Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I love dogs. Other people may not. I also concede that they stink and will piss/poo poo on things. Just doesn't seem like a good thing in large amounts in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

gently caress bringing your animals to work.

But then you'd be stuck in the kennel all day?

This lil fella is a good WFH buddy, until he gets bored :v:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Bring Pugs in to offices so they can snore on call bridges for you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

aaronp posted:

In regards to docking stations, we used to use them but in preparation for our offices reopening this year I pulled the trigger and replaced every one of our monitors with USB-C models, so we no longer bother with docks. It's fantastic.
[/quote[]

Holy poo poo I need to investigate that option. Both our Dells and our Lenovos have moved to USB-C docks, of course, and that could potentially save so $$, or at least frustration. I hate the Dell docks (and am getting less impressed with the Dell machines lately...)

[quote[
Definitely will have to account for lead time. Everything we order on the Windows side is 4-6 weeks out, and we get both Lenovo and Microsoft for laptops. Really hoping that gets better soon, it's a PITA.

We can't get Lenovo hardly at all. I don't know if it's us, Lenovo, or our supplier pissed off Lenovo. I gotten maybe a dozen Lenovos since they brought out the new T14 and 8th Gen (?) X1C.

The supply chain issues don't stop managers and HR hiring assholes on 1 week or less notice, of course. Folks, even the 2 weeks we used to request isn't enough any more. Sorry about your new hire getting a crappy 3-year-old loaner.

devmd01 posted:

every day is bring your dog to work day when you wfh

:thumbsup:

edit:
This is how Bear helps em work:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I would buy a rumba.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also if dogs at work became normalized all cat owners should get private offices and be allowed to bring their cats in too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just got an urgent email from our general counsel because somehow he smashed one of his LCDs with his TV remote. During a Zoom call.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Just got an urgent email from our general counsel because somehow he smashed one of his LCDs with his TV remote. During a Zoom call.

lol

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Tell him he should make sure that the wii remote wrist strap is tightened and to hold it securely next time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I love dogs. Other people may not. I also concede that they stink and will piss/poo poo on things. Just doesn't seem like a good thing in large amounts in the office.

I used to work at a startup that had a dog frequently there. One of the sales guys (not even an owner/partner, just salesman) would bring his Corgi in every day. It would steal things from your desk and hide them. It was rather disruptive I think the problem is that if one guy brings a dog, then everyone needs to be able to. I have a medium sized brown dog, she just sleeps under my desk all day but I imagine maybe having four dogs in the office is a problem.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a medium sized brown dog,

I would be very unhappy working in a dog office unless I got a private office for my cat and could avoid interacting with the dogs always, but I do like the contrast you presented here, where someone else has a corgi but your breed of dog is 'medium brown'.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

I would be very unhappy working in a dog office unless I got a private office for my cat and could avoid interacting with the dogs always, but I do like the contrast you presented here, where someone else has a corgi but your breed of dog is 'medium brown'.

Allow me to introduce you to the prestigious breed, the American Brown Dog:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So we just got a dog from a rescue, and we looked for months before settling on this girl:

She's really chill, and loves our little kids. She doesn't bark and is very good natured. We've had her for about two months.

Curious what breed she is, the rescue thinks she's part Australian Shepard, but I figure I'd throw it out there if anyone had a better idea.

Pet Island Response:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Got yerself an American Browndog. I'm not sure why they thought aussie because she doesn't look anything like an aussie and if she's chill and loves little kids probably doesn't act anything like an aussie either. It's really hard to say with generic browndogs like that because they're usually a mix of a bunch of different things. She's a cute girlie and I'm glad she's working out for you though :3:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone use Cohesity? How can I make it so it's not horrible? I feel like I have to bounce around to 30 different views to see what's being backed up, let alone how to adjust configurations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Had a security incident today, 20x normal traffic, fuzzing and hammering auth endpoints.

Scrambled to respond, broke a feature, accomplished nothing and the attackers went away on their own :negative:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Offense works

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why tf are faxes still a thing and why tf can't the IT director correctly punch down a two wire POTS line on a 66 block and save me an hour or two of troubleshooting? :iiam:

He's actually a cool guy and good boss it was just funny when later he said "yeah, it did feel kind of loose"

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 9, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

regulargonzalez posted:

Why tf are faxes still a thing and why tf can't the IT director correctly punch down a two wire POTS line on a 66 block and save me an hour or two of troubleshooting? :iiam:

He's actually a cool guy and good boss it was just funny when later he said "yeah, it did feel kind of loose"

Faxes are still a thing because of HIPAA and other similar things that require compliance. Lots of law offices still use them, but eFax solutions are definitely the better option than some "managed" software that connects to the big scanners in the office to use the fax line(s).

I'm surprised the IT director is able to punch down anything, in any organization. I'm a senior network engineer and I couldn't do so without looking up the standards and trying a few practice runs first.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing I'm punching these days is jr engineers asking me to punch down something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I learned how to do punch downs when I started, and could probably still do it, but I'm really not surprised to hear anyone in IT, let alone a director, doesn't know how. I really don't think it's a widely-used skill these days. Kind of like making cables.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm colorblind, so I always felt people using it as a badge of honor was annoying in the first place.

Ohhhh, look at me, I can shove a couple of wires in a hole and then use as tool on it. What talent. gently caress off with your functioning cones.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Hey now, I'm the IT director at my company and I sometimes still happily punch down cables and (very rarely) crimp some cables. But yeah, isn't something you do much these days, usually it's just contracted out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I learned how to do punch downs when I started, and could probably still do it, but I'm really not surprised to hear anyone in IT, let alone a director, doesn't know how. I really don't think it's a widely-used skill these days. Kind of like making cables.

Same, but not 66 blocks. I've only ever done 110s when stringing new or updated wiring. I had a neat tool that would pop down and cut the ends off all 8 strands at once on the patch panel (you could also get ones with a 5 pair head). Still had to use the single strand tool on ports on the floor.

I'm glad I learned how, but I'm even more glad I haven't had to do it in the last 20 years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spoke with someone today who has an office of about 20 people and their way of doing internet failover is to have two entirely separate ISPs, two firewalls, two switches, and then run two cables to each desktop. If the primary internet service goes down the staff are instructed to unplug one cable and plug the other one in.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
what

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Patching yourself into the backup network all the time to get the full bandwidth to yourself ftw

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Thanks Ants posted:

Spoke with someone today who has an office of about 20 people and their way of doing internet failover is to have two entirely separate ISPs, two firewalls, two switches, and then run two cables to each desktop. If the primary internet service goes down the staff are instructed to unplug one cable and plug the other one in.

I would ask them if they enabled the back flow prevention on both routers to avoid the overflow internet leaking into the other circuit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone really likes running cables and having twice the switches, but is also terrified of basic firewall configuration. A true dilemma.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought that this was the plan for any office of 20 people that was smart enough to have two ISPs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
smart enough to have two ISPs, not smart enough to actually setup proper network redundancy.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Are you recreating a ticketing system in Excel? That's less than ideal. Can you go into a little more detail about what you're tracking and how?

If you already have a ticket system and your to-dos can fit in that framework, it probably makes sense to use it. If you are trying to do something like project management, there may be better tools.

What are you trying to do?

I just need something other than Word, Excel, or Outlook for managing my tasks, especially because inevitably I go to do a task and find three prerequisites; I'd like to be able to organize that without doing a whole lot of copy/paste poo poo.

I don't really need a ticketing system for user service at the moment, for one because the folks here know I have no IT background and don't trust me at all*, for two because if they have an issue they just come find me. I don't think the owner would play ball with me instituting a ticket system either, he might see it as petty). I only mentioned it because I'd heard some of y'all use your ticketing systems for tracking task completion. I suspected I might be barking up the wrong tree so I asked here.

*(I had to argue with a user to get his MAC address yesterday, because he read on the internet you shouldn't give your MAC address to anyone if it's being used in a MAC whitelist... he did not recognize that the IT guy setting up the filter is excluded from this rule...)**

**Yes I know MAC Whitelisting is dumb but it's what the boss wants and it's not a battle I want to fight right now

Internet Explorer posted:

There's free ticketing solutions out there, FreshDesk free tier might be worth a try. If you're looking for a bunch of ITSM tools in one, and have nothing today, you could probably do worse than a starter plan of FreshService, which is their full ITSM suite and not just ticketing. FreshService has some project management tools built in, otherwise you can check out something like Trello/Planner/Azure DevOps.

Asset management... avoid doing it until you have a real need for it.

Documentation, if you have nothing today, maybe start in OneNote. If it's in SharePoint or a Team, it can be used collaboratively.

[edit: Also get yourself a password manager ASAP. Share passwords with IT folks, use secure passwords, and come up with a plan of what happens if a business person needs to access that stuff if you get hit by a bus.]

Thanks, I'll take a look at those solutions. I don't need collaboration because I'm "it" as far as IT is concerned, but I do want to ensure I start good documentation habits now.

I only mentioned asset management because of all the ancient hard drives propping this place up.

I've got Dashlane for passwords right now, I still need to share login info with the owner and the outgoing "IT Guy." However, in previous conversations he's made it clear he's super wary of password managers, so like, I dunno that I'd be doing any good for my own reputation right now until I've established myself as an "expert".

scott zoloft posted:

Project tracking (aka big to-do list with sub to-dos) - Microsoft Project is decent for this. Can also accomplish the same thing with excel and a gant chart template or some poo poo.

Ticket / request tracking - i use osticket for both helpdesk ticket and system change tracking. Works pretty well, easy to use and setup, and free to host yourself.

Asset management - like pc inventory tracking and user assignments? use Intune, SCCM, or AD if you can. Intune can handle both inventory and user assignment. I always ended up needing to use SCCM anyway to find out who was using what machines. You could also use a custom field in on a computer object in AD for user assignment

Also buy some SSDs for your workstations. Easiest most cost beneficial upgrade you could do

Oh man yeah SSDs are totally the way to go, I only hope that I can convince the boss to shell out for them instead of what is currently happening; wiping hard drives from decommissioned PC's is what I have currently been instructed to do... PC's from 2013, mind you...

Wibla posted:

We use Ganttproject, its open source and free.

It's not perfect, but MS Project isn't good enough to warrant the licensing, according to IT...

I'll have a look at this one too.

Thanks for all the help folks, I've certainly got plenty of projects to work on.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 9, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

CommieGIR posted:

smart enough to have two ISPs, not smart enough to actually setup proper network redundancy.

Eh depending on the firewalls and switches involved ISP failovers are a bitch. Reasonable for a 20 person office imo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

i am a moron posted:

Eh depending on the firewalls and switches involved ISP failovers are a bitch. Reasonable for a 20 person office imo

If you spend the money to have double infrastructure, you would be better off setting up redundancy correctly with that money instead.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You ever seen an entire office connected to the internet by ViyOS installed on a repurposed desktop computer? I’ve seen some poo poo. The firewalls capable of doing that are probably still more expensive than using a couple pfsenses or something you janked together, and to their credit they’re actually trying to do something so A for effort B for execution

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i am a moron posted:

There are much better ways to do this, like Enterprise rated firewalls with dual WAN. Its absolutely insane for a 20 person office.

i am a moron posted:

You ever seen an entire office connected to the internet by ViyOS installed on a repurposed desktop computer? I’ve seen some poo poo. The firewalls capable of doing that are probably still more expensive than using a couple pfsenses or something you janked together, and to their credit they’re actually trying to do something so A for effort B for execution

pfsense supports dual/redundant want. You don't need two of them. You need better hardware.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i am a moron posted:

SonicWall 2040 for example. drat thing never would fail over to our backup line.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So why doesn’t IT just change what’s plugged into the firewall?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

There are much better ways to do this, like Enterprise rated firewalls with dual WAN. Its absolutely insane for a 20 person office.

pfsense supports dual/redundant want. You don't need two of them. You need better hardware.

You want an enterprise firewall for a 20 person office? Lol that is the definition of small business dude

I mean I don’t really know or care about pfsenses and I’d stub my toe than work on some small business firewall poo poo. But they won’t have a lot of technical skills (even with some MSP) and if it works for them, who cares

nitsuga posted:

So why doesn’t IT just change what’s plugged into the firewall?

They probably don’t have IT

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i am a moron posted:

I mean I don’t really know or care about pfsenses and I’d stub my toe than work on some small business firewall poo poo. But they won’t have a lot of technical skills (even with some MSP) and if it works for them, who cares

pfsense is like the epitome of what a good small business firewall is, because you just need 2-3 NICs and some old enterprise hardware and it'll run for years without intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Beach Bum posted:

I don't really need a ticketing system for user service at the moment, for one because the folks here know I have no IT background and don't trust me at all*, for two because if they have an issue they just come find me. I don't think the owner would play ball with me instituting a ticket system either, he might see it as petty). I only mentioned it because I'd heard some of y'all use your ticketing systems for tracking task completion. I suspected I might be barking up the wrong tree so I asked here.
This is a classic mistake, and I'm not saying that meanly, but rather to contextualize it. Lots of people make that mistake, and it's totally OK.

The sooner you are collecting stats and logging data and metadata in a permanent, searchable form, the better off you will be.

At some point in your tenure, someone is going to say 'My fleem has been broken for 6 months and you haven't done anything about it! I'm losing 4 productive hours each day because of it, I need you to drop what you're doing and fix it now or I'll get the CEO to fire you!'

If you have a ticketing system where literally everything is logged you can then search it and either say' oh, poo poo, you're right, looks like I've fixed it 4 times in the last month alone. Let's get CEO to approve a new gargleblaster for you, that will fix it' or you say 'huh, that's weird, I log literally every single request everyone has ever made of me, and I can't find one at all, can you show me the last email you sent me about it?'

If you don't have a ticketing system, or an excel spreadsheet or whatever, you get to hem and haw and not necessarily look the most competent.

Obviously this is a fictional contrived example, and workplace culture and politics do vary quite a bit from place to place, but you will be doing future you a great service by looking into one of the free solutions people have posted and trying it out sooner rather than later. Your users don't need to know about it yet, nor does the CEO if it's just a system you use to make sure you're getting to everyone's requests in a timely manner and tracking that they are completed permanently to everyone's satisfaction, as well as recording what solutions you used to save time in the future if the same problem reoccurs. Those are good things.

And keep posting here and asking questions.