Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ex was JR's friend who stopped watching RAW all those years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Grem posted:

The only problem with putting the title on Karl is it should go to Doc Gallows instead, who is infinitely more entertaining.

New Japan fans have a distinct preference for which singles matches they want to see. Big LG will still be ringside talking about his dick, don't you worry.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Malarkey Snack

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Watched the show tonight. Andrade was great but he doesn’t need 50 things: the mask, the suit, the belt, the manager, the guy who holds his stuff, and his finisher which is just his nickname again? Focus on one or two effective things and go from there.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

Watched the show tonight. Andrade was great but he doesn’t need 50 things: the mask, the suit, the belt, the manager, the guy who holds his stuff, and his finisher which is just his nickname again? Focus on one or two effective things and go from there.

yeah i kinda agree and dunno why he felt the need to ineffectually yank on Sydal's arm afterward, it sapped the energy from his performance as kind of an "okay?" thing

being menacing and an air of being dangerous is way more interesting than actually scumbagging someone like that lol, and he has those things perfectly

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think all of those things make sense for the kind of character he's portraying but he absolutely needs a better finisher.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, some people were kinda worried that Britt might be looking to jump to the WWE at some point in the future. Well, I don't think they have to be worried after that promo anymore, because that bridge is only slightly more burned than Vince was.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When JR called Ex “Mark” on air this week, I was shook tbh. Didn’t know his real name. JR breaking kayfabe on air smdh

I didn't know his real name either, and my first thought was that JR must be working with Mark Henry a lot helping him get ready to do commentary on Rampage

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Didn't see this mentioned:

Tommy gave an interview post-debut, where he said that he's still Tommy End...just possessed by Malachi Black, and his instagram movie promo thing pretty much spells that out. Also Meltzer and Alverez wondered how pissed off Vince is that Black's return promos on Smackdown pretty much just ended up being advertising for his AEW character.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Didn't see this mentioned:

Tommy gave an interview post-debut, where he said that he's still Tommy End...just possessed by Malachi Black, and his instagram movie promo thing pretty much spells that out. Also Meltzer and Alverez wondered how pissed off Vince is that Black's return promos on Smackdown pretty much just ended up being advertising for his AEW character.

If that's true that's not Big Biceps Tony but Big Brain Tony and Galaxy Brain Tommy playing with WWE. I fuckin' love it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Finally caught up, two great Dynamites back to back

But why did Excalibur know Tommy End is possessed by Malakai Black.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pylons posted:

I think all of those things make sense for the kind of character he's portraying but he absolutely needs a better finisher.
Both he and Tay have the hammerlock DDT describing their finisher, why does hers look killer and his look like a transitional midmatch move?

I hope he keeps the Yankee pants cuz Kingston cutting a promo on those pants will be wonderful.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Both he and Tay have the hammerlock DDT describing their finisher, why does hers look killer and his look like a transitional midmatch move?

I hope he keeps the Yankee pants cuz Kingston cutting a promo on those pants will be wonderful.

Andrade isn't doing a hammerlock DDT, he's doing a hammerlock STO, presumably because Tay is using the hammerlock DDT. He should really bring back the schoolboy suplex he used to do as La Sombra.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Finally caught up, two great Dynamites back to back

I'm going to guess that he watched Tommy's Instagram movie promo thing? It went up a few hours before the show. I get what Excalibur was going for, it was just delivered badly..."That's Tommy End.." followed by the kick to Cody, and then "That's not the Tommy End I knew 15 years ago... Tommy's always been into the occult and used to talk about being possessed... that's Malachi Black!" or something would have worked better.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 9, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

a cyborg mug posted:

it's been established to get a PWG booking you have to contribute to Ex's big book of wrestling facts for him to say on commentary.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I want towel Eddie to cut a promo on Andrade's pants. That would be :discourse:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In case people missed it (BECAUSE I SURE AS HELL DID) here are Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander having a pretty drat good intergender match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdYdhrLXHM

Pull the trigger, Tony. Pull it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I'm going to guess that he watched Tommy's Instagram movie promo thing? It went up a few hours before the show. I get what Excalibur was going for, it was just delivered badly..."That's Tommy End.." followed by the kick to Cody, and then "That's not the Tommy End I knew 15 years ago... Tommy's always been into the occult and used to talk about being possessed... that's Malachi Black!" or something would have worked better.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. It’s really weird how AEW does nearly anything else excellently but debuts seem to be always weird, bad or awkward in at least some way. Just call him Tommy End to start with since everyone knows that name but imply he’s different somehow. Then do a promo thing on the next show where he says he’s Malakai Black

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In case people missed it (BECAUSE I SURE AS HELL DID) here are Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander having a pretty drat good intergender match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdYdhrLXHM

Pull the trigger, Tony. Pull it.

Oh yeah, this is the Midwest Mixtape match from Mania weekend 2019, this match whiiiips.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

fez_machine posted:

or even in kayfabe is it so hard to believe that Black orchestrated his debut with GM Tony Khan who had secretly already signed him so as to get a blacked out arena during an inconsequential Arn interview and then Khan told Black's new gimmick name into the commentary team's ear pieces?

Hey Tony, do me a solid and dip the lights so I can knock the head off your beloved retired veteran.

Remember when the Bucks used to get fined for kicking refs? In the last month or so people have attacked Malenko twice, refs 3 times and now our beloved Arn with no kayfabe followup. Where is your consistency Tony?!?!?!

Anyway, it's really nice to have a crowd back. Surprised there wasn't more of a singalong for Where Is My Mind.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Excalibur has internet

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Excalibur has internet

Part of this is a character thing. In the fiction of the show would the character of Excalibur be following the Instagram of recently released psychiatric patient Malaki Black?

it's also for me that I get a bit frustrated with commentators faced with a surprise suddenly knowing everything about the surprise, but that's a personal preference rather than a problem with the story.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why does anyone care

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Part of this is a character thing. In the fiction of the show would the character of Excalibur be following the Instagram of recently released psychiatric patient Malaki Black?

it's also for me that I get a bit frustrated with commentators faced with a surprise suddenly knowing everything about the surprise, but that's a personal preference rather than a problem with the story.

The promo video was on the Tommy End Instagram account, so is it reasonable that Excalibur would be following the Instagram of someone he wrestled and appears to have respect for? Probably, yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lamuella posted:

Yeah but... that's not really how AEW operate. They don't really follow kayfabe 100% like some other feds have done over the years. Like they don't literally pretend Kris Statlander is a non-human alien lifeform from the Andromeda Galaxy. They acknowledge gimmicks, but also that these are real people with histories and lives.

Would Excalibur be following the IG of a random mental institute patient named Malachi Black? Not really. Would he be following the IG of a wrestler who is a mental patient named Malachi Black? Yes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

good show good number

ethan page is a really really good promo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

andrade debut was kind of eh but AEW has a fantastic track record of tinkering with new characters until they work so it’s not really a concern

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, AEW's various coaches will give advice to Andrade until he is ready for primetime.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

jesus WEP posted:

andrade debut was kind of eh but AEW has a fantastic track record of tinkering with new characters until they work so it’s not really a concern

next week

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lid posted:

next week

New The Warriors reboot looking good!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

worth remembering also that this was Andrade's first match on any kind of a big stage since October. He'd done a couple of tags in LA in small nightclub shows, but nothing on this scale in terms of either audience or production.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Loved the show, thought they kinda did QT dirty? I'm not a huge QT fan, but to have the culmination of a multi-week build be an "already in the ring" entrance and a squash seems ... Weird. Also the match was kinda awkward and boring.

Was the Fite.TV audio off? There were times when the crowd was like completely silent. Or was it a cold crowd, which would be surprising considering it's the first traveling show?

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 9, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

QT doesn't have draw at all to make him go over. And I feel that his whole "Tony Soprano" had already short legs. The Factory doesn't feel big and I hope Comoroto goes on his own.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Loved the show, thought they kinda did QT dirty? I'm not a huge QT fan, but to have the culmination of a multi-week build be an "already in the ring" entrance and a squash seems ... Weird. Also the match was kinda awkward and boring.

Was the Fite.TV audio off? There were times when the crowd was like completely silent. Or was it a cold crowd, which would be surprising considering it's the first traveling show?

QT did alright in the match itself, but the jobber entrance was weird and now he's just gonna be the leader of the least effective stable in AEW.

And the crowd was pretty lively, definitely had a few quiet spots, though.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If QT or the Factory are going to have any kind of life in AEW they need to get the gently caress away from Cody as soon as possible. That story is dead and should be buried. And then have concrete poured over the grave.

A lower card feud against some lower card faces could have legs, though. Something where Comoroto and Solow could get some wins against non-enhancement talent.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lamuella posted:

If QT or the Factory are going to have any kind of life in AEW they need to get the gently caress away from Cody as soon as possible. That story is dead and should be buried. And then have concrete poured over the grave.

A lower card feud against some lower card faces could have legs, though. Something where Comoroto and Solow could get some wins against non-enhancement talent.

Once Team Taz works everything out at Fyter Fest then they can feud with the Factory over possession of Hook.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Face Team Taz vs Heel Factory would be cool. Or roles reversed. Either way. The important thing is how did Excalibur get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lid posted:

next week

Like... you're clowning, but honestly the guy has such natural style and such good looks that he's pulling it off.

And I'm starting to question just how straight I actually am.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Haha nothing wrong with admiring beauty! My wife knows that when Wardlow comes out it's my time to oogle :wink:

Anywho a Team Taz vs Factory rivalry would be good, but I feel like Team Taz is way above them. Now a Wingmen vs Factory feud on the other hand....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I thought Andrade looked like an absolute killer in his debut match. The Black Mask-esque getup really added to his character's big boss at the end of the game/movie vibe. Dude also had some killer moves that the crowd ate up so much that I felt bad for Sydal cause they just didn't care for him at all in that match.