Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That'd be weird erasure of their own history and I'm not really cool with it even if I found Howard to be pretty boring in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Also I feel like we have the technology now, and maybe Disney wouldn’t be apposed to paying for it, but couldn’t Marvel redo some of Iron Man with just replacing scenes with Howard in them with Cheadle?

Nah they jumped multiverses, and noone noticed.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Argue posted:

SMJ's been in more MCU films than RDJ and his presence didn't make AoS much more canon :v:

Except in my heart, where it remains the sacred timeline.

You meant SLJ, right? I spent five minutes wracking my brain trying to figure out SMJ and it kept going to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, he jumped ship because they wouldn’t pay him what he wanted which if I recall correctly he actually didn’t ask for much, relatively, as he only asked for the amount someone he felt would be paid for being a big part of the movie. I don’t remember him asking to be paid as much as RDJ.

Also I feel like we have the technology now, and maybe Disney wouldn’t be apposed to paying for it, but couldn’t Marvel redo some of Iron Man with just replacing scenes with Howard in them with Cheadle?

Howard was the highest paid actor in Iron Man.

RDJ was paid $500k and Howard was paid $4.5 million (he had just won an Oscar).

For Iron Man 2, Howard was promised to be paid $5 million. RDJ was paid $10 million.

Howard wanted closer to RDJ's $10 million and didn't think it was fair that he made almost 10x what RDJ made for Iron Man 1, but was now making half of what RDJ made for Iron Man 2.

Howard also claimed that he took a $1 million pay cut on Iron Man 1 to pay RDJ and that he was the one who brought RDJ to the project, so he was owed more.

He also thought he had a better bargaining position than he really did because he didn't know that his contract had no severance penalty for Marvel if they decided not to use him.

quote:

"I didn't know it wasn't a mutually binding contract; it was only beneficial for them and they could bring me back or not. They can honor it or not. And you know they made a great deal, Don (Cheadle) and Robert (Downey Jr.) they get along well. But the best thing that happened as a result of it, I went back to school and finished and got my doctorate in chemical engineering. And now I have a company where we grow diamonds. That's going to replace the silicon in computers; that's going to replace all gemstones. So, if that hadn't happened, I would never have gone back [to school].”

I guess he grows diamonds to replace computers and all gemstones now.

And he is publishing a 500 page thesis on how 1x1 = 2 and modern math has it all wrong.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Howard was the highest paid actor in Iron Man.

RDJ was paid $500k and Howard was paid $4.5 million (he had just won an Oscar).

For Iron Man 2, Howard was promised to be paid $5 million. RDJ was paid $10 million.

Howard wanted closer to RDJ's $10 million and didn't think it was fair that he made almost 10x what RDJ made for Iron Man 1, but was now making half of what RDJ made for Iron Man 2.

Howard also claimed that he took a $1 million pay cut on Iron Man 1 to pay RDJ and that he was the one who brought RDJ to the project, so he was owed more.

He also thought he had a better bargaining position than he really did because he didn't know that his contract had no severance penalty for Marvel if they decided not to use him.

I guess he grows diamonds to replace computers and all gemstones now.

And he is publishing a 500 page thesis on how 1x1 = 2 and modern math has it all wrong.

Alright I was definitely wrong. In my defense it was a while since I had read about it. :shobon:

But good for him. :lol:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, he jumped ship because they wouldn’t pay him what he wanted which if I recall correctly he actually didn’t ask for much, relatively, as he only asked for the amount someone he felt would be paid for being a big part of the movie. I don’t remember him asking to be paid as much as RDJ.

Replace Terrance Howard with Howard the Duck in IM1

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

All of this is true, but I was referring to Ike Perlmutter (who was residing over this at the time) making the call saying no one would notice because black people “look the same”.. If he didn't think that they likely would've fought more for the casting.

Same guy who blocked Black Widow from having her own movie or appearing prominently in marketing and stonewalled Black Panther from the MCU.

I've read 1x1=2, it's hilarious. Dude thinks he's the main character in life, not just the MCU.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

All that other stuff makes sense. He didn’t read his contract, and Disney didn’t want to play ball. Case closed.

But this. This is something special here, and I don’t think 500 pages will be enough to convince the world of his brilliance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sammus posted:

All that other stuff makes sense. He didn’t read his contract, and Disney didn’t want to play ball. Case closed.

But this. This is something special here, and I don’t think 500 pages will be enough to convince the world of his brilliance.

If you don't have time to read his 500-page thesis, he has helpfully put out some study guides and summaries for you.

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507?lang=en

quote:

“Since I was a child of three or four,” he says, “I was always wondering, you know, why does a bubble take the shape of a ball? Why not a triangle or a square? I figured it out. If Pythagoras was here to see it, he would lose his mind. Einstein, too! Tesla!” He shakes his head at the miracle of it all, his eyes opening wide, a smile beginning to trace itself, like he’s expecting applause or an award. And all you can do is nod your head and try to follow along. He just seems so convinced that he’s right. And that he is about to change the world.

“This is the last century that our children will ever have been taught that one times one is one,” he says. “They won’t have to grow up in ignorance. Twenty years from now, they’ll know that one times one equals two. We’re about to show a new truth. The true universal math. And the proof is in these pieces. I have created the pieces that make up the motion of the universe. We work on them about 17 hours a day. She cuts and puts on the crystals. I do the main work of soldering them together. They tell the truth from within.”

quote:

[His wife] says, “And then every minute that he has free, it’s to do this.” She gestures at some of Howard’s thingamajigs, tilting her head questioningly. “I help him, cutting, drawing and putting things together."

quote:

After high school, he attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, studying chemical engineering, until he got into an argument with a professor about what one times one equals. “How can it equal one?” he said. “If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what’s the square root of two? Should be one, but we’re told it’s two, and that cannot be.” This did not go over well, he says, and he soon left school. “I mean, you can’t conform when you know innately that something is wrong.”

quote:

Afterward, Howard sets himself down on the sofa and looks like he’s gulping for air. He once said about himself, “The sooner people declare me insane, the sooner I’ll be free.”

So has he ever been to a shrink?

“Back in the Nineties or something. Told me I was crazy,” he says. ” No, he actually told me I had a sex addiction. I said, ‘So what do I do?’ He said, ‘Don’t have any sex.’ I was like, ‘OK, good, I getcha, I getcha.’ ”

On any medications?

“No. I took ayahuasca once. The only answer I got was ‘Keep following your hands.’ ”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

I just can't see Terrance Howard as Warmachine, not at all.

Terrance Howard is... Pimpmachine.

Also, now that Loki has appeared in the Simpsons it potentially opens the door for Loki to meet the most dangerous scientist of them all.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2021

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

quote:

After high school, he attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, studying chemical engineering, until he got into an argument with a professor about what one times one equals. “How can it equal one?” he said. “If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what’s the square root of two? Should be one, but we’re told it’s two, and that cannot be.” This did not go over well, he says, and he soon left school. “I mean, you can’t conform when you know innately that something is wrong.”

They should have sent a poet.

Imagine being in college and arguing about the most fundamental poo poo you learn in 1st grade.

And the square root of 2 is 1.414, not 2 like he claims he was told, and not 1, like he thinks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

10 Beers posted:

You meant SLJ, right? I spent five minutes wracking my brain trying to figure out SMJ and it kept going to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

This is what happens when people just throw our random acronyms without defining them first.

Saying "RDJ" is easy enough, because people were talking about Iron Man and there's only one person that can mean.

Saying, "SMJ's been in more MCU films than RDJ and his presence didn't make AoS much more canon", just turns the sentence into word salad despite there only being one acronym in there which wasn't obvious.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Wait who is SLJ and who is SMJ?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No loving clue, mate.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No loving clue, mate.

D'oh, fair enough.

edit: SLJ must be Samuel L Jackson at least.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Samuel L Jackson and his younger brother Samuel M Jackson.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nail Rat posted:

D'oh, fair enough.

edit: SLJ must be Samuel L Jackson at least.

That makes sense.

A mystery which had no reason to exist, finally solved!

gregday
May 23, 2003

If you don't have time to read his 500-page thesis, he has helpfully put out some study guides and summaries for you.

That's a lot of words he's written to just say he doesn't understand the difference between multiplication and addition.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The fundamental lack of understanding of mathematics this shows is honestly impressive. Right on the first page it's completely hosed.

He wrote 500 pages on this? Wow.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

who is SMJ?

Samuel Motherfucking Jackson.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sobert Mowney Junior

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Samuel Motherfucking Jackson.

Scarlett MyMiddleNameIsIngrid Johansson

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I love it when people did some kind of math that ends with "1=0" then latch on to it for any reason, either thinking they've discovered some new fundamental truth or that there's more to do on the math problem somehow.

It's called an equation because both sides are supposed to be equal - if you somehow end up with just two different integers on each side, it either means you made a mistake when simplifying ("solving") the equation, or that it was never valid in the first place.

Me writing "|x|=(-1)" doesn't mean that I somehow discovered a new property of absolute numbers, it just means I was an idiot when writing the original equation

:rant:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No loving clue, mate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

thrawn527 posted:

The fundamental lack of understanding of mathematics this shows is honestly impressive. Right on the first page it's completely hosed.

He wrote 500 pages on this? Wow.

He claims to have had over 500 pages of research written down as of ~4 years ago. He might have even more now!

He also claims to work "17 hours a day" on it.

I would believe he was crazy enough to do that, but he says it was also when he was shooting Empire and I doubt he was able to do 17 hours of research, shoot Empire, and sleep every day.

quote:

“This is the last century that our children will ever have been taught that one times one is one,” he says. “They won’t have to grow up in ignorance. Twenty years from now, they’ll know that one times one equals two. We’re about to show a new truth. The true universal math. And the proof is in these pieces. I have created the pieces that make up the motion of the universe. We work on them about 17 hours a day. She cuts and puts on the crystals. I do the main work of soldering them together. They tell the truth from within.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 9, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I always thought it was weird that they didn’t even try to recast someone similar in build and look to Howard, but uhh I guess that Perlmutter quote explains it. Even on body type alone, Cheadle is just way more slender and thin than Howard. Not to mention visibly older.

ed: Of course I guess they did the same thing with Norton and Ruffalo, but it’s not like Incredible Hulk was the level of hit and popularity as IM1.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't Norton want full creative control

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Azhais posted:

He did, but I meant more in the way of how they recast the character with an actor who doesn’t look all that much like the previous actor.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Azhais posted:

Norton's demands are why it wasn't a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk. Crazy how close that movie was to being the first movie in the MCU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why would Marvel take this from us

quote:

While it is quite unfortunate that this Frog Thor was deemed unfit for the sacred timeline, Loki producer Eric Martin confirmed that Throg had been on their minds and was originally planned for a bigger cameo.

"Comic fans will notice the Frog of Thunder in that jar," Martin wrote on Twitter. "We actually shot a scene for the Time Theater in Ep 1 of Loki getting pummeled by Frog Thor, but had to cut it to keep things moving. It’s too bad, because Tom was funny as hell. #LokiMidnightTheater"

https://www.ign.com/articles/loki-frog-thor-bigger-cameo-episode-1

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thanks for ruining my day, Marvel.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

When are we getting Nic Cage back as Ghost Rider?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What the gently caress?! They shouldn't have told us about that scene we were robbed of.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spacebump posted:

Norton's demands are why it wasn't a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk. Crazy how close that movie was to being the first movie in the MCU.

The thing that made Norton angry (and you wouldn't like him when he's angry) was that he demanded full creative control and final cut rights for any potential sequel or movie including Hulk because:

- He also wanted them in the first movie and didn't officially get them, but got a lot of changes and was in the editing room - which annoyed the director and other editors who kept having to run new cuts by Norton, had their edits changed, and complained that it slowed down production.

- The director ended up shooting everything extra that Norton wanted, but cut almost all of it for the final release.

- That caused Norton to demand official creative control and editing control for any movie starring Hulk (the next of which was the Avengers), because he wanted a guarantee that they would have to listen to him.

- They dumped him.

Allegedly, the extra scenes they filmed and then immediately cut were expanding on the romantic drama and scenes that would "explore the psychological effect" of Banner having the Hulk inside of him.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

The thing that made Norton angry (and you wouldn't like him when he's angry) was that he demanded full creative control and final cut rights for any potential sequel or movie including Hulk because:

- He also wanted them in the first movie and didn't officially get them, but got a lot of changes and was in the editing room - which annoyed the director and other editors who kept having to run new cuts by Norton, had their edits changed, and complained that it slowed down production.

- The director ended up shooting everything extra that Norton wanted, but cut almost all of it for the final release.

- That caused Norton to demand official creative control and editing control for any movie starring Hulk (the next of which was the Avengers), because he wanted a guarantee that they would have to listen to him.

- They dumped him.

Allegedly, the extra scenes they filmed and then immediately cut were expanding on the romantic drama and scenes that would "explore the psychological effect" of Banner having the Hulk inside of him.

MCU TV: exploring the psychological effect of having the Hulk inside of him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I watched Edward Norton’s segment of the Roast of Bruce Willis a few years ago and he spent the entire time on stage just talking about himself without cracking a single joke and clearly not enjoying a moment of it and I just remember thinking “Yeah, this is why Mark Ruffalo is an internationally beloved super star now and you’re… talking about yourself on the Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis.”

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I appreciate Edward Norton's acting, past roles, and some of his activism, but he absolutely never seems like he's ever having any fun whatsoever anymore, lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mutata posted:

I appreciate Edward Norton's acting, past roles, and some of his activism, but he absolutely never seems like he's ever having any fun whatsoever anymore, lol.

Yeah, this. I dig his Banner a lot but he would have been a real bore in all the Avengers movies.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

mutata posted:

I love seeing him in movies but man, he has a lot of demands for the cash machine that is a marvel movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/RichardEGrant/status/1413539594717564935?s=20