Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I thought Andrade looked like an absolute killer in his debut match. The Black Mask-esque getup really added to his character's big boss at the end of the game/movie vibe. Dude also had some killer moves that the crowd ate up so much that I felt bad for Sydal cause they just didn't care for him at all in that match.

It was ultimately meant to be a showcase for Andrade so it might be best the crowd wasn't especially into Sydal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess people are entitled to their opinions, but I'm also I'm pretty sure that nobody on these forums knows how to get over better than the guy who taught goddamn Tetsuya Naito the ways of Tranquilo.

Also Ex is absolutely the kind of guy who would follow insta accounts of random weirdoes.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, some people were kinda worried that Britt might be looking to jump to the WWE at some point in the future. Well, I don't think they have to be worried after that promo anymore, because that bridge is only slightly more burned than Vince was.

People who thought that should read any interview Britt’s given over the last year, she’s effusive over AEW and how important maintaining her dental practice is to her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of Tranquilo, Andrade absolutely did the lay in the middle of the ring all casual like thing at one point and all the cameras seemed to go out of their way to miss it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

People who thought that should read any interview Britt’s given over the last year, she’s effusive over AEW and how important maintaining her dental practice is to her.

In general I don't think we have to worry about people jumping from AEW to the WWE. One is by all accounts a good place to work with owners who understand that there's a world beyond their front door and who are willing to work with you to find out what kind of routine is best for you.

And the other is a horrible Trumpian hellscape led by a senile old man and his tight-knit group of hangers-on and slightly less/more Trumpian family members, which has burned a large percentage of your current coworkers, who are very willing to tell you just how awful it can be up north.

When it gets really interesting is after Vince kicks the bucket / kicked out of the door and someone with more sense takes over and starts running the company like, you know, a company instead of a carny sideshow.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It seems more and more likely that the people who are gearing up to take charge are gonna look to cut the product to the bone and sell it to the highest bidder.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Am i the only person that thought JR seemed more lively and less cantankerous last Wednesday? I know there are some here who do not like him anymore, but I think he's the kind of dude who likes being on the road and feeling the crowd and it showed. That and air conditioning probably helped too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

enigmahfc posted:

Am i the only person that thought JR seemed more lively and less cantankerous last Wednesday? I know there are some here who do not like him anymore, but I think he's the kind of dude who likes being on the road and feeling the crowd and it showed. That and air conditioning probably helped too.

JR's grumpyness ebbed and flowed even in Jacksonville.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In general I don't think we have to worry about people jumping from AEW to the WWE

Someone will eventually jump over to take the pay cheque but I doubt it'll be anyone too essential

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BOOK IT TONY

https://twitter.com/madking1981/status/1413500072030085120?s=21

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Any AEW wrestler considering jumping should look at how Ben Carter has been used first. The guy went from being one of the most buzz worthy wrestlers to emerge in the pandemic era to a jobber on the UK show that no one watches.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Someone will eventually jump over to take the pay cheque but I doubt it'll be anyone too essential

It'll be Zicky Dice.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

It'll be Zicky Dice.

Not gonna lie, kinda want to see a Zicky Dice & Rick Boogz team up

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Any AEW wrestler considering jumping should look at how Ben Carter has been used first. The guy went from being one of the most buzz worthy wrestlers to emerge in the pandemic era to a jobber on the UK show that no one watches.

ben carter had literally no other options, since he couldn't sign a contract in the US legally. not saying wwe wouldn't misuse or outright punish people who worked in aew first, but he's kind of an outlier in a few ways

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah Ben made what was likely the best short-term decision available to him at the time. Long-term...lol, but given circumstances I don't blame him for it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bet Shanna shows up in WWE doing an "immigrant who did it the RIGHT way" gimmick.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

enigmahfc posted:

Yes! My theory is that any show starting at 8 or 9 is past JR's bedtime. Especially on the Saturday Dynamites the dude seemed more cranky than a wet hen (so to speak).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am reading that only 2,000 tickets are going up today for All Out at the general sale? Or are people just making that poo poo up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think that was from people doing the math about sales vs. capacity but I don't know that it's anything official.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Astro7x posted:

I am reading that only 2,000 tickets are going up today for All Out at the general sale? Or are people just making that poo poo up.

I think they sold the rest already.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I actually completely forgot who ben carter was or why we were so mad when that guy showed up at wwe lol.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Sure, but as you say, I don't think it will be anyone most people care too much about. With the possible exception of some cult favourite like Fuego who they might sign out of spite to sit in catering just so AEW can't have them.

I can't see anyone that's regularly on programming getting a better deal in the WWE, with the possible exception of megastars like Kenny Omega, who probably don't want to sign with them for non-monetary reasons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sure, but as you say, I don't think it will be anyone most people care too much about. With the possible exception of some cult favourite like Fuego who they might sign out of spite.

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Astro7x posted:

they did a presale yesterday so depending on how many tickets were available for that yes it's possible that only 2000 or so were held back for the general sale

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A good chunk of the AEW roster are Performance Center washouts (from Luchasaurus to Tay Conti to Aubrey) with nothing but horror stories to say about it

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Fuego's got three kids to feed, secure the bag, Fuego.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WWE is going to drive a dump truck full of money up to people like Hangman, Darby, Jungle Boy, Britt, and Orange Cassidy. I don't foresee anybody signing unless there's some major change at WWE, it seems like the last few rounds of releases have really soured a lot of talent on working for WWE.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

A good chunk of the AEW roster are Performance Center washouts (from Luchasaurus to Tay Conti to Aubrey) with nothing but horror stories to say about it

Don't forget Kenny. Although it might have still been FCW then.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Can you imagine how WWE would write Orange Cassidy?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I honestly don’t think WWE wants anyone from AEW. They’d never see the value in most of those guys. It’s not like signing massively talented people and ruining them is a new thing for WWE they did that with pretty much every ECW star, even those that got over were missing the magic of their ECW characters looking back most of us were kids or teens so we didn’t know how good someone like RVD or Tajiri really was.

It seems their focus right now is still just the brand over individuality and they’re going to push brand loyal types.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I bet Shanna shows up in WWE doing an "immigrant who did it the ALT RIGHT way" gimmick.

:haw:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
goddamnit, trying to buy Combo tickets for all out on the Ticketmaster app, and it won't let me purchse them... any advice?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Don't forget Kenny. Although it might have still been FCW then.

Kenny was Deep South.

Drakkel posted:

Can you imagine how WWE would write Orange Cassidy?

"I like this Juicy Cameron kid, Corey, he just loves to have fun!"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

I honestly don’t think WWE wants anyone from AEW. They’d never see the value in most of those guys. It’s not like signing massively talented people and ruining them is a new thing for WWE they did that with pretty much every ECW star, even those that got over were missing the magic of their ECW characters looking back most of us were kids or teens so we didn’t know how good someone like RVD or Tajiri really was.

It seems their focus right now is still just the brand over individuality and they’re going to push brand loyal types.

WWE may not know what to do with them but they definitely see the value AEW sees in them. Starks, Hobbs, and Eddie Kingston all got calls after their appearances on AEW, and it's hard to imagine Kingston getting as popular over there. The Good Brothers got a very generous contact because WWE knew the bucks wanted them for AEW.
But for the moment they value keeping their own expenses down over locking up talent who could draw money for other companies.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 9, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

A Fancy Hat posted:

WWE is going to drive a dump truck full of money up to people like Hangman, Darby, Jungle Boy, Britt, and Orange Cassidy. I don't foresee anybody signing unless there's some major change at WWE, it seems like the last few rounds of releases have really soured a lot of talent on working for WWE.

WWE has some sort of weird hypnotism over gullible wrestlers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

All Out more like Sold Out :smith: Not even the secondary market at this point.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

WWE may not know what to do with them but they definitely see the value AEW sees in them. Starks, Hobbs, and Eddie Kingston all got calls after their appearances on AEW, and it's hard to imagine Kingston getting as popular over there. The Good Brothers got a very generous contact because WWE knew the bucks wanted them for AEW.
But for the moment they value keeping their own expenses down over locking up talent who could draw money for other companies.

I think in the Nick Khan era we're liable to see a lot less spite-hirings, as the person with most control over the purse strings over than Vince is actually looking at business rather than brinkmanship.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I don't think the WWE would have any interest in Darby or Jungle Boy on the open market due to their size not fitting well with what the current vision for their product is right now. They'd probably like to have Britt but yeah she likes being able to run her dental practice so her AEW deal is probably too good of a fit. Hangman honestly seems like the only person they'd take a serious run at in that list.

But it also seems like the WWE is done doing any major hiring at this point with all the cuts.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Never underestimate WWE's ability to convince people that things'll be different for them, not like the 800 other people they signed and did nothing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

No, this is building for Eddie Kingston's tour of DDT.