Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So no they didn't say not all men and also you are also "think"ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Josie I love you like a brother but you are not the best at recognising dogwhistles

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

All Lads Lives Matter

it's comin home

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think a lot of fans are just a bit tired of the whole ‘all England fans are violent abusive louts’ thing that’s going around a lot at the moment.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Thank you, for being one of the good ones.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

or they just don't think domestic abuse is particularly common to poor people

It's this by the way, immediately jumping from some football fans beat their partners if their team loses to talking about people council estates, was an interesting leap I though was worth pointing out. domestic abuse cuts across all areas & demographics, not just council estates.

learnincurve posted:

They are being all “not all football fans” when it’s a known phenomenon that domestic abuse goes up after teams lose big matches

Shouldn't be hard to back that up with something then?

There's lots of 'well known phenomenon' banded around online, that's total bunk. I have previously shared the 'bad results = increase in DA' posts until someone showed me the source was complete b.s. If there's something credible you can cite happy to take it.

learnincurve posted:

“They” being super chuffing weird and dismissing domestic abuse.

at no point do I do that, and if we've got to the 'you love Domestic abuse' stage of bad faith lets not bother.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i hope england loses because the english are supposed to lose. they're very good comical villains, and that makes the thought of england winning intolerable.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
England winning would be funnier than any other outcome so I hope it comes home

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You can probably cherry pick any stat to fill a narrative following an event with a large interest, hth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/marinanigrelli/status/1413412390864044033?s=21

lol, goddamn.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Continuity RCP posted:

England winning would be funnier than any other outcome so I hope it comes home
England getting disqualified after winning would be funnier.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i've got my england vest and my can of stella

bring on the wives

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
England wins but has to pay for the trophy to go through customs

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1413486641365209089

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Looke posted:

i've got my england vest and my can of stella

bring on the wives

my wife would destroy me in the field of combat, just utterly annihilate every fibre of my being with rapid strikes and powerful sweeping kicks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my suspicion is that golf is the only regularly broadcasted sport without an accompanying rise in violence

not a chance in hell that's true, people still gamble on golf.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

You can probably cherry pick any stat to fill a narrative following an event with a large interest, hth

well hello bundy how are you? it's been too long pal!

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

JoylessJester posted:

There's lots of 'well known phenomenon' banded around online, that's total bunk. I have previously shared the 'bad results = increase in DA' posts until someone showed me the source was complete b.s. If there's something credible you can cite happy to take it.

That original NFL/superb-owl stat was actually that abuse only went up when the team won; I think being counterintuitive is why it became a pop culture thing that people still reference 30 years later.

There's a more recent UK based study which is the one usually cited in the pre-tournament media articles on the topic: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/articles/2014/world-cup-football-is-a-risk-factor-for-domestic-violence/. It found:

quote:

After controlling for day of the week, incidents of domestic abuse rose by 38 per cent in Lancashire when the England team played and lost and increased by 26 per cent when the England national team played and won or drew compared with days when there was no England match. There was also a carry-over effect, with incidents of domestic abuse 11% higher the day after an England match.

This study also looked at police stats: https://rss.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1740-9713.2012.00606.x One thing that stood out was that there was no change in abuse when England drew, only for wins or losses.
There's also a few limited studies of police reports in Scotland looking at specific things like Old Firm matches that have also found links, eg https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2158244013504207

This study from this year has the biggest dataset and is the most interesting. It finds that the increase is specifically alcohol fuelled (other types of abuse were unchanged) and they found an effect when England won, but not for loses or draws..

quote:

To explore the role of alcohol in the link between football and domestic abuse, we analysed ten years’ worth of crime data from the second largest police force in England (West Midlands Police). We focused on English national football team matches (World Cups and UEFA Euro Championships) in this period. Our results show a 47% increase in the number of reported alcohol-related domestic abuse cases on days when the England team wins in these tournaments, and an 18% increase on days after an England match. We found no increase in the number of non-alcohol-related domestic abuse cases on England match days. In fact, when we look at the exact time pattern of the England win effect we see that the increase in the number of alcohol-related cases starts in the three-hour period of the match, peaks in the next three-hour period, and then gradually declines to its original levels in the 24-hour period after the match. This pattern is highly consistent with the effect of prolonged alcohol-fuelled celebrations following an England victory.

They also found an increase in other non-DA violent crime and again only for England wins. As a comparison they looked at times when England playing Rugby Union matches and there was no effect. For context the increase is about half that seen at Christmas. The whole of the discussion section is worth a read if you're interested in the issue.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Thanks for all of these links, the last couple seem particularly interesting! Cheers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It should disqualify the team.

Only if they're English.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

well hello bundy how are you? it's been too long pal!

Good ta, allowing myself to enjoy the football instead of being a soured doomaddled moron about it! I trust you're well

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What happened here? https://mobile.twitter.com/delismurf/status/1413515946430369794

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

stronk kief

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Good ta, allowing myself to enjoy the football instead of being a soured doomaddled moron about it! I trust you're well

hockey man meself but i'm glad you're having a good time :)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Only if they're English.

These days...

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's a council by-election, they are notoriously swingy.

Unlike the last two major by-elections Labour hosed up, that is.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jakabite posted:

I think a lot of fans are just a bit tired of the whole ‘all England fans are violent abusive louts’ thing that’s going around a lot at the moment.

By at the moment do you mean since the inception of sports?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Island of inebriated gammons surprisingly touchy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
get his rear end

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

well that's not very hygge now, is it?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
hold on a minute, lambda variant? aren't we missing a few?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nah. Every variant gets a name, the ones between Delta and Lambda are such minute variants that you've never heard of them.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

The worst thing about Batley and Spen is that the Galloway mob are a little bit more insufferable now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's a council by-election, they are notoriously swingy.

Unlike the last two major by-elections Labour hosed up, that is.

Labour has had a suspiciously long and consistent streak of bad council elections, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Labour has had a suspiciously long and consistent streak of bad council elections, though.

its only suspicious if you don't think labour councils are loving shite

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

By at the moment do you mean since the inception of sports?

No I mean it’s particularly bad at the moment

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve has a theory that it’s older gammons with very poor chants and bad behaviour we see at the matches these days because ticket scalpers running bots and scams are inflating the prices to the point where only silly gammon prepared to pay any price can afford to go.

You really don’t see as many normal people with kids in the stands as you used to so she’s got a point.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Continuity RCP posted:

The worst thing about Batley and Spen is that the Galloway mob are a little bit more insufferable now

Imagining the Galloway mob as George and like 5 of his mates in a car driving round in pinstripe suits ruining local elections like the lads out of the wacky races

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jakabite posted:

Yes, the English people who don't like football or the national team are the whiniest motherfuckers on earth right now. Then it's everyone else. Then it's us supporters of Gareth and the lads, who are all legends having a great time.

:qq: waaaa :qq: waaaa :qq: forza azzurri :qq: waaaa :qq:

for a leftist you sound lot like a nationalist. wonder why that is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stfu lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

How, what did they even do?