Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Appropriately he's making the hazard sign.

Also helmet off within track bounds is an automatic black flag, this is what we'll finally bring him down with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...what do you think is the worst-case scenario here?

the kid decides they want another go at steering when on a normal road going at 30mph+

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When I was 6 or 7, my grandad used to let me sit on his lap and actually steer the car (a big old Wolseley) on public roads. This was the early 1970s, mind, the days of suicide lanes and no seatbelts.

I think my mum went ballistic when she found out, but it was awesome at the time.

(I now have a 6-year-old of my own, and holy poo poo would I not let him do anything like that, but if he wants to try go-karting or the like I'd be all for it.)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 9, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's incredibly irresponsible to allow any human to pilot a 2 ton death machine but it's a bit worse if it's a child.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Spoilered to avoid traumatising Julio Cruz:

I can't remember how old I was - probably about seven - but I steered my dad's mate's car for about a mile down the road with my dad and his mate pushing it to get to the garage.

Also one of the standard treats for all of us kids was being sat on the fuel tank of my dad's bike while he ran us around the block, sometimes even letting us control it (at like 10 mph with his hands of course ready to take over if needed).

Probably my first ever memory of motorbikes was at about 3 years old, my dad bringing home a new (well second hand but new to him) Honda CX650 (the non-turbo version, alas) and dutifully taking my brothers and sister around the block on it, with my mum on the back, and being disappointed that my mum said I was too young. Then of course as soon as she went back in he scooped me up onto the tank and took me round too.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Julio Cruz posted:

the kid decides they want another go at steering when on a normal road going at 30mph+
"no"

Plus my dad used to let me steer sometimes in obviously safe non-road situations & it never even occurred to me to ask because lol obviously

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

And they'll overpower the mother, perhaps with some sort of Vulcan nerve pinch, seizing control and ram-raiding a local off-license?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Remember folks, "pump the brakes during a skid" is old deprecated advice from before ABS was in most cars, the current advice is to just steer toward the skid and, if you're in a manual, depress the clutch :eng101:

My teacher emphasised again and again that "you have 100 total grip. you can use it for steering, you can use it for accelerating or you can use it for breaking, but if you use 50 for breaking you only have 50 left for steering"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

"no"

Plus my dad used to let me steer sometimes in obviously safe non-road situations & it never even occurred to me to ask because lol obviously

I don't know how many 6 year olds you're familiar with but they don't always ask before they do something, and nor can they differentiate between safe and unsafe road situations

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And they'll overpower the mother, perhaps with some sort of Vulcan nerve pinch, seizing control and ram-raiding a local off-license?

I mean a child grabbing hold of the wheel and pulling without warning is pretty clearly a dangerous thing to happen

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I think if you've got a kid on your lap where they can reach the steering wheel on a public road at speed you've already Done hosed Up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's possibly an even better reason to try to demystify the car and teach them why it is dangerous. I don't think there are very many children attempting to grab the wheel one way or the other, but I certainly didn't listen to my parents consistently just because they said I shouldn't do something and refused to elaborate.

Can children young enough to not realise why that is a bad idea even reach the wheel from the passenger seat?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
honestly though I am loving all the arguments of "well we did it all the time when I was a kid and it never did me any harm", as loved by boomers on Facebook everywhere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

My teacher emphasised again and again that "you have 100 total grip. you can use it for steering, you can use it for accelerating or you can use it for breaking, but if you use 50 for breaking you only have 50 left for steering"
Remember to save some points for lasers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If your spider-limbed monster 6 year old can reach the steering wheel from the back seat, where they should be if you're on a public road, you have bigger, possibly demonic problems on your hands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, I feel like if apparently so many people have done it the argument is apparently more than it doesn't seem to have done anybody any harm unless there is a consistent problem of children hijacking their parents cars I don't know about.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I had to drive a car for my father a few miles when I was about 6-7.
We were out fishing on a beach in Co. Sligo in Ireland, and only thing I remember was the tide was out so we had to walk a long way from the car.
Next thing I remember was my dad rushing me to the car, clutching his hand.
Turned out a fish bit into his hand, and blood was pissing everywhere.
Got into the car, and grandmas was a few miles down the road.
Dad started to get dizzy and fainted a bit, he told me to take over the steering which I did. He obviously the brakes and such.
We got back eventually and he was rushed to the doctors.
No major damage, just a lot of blood lost due to how deep it was.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean a child grabbing hold of the wheel and pulling without warning is pretty clearly a dangerous thing to happen

How strong, and how stupid, do you think a six year old is? I mean obviously you have to believe they're pretty thick just to leave some space below you on the scale, but even so they're not going to just arbitrarily decide to grab the wheel *and even if they wanted to* the bigger problem is - if they're in a position to do so - they're definitely not properly secured in the car so maybe worry about that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, I feel like if apparently so many people have done it the argument is apparently more than it doesn't seem to have done anybody any harm unless there is a consistent problem of children hijacking their parents cars I don't know about.

the reason we ridicule boomers for things like "well we never had seatbelts and we were fine" is that the people who didn't have seatbelts and weren't fine aren't around to be posting on Facebook

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

honestly though I am loving all the arguments of "well we did it all the time when I was a kid and it never did me any harm", as loved by boomers on Facebook everywhere

So if you can demonstrate a rash - or indeed a single occurrence, ever, in the 120-year history of motoring - of kids deciding that because they were given a little treat they were going to go Fury Road on the Preston bypass I'll cheerfully concede the point.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

You could say the same of any dangerous activity. The ones who got killed doing it ain't gonna be talking about it, just the ones who got away with it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Remember folks, "pump the brakes during a skid" is old deprecated advice from before ABS was in most cars, the current advice is to just steer toward the skid and, if you're in a manual, depress the clutch :eng101:

Hell don’t touch the brakes at all. The last thing you want to do during a skid is to transfer the weight to the front suddenly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

the reason we ridicule boomers for things like "well we never had seatbelts and we were fine" is that the people who didn't have seatbelts and weren't fine aren't around to be posting on Facebook

But we know people crash cars and go through windscreens without seatbelts, that is why seatbelts were invented because they prevent a known mechanism of action that kills people.

I don't think it is the same to suggest there is a secret epidemic of children crashing cars that we just can't know about but which is definitely because of parents letting their children see how the steering works in a car park.

I think at that point you're basically doing god of the gaps.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I totally did do this in my mid teens, typically to buy weed, but honestly I'd almost certainly have tried anyway regardless of whether I knew how to drive a car or not because I was kind of a dick, so on balance it's probably better that I did know :shrug:

e: not, like, hihack from the passenger seat whilst my dad was driving, but that would be impressively ballsy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How strong, and how stupid, do you think a six year old is? I mean obviously you have to believe they're pretty thick just to leave some space below you on the scale, but even so they're not going to just arbitrarily decide to grab the wheel *and even if they wanted to* the bigger problem is - if they're in a position to do so - they're definitely not properly secured in the car so maybe worry about that.

again I ask, how many six year olds do you know? because making decisions on the spur of the moment without understanding the consequences is something they do quite a lot, especially when they've been led to believe the thing they want to do is a fun and OK thing to do

and yeah they should be properly secured but you can't always guarantee they're gonna stay that way, because, like I say, six year olds

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

I mean I totally did do this in my mid teens, typically to buy weed, but honestly I'd almost certainly have tried anyway regardless of whether I knew how to drive a car or not because I was kind of a dick, so on balance it's probably better that I did know :shrug:

e: not, like, hihack from the passenger seat whilst my dad was driving, but that would be impressively ballsy

Well yeah but kids stealing their parents cars when they are old enough to physically manipulate the controls is not, I think, a thing that has much relation to being allowed to touch the steering wheel. I think that's kind of a separate problem because you can probably figure out how to make a car go at that age whether or not you have been allowed to go brum brum with the wheel or not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Hell don’t touch the brakes at all. The last thing you want to do during a skid is to transfer the weight to the front suddenly.

Oh yeah, I should have been more clear, the only pedal you should even think about during a skid is the clutch if you're in a manual. Otherwise, feet off the pedals, steer toward the skid smoothly, don't jerk the wheel.

Basically, as with essentially all situations like this, key is to not panic.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I thought maybe Julio had some divine insight into the cause & effect of my cognitive development :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Especially today you can just look up how to make car go on youtube so I don't think witholding technical knowledge is going to help much.

Also like, does this extend to stuff like go carts, or them big electric fisher price car thingies the rich kids have? Or the plastic steering wheel toys? Playing Forza with a wheel controller? There's lots of stuff that puts the idea in kids heads that playing with the steering wheel and making car go brr is fun, why wouldn't they cause the same problem if the concept of "no you can't do that" is out the window?

I just do not see this as being significantly different. You just have to be able to impart to kids the idea that there are some things they cannot do unless you tell them they are allowed, and that has to work enough of the time to keep them alive for a while until theoretically they develop that discernment themselves. But there are a lot of things you have to do that about and I just don't see that this really makes much difference.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Especially today you can just look up how to make car go on youtube so I don't think witholding technical knowledge is going to help much.
Whenever there was one of these "teenage joyriders cause chaos" pieces in the paper my nan used to blame something about modern cars (of the time) from automatic transmission to them being too easy to start these days.

I wonder if that's the inverse of the boomer thing, where if only cars were such a bollock to operate that many people couldn't then the youths wouldn't bother.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I crashed a car when I was a little kid. My mum left me in it to pick something up, I climbed into the driver's seat and let the handbrake off. Car rolled backwards down a hill and I tried to turn a corner but I turned the wheel the wrong way and hit a lamppost instead

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

again I ask, how many six year olds do you know? because making decisions on the spur of the moment without understanding the consequences is something they do quite a lot, especially when they've been led to believe the thing they want to do is a fun and OK thing to do

and yeah they should be properly secured but you can't always guarantee they're gonna stay that way, because, like I say, six year olds

So like I say, how common a thing do you think this is?

Once again, you said something dumb and are just making yourself look even stupider by doubling down on it. We all occasioanlly post without thinking, just say "Oh yeah, now I think about it you're right" and chalk it down to experience before you start berating us all for not being regular Automotive Insanity posters and therefore not actually knowing anything about cars.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
JC appears to be engaging in a timehonoured tradition of thread and forum - taking a very weird stance on something inconsequential that they don't care about IRL, then refusing to concede an inch once their initial statement is called into question.

On a related note, last night I read a 15 page argument on a DIY forum between two blokes who were extremely exercised about whether decking boards should be placed grooved side down or up, which invoked Einstein and Isaac Newton at some point

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Also like, does this extend to stuff like go carts, or them big electric fisher price car thingies the rich kids have? Or the plastic steering wheel toys? Playing Forza with a wheel controller? There's lots of stuff that puts the idea in kids heads that playing with the steering wheel and making car go brr is fun, why wouldn't they cause the same problem if the concept of "no you can't do that" is out the window?

I just do not see this as being significantly different. You just have to be able to impart to kids the idea that there are some things they cannot do unless you tell them they are allowed, and that has to work enough of the time to keep them alive for a while until theoretically they develop that discernment themselves. But there are a lot of things you have to do that about and I just don't see that this really makes much difference.

By six years old I was on like my third or fourth (non-powered) go-kart and yet somehow this never put the idea in my mind to try and get my dad's Lada* to do the 360 spin I could get my Junior KettCar to do.

* I think it explains a lot about my attitude to transport that through my childhood my dad had a selection of bikes from an MZ 125 to a Triumph Bonneville, but his only four-wheeled transport was a Lada.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

JC appears to be engaging in a timehonoured tradition of thread and forum - taking a very weird stance on something inconsequential that they don't care about IRL, then refusing to concede an inch once their initial statement is called into question.

On a related note, last night I read a 15 page argument on a DIY forum between two blokes who were extremely exercised about whether decking boards should be placed grooved side down or up, which invoked Einstein and Isaac Newton at some point

Please tell me you waited until 12 hours after it had all died down then threw in a question about the double-sided ones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being fair if it was a lada you very probably would not have been able to make it go if you had wanted to :v:

Failed Imagineer posted:

I am now morbidly curious what the argument for grooves down is because I always assumed they were just for aesthetics/traction?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please tell me you waited until 12 hours after it had all died down then threw in a question about the double-sided ones?

Unfortunately I wasn't about to create an account to necropost a 7 year old thread and touch the poop. Also both of the blokes admitted that neither of them had decking in their own gardens

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Being fair if it was a lada you very probably would not have been able to make it go if you had wanted to :v:

I am now morbidly curious what the argument for grooves down is because I always assumed they were just for aesthetics/traction?

Grooves down is actually how the manufacturers usually recommend they be installed. I have no idea why, mind.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Well if you insist...

The original design intent is grooves down to allow drainage (think of the drip cut under a windowsill), and to promote ventilation and drying across the joists.

It seems at some point installers decided that grooves up looked nice and that it improved traction. It doesn't, it just causes rainwater to collect (and not run off due to surface tension), where it can then freeze in winter causing your boards to get hosed up and turning your deck into an ice rink. Otherwise the pooled water just causes moss to grow and other debris accumulates in the grooves

So now most people do grooves-up installation, and apparently get really worked up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Nah they're supposed to be underneath to allow the air to circulate or something, for longevity. People have just been putting them upside down for so long that everyone assumes that's how they're "supposed" to be.

They're also useful for grip though because jfc everybody has decking here & nobody cleans it despite this being one of the rainiest towns in one of the rainiest countries, those things are deathtraps (e: ^^^well that's me told. I'm officially GROOVE DOWN CRU now)