Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
For the benefit of the two people who saw my post yesterday, and as some anecdotal for NHS discussion, my partner is out of her surgery where they literally took out a bit of her spine to remove a growth, cleaned it and put it back in again without any nerve damage.

Just to reiterate, that there was any problem at all was only even discovered 6 days ago. It’s all a bit weird to be relived when it all happened so fast, but also praise are boyz in da NHS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glad it went well for you both.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Aidan_702 posted:

For the benefit of the two people who saw my post yesterday, and as some anecdotal for NHS discussion, my partner is out of her surgery where they literally took out a bit of her spine to remove a growth, cleaned it and put it back in again without any nerve damage.

Just to reiterate, that there was any problem at all was only even discovered 6 days ago. It’s all a bit weird to be relived when it all happened so fast, but also praise are boyz in da NHS

Happy for you both. I hope she recovers quickly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They put the growth back in? I mean I'm glad it's all sparkly clean and everything, but

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

That's gnarly. But also awesome they were able to do that. Hope she makes a full recovery!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmH7tAJ0SfA&t=497s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

You can also intervene (relatively) easily in Covid by enforcing lockdowns that are proven to work, but how would you go about managing preventable heart disease?
Not letting all the kids get Covid sounds like it might help.

Party Boat posted:

Two toes as in one per foot, like a horse?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Hey, ThomasPaine, what degree in epidemiology, biochemistry or a related field do you hold? You're eagerly discard the observations of frontline workers who are seeing this poo poo happen firsthand, but then also confidently make your own assertions about how it'll all be great - what's the basis for that?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

Got pissed with her and the rest of Chumbawumba after a gig many years ago. Quality people, and never has a band’s reality been so divorced from the popular view of them.

(Singsong and a Scrap is the best album of theirs, but they’ve done so much great stuff. But no, mention them and people just got ‘I get knocked down..’.)

Late to the party, and I'm sure they're decent folk, but their music is absolute dogshit. Sure they've done some good things with them Tubthumping royalties but having to listen to them at Leeds Festival before Iggy Pop came on in 2002 was audible torture. A ticky ticky timebomb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

450 people die a day from preventable heart disease, for 16 months doctors have been gatekeeped and hospital appointments cancelled “because of covid”. The death toll from that neglect in 2021 is going to far outstrip covid.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t treat covid seriously, but that we should as a nation have been bricking it about preventable heart disease all along.

This is where I also bring up the fact that long COVID inflicts lasting (possibly permanent) damage on your cardiopulmonary system, so that number is going to go up, up, up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Congratulations! Hope that she makes a full recovery! Keep safe!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Idk if it's worth weighing in on the "are nurses allowed have opinions" debate - but fwiw I would consider them the definitive source on what's happening on the wards (in aggregate, at least), but would probably get my epidemiological modelling elsewhere.

As a biologist, I don't seen a full escape-variant being a foregone conclusion, at least not for the mRNA vaccines. It's gonna be a bad time for hospitalisations with the VOCs we have though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lunar Suite posted:

Hey, ThomasPaine, what degree in epidemiology, biochemistry or a related field do you hold? You're eagerly discard the observations of frontline workers who are seeing this poo poo happen firsthand, but then also confidently make your own assertions about how it'll all be great - what's the basis for that?

He's been pretty open about being covid optimistic not on any particular scientific or medical basis but because it's better for his mental health

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There is no reason to expect vaccine escape, and what "long covid" is and how it relates to vaccinates is completely unknown, so anyone saying that X will or won't happen when a vaccinated person gets covid is talking with too much confidence.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There is no reason to expect vaccine escape, and what "long covid" is and how it relates to vaccinates is completely unknown, so anyone saying that X will or won't happen when a vaccinated person gets covid is talking with too much confidence.

I completely agree. Which is why a cautious approach seems sensible to me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Aidan_702 posted:

Glad it's gone ok!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Terrible news comrades

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Combining today's thread themes of football and music:
(I don't know how they decided who reached the playoffs before the quarter finals - must have been running for a while before I saw it!)

Jakabite posted:

Also if Led Zep don't win that there's no justice.
There is no justice :(

Obviously Led Zep are still the best even if you take "Euro" & "rock" out of the equation, but I'd have settled for Sabbath. wtf is wrong with people, honestly tempted to open 30 Twitter accounts and vote Maiden despite Queen being objectively better from an artistic standpoint, because who actually sits down & listens to a Queen album, seriously

Oct 4, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Terrible news comrades

There is no justice :(

Obviously Led Zep are still the best even if you take "Euro" & "rock" out of the equation, but I'd have settled for Sabbath. wtf is wrong with people, honestly tempted to open 30 Twitter accounts and vote Maiden despite Queen being objectively better from an artistic standpoint, because who actually sits down & listens to a Queen album, seriously

Maybe I haven't listened to enough Thin Lizzy, but seriously, better then Floyd?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Actually... when I was 16, my folks forced me to go on holiday with them for the last time ever. It was the hottest summer ever in the history of the UK (1976) and I spent the entire week staying in the flat they had rented in a heavy purple cardigan and jeans 'just to show them'. I had Queen's Night at the Opera on repeat loop and read Dead Souls by Gogol. On the very last day, my dad threw me in the sea fully dressed.
He bitterly regretted it as it was a 4-hour drive home with 4 teenage kids in the back of a cramped car and not only was I soaking wet but also I suffered very badly from motion sickness as a kid.
At least I never had to go on holiday with them again.
As the oldest I was always expected to be 'Deputy Parent' so I could never properly enjoy myself as I was always aware that I had to be 'a good example' (eg when we were living in Germany and in a youth hostel, all the German kids were smoking dope and I so desperately wanted to try it but I had this entourage of younger siblings following me around.)
Hmph.

I still maintain that My Dying Bride blew Iron Maiden off stage at Brixton in 1995...

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 9, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Goldskull posted:

Late to the party, and I'm sure they're decent folk, but their music is absolute dogshit. Sure they've done some good things with them Tubthumping royalties but having to listen to them at Leeds Festival before Iggy Pop came on in 2002 was audible torture. A ticky ticky timebomb.

I will literally fight you.

(Jk)

I just have a massive soft spot for them, and their acoustic stuff is absolutely fantastic. Also very very political in the best possible ways.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i also like a night at the opera and also listened to it on a loop on bholiday when I was about 16 (in oban in like 2007 I guess)

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There is no reason to expect vaccine escape,

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33743213/

quote:

Five of the 10 pseudoviruses, harboring receptor-binding domain mutations, including K417N/T, E484K, and N501Y, were highly resistant to neutralization. Cross-neutralization of B.1.351 variants was comparable to SARS-CoV and bat-derived WIV1-CoV, suggesting that a relatively small number of mutations can mediate potent escape from vaccine responses. While the clinical impact of neutralization resistance remains uncertain, these results highlight the potential for variants to escape from neutralizing humoral immunity and emphasize the need to develop broadly protective interventions against the evolving pandemic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1965917 posted:

Maybe I haven't listened to enough Thin Lizzy, but seriously, better then Floyd?

Thin Lizzy are classic rock, Floyd are prog. There is no way that audience was going to vote for proggies over Whiskey in the Jar.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1965917 posted:

Yeah

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Corbyn being investigated at the instigation of the repulsive Neil Coyle who has permanently fixated on Corbyn (why? did Corbyn shag his wife?) because he wrote

"On his entry on the register of members’ interests, Mr Corbyn said he was “likely to benefit from a legal fund” set up in October 2020 “to help meet any legal costs which I or my supporters incur in relation to allegations of defamation”."

and apparently that wasn't good enough for Coyle despite the fact that at the time the amount was unknown, whether it was possible to have the funds raised by a private individual via one of those crowdfunding platforms.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-labour-sleaze-investigation-parliament-b1880720.html

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how are you gonna do a "Euros of Rock" and not put Scorpions in there

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Corbyn being investigated at the instigation of the repulsive Neil Coyle who has permanently fixated on Corbyn (why? did Corbyn shag his wife?) because he wrote

"On his entry on the register of members’ interests, Mr Corbyn said he was “likely to benefit from a legal fund” set up in October 2020 “to help meet any legal costs which I or my supporters incur in relation to allegations of defamation”."

and apparently that wasn't good enough for Coyle despite the fact that at the time the amount was unknown, whether it was possible to have the funds raised by a private individual via one of those crowdfunding platforms.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-labour-sleaze-investigation-parliament-b1880720.html

Jessflaps ran a gofundme to pay for her election costs in 19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lunar Suite posted:

Barry Foster posted:

He's been pretty open about being covid optimistic not on any particular scientific or medical basis but because it's better for his mental health

Yes, I have been very careful to say 'this is what I think will happen, and here's why', rather than 'this will happen'. I am very aware that I might be talking out of my rear end. Listen to the experts, but make sure the people you're listening to are the experts, not anyone in scrubs.

Also I am not a scientist but fwiw I do have a phd in the history of health and medicine and have spent a lot of time analysing public health data and government policy towards various related things etc. I don't know the ins and outs of the mechanics of viruses but I like to think I know a bit about how these kind of things tend to play out and the nature of expertise amongst medical professionals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

I completely agree. Which is why a cautious approach seems sensible to me.
I agree. This article that talks to a number of different epidemiologists seems sensible. It's very unlikely to be a doomsday scenario, but very unlikely to be a beach holiday either, and we owe it not just to the immunocompromised in our own communities but to the unvaccinated around the world to make the most intelligent use of masks, distancing, and safe working over the critical next few months, and we may need a booster in late autumn.

Which makes throwing everything out of the window at once on 'freedom day' all the more idiotic.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
which one of you has infiltrated the telegraph

https://twitter.com/pidg/status/1412896628479037441

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put restrictions up and they prove to be unnecessary, you can remove them again. It is medically difficult and religiously controversial to un-kill the dead at scale.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Doccykins posted:

The goat man is the most culturally significant individual of the 21st century. Change my mind.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Borrovan posted:

because who actually sits down & listens to a Queen album, seriously

Me, regularly. Sheer Heart Attack & News of the World are loving quality. There's 3 Deep cut compilations on Spotify that are well worth a listen seeing as the average listener knows Greatest Hits I & II and that's about it.

Camrath posted:

I will literally fight you.

(Jk)

I just have a massive soft spot for them, and their acoustic stuff is absolutely fantastic. Also very very political in the best possible ways.

Like I say, I wholeheartedly agree with their political stance but goddamn if it's not baby music. I assume they bought the entirety of Armley to put to good use with them royalties.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Doccykins posted:

No ring.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1413150977159405572
stay away from other nerds for a bit you nerds

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I already avoid the warhams shop lest they take me for a mark and try to make me play.

I had enough trouble trying to talk my way out of people asking me to play magic the gathering at uni.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

A ring is a mark of ambition. Kirk Johnson alarmed me by wearing one

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Is the UK policy currently just "pray that a new variant that is more infectious, deadly and resistant to vaccines doesn't emerge (just like the last few times)"?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol the government continue to refuse to learn, when people are scared of the virus running riot they aren’t going to be going out spending whether the pubs are open or not and all they’ll end up achieving is spreading a ton more COVID

I don’t think we’re heading for an apocalyptic scenario and the vaccines are doing a great job reducing the seriousness of cases but still we should clearly be taking a step BACK in the restrictions, not eliminating them completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rabelais D posted:

Is the UK policy currently just "pray that a new variant that is more infectious, deadly and resistant to vaccines doesn't emerge (just like the last few times)"?

No, that'd involve actually thinking about something other than their pals in business making money. They just don't care.