Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A while back I had asked this thread what would be a good piano for me and my kids to learn piano on (we are all taking lessons) but one that would also be awesome for making music, and was recommended the Yamaha MODX8.

I am pretty close to purchasing it (this recommendation was given to me like two years ago) but there's two "alarming" things I am noticing. 1) I cannot find a 3-way pedal for it, and 2) there's nowhere on the keyboard to hold sheet music.

I don't know how big of a deal number 1 is, but if my kids will be learning on a piano with 3 pedals, I wouldn't want them to come home to a piano with 1.

For number 2, I tried googling "sheet music stand for the Yamaha MODX8" and nothing came up. There's a lot of them for their MS models, but I am not seeing anything for the MODX8.

Is there a way to get both of those things for it? Or am I just terrible at googling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Honestly if you’re looking for an electronic piano and not a synthesizer this thread is only tangentially related to those instruments

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A while back I had asked this thread what would be a good piano for me and my kids to learn piano on (we are all taking lessons) but one that would also be awesome for making music, and was recommended the Yamaha MODX8.

I am pretty close to purchasing it (this recommendation was given to me like two years ago) but there's two "alarming" things I am noticing. 1) I cannot find a 3-way pedal for it, and 2) there's nowhere on the keyboard to hold sheet music.

I don't know how big of a deal number 1 is, but if my kids will be learning on a piano with 3 pedals, I wouldn't want them to come home to a piano with 1.

For number 2, I tried googling "sheet music stand for the Yamaha MODX8" and nothing came up. There's a lot of them for their MS models, but I am not seeing anything for the MODX8.

Is there a way to get both of those things for it? Or am I just terrible at googling?

the modx8 is a full on synth workstation, you want something closer to a DGX660 imo

if you want something with more songwriting features the PA600 looks interesting

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 9, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually kind of want both. I'd rather not have two separate things in my house (a synth and an electric piano seems like a waste of space). My idea is that I would like the keyboard/piano to be able to make any sound it wants, like a harpsichord, a violin, whatever. Also I want to be able to do fun stuff like take a literal audio clip of my dog barking and have my kids play that ridiculous version of Jingle Bells with the dog barking sounds.

Also, if we all eventually get good enough, I'd love to be able to recreate crazy stuff like movie and video game soundtracks. Like you know those amazing OCRemixes on youtube of video game songs? Those all have different instruments in them played by one person (of course done in layers and not at the same time) and I would love to be able to do that from the keyboard itself and not like using Fruity Loops or something.

No clue if any of this makes sense.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ok, yeah the main issue is that piano and workstation are a bit different categories of instruments. the modx8 has a rear input with 4 plugs for foot switch and something called a "foot controller" so it might be easy to get a three pedal to work with it but idk.

check out the roland fantom line, it has an explicit 3 pedal input.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I actually kind of want both. I'd rather not have two separate things in my house (a synth and an electric piano seems like a waste of space). My idea is that I would like the keyboard/piano to be able to make any sound it wants, like a harpsichord, a violin, whatever. Also I want to be able to do fun stuff like take a literal audio clip of my dog barking and have my kids play that ridiculous version of Jingle Bells with the dog barking sounds.

Also, if we all eventually get good enough, I'd love to be able to recreate crazy stuff like movie and video game soundtracks. Like you know those amazing OCRemixes on youtube of video game songs? Those all have different instruments in them played by one person (of course done in layers and not at the same time) and I would love to be able to do that from the keyboard itself and not like using Fruity Loops or something.

My thinking was that if your kids are learning piano they will probably come to prefer a hammer action keybed and any digital piano is going to support midi out. I bet the majority of the video game remixes you’re talking about are done in the box on a daw so you would have to use that anyway. If you want to be able to do whole songs in a hardware keyboard you are probably either going to have to sacrifice the keybed you want, the recording features you want, or the budget you want.

If it was me I would get the nicest piano I could afford because even though I primarily play with synths I love a nice piano action keyboard and even if you prefer hardware there’s lots of compact synths you can buy without a keyboard taking up space.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Get a disklavier, problem solved.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

I'd rather not have two separate things in my house (a synth and an electric piano seems like a waste of space).

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rude of them to do this right after I bought that reface dx

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

brand engager posted:

Rude of them to do this right after I bought that reface dx

haha, i think the reface might have the better keybed of the two at least

trying to not buy the new circuit rhythm but its getting hard. I just love drum machines so much

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A MIRACLE posted:

haha, i think the reface might have the better keybed of the two at least

trying to not buy the new circuit rhythm but its getting hard. I just love drum machines so much

one day i will buy a piece of hardware suited for melody/harmony. one day

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

good news, my buddy bought a pulsar 23. so I'm gonna go over to his place and rip that poo poo into my SP404.

and maybe steal it

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
So, Amazon has the poly d for £492 so I caved in and am now looking forward to playing around with that fat moog sound for a drat nice price.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Another day, another :psyduck: moment digging into this Genesis synth - so it turns out you can use their RYMcast player to load VGM files, which are widely available but here's a link to Project 2612 and you can actually pause any moment and drag and drop any of the 6 synth patches active at that time from the VGM file, onto RYM2612, and it will load it up and you can then play the literally exact sound from the game. Which, of course then you can mess with the algorithm to quickly get different, musical sounds from the patch you copied from a 30 year old game.

There are some beautiful, resonant, reverberating tones behind gnarly splatter basses and stuff, with a different algorithm. And vice versa, some nasty tones when stacking the "blocks" in series if they weren't by default. It is so cool just ripping the patch out of games I remember well and playing it, I gotta record a demo of this for my blog.

ALSO! It turns out they have a free plugin that basically lets you apply bitcrushed/aliased/distorted character from the 8-bit synth as a VST effect, and I have had great results pairing that with other synths. I love this company, they're killing it. I think I will try their Akai S950 AD/DA emulator soon, as I am really liking this kind of sound.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You want this: https://www.pianodreamers.com/piano-buying-guide/

The website also has feature breakdowns and reviews of basically every model on the market. It's maybe a little SEO-ish, but I've found it helpful when researching for a piano that we will one day buy for at home.

If you want synth stuff, as others have said, just use the MIDI out on the piano into your computer, or into a hardware synth if that's more your thing. For video game remixes, you're probably best off getting a VST for your DAW that can emulate whichever lo-fi gaming console sound board you're looking for (e.g. see last page the post above for mention of a cheap Genesis emulator).

inferis posted:

any digital piano is going to support midi out

IIRC, a handful of the lower-end models do not. So definitely make sure that this is a feature.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JockstrapManthrust posted:

So, Amazon has the poly d for £492 so I caved in and am now looking forward to playing around with that fat moog sound for a drat nice price.

Yeah, nice price. Meanwhile, at my price range I'm digging this Portasound I got at the Value Village and discovering that this PSS-21 from about '95 has a bunch of voices with mono mode. Pretty cool!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
AFAIK all Yamaha digi pianos have at least MIDI over USB, so you should be able to control virtual instruments in a DAW just fine. An extra $500 will get you Reason, which comes packed with all the instruments and effects you could ever want.

Actual DIN MIDI ports are for nerds who want to control their synths directly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

snorch posted:

AFAIK all Yamaha digi pianos have at least MIDI over USB, so you should be able to control virtual instruments in a DAW just fine. An extra $500 will get you Reason, which comes packed with all the instruments and effects you could ever want.

Actual DIN MIDI ports are for nerds who want to control their synths directly.

Yeah really. Or Ableton, or FLStudio, or whatever.

The other thing I'd add is to just go into a music store and try out some pianos. That should be a general rule for any time you're spending that much money on a musical instrument.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the replies. I did want a piano that could at least simulate other instruments, but it doesn't need to be as nuts as the modx8. Just if you wanted it to sound like a harpsichord or whatever.

I'll definitely go to a local store and pick one out once I am a better player and have a few dozen lessons under my belt. I just really wanted something that was going to be fun while being realistic, instead of just emulating an analog piano as much as possible (which is important too).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

that doesn’t seem likely, maybe if you like heavily feature the “character” or want to use them in a video or whatever. i know and know of tons of people who use it and nobody has ever mentioned it

Well there is some weird poo poo in there...

quote:

LIMITATIONS ON USE; PROHIBITED USES You may not publish or distribute in any manner Synthesized Singing that includes lyrics which are against public policy. You may not use the Software and Voice Library (i) in violation of any applicable law or regulation, (ii) in any manner that might infringe the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property rights of others or violate the privacy, publicity or other personal rights of others including the original singer of the Voice Library, or (iii) in a manner that is defamatory, obscene, hateful, threatening, abusive, or otherwise objectionable. In no event will Yamaha be liable for any and all claims, suits or consequential, incidental or special damages arising out of or in connection with your publishing or distributing Synthesized Singing.

and...(bolding the parts that would make me nervous)

quote:

SEPARATE ADDITIONAL LICENSE The following types of usage of the Synthesized Singing made by using the Software and Voice Library may require a separate additional license from Yamaha which may incur a license fee calculated according to the type of usage. If you wish to obtain such additional license, you should in the first instance contact Yamaha to discuss their particular requirements. (a) Use with VOCALOID(TM), product name of Voice Library or other similar expression, in whole or in part, as product, product package, advertisement, or otherwise visible to the public, and commercially reproduce, distribute, perform or display such product to the public. (b) Use in a commercial Karaoke or similar service/system to provide vocals including backing vocals, including use to create commercial Karaoke software, Karaoke hardware, and internet-based Karaoke products systems and services. (c) Use commercially as telephone ringtones or as audio alerts or signals in telephone or telecommunication equipment, except when used in combination with other musical instruments or sounds within a musical composition. (d) Use as built-in voice or sound for consumer electronics products, robots, car navigation system, gambling machines, musical instruments, computer software, game software, or any other hardware and software products. (e) Use in commercial motion pictures or other commercial audiovisual works. (f) Use in CD/DVD or other recordable media produced for reproducing, distributing, performing, or displaying to the public by commercial entities, including broadcast or any other transmission, except permitted use under subsection 4(c) above.

They may not actually go after people on these grounds very often, but that seems to give them an awfully broad range of options to gently caress you up if they felt like it for some reason.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah most digital pianos come with a small-ish bank of rompler voices. Those won't be anywhere near the same quality as the piano voice(s), but they'll do the job if you just want to screw around making harpsichord noises.

And again, if later on you want proper orchestral instrument simulation, or fancy synths, or whatever, you can always get software for that and use the piano as a controller.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you could theoretically get dampening and sustain and whatever the third pedal does via midi continous controllers. you could drill two holes in the top of the case and mount a sheet music rest.

you could get a decent digital piano for a 1/3rd the cost of that synth, way less if you get a used one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If you have the money for a MODX8 you might not care but this is likely my only opportunity to pimp out my awesome Casio keyboard. It will do everything your looking for. It has tons of built in instruments, and you can synthesize your own. It also has a sequencer, external recorder, arpeggiator, accompaniment editor, etc. It even has built in organ sliders, which the MODX8 doesn't have :v: The WK 7600 has everything you need to compose music built in, you don't need a computer at all. Its also 76 weighted keys and 1/4 the price of the MODX8 because its an older model and on the way out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WK7600--casio-wk-7600-76-key-portable-arranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfNln2Y0B4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZCkSEC9sM

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 10, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Trig Discipline posted:

Well there is some weird poo poo in there...

and...(bolding the parts that would make me nervous)

They may not actually go after people on these grounds very often, but that seems to give them an awfully broad range of options to gently caress you up if they felt like it for some reason.

my read on that is pretty clearly that as long as you use it in like a composition you’re fine but if you want to use it for like narration in a museum tour or sell sample cds of it you have to get an additional license

like i’m obviously not gonna defend the honor of gigantic corporations, and i know how hosed copyright law is (especially in japan) so i might be under reacting to it but :shrug:

ninja edit: and of course my avatar shows my loving bias here lmfao

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Newest album is here

This is really well put together, I'm really loving the chords and the arrangement is super on point.

Also, as a huge robot speech nerd, I just want to add my two cents and say MDA Talkbox is no joke still one of the best vocoders out there. It's based on LPC instead of the usual resonant filter bank, which gives it a much more crisp sound.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

my read on that is pretty clearly that as long as you use it in like a composition you’re fine but if you want to use it for like narration in a museum tour or sell sample cds of it you have to get an additional license

like i’m obviously not gonna defend the honor of gigantic corporations, and i know how hosed copyright law is (especially in japan) so i might be under reacting to it but :shrug:

ninja edit: and of course my avatar shows my loving bias here lmfao

Oh man don't get me wrong, Vocaloid is cool as hell and I would love to play with it. I'd just hesitate to use it for anything commercial. I actually live in Japan and the copyright laws here are not just strict, they're often quite arbitrary. I've previously done a number of things under "fair use" when I lived elsewhere, and I'm generally skeeved out by the idea that Japan doesn't really have such a thing.

I've recently had reason to look fairly deeply into this issue for my day job, and at the end of the day ended up just going ahead and doing something I could probably get sued for and hoping for the best. There are readings of the law under which what we did there is absolutely fine, and there are other ways of reading the law that say it's not premitted. What makes it really sketchy is that there's a clause that basically says that the original content creator has the right to shut something down just because they don't like it, regardless of any other protections. The super weird bit is that that right is non-transferable, so that if a company buys the intellectual property the original creator still has veto power over unlicensed uses even if the new owners don't object.

snorch posted:

This is really well put together, I'm really loving the chords and the arrangement is super on point.

Also, as a huge robot speech nerd, I just want to add my two cents and say MDA Talkbox is no joke still one of the best vocoders out there. It's based on LPC instead of the usual resonant filter bank, which gives it a much more crisp sound.

Oh dang, I hadn't thought about MDA in years.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 10, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh dang, I hadn't thought about MDA in years.

I'd actually welcome some suggestions for free dirtying-up plugins that are better than MDA Combo, I've been finding it a bit one-dimensional and muddy lately.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I just realized I own Arturia’s Vocoder soft synth, never used it but it’s a bit better than Ableton’s vocoder just from trying one or two synth presets with it. Thanks for the MDA recommendation, I’d never heard of it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

If you have the money for a MODX8 you might not care but this is likely my only opportunity to pimp out my awesome Casio keyboard. It will do everything your looking for. It has tons of built in instruments, and you can synthesize your own. It also has a sequencer, external recorder, arpeggiator, accompaniment editor, etc. It even has built in organ sliders, which the MODX8 doesn't have :v: The WK 7600 has everything you need to compose music built in, you don't need a computer at all. Its also 76 weighted keys and 1/4 the price of the MODX8 because its an older model and on the way out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WK7600--casio-wk-7600-76-key-portable-arranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfNln2Y0B4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZCkSEC9sM

drat that looks sick. I love casios lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thanks for all the replies. I did want a piano that could at least simulate other instruments, but it doesn't need to be as nuts as the modx8. Just if you wanted it to sound like a harpsichord or whatever.

I'll definitely go to a local store and pick one out once I am a better player and have a few dozen lessons under my belt. I just really wanted something that was going to be fun while being realistic, instead of just emulating an analog piano as much as possible (which is important too).

Keep in mind that playing synth or weird samples or whatever with weighted piano keys is definitely going to be mechanically very different from using something with synth or organ-style keys.

Like if you’re really interested in exploring the wild frontier of sonicscapes you might wanna consider just focusing on getting the best e-piano/etc that you can without worrying about arranger/synth features, and then just grabbing an inexpensive synth-style controller by the likes of Arturia/Novation/Akai for more computer-oriented stuff.

Or you could get something like an 88-key hammer action controller and run your samples/software off of a computer or iPad, but then you’re basically paying e-piano prices for a product that doesn’t really do what you want, and it would be a real pain to set up for a kid.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Imhotep posted:

I just realized I own Arturia’s Vocoder soft synth, never used it but it’s a bit better than Ableton’s vocoder just from trying one or two synth presets with it. Thanks for the MDA recommendation, I’d never heard of it.

Wait now I’m wondering if I own this.

e: Guess not, I assume it was added in v8.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 10, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

drat that looks sick. I love casios lol

:hmmyes:
Agreed Casio rules. They need to come out with something the size of the OP-1, just cram it with features then sell it for $300 and embarrass everyone.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

this, this is your casio op-1

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/xw-pd1/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBPnmXBm0g

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

actually seriously if it had had more than, like, 8 pattern storage spots per song it would've been a really cool, extremely reasonably priced piece of kit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:
Obviously you just need two of them

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Trig Discipline this is a cool album man, thanks for sharing about your process also. I am using Vital for vocoder sounding speech synthesis right now, I wonder how it compares to these tools that have been mentioned.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rutibex posted:

:rolleyes:
Obviously you just need two of them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The reface dx is pretty sweet. I got a ripcord volt USB adapter thing and it’s great for couch playing. Getting more confident with the editor,making ominous square wave music rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

Trig Discipline this is a cool album man, thanks for sharing about your process also. I am using Vital for vocoder sounding speech synthesis right now, I wonder how it compares to these tools that have been mentioned.

Thanks, glad you like it! You know, I've had Vital for a while but have hardly used it. I have a dim memory of liking it when I did play around with it, but it just sorta slid off my radar.