Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

I got very ~weed fun~ awhile back and came up with this stupid idea:

Create a dumb mini-senate by giving the Governor Generalship to the indigenous bands in Canada.

Let them figure out a system to pick a Governor General. Boom, now the survivors of genocide are a small aristocracy in Canada with a veto over every bill in Parliament and the ability to dissolve and call elections. Nice budget you got there, this reserve has no clean water. Get it done or the bill gets it. Oh I'm sorry, "Crown" land? Who is holding the power of that Crown? Technical landback!

I might be wrong but I think only the Queen can remove a GG, and if our new GG were to do things like this she could probably lawfully dissolve parliament before machinations could remove her. Anything she does in the vein of using the office as leverage to materially improve the lives of aboriginal Canada would cause, at minimum, a Constitutional crisis. I see no real downside to doing this.

Not a perfect solution but couldn't hurt. I'd rather be beholden to the original holders of the land than SNC Lavalin and Goldcorp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

StoicRomance posted:

I got very ~weed fun~ awhile back and came up with this stupid idea:

Create a dumb mini-senate by giving the Governor Generalship to the indigenous bands in Canada.

Let them figure out a system to pick a Governor General. Boom, now the survivors of genocide are a small aristocracy in Canada with a veto over every bill in Parliament and the ability to dissolve and call elections. Nice budget you got there, this reserve has no clean water. Get it done or the bill gets it. Oh I'm sorry, "Crown" land? Who is holding the power of that Crown? Technical landback!

I might be wrong but I think only the Queen can remove a GG, and if our new GG were to do things like this she could probably lawfully dissolve parliament before machinations could remove her. Anything she does in the vein of using the office as leverage to materially improve the lives of aboriginal Canada would cause, at minimum, a Constitutional crisis. I see no real downside to doing this.

Not a perfect solution but couldn't hurt. I'd rather be beholden to the original holders of the land than SNC Lavalin and Goldcorp.

I would rather the senate be dissolved and all of their power given to a First Nations “senate” (or whatever term they wish to use) and we cannot pass law without them and they cannot pass law without us so it better work for everyone.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Sir, this is a Swiss Chalet

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQhNdpX2GA

seriously though you're not wrong

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Got my Moderna yesterday to follow up on my Pfizer I got may 31. Original 2nd dose was for end of August, but when they opened up early reschedule I was able to book one for only 3 days our (NS).

First shot was a cakewalk. This one is a cakewalk but I am carrying a 50lb bag of potatoes on each limb. No headache or sleep trouble thankfully, but I am slow as poo poo today. 10/10 can't wait for the booster in the new year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

I would like it too. Still makes no sense whatsoever. It's 100% a carrot to hang for people to vote liberal in a bellwether riding. Just like it was when Del Mastro promised it ten years ago.

Well, yeah, unfortunately the Liberals figured out that you can't ever actually build things because then you'll have nothing to promise next time.

redbrouw posted:

Sir, this is a Swiss Chalet

I'll have the quarter-chicken dinner, dark meat, with fries. Thanks

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

"The people who came to this country didn't come here to destroy, they came here to build better."

Ah yes, the MB Conservatives, well known for their history of building rather than destroying and dismantling healthcare, education, crown corporations, etc.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Just got shot up with my 2nd Pfizer dose. Last time I just had a sore shoulder for a couple days, let's see what this does for me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Chair In A Basket posted:

can't wait for the booster in the new year.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/vaccines-extremely-effective-against-covid-variants-of-concern-canadian-study/

Maybe not?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brian Pallister is a bigot.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Brian Pallister is a bigot.

Really? I thought he was a progressive person who just happens to refer to atheists as infidels and considers women fickle, unless he thinks a woman speaking at the chamber of commerce looks really hot in heels of course.

Context (because otherwise somebody might rightfully assume I have to be making that poo poo up):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-tory-leader-defends-infidel-atheists-remark-1.2447527
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tory-called-disrespectful-to-women-1.564992
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pallister-johanna-hurme-1.4448779

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 7, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I would rather the senate be dissolved and all of their power given to a First Nations “senate” (or whatever term they wish to use) and we cannot pass law without them and they cannot pass law without us so it better work for everyone.

That was my pitch too. The Senate is elected, but only by people with indigenous status, and it requires indigenous status to sit in it. Wouldn't be perfect, because even that indigenous status thing is a product of colonialism and excludes people, but yes, have an equally empowered house of goverment belonging solely to First Nations, Inuit and Metis. They appoint the GG too.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1412884294905782277?s=20

Kenney just making himself way too easy to dunk on.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

infernal machines posted:

Well, yeah, unfortunately the Liberals figured out that you can't ever actually build things because then you'll have nothing to promise next time.

I'll have the quarter-chicken dinner, dark meat, with fries. Thanks

Sorry sir, nobody works here anymore.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

drat, this is awesome.

On another note, wtf is 'build better'? That doesn't even make sense.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Time stamped to Pallisters bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1a57Mx6_tU&t=586s

Yes, the settlers came here with good intentions. You loving imbecile. You loving poo poo stain.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Time stamped to Pallisters bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1a57Mx6_tU&t=586s

Yes, the settlers came here with good intentions. You loving imbecile. You loving poo poo stain.

"Comments are turned off" I think sums it up perfectly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Beelzebufo posted:

That was my pitch too. The Senate is elected, but only by people with indigenous status,

...as defined by... uh-oh

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/Puglaas/status/1413128438592933898?s=19

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

...as defined by... uh-oh

Funny we are very good at identifying native status when we round them up for re-education

But when we give them self governance? “Oh man who knows. Maybe I am a native too! 1/25th hahahaha”

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

tl;dr version: the usual pap about toxic politics

Just once I would like to see a politician with convictions diagnose the cause of these symptoms rather than bleat the banal refrain of "dysfunction!" Maybe it's also too much to hope that they also propose some loving solutions.

I'm sure Jody Wilson-Raybould is a nice, intelligent person. But this whole thing reeks of self congratulatory triteness. Good job. You've shown that you can correctly identify the most obvious problems we are facing, and that the Canadian political system is unable to respond. Have a gold star.

This type of elementary school analysis is so frustrating. What's worse is that it will be paraded around as if she's a martyr for our times. Unless and until she has the guts to actually propose something, this whole thing just seems like a publicity stunt.

Then again, maybe I am being too critical. Perhaps it's just another example of the lack of any kind of creative ideation or critical analysis that always seems to exemplify a particular class of people who earn a living by huffing each other's farts as they congratulate one another for tinkering at the margins of the homicidal and genocidal policies of neoliberalism.

Sorry for the rant.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Growing a conscience and leaving politics to do something better for the world is a step in the right direction, at least. But statements need actions to back them up so it remains to be seen how meaningful her not running again ends up being.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

So:

1) vaccinated air travellers can come to Canada without quarantine, yes?
2) the land border is shut until 21 July but is air travel to the states open at present from Canada?

(I am a Canadian citizen)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 8, 2021

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Rust Martialis posted:

So:

1) vaccinated air travellers can come to Canada without quarantine, yes?
2) the land border is shut until 21 July but is air travel to the states open at present from Canada?

(I am a Canadian citizen)

As a US citizen living in Canada with a Canadian partner, I pay pretty close attention to this stuff.

1. As of July 5, quarantine hotels and home quarantine requirements have been waived for fully vaccinated inbound travellers. However, the border is still closed; US citizens still cannot enter Canada unless they fall into one of the long-standing exemption categories (e.g. immediate family of Canadian citizens/permanent residents).
2. Canadians cannot enter the US by land (unless they fall into one of the US exemption categories) but can fly to the US without issue. The land border might open on July 21, but we still don't know.

So if you are fully vaccinated and want to take a vacation by air to the US, go for it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Oakland Martini posted:

As a US citizen living in Canada with a Canadian partner, I pay pretty close attention to this stuff.

1. As of July 5, quarantine hotels and home quarantine requirements have been waived for fully vaccinated inbound travellers. However, the border is still closed; US citizens still cannot enter Canada unless they fall into one of the long-standing exemption categories (e.g. immediate family of Canadian citizens/permanent residents).
2. Canadians cannot enter the US by land (unless they fall into one of the US exemption categories) but can fly to the US without issue. The land border might open on July 21, but we still don't know.

So if you are fully vaccinated and want to take a vacation by air to the US, go for it.

Way worse:. I live in Denmark and have had a week in the Catskills booked for over a year - but anyone who has been in the EU in the last 14 days cannot enter the USA. Period. I wasn't going to fly via a 2 week layover in Toronto as until a few days ago I was looking at spending it mostly in quarantine. Now I can fly to Pearson, spend 15 days in Toronto then fly to Newark.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Just once I would like to see a politician with convictions diagnose the cause of these symptoms rather than bleat the banal refrain of "dysfunction!" Maybe it's also too much to hope that they also propose some loving solutions.

I'm sure Jody Wilson-Raybould is a nice, intelligent person. But this whole thing reeks of self congratulatory triteness. Good job. You've shown that you can correctly identify the most obvious problems we are facing, and that the Canadian political system is unable to respond. Have a gold star.

This type of elementary school analysis is so frustrating. What's worse is that it will be paraded around as if she's a martyr for our times. Unless and until she has the guts to actually propose something, this whole thing just seems like a publicity stunt.

Then again, maybe I am being too critical. Perhaps it's just another example of the lack of any kind of creative ideation or critical analysis that always seems to exemplify a particular class of people who earn a living by huffing each other's farts as they congratulate one another for tinkering at the margins of the homicidal and genocidal policies of neoliberalism.

Sorry for the rant.

I dunno. I don't think it's right to criticize Indigenous MPs for not wanting to suffer a constant barrage of coded and not so coded racism to work within settler systems that are built upon and continue to maintain the oppression of Indigenous people.

What level of analysis are you looking for? Our systems are racist. That's the problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This morning Mumilaaq Qaqqaq and Charlie Angus called on Lametti to launch an investigation into a crimes at residential schools and call for aid for Nunavut. Naturally the first thing some reporter asked her was about her thoughts on the new AFN Chief election and she slammed the press for asking her about an election rather than bothering to ask her about her topic at hand. Good on her for calling them out for dodging the question when her entire point of the announcement was to talk about how Canadians turn the other way and cover up the crimes of residential schools by changing the topic.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I do love that she says she's not quitting so that she can "spend more time with her family." lmao yes lets please kill this bad communication strategy.

Not too far off the sort of stuff Qaqqaq was talking about in her statement about why she wasn't running again.

IMO seemed like JWR was a genuinely principled person and that collided with the PMO that didn't care about principles at all. With what happened and her banishment from the Liberal Party we probably have missed out on the positive impacts from someone who could have elevated and changed parliament at least some if she had the chance.

I dunno if JWR's actions were actually that divisive or if it was just internet partisan politics that made it seem so. For whatever reason the SNC Lavalin affair absolutely triggered Liberal partisans into a frothing madness of the sort that I didn't think existed in Canadian political discourse. The poo poo spewing from redditors and twitter liberal partisans on this issue was pretty much at the same insane levels as what we'd see with tea partiers in the USA. The hate directed toward JWR in particular was remarkable. That Philpott was also so disgusted by the PMO she voiced concerns and was poo poo canned seems to be often ignored, and Philpott was never targeted with such vitriol.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol the bald thumbtack is out in Calgary propping up Kenney's whining about equalization being unfair for Albertans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kenney reshuffled his cabinet in an effort to poo poo on as many people as possible.

Jason Luan, who as minister of mental health and addictions closed all the supervised consumption sites which led to a massive spike in overdose deaths is now minister of community and social services, which oversees Alberta Works and AISH, so he can kill a whole new group of people

Tanya Fir who was the only one who saw any consequences for her international vacation over Christmas is back in as minister of red tape reduction

Ron Orr, a christian fundamentalist who said Kenney was "raised by god to be leader" is now the minister of culture, a position which was formerly "minister of culture and the status of women" There is now an associate minister on the status of women, but she is under him on the org chart.

Mike Ellis, a former cop, is now minister of mental health and addictions

Leela aheer, former minister of culture and the status of women, was the only UCP member to speak out about Kenney and bros sky palace party got the boot.

Shandro, Lagrange and Toews have all done such a lovely job so far that they keep their positions and can continue destroying healthcare, education, and Alberta's finances.

The next 2 years are going to be so incredibly hosed up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sitchensis posted:

Sorry for the rant.

She specifically called out FPTP, concentration of power in the PMO, and lack of representation for minorities. Did you want her to write a thesis about it?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Powershift posted:

Kenney reshuffled his cabinet in an effort to poo poo on as many people as possible.

Jason Luan, who as minister of mental health and addictions closed all the supervised consumption sites which led to a massive spike in overdose deaths is now minister of community and social services, which oversees Alberta Works and AISH, so he can kill a whole new group of people

Tanya Fir who was the only one who saw any consequences for her international vacation over Christmas is back in as minister of red tape reduction

Ron Orr, a christian fundamentalist who said Kenney was "raised by god to be leader" is now the minister of culture, a position which was formerly "minister of culture and the status of women" There is now an associate minister on the status of women, but she is under him on the org chart.

Mike Ellis, a former cop, is now minister of mental health and addictions

Leela aheer, former minister of culture and the status of women, was the only UCP member to speak out about Kenney and bros sky palace party got the boot.

Shandro, Lagrange and Toews have all done such a lovely job so far that they keep their positions and can continue destroying healthcare, education, and Alberta's finances.

The next 2 years are going to be so incredibly hosed up.

Well the only good news about this "reshuffling" is that it keeps alive the hope that the UCP will continue to be so lovely that the NDP might win the next election.

Small comfort in the short term, but maybe the long term looks much brighter.

Edit: Shandro has got to have something on Kenney to be able to stay in charge of the health ministry after all his gently caress up's

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Shandro is doing exactly what he's intended to do, which is to draw fire from the medical and nursing community by being a giant fuckwad while the premiers office and treasury do the actual cutting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1413512766644625410

Ontario take the lead in the race to be the dumbest province in Canada

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I know that in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt' mean much, but I've have 2 people every important to me die in the last year, and in both cases we've decided as a family to delay any sort of in person ceremony until it's absolutely safe to gather. And I don't know, it feels like people's need to go to theaters and on cruises is just lengthening the time it's going to take to get to the point where we can finally honor the dead properly, and I find it infuriating.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1413512766644625410

Ontario take the lead in the race to be the dumbest province in Canada

Lol you say that as if Alberta hadn't removed all restrictions over a week ago, and doesn't have the Calgary Stampede in a couple days.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I got my second Pfizer dose yesterday, had about an hour of getting way too hot and wondering if I was gonna be one of those 103 degree fever havers, but then I cooled off and went to bed and this morning I just have a sore arm and my brain feels like it's running at about 50%.

I'll take it.

And yeah, Ontario is 2 weeks behind the Open 'Er Up Alberta train. Try harder Doug Ford (plz don't).

e: The Nashville North tent will require proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter, loving lol the cowboy chuds are going to rage.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 9, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Beelzebufo posted:

I know that in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt' mean much, but I've have 2 people every important to me die in the last year, and in both cases we've decided as a family to delay any sort of in person ceremony until it's absolutely safe to gather. And I don't know, it feels like people's need to go to theaters and on cruises is just lengthening the time it's going to take to get to the point where we can finally honor the dead properly, and I find it infuriating.

gently caress the grand scheme of things those people were important to you. You're allowed to feel for them before you decide to feel for the unwashed masses.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
nearly 80% of ontario has received a vaccine dose and just over 50% of 12+ have received 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

nearly 80% of ontario has received a vaccine dose and just over 50% of 12+ have received 2.

So we only have to gulag 20% of the province. Not bad. Maybe make a white chud reserve they can go live without clean water in for the next dozen or so generations