Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm trying to figure this out and google is being unhelpful I have 8 or so HP computers that power our conference rooms. We have flakey power to the office so they'll shut off every now and then. Found in bios where to auto turn them back on. How do i get them to automatically login?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Autologon, use an account that doesn't have a lot of rights and doesn't use a password you reuse anywhere else, because it is very insecure.

And also get UPSes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Autologon, use an account that doesn't have a lot of rights and doesn't use a password you reuse anywhere else, because it is very insecure.

And also get UPSes.

This. Auto-logon is not a great idea, so use a very limited service account that has a strong password. If you are a larger company with (lol) good AD, see if you can implement LAPS and have the password change ever 15-30 days.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

pfsense is like the epitome of what a good small business firewall is, because you just need 2-3 NICs and some old enterprise hardware and it'll run for years without intervention.

We never did it for clients, but the msp I used to work for did this for its internal network for almost a decade.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

This is a classic mistake, and I'm not saying that meanly, but rather to contextualize it. Lots of people make that mistake, and it's totally OK.

The sooner you are collecting stats and logging data and metadata in a permanent, searchable form, the better off you will be.

At some point in your tenure, someone is going to say 'My fleem has been broken for 6 months and you haven't done anything about it! I'm losing 4 productive hours each day because of it, I need you to drop what you're doing and fix it now or I'll get the CEO to fire you!'

If you have a ticketing system where literally everything is logged you can then search it and either say' oh, poo poo, you're right, looks like I've fixed it 4 times in the last month alone. Let's get CEO to approve a new gargleblaster for you, that will fix it' or you say 'huh, that's weird, I log literally every single request everyone has ever made of me, and I can't find one at all, can you show me the last email you sent me about it?'

If you don't have a ticketing system, or an excel spreadsheet or whatever, you get to hem and haw and not necessarily look the most competent.

Obviously this is a fictional contrived example, and workplace culture and politics do vary quite a bit from place to place, but you will be doing future you a great service by looking into one of the free solutions people have posted and trying it out sooner rather than later. Your users don't need to know about it yet, nor does the CEO if it's just a system you use to make sure you're getting to everyone's requests in a timely manner and tracking that they are completed permanently to everyone's satisfaction, as well as recording what solutions you used to save time in the future if the same problem reoccurs. Those are good things.

And keep posting here and asking questions.

Excellent points, thank you. I didn't consider that I could just use the ticketing system myself instead of making the users go through it.

I love love love documentation and data because sometimes it seems I have the memory of a goldfish. I used to carry around one of those fieldbook things before I got used to using my smartphone for notes and whatnot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

At some point in your tenure, someone is going to say 'My fleem has been broken for 6 months and you haven't done anything about it! I'm losing 4 productive hours each day because of it, I need you to drop what you're doing and fix it now or I'll get the CEO to fire you!'

If you have a ticketing system where literally everything is logged you can then search it and either say' oh, poo poo, you're right, looks like I've fixed it 4 times in the last month alone. Let's get CEO to approve a new gargleblaster for you, that will fix it' or you say 'huh, that's weird, I log literally every single request everyone has ever made of me, and I can't find one at all, can you show me the last email you sent me about it?'

If you don't have a ticketing system, or an excel spreadsheet or whatever, you get to hem and haw and not necessarily look the most competent.

This is the not-so-hidden but most important power of a ticketing system.

Like mentioned you don’t have to tell anyone about it but having a well structured database recording work that you have done pays for itself many times over.

Just start with the free tier of fresh desk and enter everything yourself. It has an email connector so you can just forward emails to it as a starting point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So I know you don't really want a ticketing system, but it's definitely worth having one even if you're the only person who ever interacts with it (e.g. you forward emails into it from your mailbox, the ticketing system never emails your colleagues) just because it's a way of storing a load of notes alongside a 5-digit number, and that number can be the comment on a firewall rule or shoved in the subject line of an email to an external vendor. Just as a way of tracking what past you did, a ticketing system is really useful.

LionYeti posted:

I'm trying to figure this out and google is being unhelpful I have 8 or so HP computers that power our conference rooms. We have flakey power to the office so they'll shut off every now and then. Found in bios where to auto turn them back on. How do i get them to automatically login?

I'd get an electrician before I got a UPS, if power is dropping in and out on a circuit then you could have a junction box somewhere that is getting nice and warm.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 9, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sickening posted:

I would buy a rumba.

I probably will at some point. Mainly I kinda don't care. My carpet is 20 years old, what's left of it. Theoretically I was putting down bamboo flooring, but the plan for that room keeps encountering feature creep, much like any IT project.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Like others have said, a ticket system will save you lots of arguments. The amount of times I've had people try to say, "well I sent you an email last quarter about it" only for me to counter with "well it must not have been that important or else you'd open a ticket for it".

A ticket system is also helpful for when you need to bring on more staff or replace equipment. "Hey Boss, as you can see I'm getting 10 tickets a day so I need an extra set of hands" or "Hey Boss, we get three tickets a week about this printer, maybe we need to replace it?". Also really handy in case there are budget cuts and you end up in a, "So what would you say you do here?" conversation.

A phrase I live by is, "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it."

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh I've got no problem with having a ticket system myself, I just knew the coworkers and owner would pitch a fit. I just hadn't considered keeping it as a personal deployment. There are few things more satisfying than smacking someone talking poo poo with comprehensive documentation and making a fool of them.

I'm gonna set up FreshDesk today.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The Fool posted:

We never did it for clients, but the msp I used to work for did this for its internal network for almost a decade.

We run pfSense on campus and a few small remote sites, it's a great platform. Recently put in a 10Gbps TNSR router that I'm very pleased with as well that cost 1/10th of Juniper/Cisco

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CloFan posted:

We run pfSense on campus and a few small remote sites, it's a great platform. Recently put in a 10Gbps TNSR router that I'm very pleased with as well that cost 1/10th of Juniper/Cisco

I use pfsense for all my homelab routing/segmentation. Its a workhorse. Been trying out OPNSense which has the same feel, but supposed to have some more Security features.

https://teklager.se/en/pfsense-vs-opnsense/#:~:text=OPNsense%20has%20slightly%20better%20security,fewer%20releases%20and%20ZFS%20support.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
We use PFSense on our own networks and often deploy it for the use of OpenVPN with some of our clients. I personally use it at home, running on a cheap old Dell T30, with several 10g NICs connecting my own PC and my FreeNAS. +1 for PFSense, all you need are 2-3 NICs and an old PC for solid performance that will last years.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I ran a help desk out of a gmail inbox for a year implementing ERPs and man did it suck doing poo poo so manually but it still paid off in being able to tell people to gently caress off for not communicating clearly.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our previous security architect was a crazy person so we have 2x Palo Alto 3250s at each of our core offices which only have 10 - 15 people in them. Lmao.

Literally all of our traffic is VPN'd into Prisma Access VPN so they are complete and utter overkill.

TNSR uses FRR under the hood which is what I use for the linux routers we have in our AWS Transit Gateway and GCP Transit Gateway (ok that doesn't exist but I made it a thing) and they handle terabits of traffic a day no problem. Love Linux based routing.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 10, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Given how often companies are getting owned these days, I think being absurdly cautious is actually kinda nice.

As long as it's not tainted by pedantic security, like requiring reciting OTP's over the phone because someone decided sending them over internal email was too risky.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

Given how often companies are getting owned these days, I think being absurdly cautious is actually kinda nice.

As long as it's not tainted by pedantic security, like requiring reciting OTP's over the phone because someone decided sending them over internal email was too risky.

I think he was talking more about the cost and bandwidth those firewalls are meant to be for. I specced and installed a 3220 HA pair for our 4.5-5k organisation and they're not even close to being maxed out.

Also the security engineer where I am has been dealing with this PrintNightmare poo poo all week. Saw a random comment from my boss where he isn't worried about something like this because, "remember they have to hack us to exploit it." I think he genuinely believes the only way we're ever going to get breached is if someone sets an outside -> in rule on an internet firewall by accident and some hacker types his way in like a loving CSI episode or some poo poo. Probably explains why they're going from two separate, back to back edge firewalls to three but they won't let me do any microsegmentation.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 10, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
currently in hour 6 of a friday incident. volunteered to lead it at 4:10 because it had been awhile, and i hoped it would be done quick. I'm going to be surprised if I get out tonight before midnight or 1am, and then it's back at it for 9am tomorrow!

it's affected a huge customer so basically every single exec and our CTO joined the slack channel hanging on my every word/update. and I'm 100% going to be working all weekend on this.

and to make matters worse, this is my last weekend with my family in the states! I'm flying back to Canada Sunday and I'm going to be working all day tomorrow on this too :(

on the plus side lots of brownie points at work... and I get lieu days for overtime... but man this sucks.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Thanks Ants posted:

So I know you don't really want a ticketing system, but it's definitely worth having one even if you're the only person who ever interacts with it (e.g. you forward emails into it from your mailbox, the ticketing system never emails your colleagues) just because it's a way of storing a load of notes alongside a 5-digit number, and that number can be the comment on a firewall rule or shoved in the subject line of an email to an external vendor. Just as a way of tracking what past you did, a ticketing system is really useful.

This is also a really good habit to ever get into if you move towards more complex enterprises. Every firewall change I make has a ticket # in the commit notes. There are plenty of tickets I have where I make a comment like 'I'm pretty certain this broke because of the changes in ticket #34567' and attach it to the original case so that everything can be tracked and understood to be the complex connected web of systems that they are.

Similarly, you should be logging support tickets from 3rd party vendors in your own tickets for the offensive analogs of the defensive reasons I listed earlier. "Hey Dell, I had a bad DIMM in SR23456 last month and a different one in SR78910 2 months before that, and I just had a third DIMM go bad yesterday. Give me a new motherboard."

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh man why didn't I start using OneNote years ago, this poo poo is so much better than a thousand loving word documents scattered around in folders. I'm still learning all the keyboard shortcuts so I don't have to deal with a mouse, but for now I'm just vomiting thoughts into it and adding all the knowledgebase and how-to articles I've been bookmarking like crazy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have never been able to figure out OneNote. It might be too free-form for my old rigid mind.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This was a few years ago, but OneNote hosed me over by eating my notebook. Gave it another go, and it ended up corrupting another. It scared me back to my (knockoff) moleskine notebooks for a while. I'm now starting to use Notability with an iPad for meeting notes, but I'll never trust OneNote.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I found out on Friday we are moving away from gsuite/zoom in favor of o365/teams. Hope it goes live after the IPO so I can just peace out and not deal with teams

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Iron Rose posted:

and to make matters worse, this is my last weekend with my family in the states! I'm flying back to Canada Sunday and I'm going to be working all day tomorrow on this too :(

on the plus side lots of brownie points at work... and I get lieu days for overtime... but man this sucks.

Screw that, work can afford to let you extend your stay. The higher cost of a plane ticket out Wednesday is peanuts compared to this outage. Even if all your family works during the day, buy yourself a couple of evenings with them (and days to rest).

e.

Proteus Jones posted:

This was a few years ago, but OneNote hosed me over by eating my notebook. Gave it another go, and it ended up corrupting another. It scared me back to my (knockoff) moleskine notebooks for a while. I'm now starting to use Notability with an iPad for meeting notes, but I'll never trust OneNote.

We had somebody lose her hard drive to what looked like an internal power surge. Crashplan had stopped backing up her laptop because of one of the stupidest engineering decisions I've ever seen [1]. But she does everything in One Note ! A local copy. She'd never once signed in to sync it. She had to tell her boss that all two years of her work was just gone.

[1] Crashplan assigns a GUID to each client. If it sees the same GUID connecting from multiple IPs, they assume that there's a duplicate GUID and stops backing them up (if there's any notification for this event, either we didn't enable it or the lack of a responsible Crashplan SME/SPOC person hurt us). The first time that came up we got Code42 engineers involved. They sent back a table of 5 IP/GUID/timestamp entries and basically "see ?of course it stopped".

I got a location for each five IPs:

Comcast-residential on the Penninsula.
SFO public wifi
ATL public wifi
BRN public wifi (Berne International in Switzerland)
Wifi for a hotel near global HQ.

I sent that back with "it's a loving laptop ! Why do you think people have them ?". They weren't impressed. I was impressed, but not positively.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 11, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 11, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

There was a big to-do I found about OneNote Win10 not doing backups or some poo poo, which was great because Microsoft said they were going to be phasing out support for ON 2016, which does do backups, so everyone switched from the deprecated platform. Some dude lost like 8 years of work and a month of time battling with Microsoft support trying to figure the poo poo out. I didn't read to the end of the thread but dude went on a crusade around the internet banging pots and pans about it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mllaneza posted:

Screw that, work can afford to let you extend your stay. The higher cost of a plane ticket out Wednesday is peanuts compared to this outage. Even if all your family works during the day, buy yourself a couple of evenings with them (and days to rest).

Not an outage, also the rest of the family are flying home Sunday too :v:

Anyways, 160 engineer hours later, we have found no root cause for this customer’s migration issues, no real evidence to point us in any helpful direction, and we’ve chased down sooooo many false leads.

We’ve also burnt about $15-20k in eng hours + compute/storage… because we needed to restore database backups for every day for a month because we have no loving logging ahhhhhhh. Anyways I’ve a meeting with the CEO Monday so that’ll be fun :v:

Not that I’m worried, leadership loves me for handling this. But I’d rather brownies with grandma than brownie points at work.

Anyways made the call to break for the weekend. I’ll be busy flying, we need more SMEs, more info from the customer. It’s a shitshow lol. We’ve a bunch of other customers we’ve also gotta migrate and expiring contracts so very much between a rock and a hard place.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 11, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s a shitshow lol.

But is it at least rewarding? I bet when you figure out this sort of poo poo it feels really good.

Just looking at my future, I guess :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It doesn't feel good. It feels stupid that that much effort was wasted on some nonsense.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hey thread I recently started in a new midlevel IT analyst role at my org and I’m looking for a good strategy for tracking active and pending projects that aren’t covered by a ticketing system. I’m on a niche IT team in a very big organization with site and enterprise levels, and projects will disappear into others’ domains for weeks or months sometimes.

I’m hoping to establish some good habits but haven’t found a great way to personally keep tabs on moving pieces, and this role has more of this than my previous one. My team has a Sharepoint but ughhhhhhh to using that as my primary, at-a-glance reference.

Any suggestions or starting points? How do you like to track your ongoing work?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BadSamaritan posted:

Hey thread I recently started in a new midlevel IT analyst role at my org and I’m looking for a good strategy for tracking active and pending projects that aren’t covered by a ticketing system. I’m on a niche IT team in a very big organization with site and enterprise levels, and projects will disappear into others’ domains for weeks or months sometimes.

I’m hoping to establish some good habits but haven’t found a great way to personally keep tabs on moving pieces, and this role has more of this than my previous one. My team has a Sharepoint but ughhhhhhh to using that as my primary, at-a-glance reference.

Any suggestions or starting points? How do you like to track your ongoing work?

Planner/tasks(which is sadly sharepoint) is a zero cost item and decent for small items.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I track my own tasks in MS Planner and it works fine. It's very basic (can't do dependencies :wtc:) but at least you can group tasks under different projects, which puts it ahead of something like the tasks in Outlook. Also sends you emails when things are due.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I really like Trello, but honestly anything works just as long as you get the team to buy in and support it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve been using notion.so for personal notes/tasks for about a year now and it’s worked quite well for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really like Trello, but honestly anything works just as long as you get the team to buy in and support it.

Yeah, OP is definitely looking for something Kanban-y. Ideally they'd get buy in at a level high enough above them that someone can benefit from the big picture. But they can always make lanes based on where the card for the project went, and add notes when they do followups. There's enough automation in Trello that it should be able to color code or otherwise highlight projects that are getting stale.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Got FreshDesk set up today. Goddamn all the default contact poo poo is annoying. The sample tickets made me think I'd somehow got logged into someone else's profile.

I created 20+ internal tickets :suicide:

Will I be able to set up a RADIUS server type deal in AAD or will I need AADDS? I've seen conflicting reports online. I'm currently tethering my phone to my laptop to comply with the owners decree that no smartphones are allowed on the company wifi for security reasons but I'd like to go back to not maxing out my mobile data every month. Is that even a reasonable policy? What should I do to secure BYOD smartphones?

One more question: should I use a third party RDP app like TeamViewer or can I get by with Windows tools like RDCM?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 12, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
drat right it is.

https://twitter.com/mkr_ultra/status/1414331942842081280

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:agreed:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We can't hire people outside the US and I've seen the kind of people we hire for 2nd or 3rd shift. That would just be more stressful for me than being on call at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're trying to hire on site IT for one of our manufacturing plants. Basically an IT kids first job type deal. Can't find anyone. Pay seems legit for a first job and location, 45-50k. Just 8-5 no on call and no OT.