person?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ASMR or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response is the nerve-tingling or relaxing response and sensation one gets to stimuli such as certain sounds or sights. As the title indicates, the anime will let viewers experience ASMR in 180 seconds. In the story, the heroine challenges her classmates to share in her hobby of recording ASMR works.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think you're off base here; I've been on the internet for a fairly long time and I've absolutely seen mean spirited spite parodies of popular things; I don't think its the case this was intended to be mean. You don't put in this much effort into something frivolously if they truly wanted to in a mean spirited way mock these other series.

I think it was an attempt at a "rough" parody, by someone who felt they were in a position to do so; like how very close friends often insult or punch each other or pull pranks. I think it was likely that they made the likenesses of the characters so close was probably from a misidentified desire to pay their respects; like a comedy roast where you make jokes at the expense of yours friends.

So I don't think it was written in an attempt to be mean, but because it saw a opening to engage with the genre constructively.

Other examples come to mind that do this similarly were My Disciple Has Died Again and JK Haru as works that engaged with the genre constructively while still satirizing or parodying elements of the genre but without pulling their punches.

As for the authors being mad; putting aside that we disagree for the moment as to the author's intent (which we'll apply Death to the Author to in a moment), while I can understand the very flawed and human desire to get upset when someone criticizes your work in a way that can come across as blunt or mean, but if we really think hard about this though, I think we should both realize that this anger (if it exists, I'm not sure if I read anywhere that any of the mangaka's in question expressed an opinion, but I may have missed it) is misplaced. People have a right to express themselves and parody is a well protected principle of free speech and discourse and even if this were completely in bad faith and gross, transgressive art has a right to exist to inform the dialogue. People are going to parody or insult your works, for every person that likes your works there's probably several that don't. SAO the Abridged Series literally exists and I don't think from what I've heard its as affectionate as DBZ is to its source material.

If some of the mangaka's were mad I guess they're allowed to be mad but it shouldn't have gone so far as to have a work be put to a stop. I'm not really sympathetic when Loss as a meme exists as a normal everyday thing and I don't really see a difference.

There are other things here, I'm not sure how you get that panel as being a criticism of Re;Zero specifically? It seems more like its deconstructing the isekai genre by describing the mindset of weak spiteful people suddenly being given overwhelming power over others would act and internalize it. I think its just a reference to the subsubsubsubgenre of "I died and went to another world and now I just want to kick back and relax" LN's and just adding a darker twist to it.

All I'm saying is though is I thought at its core, a battle manga where one of the people who live in the Isekai goes head to head against cheat-skill reincarnations using wit and psychology would have been interesting and wish I got to see how it played out. Maybe you're right and the rest of the series would have made its degree of mean spiritness more apparent but I don't think that's clear from just two chapters and maybe it would have shifted its focus more on that aspect I found interesting with the parody characters just serving as a sort of familiar foil for the reader. "Ah I know how Subaru's Return by Death works this will be interesting, how do you stop that?"

It seems like, just like in Slime Isekai or One Punch Man or Overlord the villains are overthetop irredeemably evil to provide an antagonist to the protagonist to put aside their doubts for the task they are pursuing. You had multiple parts going into this concept that on their own wouldn't have been at all objectionable but together became contentious.

Addressing Death of the Author though, okay so lets put aside my benefit of the doubt to the author's intent, and just look purely at the art in question. Is it transgressive? Indisputably. Are there depictions that are heinous and unseemly? Definitely. Are there characters that bear a strong resemblance to other works, who are being parodies in a way that depicts them unfavourably, also yes.

"What if all the protagonists in a bunch of popular isekai works were all in the same world ruling the world as evildoers" is a pretty obvious narrative leap to make and this isn't really the first time I'm seeing something vaguely along these lines.

Again, you could be right; but I don't think we'll ever know for sure with just two chapters and I think it is a shame.

Idk I didn’t read past the first four paragraphs but did you ever say why it’s cool and good to draw your colleague’s light hearted parody raping someone

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think you're off base here; I've been on the internet for a fairly long time and I've absolutely seen mean spirited spite parodies of popular things; I don't think its the case this was intended to be mean. You don't put in this much effort into something frivolously if they truly wanted to in a mean spirited way mock these other series.

I think it was an attempt at a "rough" parody, by someone who felt they were in a position to do so; like how very close friends often insult or punch each other or pull pranks. I think it was likely that they made the likenesses of the characters so close was probably from a misidentified desire to pay their respects; like a comedy roast where you make jokes at the expense of yours friends.

So I don't think it was written in an attempt to be mean, but because it saw a opening to engage with the genre constructively.

As for the authors being mad; putting aside that we disagree for the moment as to the author's intent (which we'll apply Death to the Author to in a moment), while I can understand the very flawed and human desire to get upset when someone criticizes your work in a way that can come across as blunt or mean, but if we really think hard about this though, I think we should both realize that this anger (if it exists, I'm not sure if I read anywhere that any of the mangaka's in question expressed an opinion, but I may have missed it) is misplaced. People have a right to express themselves and parody is a well protected principle of free speech and discourse and even if this were completely in bad faith and gross, transgressive art has a right to exist to inform the dialogue. People are going to parody or insult your works, for every person that likes your works there's probably several that don't. SAO the Abridged Series literally exists and I don't think from what I've heard its as affectionate as DBZ is to its source material.

If some of the mangaka's were mad I guess they're allowed to be mad but it shouldn't have gone so far as to have a work be put to a stop. I'm not really sympathetic when Loss as a meme exists as a normal everyday thing and I don't really see a difference.

There are other things here, I'm not sure how you get that panel as being a criticism of Re;Zero specifically? It seems more like its deconstructing the isekai genre by describing the mindset of weak spiteful people suddenly being given overwhelming power over others would act and internalize it. I think its just a reference to the subsubsubsubgenre of "I died and went to another world and now I just want to kick back and relax" LN's and just adding a darker twist to it.

All I'm saying is though is I thought at its core, a battle manga where one of the people who live in the Isekai goes head to head against cheat-skill reincarnations using wit and psychology would have been interesting and wish I got to see how it played out. Maybe you're right and the rest of the series would have made its degree of mean spiritness more apparent but I don't think that's clear from just two chapters and maybe it would have shifted its focus more on that aspect I found interesting with the parody characters just serving as a sort of familiar foil for the reader. "Ah I know how Subaru's Return by Death works this will be interesting, how do you stop that?"

It seems like, just like in Slime Isekai or One Punch Man or Overlord the villains are overthetop irredeemably evil to provide an antagonist to the protagonist to put aside their doubts for the task they are pursuing. You had multiple parts going into this concept that on their own wouldn't have been at all objectionable but together became contentious.

Again, you could be right; but I don't think we'll ever know for sure with just two chapters and I think it is a shame.

I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. Could you repeat that, thanks?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I checked out the chapter that got linked here and it sucked.

Anyways in actual seasonal news, the Jahy-chan PV dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50keSvDja4o

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please anime, give us premieres to discuss

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

ASMR or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response is the nerve-tingling or relaxing response and sensation one gets to stimuli such as certain sounds or sights. As the title indicates, the anime will let viewers experience ASMR in 180 seconds. In the story, the heroine challenges her classmates to share in her hobby of recording ASMR works.

This is absolute filth on a level the anime industry has never seen before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Erg posted:

Idk I didn’t read past the first four paragraphs but did you ever say why it’s cool and good to draw your colleague’s light hearted parody raping someone

Don't think so.