Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Everyone who has ever mined a Bitcoin should be shot.

I need to build a new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i just bought horse armor called celtic frost.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

wearing a lampshade posted:

i just bought horse armor called celtic frost.

That’s my favorite 5 gum flavor

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I, too, am eagerly awaiting the day when I can upgrade to a system newer than my 2015 setup. It's still a workhorse but the new SSDs and faster RAM would no doubt help a lot with loading lag. Windows 11 might be when I pull the trigger.

I've decided to eschew combat virtuosity in favor of tactical skills and that makes lag a bit less of a problem.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone playing Bannerlord Online? PVP looks interesting, but still somewhat inconsequential.

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Anyone playing Bannerlord Online? PVP looks interesting, but still somewhat inconsequential.

I checked it out last night. I'm new to this game series so I don't have any useful information. Getting to the point you can leave the castle and go wandering around took a while to get to, the process for doing so isn't immediately obvious. You must speak with people in the tavern and save up thousands in gold for gear. Plus there is an arena, 150 gold for winning, seems the only way to get money when you start. Not bad at all though because you get free weapons leveling, it was actually pretty fun, good for figuring out the mechanics in pvp with nothing on the line. I'll probably be switching from Arma 3 to this as my primary game, will be looking for other people playing this in the discord channel when I am on in the evenings.

Oh yeah it was fun in the arena fighting with rocks, I kept my fists out and just hugged other players so they couldn't throw rocks while I beat them. One complaint from my enemy, one smile upon my face.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Sadistic Hamster posted:

I checked it out last night. I'm new to this game series so I don't have any useful information. Getting to the point you can leave the castle and go wandering around took a while to get to, the process for doing so isn't immediately obvious. You must speak with people in the tavern and save up thousands in gold for gear. Plus there is an arena, 150 gold for winning, seems the only way to get money when you start. Not bad at all though because you get free weapons leveling, it was actually pretty fun, good for figuring out the mechanics in pvp with nothing on the line. I'll probably be switching from Arma 3 to this as my primary game, will be looking for other people playing this in the discord channel when I am on in the evenings.

Oh yeah it was fun in the arena fighting with rocks, I kept my fists out and just hugged other players so they couldn't throw rocks while I beat them. One complaint from my enemy, one smile upon my face.
If you go to to a nearby village you can farm for dinars, it's much faster unless that's been changed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I picked up Bannerlord again as there have been some substantial updates. My initial return was not good, I forgot how pants your character is at the start and got very frustrated being captured by small mobs of looters, or if I went down at any point, my men would rout to a small parcel of bandits. Much easier when you've got a bit of armour, although you still need to be careful. Archers and missiles on general still seem very strong. You can ride in amongst more than a few archers and expect to scatter them, they just swivel round pinging shots into you.

Anyway my question is about smithing. How necessary are the perks to make extra steel? The alternate is unlocking more parts. Which also seems very important, I've barely unlocked any at 50 smithing skill.

Is there any current mod to remove smithing stamina (and/or to unlock all parts)? It's amazing how unfun and poorly implemented a mechanic it is right now. First of all you can barely get anything done without waiting in town, which is the opposite of what you want to do. Even worse, it doesn't display the stamina bar unless you stop waiting and go in the smithy! You can't even see your progress on the one thing you're waiting for?!

Finally, what were the axes that specifically had the ability to cut through multiple people? And is that shown on the interface somewhere? Need one of those.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

Anyway my question is about smithing. How necessary are the perks to make extra steel? The alternate is unlocking more parts. Which also seems very important, I've barely unlocked any at 50 smithing skill.

I tend to have all materials perks on the NPC companions and then learning stuff on my PC

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Genghis Cohen posted:

Finally, what were the axes that specifically had the ability to cut through multiple people? And is that shown on the interface somewhere? Need one of those.

afaik any two handed axe will hit two dudes

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Enjoy posted:

I tend to have all materials perks on the NPC companions and then learning stuff on my PC

Oh, this is an excellent idea. Hadn't thought about it, but you don't need smithing skill to refine materials and it will eventually build their skills up until they get the perks. Basically quintuples my smithing stamina. Nice one.

I also just learned you can and should smelt down plundered weapons - does this produce more based on smithing skill, or count to building up your skills? I might delegate that to companions as well.

Flavahbeast posted:

afaik any two handed axe will hit two dudes

That's good to know, will give it a try later.

One thing that consistently irritates me is how you practically only ever get crap loot from battles. First of all, it just makes inventory management tedious - past the super early game, no one ever wants a load of tattered shirts, making the player sell them for pennies is dumb, just give a bit of a gold subsidy for beating any enemies. Second, even decent gear always comes with low red stats and words like 'cracked', 'bent', 'ragged' etc. I know from a simulationist point of view this is meant to be battle damaged kit. But if that's the case there should be a way to repair it! Bizarre that I can kill and capture 100 trained vlandian soldiers, and the plunder I get is some shoes and cracked arrows.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is there any current mod to remove smithing stamina (and/or to unlock all parts)?

FWIW, I also picked this up recently after several months and my extremely out of date smithing stamina removal mod worked fine without updates required. Can’t comment on parts unlocking mods, but making two handed swords seems by far the fastest way to do it naturally.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Genghis Cohen posted:

One thing that consistently irritates me is how you practically only ever get crap loot from battles.

I would be down with "You receive ___ gold in plunder" along with a smaller number of decent items. On the other hand, once you build up a small vassal force and join/form armies the wealth just flows in (assuming things go well).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is there any current mod to remove smithing stamina (and/or to unlock all parts)? It's amazing how unfun and poorly implemented a mechanic it is right now. First of all you can barely get anything done without waiting in town, which is the opposite of what you want to do. Even worse, it doesn't display the stamina bar unless you stop waiting and go in the smithy! You can't even see your progress on the one thing you're waiting for?!

Gyoru posted:

All the misc patch mods were rolled into Kaoses Tweaks including crafting changes (disabling energy/changing regen rates)

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

This lets you, among other things, get unlimited smithing energy and unlock all the parts.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah. Playing this game on a SSD is 100% mandatory.

Wow you were not kidding at all.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

selling battle loot is more manageable if you tick the little yellow radial button next to the weapons and armor you want to keep and then click the "transfer all" button on the weapon and armor pages. the radial button is a "lock" button that prevents it from being transferred when you do the transfer all

breaking down weapons into components gives smithing xp but your smithing level doesn't give you more components or anything

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
You can occasionally unlock parts via smelting but it's super rare. Never count on it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You can occasionally unlock parts via smelting but it's super rare. Never count on it.

I think it's a function of experience gain. So smelting the expensive javelins and two-handers gives parts quicker.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

I think it's a function of experience gain. So smelting the expensive javelins and two-handers gives parts quicker.

Yep, once you've got funding, the fastest way to skill smithing and unlock parts is to make and then smelt the highest price stuff you've got.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Get all party members with EN at least 3, use them to make charcoal and steel, buy and smelt daggers (tribal throwing daggers cost 500 a piece, smelt for 1 steel iron and fine steel) and start forging-smelting 2-hand steel blades swords (10-30k apiece without needing a piece of fine steel, sell one to fund purchasing more weapons to smelt to raw materials)

Still takes at least 3-4 hours unless you start with either a very good blade unlocked early or a ton of war loot to smelt.

If luck gives you heavy falchion blade you are literally set for life, it’s a 2-handed orc blade that uses 5 wrought iron.

I usually use my character (starting END 6-7 to allow fast gain) for all learning perks and have a companion set for my main steel/fine steel smelter. First 1 skill focuses to smithing; it pays off immediately since smithing levels you up fast.

Also any new companion you get at smithing lvl zero instantly get them to craft one highest-level twohander you can; it gives huge skill boost in smithing as long as they got the END to allow it.

Also if anyone is not aware; the negatives for playing a woman from MB1 haven’t carried over. PC marrying a lord does not change clan, and your character can get preggers and multiply as soon as you marry someone - my newest character nonchalantly dwarf-fortressed a firstborn out in the middle of a campaign.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 9, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fief management is simultaneously shallow and nonsensical. Take over a town, it starts with low loyalty which can't increase because prosperity is so low. Prosperity is low because there is a food shortage, which is caused by low prosperity. Can't build anything to fix this because of the low loyalty. I've flooded the market with imported grain and other food but it still shows as having no food.

They've been working on this game for almost a decade lol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the next doom stack that comes along is just going to take the town back over anyway. also I'm fully funded by smithing, who gives a poo poo about towns

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the end game has always been the weak point of the franchise. It's just weird to see that in the 15 years since M&B became somewhat popular, the devs haven't been able to make any real improvements in that regard. They've put some nice window dressing on it but once you get to the leading an army phase, it gets dull really quickly.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's like Battlefield. Lots of obvious ways to improve, bad concepts introduced, but just no competition who might actually fix them.

I find it much more forgivable because unlike DICE, Taleworlds has moved in the right direction more than the wrong direction, and also because it's a relatively small company - though the countless millions they've made over the years make that excuse sillier with time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Many thanks for all the smithing details and explanations. Especially aparmenideanmonad for the mod link. Working on unlocking some lucrative swords now!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Fief management is simultaneously shallow and nonsensical. Take over a town, it starts with low loyalty which can't increase because prosperity is so low. Prosperity is low because there is a food shortage, which is caused by low prosperity. Can't build anything to fix this because of the low loyalty. I've flooded the market with imported grain and other food but it still shows as having no food.

They've been working on this game for almost a decade lol

I just find all the interlinked economy stuff so misguided. Like of course it will get broken over the knee of the playerbase as soon as people figure out the exploits, so why bother spending all this time tweaking and balancing a whole host of causes and effects on pricing? Just set sensible values on what you can buy and what you can sell, like any normal video game. Make prosperity a simple thing that goes up gradually when the place is at peace with neighbours, and takes a hit when it gets raided. For fucks sake.

On the positive side, made the move from mercenary to vassal and the Sturgian king gave me a handful of mid-tier noble troops and a unique top-tier 2handed axe, which does phenomenal damage and does indeed smash through multiple targets. Hurrah!

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure prosperity has no effect on loyalty or food supply, it’s the other way around actually. Also you can always build things with cash. But you’re right that newly conquered towns have low loyalty, so there’s that I guess. :shrug:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I just can’t see how I’ll ever get to the point of being able to form my own kingdom

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

My castle has a governor and the loyalty penalty is so high that the money I put to boost construction still does nothing. I chose the loyalty growth option but it's at zero/day. Surely I could buy some loyalty with generous donations but I don't see how to do it.

I have multiple workshops and money isn't a worry, at least.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you can make up the lovely loyalty for a recently conquered town by installing a governor with the same culture (which gives +1 per day) and stuffing the garrison full of troops since high security gives bonus loyalty. also resolve issues in villages and for merchants and craftsmen

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I'll try that, thanks.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
On the flipside solving issues for gang leaders tanks a town’s security which can cause it to revolt if its loyalty is already low making it an easy conquest.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's also some policies that help with loyalty though good luck passing any of them if you're not running your own kingdom.

https://mountandblade2bannerlord.wiki.fextralife.com/Kingdom+Management

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm trying a campaign with death turned on and I gotta be honest it just doesn't work for this game. You companions level up far too slowly for even the negligible (I believe it's 2%?) chance of dying considering they will be knocked out in pretty much every single large scale engagement.

Until I can tell my medic and engineer to just not get involved with the fighting at all I think I'll stick with no deaths.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
I give all my companions horses and put them in their own command group, and set them to follow me for the entire battle. I only let them loose when the enemy starts routing. That way I keep them safe/they act as my bodyguards if I get dehorsed. You could also order them to retreat at the start of every battle.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

I just can’t see how I’ll ever get to the point of being able to form my own kingdom

I've done this two different ways. In one playthrough I spent a lot of time building up strong companions and lots of money (~8M dinars) with BS. Then took a town that rebelled from the vlandians. Since I was clan level 5, as soon as I was town owner I could start a kingdom. In this playthrough the vlandians didn't start a war with my new kingdom for the town, so pretty easy from there.

In the most recent run, I took a town that rebelled from the khuzaits, immediately made a kingdom, and called in all my clan parties to an army. They, unfortunately, quickly started a war with me and marched a 2k army towards me. I had no influence and couldn't/didn't want to pay a tribute. So I took out a smaller 400 man khuzait army, then followed the 2k army around until it lost cohesion and got into 2 more fights with ~500 each. After those three battles I only had about 250 men still standing, but enough influence and they were willing to accept a peace with no tribute. So I lost my town but got the kingdom. Now I'm just marching around with my army learning leadership and trying to figure out where and who I want to fight to get a new castle or town. I also have 1.6M dinars to bankroll all of this. I also increased the looter spawn numbers to like 50+ so I can generate money with my army fighting them. It's pretty easy to do in the SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBox\ModuleData\partyTemplates.xml file

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

bltzn posted:

I give all my companions horses and put them in their own command group, and set them to follow me for the entire battle. I only let them loose when the enemy starts routing. That way I keep them safe/they act as my bodyguards if I get dehorsed. You could also order them to retreat at the start of every battle.

I totally forgot about the retreat option. The "follow me" option starts becoming less and less useful as you outlevel your companions are start whizzing about the battlefield at mach 3 on your horse, unless you're playing less of a frontline commander and more of a tactician.

Although I've been having weird issues with the game randomly adding troops to my "companions only" formations. I suspect it may be related to the Distinguished Service mod, since most of my companions used to be regular troops. Maybe the game still thinks they are on some level and so assigns others of that troop type to the formation in question.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 10, 2021

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've definitely run through a lot of companions so far, and I accidentally got my little brother and sister killed from the storyline. If it wasn't such a grind to get these pricks leveled back up I'd be fine.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

the tweaks mod is essential for companion death

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The fief assignments seem a little more generous to the player than they were a year or so ago. The Vlandians gave me two border castles near Ortysia and then (by spending influence) Ortysia itself, for a nice little pocket of territory at the crossroads with the southern continent. Of course, I have had to fight like hell to defend it, being at the border and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I joined up with Aserai; got the first fief they conquered. Onira. So now my lvl 3 clan is defending an aserai city in the middle of the empire.

Gonna get spicy when khuzaits stop waging war to souther empire and I get their full attention.