Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Chaplains can be good: The catholic chaplain they sent us for Christmas who showed up with candy and wine and sat there smiling and nodding as the wine got chugged and the candy got scarfed.

Chaplains can be not good: The weird southern Baptist who randomly showed up and went on some weird fire and brimstone rant that people started to slowly walk out of.

To tie it all together psychiatrists aren’t perfect either: The weird one at Sheppard who had a massive hard on for the power he had over all of the students and fresh airman who got assigned to work for him right from the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I don't think they're unnecessary, I just don't think they should be a military component. Have them be DoD civilians or something.

If they're outside of the military structure that means they aren't available in combat environments, and for people who lean on their faith, that's when they're most needed. Furthermore, military chaplains are officially recognized under international rules of warfare.

They serve a purpose and they're traditional. I don't see how removing them from the military as an institution improves the services they provide or enhances the readiness of the armed forces.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
God knows if it's traditional then it must be good

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

How many dress uniforms has the army had now?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You know drat well that American military services are stuck anywhere between 50 to 100 years in the past. Nothing short of a major military defeat that causes that collapse of the government will change that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

How many dress uniforms has the army had now?

Since I've been in I've had 3 different ones.

I'm supposed to be retiring soon and some knucklehead just texted me to ask if my maroon passport is up to date. lol

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hey guys tell me if I'm an idiot because I may need to hear that from you all.

I'm moving to Colorado, the place where i'm working at gives a pension, and seems appropriate to work in that hospital for the next 20 years to grab a decent pension. On top of that, I'm considering *yet again* another comeback into the military, this time with the army reserves/guard.

I looked at units in the Colorado guard/reserves, what seems interesting is Psyops, and then the infantry units within the guard. I know they have an SF unit there but i'll be the ripe ol' age of 35 and I can only assume that going through SF training at 35 is probably a ridiculous feat.

Anywho, anyone who has insight on the colorado guard/reserve or if I'm just being an idiot and shouldn't even consider this would be appreciated.

I will post a picture of a cute dog for reparations for asking such a dumb question

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

How many years do you have in?

Good things about the Guard are Tricare, education assistance, and retirement.

Bad things are deployments to gently caress up your regular life, you still have to put up with the military BS, and it's a lot more of a good ol' boys club than active duty.

I'd stay out of the infantry and try to find some non-Hooah MOS to go into. They'll send you to school for it. Depending on how long you've been out you may have to go back through BCT. Just be mindful of any service obligations you pick up for any schools you go to.

Also, drill weekend and annual training are guaranteed to fall on days when you want to do something else.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colorado has about 5,000 guardsmen.

You will be the bottom of the totem pole in that small group. What that means is that anything fun/cool will be taken up by literally everyone else.

What you can do is ask their recruiter what MOS's they're hurting on that have room/openings for promotion. You can join up and head to school for whatever MOS that is.

I know you probably want to do fun/cool stuff, but we ain't 20 anymore and you need to have a plan to squeeze the Army for money/benefits for as little work/suffering as possible.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't do grunt poo poo. Your too old

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Army is a dumb, young man's game. You aren't either (anymore)

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Nice and hot piss posted:

Hey guys tell me if I'm an idiot because I may need to hear that from you all.

I'm moving to Colorado, the place where i'm working at gives a pension, and seems appropriate to work in that hospital for the next 20 years to grab a decent pension. On top of that, I'm considering *yet again* another comeback into the military, this time with the army reserves/guard.

I looked at units in the Colorado guard/reserves, what seems interesting is Psyops, and then the infantry units within the guard. I know they have an SF unit there but i'll be the ripe ol' age of 35 and I can only assume that going through SF training at 35 is probably a ridiculous feat.

Anywho, anyone who has insight on the colorado guard/reserve or if I'm just being an idiot and shouldn't even consider this would be appreciated.

I will post a picture of a cute dog for reparations for asking such a dumb question

I wrote a huge effort post but decided to just say you're probably an idiot. Do tell us more about why you think the guard or reserves is a good idea for you and we can be more specific with a tailor-made approach about how you are an idiot.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Why army guard when there’s a perfectly good air national guard that exists? Same pay, but way less military bullshit. Hell, we don’t even really salute in my wing outside of giving out awards and stuff.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Air Guard is harder to get into if you are prior service and not AF, in my exp. The PA Air Guard wouldn't take me period, even what I offered to go back to Basic. Told me unless I was AF, there were a handful of slots, and a wait list.

Could have been full of poo poo, I dunno.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think last night I had a lapse in judgement with the idea of going SF and whatnot. I still need 12 years of time in service to qualify for bennies and after considering the idea that if I were even able to pass SFAS and SFQC I'm going to be doing this well into my late 40's. Granted I am still very fit now, doesn't mean I won't be a pile of broken joints by the age of 45.

I need to re-eval my thoughts on getting back in but as a medical professional, since knocking out 12 years as a nurse or even something with my paramedic license seems to be like playing army on easy mode.

Thanks everyone, I apologize for my transgressions

brains
May 12, 2004

I think last night I had a lapse in judgement with the idea of going SF and whatnot. I still need 12 years of time in service to qualify for bennies and after considering the idea that if I were even able to pass SFAS and SFQC I'm going to be doing this well into my late 40's. Granted I am still very fit now, doesn't mean I won't be a pile of broken joints by the age of 45.

I need to re-eval my thoughts on getting back in but as a medical professional, since knocking out 12 years as a nurse or even something with my paramedic license seems to be like playing army on easy mode.

Thanks everyone, I apologize for my transgressions

let me just say that the odds of you passing selection and the Q course from walking in off the street at the age of 35 are....low. and you *do not* want to be a 35-year old SF contract drop who is now a Needs Of The Army.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

brains posted:

let me just say that the odds of you passing selection and the Q course from walking in off the street at the age of 35 are....low. and you *do not* want to be a 35-year old SF contract drop who is now a Needs Of The Army.

Yeah. A buddy I work with went through SFAS, failed language school, and when we were taking he stated "yeah, you can get through selection*. He mentioned that he was with dudes in their mid 30's and some 46 year old officer going through and made it.

But the conversation switched to "after I got dropped I got sent to the 82nd with the infantry" which has been a topic of epic ranting conversations the last 2 years I've worked with him.

So I'll go ahead and just scratch that off the list

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
You can always try with the guard. If you fail, you'll just go right back to your SF unit.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Time Crisis Actor posted:

You can always try with the guard. If you fail, you'll just go right back to your SF unit.

Can't tell if this is legit or you're a recruiter lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you're a nurse, and able to find the medical officer recruiter, you might get a commission out of it.

I saw a civilian nurse off the street get captain once based on education, experience, and the fact they really needed nurses.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

spacetoaster posted:

If you're a nurse, and able to find the medical officer recruiter, you might get a commission out of it.

I saw a civilian nurse off the street get captain once based on education, experience, and the fact they really needed nurses.

As a bonus, the only available RN slots in the Guard are typically in medical units, so either one of the C-MED units or the Med Det. IMO, Med Det is the better deal of the two, since their job normally revolves around medical readiness versus treatment; field time isn't really a thing outside of weapons qual, since drills/AT mostly revolve around physicals, shots, etc for entire units at a time. YMMV from state to state, some do even less than that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've been reached out by a lot of AMEDD recruiters that want ER nurses bad, which I am. I just never really wanted to do what I do in the civvy world to cross into the guard, because where else are you gonna shoot a 249 or 240B?!

But as time goes on I understand that it's not all about being super hooah, however I just need to get to my next destination, get settled and figure out life then.

I hear army cooks are cool

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

For the record, the CA/PsyOps unit in CO is Reserve, not Guard. I’ve been idly considering trying to join that unit off and on over the last couple of years. When I talked to the local recruiter though he didn’t even know the unit existed so that hasn’t inspired confidence.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

because where else are you gonna shoot a 249 or 240B?!

Vegas? On a trip? Don't be stupid for something that you can just pay money to do, this is America

E: poo poo I can drive a tank and crush cars like, an hour north of me in Atlanta all while blasting .50cal

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

For the record, the CA/PsyOps unit in CO is Reserve, not Guard. I’ve been idly considering trying to join that unit off and on over the last couple of years. When I talked to the local recruiter though he didn’t even know the unit existed so that hasn’t inspired confidence.

Yeah my buddy(ies) went into PsyOps in 06 and '10 respectively, I feel like I have a general understanding of what it's like, granted only from word of mouth and dated about a decade go. Fully aware it's a reserve and not guard ordeal.

also I was being sarcastic with the 249 and 240. I have cleaned/shot enough of those in my life that I've absolutely got my fill.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Great, just excuse my presumption that you were serious seeing as you are talking about re-enlisting

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Carteret posted:

Great, just excuse my presumption that you were serious seeing as you are talking about re-enlisting

Serious in terms of re-enlisting? sure. The idea that whatever I do MUST involve shooting guns? Maybe 3-4 years ago but now I'm just considering something that I could see myself not hating one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer *terms and conditions may vary*

just stating in my previous post that my thought process of re-enlisting/commissioning have changed quite a bit.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Serious in terms of re-enlisting? sure. The idea that whatever I do MUST involve shooting guns? Maybe 3-4 years ago but now I'm just considering something that I could see myself not hating one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer *terms and conditions may vary*

just stating in my previous post that my thought process of re-enlisting/commissioning have changed quite a bit.

I don't know where you get your ideas about the guard from but the idea that it's only drill and annual training is something from the '90s.

Nowadays it deploys all the time so you'll be having fun in your civilian life then count rugen will call you up on the phone and say I've just sucked away one year of your life how does that feel?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just enlist 18 X-ray, poo poo

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Other than 2020 I've averaged around 2 months in uniform every year I've been in the guard. ATs are never only 2 weeks anymore.. at the least they stick a few drill days on the front and/or back or the orders to extend them. Most units these days won't let you skip an AT if you've done schools or something else, so have fun doing 3 weeks of BLC and then still having a 2+ week AT to look forward to.

Oh and the new hotness is to take all the drill days from one month, add some more funding to generate more days, then lump it all together into a "super-MUTA" where you go to the field somewhere for a mini-AT of 7-8 days.

From what I understand the reserves are still closer to that traditional view of a weekend per month and a 2 week AT. The guard is not. In fact I have more friends than not that had their world flipped in this past year with state active duty orders for various missions during the pandemic lockdowns, the capitol mission, or in-state rioting. Some of those friends are in a brigade that just got warned for a deployment; most of them came off those state orders around last December and rolled right into doing enough IDT days between January and May to be covered for the FY. Then they did a JRTC rotation for 5 weeks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The guard now has a joint chief. The place I work at is full of guardsmen and all the coms (southcom, northcom, centcom, etc) are pulling guardsmen onto active duty for 1+ year tours constantly.

I mean, it's kinda nice to go spend a year in south america getting all your diving certifications.

The real problem (for the national guard soldiers) is that the last 20 years of war have shown the top brass that the national guard is pretty loving effective and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than active duty.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just enlist 18 X-ray, poo poo

That’s just Infantry with extra steps

Literally depending on how far into SFAS or Q course you are.

E: actually in hindsight doing the Navy equivalent; going to BUD/S then failing and then getting sent undesignated for me ended up being the best thing ever now that I’m out since now I still have tons of disability rating out of the documentation on injuries I piled up there without having to kill anyone, or you know other team guy things like try to sodomize green berets and murder them as part of a cocaine smuggling ring.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 10, 2021

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am so loving happy to be out of the NG.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

EBB posted:

I am so loving happy to be out.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EBB posted:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I’m so loving happy that there’s gonna be a new Mustang so we can all enjoy the schaudenfreud. (gently caress spelling).

Alternatively, I’m equally excited at the remote possibility that we get a guy who’s a good fit for the NG with his life and career and reaps the benefits of service with minimal bullshit.

It does happen. I had a charmed career until about 9 years in, so maybe he can pull that off and retire and be a happy guy.

Either way, I applaud you, look forward to seeing how it goes, and if you wonder if anyone’s in your corner, know that old Shim always will be. Mind you I’ll be high in your corner because I can do that as a retiree.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I never understood why this forum generally dogpiles on anyone who says they've got a service goal they're looking to get after. The machine isn't going away, if someone wants to go and accomplish something in it, cool. That's all them. What's the utility in calling them and idiot and saying they're going to fail, other than just kind of being a broke brained dickhead on the internet?

Should clarify I mean anyone who's in or been in. Anyone looking to join should be told 'don't do that' and if they can't be talked out of it harm reductioned in to that job handing out towels at the gym in the Air Force

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 10, 2021

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

I never understood why this forum generally dogpiles on anyone who says they've got a service goal they're looking to get after. The machine isn't going away, if someone wants to go and accomplish something in it, cool. That's all them. What's the utility in calling them and idiot and saying they're going to fail, other than just kind of being a broke brained dickhead on the internet?

Should clarify I mean anyone who's in or been in. Anyone looking to join should be told 'don't do that' and if they can't be talked out of it harm reductioned in to that job handing out towels at the gym in the Air Force

Can confirm, pro job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I was an 18X.

Let me tell you about how the two months I spent at Camp Mackall resulted a decade later in a knee that hurts every day, and about 30% disability.