Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

From what I can piece together, we're just getting some of our doses sooner than was expected. Good news but certainly not a game-changer.

Correct: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/australia-pfizer-doses-announcement-scott-morrison-vaccines/100280104

quote:

Since mid-June the Pfizer vaccine has been recommended for Australians aged under 60, putting pressure on the limited supply of doses.

Currently, Australia has between 300,000 and 350,000 doses of Pfizer per week to administer, but demand outstrips that.

But from July 19 Pfizer has confirmed Australia can expect 1 million doses a week.

That means 4.5 million doses of Pfizer will be delivered in August, when such a number initially was not expected until September.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that would prop up the government's existing plans to offer every willing Australian a first vaccine dose by the end of the year.

"If we keep these rates up we'll hit that," he said.

The acceleration means more doses about one month sooner than expected, but …

These aren't new or 'extra' doses of Pfizer

Australia has contracted Pfizer for 40 million doses to be delivered by the end of the year, and the doses announced today come from that pool.

Pfizer released a statement saying the changes were "in line with our weekly delivery schedule", but hours later changed its language to say "we continue to update our weekly schedule in line with the ramp-up".

"The total number of 40 million doses we are contracted to deliver to Australia over 2021 has not changed.
We continue to work closely with the government to support the ramp up of their rollout program," the updated statement said.

"While the details of our agreement with the Government are confidential, we can confirm that deliveries to Australia  remain on track."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

From what I can piece together, we're just getting some of our doses sooner than was expected. Good news but certainly not a game-changer.

I don't know how our federal politicians expect people to believe them about anything at this point. Never have I seen so much political capital squandered so recklessly.

Scomo supporting the actions of the NSW government has actually become a political liability for Gladys.

If all you care about is winning the next election there are examples to follow, but they're Labor governments so nah

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kick Scotty out
Bring Jacinda in

All hail Big Zealand

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Caesar Saladin posted:

covid might be bad but i sneezed while eating sushi for lunch today and shot rice up my nose.

Last year I went out drinking and vomited while wearing a facemask

Do not reccomend

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is he really crowing about the fact that they're coming out marginally more quickly?

christ alive.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

tithin posted:

Is he really crowing about the fact that they're coming out marginally more quickly?

christ alive.

They made a big deal of it when vaccinations were rolled forward from starting in March to starting in late February. I suspect most Australians had envisaged at the end of last year that we'd all be vaccinated by now. They may have accepted "it's not a race" before, but now it couldn't be clearer that it is a race and it's one we're losing at the moment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

They may have accepted "it's not a race" before, but now it couldn't be clearer that it is a race and it's one we're losing at the moment.

:v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzUFX2CzMI

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have never set foot in an IKEA and I mean to keep it that way until I die.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Ruh roh, looks like Tassie wants in on the action.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/tasmania-launceston-hospital-worker-positive-test-after-flight/100282250

quote:

A former Launceston health worker who had previously tested negative for COVID-19 returned a positive test after flying home to London
Authorities say it's most likely the worker contracted COVID-19 while travelling from Australia to the UK
The worker had spent time travelling around Tasmania, and authorities will on Saturday release onto the coronavirus website a list of places they visited

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Let's hope they contracted it while travelling home.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Absolutely, I live here - on the other hand we've had it way too easy the past year - Covid for us has been an SEP. While you've all been experiencing lockdowns and mandatory facemasks, we've been taking advantage of the fact that we're so backwards that even Covid doesn't know we exist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tithin posted:

christ alive.

He's also confirmed (but only after he was asked about it) that even though we're getting those Pfizer deliveries faster than expected we still won't be opening up vaccines for the under 40s any sooner
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/scott-morrison-national-cabinet-covid-vaccine-nsw-outbreak/100281492

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's also confirmed (but only after he was asked about it) that even though we're getting those Pfizer deliveries faster than expected we still won't be opening up vaccines for the under 40s any sooner
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/scott-morrison-national-cabinet-covid-vaccine-nsw-outbreak/100281492

Tell me you dont give a poo poo about anyone other than boomers, without telling me you dont give a poo poo about anyone other than boomers.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I have never wanted to punch someone as much as I want to punch scott morrison.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

ZombyDog posted:

Absolutely, I live here - on the other hand we've had it way too easy the past year - Covid for us has been an SEP. While you've all been experiencing lockdowns and mandatory facemasks, we've been taking advantage of the fact that we're so backwards that even Covid doesn't know we exist.

Could it be that the Tassie population genetics are all so similar (see Iceland “incest prevention” dating app for similarities) that once the virus infects one person, it thinks it's already infected everyone else, and just moves along.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bill Posters posted:

I want to punch Brad Hazzard just as much as I want to punch Scomo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Posters posted:

I took it as read that this was why he's "quarantining" for so long. Not because you specifically, but more broadly-speaking with everyone being fed up with him.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I heard on the news today only 20% of 70+ are vaccinated. Lol

Just watched black widow on Disney+ not a bad flick, but not the greatest. The stinger at the though.....

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raged posted:

Let's keep prioritising people who don't want the vaccine.

Just loving open it up and let us book in.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Mne nravitsya posted:

Could it be that the Tassie population genetics are all so similar (see Iceland “incest prevention” dating app for similarities) that once the virus infects one person, it thinks it's already infected everyone else, and just moves along.

I have mates in Tassie and would love to retire there.

I feel that there are enough folks moving there for its bucolic splendour to keep the gene pool moving but there are a few stagnant puddles for sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Let's keep prioritising people who don't want the vaccine.

Just loving open it up and let us book in.

But then Labour constituents might get it!!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Raged posted:

It's over 70% for the first dose and around 20ish for the second. That's a function of AZ being the vaccine which was available to most of that demographic.

I only just had my second dose and I had my first ASAP.

Scomo has probably hosed it up further by telling people to get their second AZ dose at 8 weeks. Change the dosing schedule and you need to make sure those second doses are available to providers 4 weeks earlier. Logistics isn't Scotty's strong point.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 9, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've got a surgery on monday, my first pfizer on tuesday, and a fuckin house inspection on wednesday

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Bill Posters posted:

I have mates in Tassie and would love to retire there.

I feel that there are enough folks moving there for its bucolic splendour to keep the gene pool moving but there are a few stagnant puddles for sure.

It doesn't seem that long ago people were bemoaning the diaspora of all the young folks of Tassie fleeing for the north island and being replaced by retirees, and our real estate situation vs income and opportunities hasn't helped the point.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Bill Posters posted:

It's not just you. He has this punchable smirk face that makes you want to knock it right off, because he's full of poo poo.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BastardAus posted:

It's not just you. He has this punchable smirk face that makes you want to knock it right off, because he's full of poo poo.

I bet if you did actually knock his block off it'd be like that scene in Joe Dirt when they knock the cap off that septic tank.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

It doesn't seem that long ago people were bemoaning the diaspora of all the young folks of Tassie fleeing for the north island and being replaced by retirees, and our real estate situation vs income and opportunities hasn't helped the point.

Don't get me wrong. Economically you're still hosed. I just don't think you're likely to start birthing abominations any time soon.

I love Tasmania but the forestry industry there needs to gently caress right off.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BastardAus posted:

“I hope Scott’s house burns down”

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Feelin a bit seedy this morning. Since I stopped working in pubs I go through maybe 1 bottle of booze a year. Decided to have a few last night and jeez being over 40 sucks when it comes to hangovers.

So how many cases is NSW going to have today? My guess is 56.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Raged posted:

I'm guessing that it will be over 50. I'm more concerned about the close contacts rising to over 20,000, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raged posted:

Hopefully enough to do forced lock downs and define what essential actually is.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it normal to get a hot water bill separate from your water and electricity bill when you own property in this silly country? Coming from a Vancouver apartment where water was free and electricity was cheap so I'm confused.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is it normal to get a hot water bill separate from your water and electricity bill when you own property in this silly country? Coming from a Vancouver apartment where water was free and electricity was cheap so I'm confused.

Nope. I get water, gas & electricity bills

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Generally speaking, yes. Hot water is charged at a different tariff than other electricity use. You can almost always find a better plan than the default one, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

50 new cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjD3EVC1-zU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
26 infectious in the community.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

26 cases out in the community.

lol :rip: all of July

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_gk3X5UEE

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hot water is on the off-peak (night time) cycle so its cheaper.

its usually not a whole separate bill, its usually a line in your electricity bill.

if you have gas hot water then you are being scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raged posted:

Lolie posted:

I'm guessing that it will be over 50.

This thread is full of doomposters!!!! :tinfoil::argh:

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1413664287743037444