Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Umbra Dubium posted:

I mean really, "What If Thor Shaved?"; that's your big alternate timeline, Marvel?!

He's called "Party Thor" in promotional material, and it seems like the deviation (nexus?) point is "What if Odin never punished Thor" i.e. what if he never had to learn to be worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Reminds me. To all the other Lokis hanging at the end of time, the protagonist is just Office Loki.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So if Classic Loki is sad old lonely Loki does that make what he's wearing an Asgardian track suit?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Its Rinaldo posted:

So if Classic Loki is sad old lonely Loki does that make what he's wearing an Asgardian track suit?

Here's hoping the series ends with Loki strapping on his Fine Asgardian New Balances and mowing the lawn while Sylvie makes Baby Loki and Baby Loki some breakfast

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cage Kicker posted:

Here's hoping the series ends with Loki strapping on his Fine Asgardian New Balances and mowing the lawn while Sylvie makes Baby Loki and Baby Loki some breakfast

You mean Kid Loki and Gator Loki?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cage Kicker posted:

Season 2 is Wandavision but everyone is Loki and 1 Mobius.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thankfully RDJs arc is dead after the last avengers . He doesn’t work very well in modern times

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Also if they didn't get RDJ back to voice Tony Stark (sure doesn't sound like him) that's a bummer. Not like they'd need a lot of his time for VA for a half hour episode.

Now that they've opened the "any different actor playing a role is a multiverse variant" door, it's probably easier to justify why this version of Stark sounds off.

Which I guess also implies that half of the Phase 1 movies got pruned, thanks to Rhodey, Banner, and Fandral.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

The actress is fine they just aren't using her well. In a show that's trying to be all about 'is it possible to change who you are?' her character exists to say 'no' and specifically she's the opposite side of the coin to Mobius. Where she is interacting with Owen Wilson it's all fantastic, right up to the climax where he's giving on up the TVA and she's so threatened by that that she cuts him off.

Any scene where she isn't directly opposite Wilson it's like her direction was "whatever just read the lines and stand there blankly you exist to dump exposition"

e: the TVA could totally be telling the truth 'from a certain point of view'. At one point there was a war between universes. This universe won and the guy in charge commits regular genocide to keep it that way.

I don't think the "dump exposition" thing is true. Renslayer was dumping exposition to lull Sylvia into waiting for more exposition to be dumped on the BS "time ship" to buy time for other TVA agents to get there.

As far as Renslayer's motives and mindset go, I think the revelation about the Timekeepers has shaken her and made her feel like a bit of a fool. However, she's not quite as ready as B-15 (or possibly Mobius) to toss the TVA down a rathole. Sylvie noted that Hunter C-20s memories of being Margarita Girl were centuries old. So C-20 presumably spent a lot of time working for the TVA. How long must Renslayer have spent to rise to the rank of Judge? And she has a really nice office. And those trophies look cool.

Also, let's do remember that as fun and charismatic that Sophia Di Martino and Tom Hiddleston are as "Lokis in (denial of being in) love", Di Martino's Sylvie is still the person from the end of episode one who lured some TVA agents to an oil field and burned them alive. And she has been doing poo poo like that for a while. So, it's not that hard to understand why Renslayer would be less-than-immediately willing to join Team "That loving bitch who murdered a bunch of my friends and co-workers"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

As far as Renslayer's motives and mindset go, I think the revelation about the Timekeepers has shaken her and made her feel like a bit of a fool. However, she's not quite as ready as B-15 (or possibly Mobius) to toss the TVA down a rathole. Sylvie noted that Hunter C-20s memories of being Margarita Girl were centuries old. So C-20 presumably spent a lot of time working for the TVA. How long must Renslayer have spent to rise to the rank of Judge? And she has a really nice office. And those trophies look cool.
This is where knowing the bare minimum about Ravonna from the comics can help a lot, because her role there is pretty exclusively to be involved with Kang. A whole lot of her motivations click into place when you see her as working for/with Kang as his girlfriend. It honestly explains the "nice things in her office" angle really well and squares with the very teenage romance vibe this series like to throw around (not knocking it).

I'm not saying they're going to do some big reveal or anything since (Quantumania spoilers) Smollett is making his debut in Quantumania and it would break Marvel protocol for everyone but Thanos to seed a new villain directly this far in advance in what is ultimately a side property but it's also much more plausibly on the table because they're filming Quantumania right now and thus presumably have a script/story worked out and it'd be pretty easy to just have it all reference her "boyfriend" who is one bad mamma jamma and just vacated their vacation spot at the End of Time to escape.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

Also, let's do remember that as fun and charismatic that Sophia Di Martino and Tom Hiddleston are as "Lokis in (denial of being in) love", Di Martino's Sylvie is still the person from the end of episode one who lured some TVA agents to an oil field and burned them alive. And she has been doing poo poo like that for a while. So, it's not that hard to understand why Renslayer would be less-than-immediately willing to join Team "That loving bitch who murdered a bunch of my friends and co-workers"

Hah, CLASSIC Loki prank!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

• Pull a child from her home wihout any warning or explanation
  • Put her through a process that'd be confusing for adults with no accommodations for her age
  • After she escapes hunt her for centuries or even millennia with the full intent to kill her for no apparent reason
  • Wonder why she's killing you when you chase her?

It's perfectly plausible why someone would join her, which is why it's so immediately understandable when Mobius does. Then apologizes for his role in her life afterwards. Hunter B-15 joined her pretty quick too, once she realized she was living a lie.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 9, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

RDJ gets to name his price as Tony Stark. Always has. The fact that Disney's massive resource pool could only apparently source Great Value RDJ is hard proof of how hard he is to mimic, and that scarcity translates to a high loving paycheck. And eventually Disney will pay for it, but not until they really feel a project needs a major boost, the way they shilled out $17 million to help cement Spider-Man: Homecoming.

To his credit though if you do pay RDJ bucks for Tony Stark, he shows up to play. One thing that earned me massive respect about the guy is he never once felt like he was phoning it in, demanding greater focus, or taking his time as Stark less than seriously.

The inverse of that was RDJ apparently wanted to guest star on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and would work for scale to do it, and Disney told him no.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The inverse of that was RDJ apparently wanted to guest star on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and would work for scale to do it, and Disney told him no.
Willing to bet dollars to donuts that was tied directly to the Perlmutter power struggles.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Hah, CLASSIC Loki prank!

The Loki holo-rewind montage shows the scene where he drills into some dude's eyeball. Loki's harsh, man.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Wouldn't a lot of people get sick if half of all the bacteria in their bodies suddenly died?

I thought that at first, too, but then figured that if the bacteria inside each snapped person also disappeared with them, there's your 50% of gut bacteria biomass.

It almost certainly did result in some completely collapsed biomes, though.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They need to have the big bad in the castle be Bicycle Loki.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

tsob posted:

• Put her through a process that'd be confusing for adults with no accommodations for her age
  • After she escapes hunt her for centuries or even millennia with the full intent to kill her for no apparent reason

It's perfectly plausible why someone would join her, which is why it's so immediately understandable when Mobius does. Then apologizes for his role in her life afterwards. Hunter B-15 joined her pretty quick too, once she realized she was living a lie.

Renslayer is TVA to the core. She fully believes in what they stand for. She doesn't care about any of the things you listed. Sylvie is just one more uppity Variant to be pruned.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The Loki Simpsons special just made me want to watch Classic Simpsons instead of whatever that was. Would've worked just fine as a series of wallpapers released on social media tbh

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Everyone posted:

I don't think the "dump exposition" thing is true. Renslayer was dumping exposition to lull Sylvia into waiting for more exposition to be dumped on the BS "time ship" to buy time for other TVA agents to get there.
kinda strange that miss minutes was the one who came up with the bs timeship and renslayer ran with it. i wonder if the scene in ep1 or 2 where loki asks what the heck she is while swatting at the hologram with a rolled magazine wasn't foreshadowing something sinister about her. if miss minutes cursed like a sailor, she'd fit right into the cast of glengarry glen ross

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ignis posted:

The Loki Simpsons special just made me want to watch Classic Simpsons instead of whatever that was. Would've worked just fine as a series of wallpapers released on social media tbh

yeah it was nice to listen to more Hiddleston but that was some dumb television, feel bad for the animators who had to do it

for mcu purposes though this shot of the "springfield avengers" appears to show Maggie as tinkerbell

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DukeofCA posted:

tsob posted:

Renslayer is TVA to the core. She fully believes in what they stand for. She doesn't care about any of the things you listed. Sylvie is just one more uppity Variant to be pruned.

Oh, no, I'm completely Team Sylvie as far as why she did what she did. Perfectly understandable and justifiable. But as DukeofCA noted, Renslayer doesn't really care why Sylvie did what she did. She just cares that Sylvie did it and I can understand that viewpoint as well.

As far as B-15 and Mobius are concerned. I kind of get B-15. She's a person who was devoted to the TVA under false pretenses and once that falsehood was revealed, she turned 180 degrees against them. With Mobius I'm not sure I totally buy his "burn the TVA to the ground" bit completely. He's an analyst. He's going to want to figure out who or what is behind the TVA and why they're doing what they're doing. It wouldn't surprise me to see him working with Renslayer to do that. Though hopefully his time with the Lokis will have prepared him to counter her "sudden but inevitable betrayal."

Meanwhile, Renslayer is TVA to the core, but she's TVA to the core. She's not necessarily person-behind-the-robot-Timekeepers to the core. Which is why she wants to find out who that person is and what they really want. And whatever BS she fed to Ms. Minutes, she's probably not trying to find that person just to protect them from the "Lokis"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DukeofCA posted:

Renslayer is a cop.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah it was nice to listen to more Hiddleston but that was some dumb television, feel bad for the animators who had to do it

for mcu purposes though this shot of the "springfield avengers" appears to show Maggie as tinkerbell

Ooof. A "joke" that's that shallow, and they still feel the need to have someone holding a sign explaining the joke. I know making GBS threads on modern simpsons is just as tired as the show itself, but this really deserves it.

Well, at least RalpHulk is kinda fun/cute.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I think we need this.

https://twitter.com/SadMeganGirls/status/1412985256056168449

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Willing to bet dollars to donuts that was tied directly to the Perlmutter power struggles.

Can you imagine the utopia we'd live in if Ike Perlmutter hosed off decades ago. I read recently that he said recasting Terence Howard to Don Cheadle would work because "all black people look the same" and he was cheaper, so he was obviously a toxic influence from the start of the MCU.

He was also a large financial backer of the trump campaign and a senior advisor.

Also RDJ being in AoS would make it unadvoidably canon and we could've had Fitzsimmons in Wandavision and Mack giving advice to Sam in FATWS :yayclod:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

BurritoJustice posted:

Also RDJ being in AoS would make it unadvoidably canon and we could've had Fitzsimmons in Wandavision and Mack giving advice to Sam in FATWS :yayclod:

SMJ's been in more MCU films than RDJ and his presence didn't make AoS much more canon :v:

Except in my heart, where it remains the sacred timeline.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The Chris Hemsworth Shark Show is alright. No crocodiles though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Can you imagine the utopia we'd live in if Ike Perlmutter hosed off decades ago. I read recently that he said recasting Terence Howard to Don Cheadle would work because "all black people look the same" and he was cheaper, so he was obviously a toxic influence from the start of the MCU.

I mean it worked out for the best in this one singular instance. Terence Howard loving suuuuuuucked in Iron Man 1 and imagining the rest of the MCU with him as Rhodey sends shivers down my spine whereas Don Cheadle commands your attention every second he's on screen even when he's not doing anything, he's that charismatic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean it worked out for the best in this one singular instance. Terence Howard loving suuuuuuucked in Iron Man 1 and imagining the rest of the MCU with him as Rhodey sends shivers down my spine whereas Don Cheadle commands your attention every second he's on screen even when he's not doing anything, he's that charismatic.

Howard didn't suck, he just played the character completely different. Cheadle's Rhodey is a lot harder than Howard's, which works as the military stooge he's shown as being but also Howard sold their friendship better in the first movie better than Cheadle did in five.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't Howard some nutter that refuses to acknowledge 1+1=2 or 1*1=1 or some other basic math thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Howard didn't suck, he just played the character completely different. Cheadle's Rhodey is a lot harder than Howard's, which works as the military stooge he's shown as being but also Howard sold their friendship better in the first movie better than Cheadle did in five.

There's a smattering of moments in the first Iron Man where Howard really comes alive, yes, and they're all directly connected to RDJ, but by and large to me it felt like he was just phoning it in most of the time because it was just some generic C-Tier comic book movie that didn't even really have a script and they were improvising their way through and nobody knew how successful it was going to be or what it would launch in the moment so he just kind of sleepwalked through it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 9, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ash1138 posted:

kinda strange that miss minutes was the one who came up with the bs timeship and renslayer ran with it. i wonder if the scene in ep1 or 2 where loki asks what the heck she is while swatting at the hologram with a rolled magazine wasn't foreshadowing something sinister about her. if miss minutes cursed like a sailor, she'd fit right into the cast of glengarry glen ross

YES! I noticed that too, and it’s really interesting that Miss Minutes has agency like that. She’s been presented before now as being like a free-floating Clippy, but apparently there’s actual intelligence there too. Definitely more than meets the eye (but she’s probably not a transformer) with her, and I’m intrigued to see more about that. Maybe season 2?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just can't see Terrance Howard as Warmachine, not at all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I have a hard time picturing Howard in IM3 and especially in Civil War but Rhodey taking the suit in IM2 would've hit harder because Cheadle seems more like Tony's handler than his friend.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Im more then happy that Howard isnt playing War Machine.

In February 2009, it was reported on The Smoking Gun that Howard was arrested in 2001 for a variety of charges related to a violent attack on his estranged first wife, including simple assault, terrorist threats, harassment and stalking. According to police reports, he arrived at her house after an argument on the phone, forced entry into her home by breaking in doors, and chased her into the backyard where he punched her twice in the face with a closed fist. The violent attack ended when Howard's brother stepped in. In 2002, he pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace.[40]

According to The Smoking Gun, Howard was also arrested for assaulting a Continental Airlines flight attendant after refusing her request to return to his seat because the seat belt sign was on.[41]

On December 5, 2011, a judge granted Howard's then-wife Michelle Ghent a restraining order based on her claims that Howard had caused her physical injuries that required medical attention, once broke her computer in half, repeatedly threatened her, and stalked her by telephone and on the Internet.[42]

In August 2013, Ghent obtained a second restraining order against him after showing up in court with a black eye she says he gave her.[43]

In a September 2015 interview with Rolling Stone, Howard admitted to hitting his first wife in 2001 saying, "she was talking to me real strong, and I lost my mind and slapped her in front of the kids."[44]

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not saying I like Howard, and Cheadle was a great change. Terence has only gone further off the deep end since then while Cheadle is a wholesome, progressive dude (protect trans kids!).

Just illustrating that Perlmutter was already making production calls based on racism/sexism at the very start of the MCU. He's a vile man.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah howard is an example of accidentally getting to a good outcome (because that guy is an abusive nightmare) but through the worst possible means and motives, you do not gotta hand it to them, etc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Wasn't the Howard replacement driven by contract disputes over him wanting to renegotiate for co-billing and closer compensation to RDJ after Iron Man was a hit?

I wouldn't say that is the "worst possible means and motives" or Ike Perlmutter being racist. I don't think Cheadle is a more "racist" choice than Howard or that any actor would get Marvel to let them out of their contract and negotiate a new contract where they got paid as much as RDJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wasn't the Howard replacement driven by contract disputes over him wanting to renegotiate for co-billing and closer compensation to RDJ after Iron Man was a hit?

I wouldn't say that is the "worst possible means and motives" or Ike Perlmutter being racist. I don't think Cheadle is a more "racist" choice than Howard or that any actor would get Marvel to let them out of their contract and negotiate a new contract where they got paid as much as RDJ.

Yeah, he jumped ship because they wouldn’t pay him what he wanted which if I recall correctly he actually didn’t ask for much, relatively, as he only asked for the amount someone he felt would be paid for being a big part of the movie. I don’t remember him asking to be paid as much as RDJ.

Also I feel like we have the technology now, and maybe Disney wouldn’t be apposed to paying for it, but couldn’t Marvel redo some of Iron Man with just replacing scenes with Howard in them with Cheadle?