Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

MasterBuilder posted:

Does anyone have ink recommendations? For brush painting initially but maybe trying out with one of those battery powered air brushes.

Daler Rowney and Liquitex are the standard I think. Scale Color inks are ok if you have a paint mixer, they tend to separate and can be a huge pain to mix back into place. P3 inks are also pretty solid, basically more transparent versions of the artist inks (daler rowney/liquitex) but you get very little for what you pay in comparison to artist inks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's your favorite metallic paints? I picked up a little bit of Vallejo metallic medium and I guess I'll see how that works out. Oh, and favorite fluorescent paints?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I prefer liquitex inks if only because they airbrush flat and evenly without beading for me. I think scale 75 inks are the worst I own.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's your favorite metallic paints? I picked up a little bit of Vallejo metallic medium and I guess I'll see how that works out. Oh, and favorite fluorescent paints?

I enjoy warcolor, but they're a very different kind of paint, and lots of people aren't a fan tbf - they're super transparent, dry slow, and gel based.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Thanks I'll check around the local art stores to see what's available

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vallejo Metal Color at the absolute best true metallic paints available right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Vallejo Metal Color at the absolute best true metallic paints available right now.

Yep, agree with this.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Besides figuring out the right formula of ink/thinner/flow improver, is there any downside to using inks vs washes? My understanding is that, washes are basically inks "ready to use", you just slap them on and It Just Works. A bit like "airbrush ready" paints vs regular paints. I understand inks have other uses too of course, I'm asking specifically when you want to use them for washes.

Is there any other upside or downside to inks vs washes? In other words, if I have black ink and Nuln Oil, should I just finish my bottle of Nuln Oil and after that just make my own washes from ink?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the man himself, our painting lord and saviour double v, just released a video comparing steel effect metal paints and vallejo metal colour is so far ahead of the rest of the pack it’s kinda remarkable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmFhmliPEL8

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vallejo Metal Color or Scale 75 are great for metallics. If you combine the two they create the (imo) perfect metallic paint. I've heard great things about Green Stuff World's pure metal pigments too.

As for fluorescents, the best I've used are Golden High Flow Acrylics.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't been able to find Metal Color near me but I picked up some Vallejo Game Air metallics and they're heads and shoulders above the normal Model/Game Color metallics. Goes on great with a brush too, so don't worry about the airbrush part.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Furism posted:

Besides figuring out the right formula of ink/thinner/flow improver, is there any downside to using inks vs washes? My understanding is that, washes are basically inks "ready to use", you just slap them on and It Just Works. A bit like "airbrush ready" paints vs regular paints. I understand inks have other uses too of course, I'm asking specifically when you want to use them for washes.

Is there any other upside or downside to inks vs washes? In other words, if I have black ink and Nuln Oil, should I just finish my bottle of Nuln Oil and after that just make my own washes from ink?

Inks and washes are not the same thing. Inks are pure pigment, washes are diluted pigment with a surfactant to make it flow.
If you have ink, you can cheaply make massive quantities of wash with it, you just need some flow improver, water and/or acrylic medium.

There's lots of recipes online, here's one that uses Future floor wax as the medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3aIAth5qU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bucnasti posted:

Inks and washes are not the same thing. Inks are pure pigment, washes are diluted pigment with a surfactant to make it flow.
If you have ink, you can cheaply make massive quantities of wash with it, you just need some flow improver, water and/or acrylic medium.

Yes I absolutely understand that. What I meant was, once you nail down an ink-based wash recipe you like, is there any reason to use washes over that "custom" wash?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Furism posted:

Yes I absolutely understand that. What I meant was, once you nail down an ink-based wash recipe you like, is there any reason to use washes over that "custom" wash?

Not really.

I still use a few pre-made washes just for color consistency sake, but if you can get a recipe that you're happy with then don't look back.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Furism posted:

The main reason I've seen is color/tone matching. The common washes like Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil are two very specific colors that work for many things, but aren't designed perfectly for certain edge cases. Custom washes allow you to get the exact shade you want or would best shade your base layer.

That being said, I often just go with the regular washes because it's good enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're painting terrain it's much more cost effective to make your own washes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're painting terrain it's much more cost effective to make your own washes.
Yes, and at that point you're probably better off going with oils.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A couple of months ago I picked up the Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl metallics set and I've never looked back.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Chewbacca posted:

A couple of months ago I picked up the Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl metallics set and I've never looked back.

Same here. I really like them. I also still like Gunmetal from Army Painter though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Metallic medium is crap and won't work how you hope it will, just as an unfortunate heads-up.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vallejo Metal Color is the undisputed best, at least for silvers, they really need to expand the selection of golds though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cinara posted:

Vallejo Metal Color is the undisputed best, at least for silvers, they really need to expand the selection of golds though.

Yeah VMC Is the best by far for white metals like silver, steel, gunmetal, aluminum and all the colors in between, but their gold is kinda crap and I haven't been able to find copper for sale anywhere and they don't make any other yellow metals like bronze.
I'm pretty happy with Pro-acryl metallics for my bronze, copper and golds.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I have been super happy with both Pro-Acryl and Scale75 golds/etc, though I do really want to try the GSW metallic pigments after seeing Vince rave about how good they were.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Mr Metal Color, from Gunze. They go on great with brush or airbrush, plus you can buff them once they're dry to bring up the shine even more.

These were some air tanks I did a while back, and this was with a brush and quick buff after. Usually you'd have to airbrush to get metallics this nice.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmFhmliPEL8

Vince's completely unscientific showdown resulted in VMC coming out on top.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

I haven't been able to find Metal Color near me but I picked up some Vallejo Game Air metallics and they're heads and shoulders above the normal Model/Game Color metallics. Goes on great with a brush too, so don't worry about the airbrush part.

Vallejo metal color claims it's for airbrush but it works great brushed on. It does not dry quite as glossy as some other brands and I think it's meant to have a gloss or satin coat over it. If you have an airbrush, the Liquitex Iridescent Rich Copper is absolutely beautiful over a gloss black prime.

The liquitex inks in general are great for 'punching up' a color. I've gotten some super saturated yellows and reds and opaque whites by mixing a drop of ink into my paint on the palette. One drop ink to two-three drops of paint seems to thin it down just right.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cinara posted:

Just tint the gold with some ink, easy peasy

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I painted some rust bois

And my first "standard" skin attempt:

I'm not entirely happy with it but I think it's okay for a first try.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, I just encountered a new failure mode.

I grabbed a bottle of Vallejo to paint with, started shacking it and suddenly felt... Wetness on my hands and....

I somehow managed to get away with just a few drops on my cutting mat and the rest seemed to end up on my hand and the bottle.

But still, uh... WHAT.

EDIT: GOD loving-

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 10, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah VMC Is the best by far for white metals like silver, steel, gunmetal, aluminum and all the colors in between, but their gold is kinda crap and I haven't been able to find copper for sale anywhere and they don't make any other yellow metals like bronze.
I'm pretty happy with Pro-acryl metallics for my bronze, copper and golds.

Yes, but the real answer is Vallejo metallic air. Fantastic in an airbrush, but their silver has insane coverage just with a brush.

Haven't found anything that remotely compares to it

Print this yourself or did you grab it online? I've been cranking out a ton of this guy lately

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 10, 2021

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Does anyone have a good source of bottles with eyedropper lids? Squeeze bottle lids get clogged so easily and are a pain to clean, and I hate using GW paint pots. I just want to pull a controlled amount of paint out of a container and put it into my airbrush or onto a wet palette. There are a bunch of "tincture" bottles on Amazon, but they are all glass which seems a bit over the top for storing acrylic paints.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Print this yourself or did you grab it online? I've been cranking out a ton of this guy lately

LOL, I bought it off your Etsy store, buddy!

I might buy another one too. I started painting him, disliked it, so I tossed him in the jewelry cleaner with some Simple Green and when I primed him again, noticed a bunch of microfractures. I had the same thing happen with a Heroforge mini so apparently 3D printer resin dislikes either Simple Green or my jewelry cleaner.

This time around, I got him just soaking in some diluted Simple Green, so we'll see how that goes. But you might have one more to print out soon if it goes poorly!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xposting from 40k

ro5s posted:

More troopers done and a chimera, because walking is for nerds.

Plus :commissar: 3 commanders and :psyduck:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

chin up everything sucks posted:

Does anyone have a good source of bottles with eyedropper lids? Squeeze bottle lids get clogged so easily and are a pain to clean, and I hate using GW paint pots. I just want to pull a controlled amount of paint out of a container and put it into my airbrush or onto a wet palette. There are a bunch of "tincture" bottles on Amazon, but they are all glass which seems a bit over the top for storing acrylic paints.

This should take care of you, but you'd need to label them.
This one will be better if you need to see inside and don't mind the glass dropper.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Been painting some freeguild dudes.

Lots of personality in these fellas. Little renaissance era beards and moustaches are so fun. Gonna want to see some more close ups of that zweihander guy for sure

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Stealing this from Reddit:

I love this look for tribal tattooed Orkz, but I have no idea how they can get such crisp free-hand on a rounded surface.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Desfore posted:

Stealing this from Reddit:

I love this look for tribal tattooed Orkz, but I have no idea how they can get such crisp free-hand on a rounded surface.

I cant do it either, but last time tattoos came up someone very helpfully linked this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0K3ReBIzR0

Long story short; Mix ink (blue/black), paint (your main skin tone) and flow improver, use a sharp tipped brush with a decent belly, sketch out the design on paper beforehand (or have a good reference photo), have extremely high levels of brush control, break it up into lines and small shapes and do a piece at a time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah inks are really key for that, higher opacity and slightly longer drying time make an enormous difference for fiddly stuff.

I've seen a lot of people use Tamiya masking tape / liquid for that sort of thing too - makes blocking in straight lines basically foolproof even on curved surfaces.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Starting to improve - actually quite happy with how this ghoul came out. I actually used a whole bunch of techniques I've been practicing on my other minis up until now, and used them well for the most part, especially the back of the cape/hide and the eyes (although hard to tell on the eyes with the pictures). I even tried a technique to make the weapon look poisoned which I think worked out.

Feels really good making progress from where I started a couple of weeks ago

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Painted up this 1984 citadel skeleton over the weekend.

This guy is pre-slotta and has his name inscribed on the integral lead base. It’s fun so I left it showing through the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
What's the go to matte varnish these days? I can't find testors anywhere, and the bottle of Vallejo Mecha Matte I've been using as brush on goes through my airbrush with the ease of Elmer's glue so nope on that.

I'll take anything acrylic I can put through an airbrush or anything out of a rattle can that won't mess up colors or turn things shiny.