Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Conn's of all places had a 100 card drop of EVGA bundles that weren't too bad. 3080 FTW3 Ultra with EVGA keyboard and mouse for $1199 shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There isn't anything real new and shiny coming out for at least a few more months. You can wait.

edit: though I do wonder if the fall releases will increase demand again. It still can't be worse than it is now.

I do hope we get more cards with 12 gigs of vram and a 256 bit memory bus, I just can't justify spending the money on a 3080 or 6800 tbh and you have to compromise on one depending on if you go with a 3060 ti or 6700 xt right now

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OK baizuo posted:

I do hope we get more cards with 12 gigs of vram and a 256 bit memory bus, I just can't justify spending the money on a 3080 or 6800 tbh and you have to compromise on one depending on if you go with a 3060 ti or 6700 xt right now

That is not happening unless someone starts producing those odd x times 1.5Gbit vram modules. It's either 8 or 16GB.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 8, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

OK baizuo posted:

cards with 12 gigs of vram and a 256 bit memory bus
This arrangement is impossible since nobody makes or likely will ever make 1.5 GB memory chips.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair enough, I guess I meant 256 bit bus with 16 gigs of memory then

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hemorrhage posted:

I've been following this thread for a while, trying to get a new card. Yesterday I was finally able to order one from B&H. Still showing in stock if anyone wants a 3090.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1594385-REG/asus_tuf_rtx3090_o24g_gaming_tuf_gaming_rtx_3090.html

You can also buy some absurdly priced AMD cards from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Graphic-Cards/ci/6567?filters=fct_a_filter_by%3A03_INSTOCK

While the prices are bad at least stuff is coming back in stock.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mysteryberto posted:

You can also buy some absurdly priced AMD cards from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Graphic-Cards/ci/6567?filters=fct_a_filter_by%3A03_INSTOCK

While the prices are bad at least stuff is coming back in stock.

It's hard to be happy about stuff "coming back in stock" when it's literally more than ebay prices.

A TON of brand new 6700 XT reference cards are on ebay for similar prices by the way. Not sure where those are coming from. With stores like B&H Photo, I imagine that cards aren't coming back in stock at higher numbers than before, but they're simply raising the prices to unacceptable levels and people aren't buying them.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Besides not having a video out, are Nvidia CMP cards hobbled in any other ways? Theoretically when they're usless for mining and cheap, could they be used for virtual machine remote gaming?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they're hobbled in software too i think, i don't think geforce will install with them as is? i remember they needed to get fucky drivers to get it going in the last mining craze.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
You can now find 3080s for a modest two thousand canadian beaverbucks on eBay now. Hallefuckinglujah.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
3080s are 1000 on UK ebay too. Getting there...

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Glad I do a bunch of CAD for work so I can just talk myself into like an A4000 and an Accelero cooler :shepspends:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Maybe FSR will help give us a little juice in the tank in our standoff against the retailers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

KinkyJohn posted:

Maybe FSR will help give us a little juice in the tank in our standoff against the retailers.

Legit question, how long do people expect this game of chicken go on for? Are we basically waiting for the retailers to realize they cant move cards until they go to MSRP and decide to eat the loss, or is there more to it?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's collective action, it's people saying to themselves, "I want to upgrade my poo poo, or play new games at good frame rates, unfortunately it is difficult to justify paying historically high prices. Perhaps this new technology will allow me to wait."

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Triikan posted:

Besides not having a video out, are Nvidia CMP cards hobbled in any other ways? Theoretically when they're usless for mining and cheap, could they be used for virtual machine remote gaming?

Or at least like, cheap machine learning stuff?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KinkyJohn posted:

FSR really needs to be turned on for WAY more games if it's going to do that. Right now either it's on a game that nobody is playing, or it's on a game that's so easy to run that it doesn't matter.

"AMD announces FSR to be added to World of Warcraft Classic and Europa Universalis III"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

FSR really needs to be turned on for WAY more games if it's going to do that. Right now either it's on a game that nobody is playing, or it's on a game that's so easy to run that it doesn't matter.

"AMD announces FSR to be added to World of Warcraft Classic and Europa Universalis III"

Well it’s “open source” and doesn’t require a specific card(s) that very few people have so I could see it becoming adopted pretty quickly.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Glad I do a bunch of CAD for work so I can just talk myself into like an A4000 and an Accelero cooler :shepspends:

I just looked into these, they're basically a 3070ti at 140w and single slot yeah? I wonder how they perform compared to a full power card. At MSRP they're around what you'd be paying for a 3070ti anyway here :hmmyes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Well it’s “open source” and doesn’t require a specific card(s) that very few people have so I could see it becoming adopted pretty quickly.

I just hope they call up Epic and offer them a billion dollars or whatever to poach UE4/5's temporal upscaling algo and open source that as FSR 2.0.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The nice thing about Unreal is the source is publicly readable, it's not Open Source but anyone can peek under the hood and borrow their ideas for their own implemenation

Everyone copying TSR would just be history repeating itself, as Epic came up with most of the popular TAA heuristics for UE4 which were widely copied

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Supply is definitely getting better, after 4 months of trying I got a reference 6700 XT for MSRP from amd direct. Well "got" in the theoretical future tense at least, it hasn't arrived yet but i've got a charge on my card for $515. Their website is still a dumpster fire but if you use the add to cart fix script and pay attention to stock trackers on thursday mornings you can probably score. This morning all the CPUs but the 5900x were listed as in-stock, so the CPU shortage is basically over. I got my card at 10:23am EST, a full 8 minutes after the 10:15am drop, and a few people scored after me. Had I been faster on the draw I could have picked up a 6800 xt midnight black and I'll try for that next week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/o23jgh/amd_direct_buying_guide_how_to_actually_get_a_gpu/

Double check me here, but
threadripper 2920x: 180w
Sapphire nitro+ RX 580: 240w
Reference RX6700 xt: 220w

so absolute worst case if I'm running furmark on both cards + prime95 is 640 watts, and I have a NZXT C850 power supply. From the wall I'm measuring 400-450w running 3dmark timespy on the RX 580 which seems to match up. I shouldn't need to upgrade this PSU, right? (Less than 6 months old, my "silent" EVGA kept ramping the fan up and down so I retired it)

Harik fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 9, 2021

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Been on the wait list for a step up 3080 since October (which I'm not complaining about, I knew I was getting into a long wait) but the card I'll be recieving has been changed to a LHR model.

Are they telling the truth that the only difference is that it's worse at crypto (which is fine by me) and also what would motivate them to kneecap these new cards if their #1 priority is to like, sell cards full stop? Can't imagine it's out of the goodness of their hearts for gamers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rookoo posted:

Been on the wait list for a step up 3080 since October (which I'm not complaining about, I knew I was getting into a long wait) but the card I'll be recieving has been changed to a LHR model.

Are they telling the truth that the only difference is that it's worse at crypto (which is fine by me) and also what would motivate them to kneecap these new cards if their #1 priority is to like, sell cards full stop? Can't imagine it's out of the goodness of their hearts for gamers.

They make a line of cards specifically for miners in which Nvidia have a higher profit margin on.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it might impact resale value a little but who knows, could be totally irrelevant by the time you sell up.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rookoo posted:

they're doing it so when the inevitible crypto crash hits, the mining cards go to e-waste, not ebay. stops them from competing with new consumer gpus.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Has anyone explored what you can use those mining cards for besides mining? Do they work with offline renderers like Octane/Redshift?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The old mining cards - repurposed 1050s (or was it 1060s?), needed a lot of elbow-grease to get working: you'd have to use a hacked driver to force Windows to emulate a laptop doing display pass-through, so that the output of the mining card would go through the motherboard's display port (as though you were using an integrated GPU). And I think this only worked if you actually had a CPU with an iGPU.

This meant you couldn't play with any online games with a cheat detector because your driver would be unsigned.

And NVidia stopped upgrading the drivers for those cards anyway, so they're not likely to work with today's games even if you get it to work

___

I don't know if there's any possibility of using them via VM, but in any case, there's very little utility to try, because the mining cards are going to be more expensive than the equivalent gaming/LHR card. By the time any kind of mining crash makes these things hit the used market, it'd already have also likely caused enough regular-rear end gaming cards to be sold off that you'd almost assuredly be better off getting one of those (or a brand-new card, assuming a drop in retail price to respond to the second-hand market getting some kind of glut).

Rookoo posted:

The 3080Ti and 3070Ti cards, which are LHR, but are not explicitly branded as LHR because there was no "non-LHR" versions of these cards that needed distinguishing from, performed exactly as they were expected, gaming and productivity-wise.

Mind you, the LHR cards are (AFAIK) not even "worse at crypto" - they're only worse at Ethereum mining specifically. This is because bitcoin is only ever mined nowadays with ASICs, and there are no "altcoins" out there that are valuable enough to be worth mining over besides Ethereum.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rookoo posted:

Nvidia also wants game developers to implement their fancy (exclusive) features, and doesn't want their reputation dragged through the mud due to the shortage. Doubly so since Intel is gearing up to launch their own higher end dGPUs targeted at gaming and general purpose GPU work.

The miners have absolutely zero brand loyalty and can easily port their algorithms over to other chipsets if they so desire. They are a great sink for chips right now but not worth burning a decade of goodwill and letting a very strongly positioned competitor get a foothold in you main markets.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Plus, I remember some person (maybe my uncle at Nintendo) saying that gamers will always be a market, and losing a bit of brand loyalty is not worth pissing off forever-customers in favor of Etherium miners who promise to go Proof of Stake (coming soon!) any day now (lmao, right).

Especially because consumers have AMD and very soon Intel to compete against. Brand loyalty can only be abused so far.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think it was paul who observed that their strategic actions make total sense if you assume they don't view mining sales as sales, just a very delayed middleman. a gaming consumer is going to use their product for what, on average 3-5 years, and then maybe sell up. crypto mining is infinitely more volatile than that and goes through known boom and bust cycles and the second the bust hits all those cards are more or less immediately resold - much, much quicker.

similarly mining demand during a boom is kind of inelastic - if you're buying a money printing machine you're a hell of a lot more willing to pay a significant price premium than someone using the equipment as the manufacturer intended. a miner is adding in resale cost in their ROI - they don't care if GPUs are 100 dollars or a 1000, within reason, so long as they can reasonably expect to recoup most of their cost. other users do not have this luxury!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
with the mining only cards, resale will be functionally impossible. miners will offload to buy the next thing and users cannot use them so into the trash they go. this limits the ROI and impact for the secondary market on the new release of hardware

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have we talked about the Godzilla 3070

https://twitter.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1413487302194647045?s=21

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That seems pretty low effort on the AIB maker's part, or maybe the waifu card just set the bar too high.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it better make the godzilla roar when it boots up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’d better smell like Godzilla.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Been playing GTAV with FSR - it is extremely loving cool. Ultra quality is almost impossible to tell apart from native at 4k, yet runs noticeably faster. A clever guy managed to port it over so that the game's resolution scaler uses it.

It's on github and the author actively works on it. https://github.com/NarutoUA/gta5_fsr

Goes without saying: don't use this for GTA Online, it might trip up anti-cheat

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's especially impressive work considering AMD hasn't actually released the FSR source code yet, they had to yoink the shader bytecode from one of the games that shipped FSR officially

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ShopBLT order just went through, shipping today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Goes without saying: don't use this for GTA Online, it might trip up anti-cheat

Not being cheeky but does Rockstar even monitor for that anymore? Last I played there was a bunch of cheating(??)/modding going on in a regular lobby. Or maybe rockstar gave up on the cat and mouse game and moved on.