Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Please, white chuds wouldn't last two months before contracting cholera because they'd be too proud to boil water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1413512766644625410

Ontario take the lead in the race to be the dumbest province in Canada

Great radio clip from the Waterloo medical officer of health this morning, saying essentially, "Yes our cases are still high, and they're all Delta, but we are still entering Phase 2 on Monday. Get vaccinated!"

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

PittTheElder posted:

Lol you say that as if Alberta hadn't removed all restrictions over a week ago, and doesn't have the Calgary Stampede in a couple days.

Well it's more that Alberta's population is smaller than Toronto, so yes this is reasonable to say Doug is dumber.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

nearly 80% of ontario has received a vaccine dose and just over 50% of 12+ have received 2.

One third of Ontario has no doses, and over 70 percent are not even a single week past getting their second dose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PittTheElder posted:

Lol you say that as if Alberta hadn't removed all restrictions over a week ago, and doesn't have the Calgary Stampede in a couple days.

Pleads posted:

And yeah, Ontario is 2 weeks behind the Open 'Er Up Alberta train. Try harder Doug Ford (plz don't).

lol. Welp.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The particularly galling thing to me has been the cities discarding their mask mandates so fast. Masks are such a tiny, insignificant thing, that protect a large part of the non-vaccinated population (which at this point is still most of the population). Just stick to your guns and require them indoors until the second vaccination rate comes up. :smith:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PittTheElder posted:

The particularly galling thing to me has been the cities discarding their mask mandates so fast. Masks are such a tiny, insignificant thing, that protect a large part of the non-vaccinated population (which at this point is still most of the population). Just stick to your guns and require them indoors until the second vaccination rate comes up. :smith:

Calgary city council was frustrating as gently caress to watch.

Farkas (UCP lapdog and conservative who didn't get bullied enough kept screaming WHY DONT YOU TRUST THE SCIENCE and asking the city how many epidemiologists they had (the city had actually like 100 though a Harvard city network). Also why don't you trust the chief medical officer?!?!? (the cabinet makes the recommendations not the CMO)

We delayed lifting the mask mandate by about a week, Edmonton's was atleast close we ended up 10-4.

Wow the numbers are going down yay us, this has never happened before when schools were out and we clearly have no lessons to learn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's odd, I don't mind wearing a mask still in some cases, and I don't mind not wearing a mask or being around maskless people. It's a complete non-issue for me and I can't bring myself to get worked up for either side now that I'm double-vaxxed.

And, not-online, it seems most people are generally doing that. Everywhere I've gone has been a mix of masks and not-masks, and no one's getting upset or yelling or anything.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I can't say I especially care now either. I don't like wearing a mask but I also know we're almost out of this thing so why can't people just stop acting like toddlers and be patient.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i want ONE marshmallow and i want it RIGHT NOW!!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

And, not-online, it seems most people are generally doing that. Everywhere I've gone has been a mix of masks and not-masks, and no one's getting upset or yelling or anything.
My partner and I were being very confrontational with maskless people in our building's common areas during the winter. At this point we've given up since we're both double vaxxed, most people in our area have one or both doses, cases are a fraction of what they were, and we're just so tired of getting in people's faces about doing the bare minimum to mitigate a loving plague. It's just not worth the fight anymore, and we've more or less figured out who the assholes in our building are thanks to this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So Manitoba hit the second "goal" for reopening well ahead of the August Long Weekend, and Pallister... has said he's going to wait before easing restrictions again. I'm scared, he's actually doing something... sensible? During the pandemic? I mean, I know stopped clock and all that, but still... what? Who is this man and why couldn't he have been running the province sooner?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol yesterday during O'Toole's latest limp dicked news conference he said that Conservatives would help BC pay for the SkyTrain development.

Today Trudeau and McKenna were in BC announcing funding for the SkyTrain during the latest stop on the PM's Western Canada trip.

When is the last time O'Toole has made a public appearance where he's spoken to actual people and not businesses and shareholders? When is the last time he's had a policy announcement that wasn't playing catch up to shot the federal government has already announced or planned to announce?

How bad do conservative leaders have to be to get dunked on by Justin loving Trudeau.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
They've probably run focus groups and figured out any public appearance does more harm than good so they'll hide him in a cave until election day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No wonder he's pale as milk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Randalor posted:

So Manitoba hit the second "goal" for reopening well ahead of the August Long Weekend, and Pallister... has said he's going to wait before easing restrictions again. I'm scared, he's actually doing something... sensible? During the pandemic? I mean, I know stopped clock and all that, but still... what? Who is this man and why couldn't he have been running the province sooner?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

gently caress Pallister. He's delaying cause they have no idea what the gently caress to do and didn't plan poo poo. So now that we're ahead they are scrambling. gently caress HIM

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah I read it as the MB PCs set plans with arbitrary goals and measures and anything that deviates from the plan, even when it's a positive like people vaccinating faster than expected, is to be ignored. It's rare that PC bullheaded policy results in something good, but I still see it for what it is.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Pleads posted:

I got my second Pfizer dose yesterday, had about an hour of getting way too hot and wondering if I was gonna be one of those 103 degree fever havers, but then I cooled off and went to bed and this morning I just have a sore arm and my brain feels like it's running at about 50%.

I'll take it.

And yeah, Ontario is 2 weeks behind the Open 'Er Up Alberta train. Try harder Doug Ford (plz don't).

e: The Nashville North tent will require proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter, loving lol the cowboy chuds are going to rage.

The open'er up train that is being led by BC, which reopened indoor dining at the end of May (and only closed it at the end of March).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol the bald thumbtack is out in Calgary propping up Kenney's whining about equalization being unfair for Albertans.

Which one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The current seatwarmer for Lego Hair Harper.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I just want to bask in the fact that Vancouver's SkyTrain rapid transit system is just so loving popular and beloved that politicians of every stripe are publicly tripping over themselves to fund more of it.

Seriously. It's really quite wonderful to see.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh lovely, I wasn't able to book my second dose sooner than a day after they open up Ontario.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

sitchensis posted:

I just want to bask in the fact that Vancouver's SkyTrain rapid transit system is just so loving popular and beloved that politicians of every stripe are publicly tripping over themselves to fund more of it.

Seriously. It's really quite wonderful to see.

Turns out people like well-funded mass transit systems. Who would have thought?

Oh the entirety of europe? Ok then.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pleads posted:

e: The Nashville North tent will require proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter, loving lol the cowboy chuds are going to rage.
Well,

https://twitter.com/lizzyinyyc/status/1413226581128998915?s=19

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Turns out people like well-funded mass transit systems. Who would have thought?

Oh the entirety of europe? Ok then.

Europe? Whats that? We can only be marginally better than the USA at things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sashimi posted:

My partner and I were being very confrontational with maskless people in our building's common areas during the winter. At this point we've given up since we're both double vaxxed, most people in our area have one or both doses, cases are a fraction of what they were, and we're just so tired of getting in people's faces about doing the bare minimum to mitigate a loving plague. It's just not worth the fight anymore, and we've more or less figured out who the assholes in our building are thanks to this.

Yeah, it’s this. I spent so long giving a poo poo and acting on it that I’m all out of fucks to give. It’s poo poo for those who can’t be vaccinated but I can’t bring myself to give a gently caress at this point. I’ll wear the mask anywhere people don’t tell me they’re okay with not masking, and that’s where it ends for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hot prediction: Ontario going into stage 3 is not going to lead to a significant spike in hospitalizations or deaths, even if it does lead to an increase in cases. Our vax numbers are solid and improving significantly every day. A single dose offers good protection against severe illness (including delta) and a lot of the holdouts are in the demographic that's lower risk for severe covid anyway.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

prom candy posted:

Hot prediction: Ontario going into stage 3 is not going to lead to a significant spike in hospitalizations or deaths, even if it does lead to an increase in cases. Our vax numbers are solid and improving significantly every day. A single dose offers good protection against severe illness (including delta) and a lot of the holdouts are in the demographic that's lower risk for severe covid anyway.

I'd agree, but I think the summer is gonna be a big part of it; people are spending a lot of time outdoors and like last year that's gonna keep cases low. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the winter, when people are inside all the time and when most if not all restrictions will likely have ended; that'll be when we see how successful our vaccine program was.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I really wish we lived in a world where we could have a global, centralized, easy-to-verify vaccine tracking system without it being used to hurt the people it's supposed to protect.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

prom candy posted:

Yeah, I can't really fault the Ontario plan all that much. Shame that it needed us to almost completely destroy our healthcare system for the tories to give their heads a shake.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

prom candy posted:

For real, in no way does this phase 3 opening make Ontario in the race for dumbest province. We've had stricter rules (while also being inconsistent and confusing in parts) than most (all?) other provinces and definitely for longer.
These phase 3 rules are still more restrictive than anything BC ever did I believe.

Personally I would have wanted them to wait the whole length of the waiting period and not do it early but it's still acceptable to me. Canada continues to vaccinate well over 1% of the population per day. At some point you gotta roll back the doomsaying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's dumb because they had a plan, experts supported the plan, they insisted they were sticking to that plan, and then they caved to industry groups and agreed to open early and without any restrictions on indoor dining (guess why). My concern is specifically the reaction to any measurable increase in daily case counts following the stage 3 re-opening, because they've gone from "do nothing about it " to "panic and lock everything down" over the winter and I am wholly loving done with these idiotic, arbitrary, yo-yoing restrictions.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I've said this before, but the actual vaccination targets were the dumbest thing in Ontario and probably led to more pressure to open up early. It was obvious from the second that the plan was released that we were going to hit the targets WAY ahead of when we could move into the different stages based on the timing thresholds, which led to this weird situation where people could look at exactly the same data and half thinks we're rushing things and the other half thinks we're dragging our heels.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
At least because it's July they can't open up schools way too early again.

Please don't turn into a real life Beaverton article send kids back to school in July or August.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We're doing better than last year at this time on case counts and I don't know that indoor dining has been linked to any outbreaks here (if only because we haven't had any since last year), so my concerns aren't specifically about the public health impact so much as again arbitrarily deciding to ignore our own framework for safely reopening because, again, we've decided that it's inconvenient. And given the outcomes of the previous times we've ignored our own system for reopening, I'm somewhat concerned that the government will decide to do something entirely useless and arbitrary in response to any kind of increase in case counts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wonder if the vaccine targets were chosen in part by a desire to hold onto the false narrative that Trudeau had failed to secure enough vaccines in good time so that Ontario could deflect from how badly its rollout started (what with falsely claiming they had vaccinated twice as many people as they actually had, sitting on tens of thousands of unused doses out if paranoia they would need them later in the event new shipments stopped, or severely underperforming for daily vaccination counts and blaming everything apart from a broken system they implemented.)

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wonder if the vaccine targets were chosen in part by a desire to hold onto the false narrative that Trudeau had failed to secure enough vaccines in good time so that Ontario could deflect from how badly its rollout started (what with falsely claiming they had vaccinated twice as many people as they actually had, sitting on tens of thousands of unused doses out if paranoia they would need them later in the event new shipments stopped, or severely underperforming for daily vaccination counts and blaming everything apart from a broken system they implemented.)

Ontario’s pandemic response has been structured entirely around taking credit for any positive developments and blaming Trudeau for any negative ones. Given that the conservative media and social media are still trying to push the #TrudeauVaccineFailure, I can definitely believe that what you’ve laid out here was a factor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There was always going to be a huge push to open things ASAP, I'm amazed they've waited as long as they have and actually learned from previous failure.

And honestly? Ontario is opening 5 days ahead of schedule. Not 2 weeks, not a month, 5 days. And we're still vaccinating 200k people daily. We'll have close to 70% double vaxxed by stage 3 day

As long as the vaccine push doesn't back off, as well as the summer vacation, I'm betting there won't be a huge increase in cases.

Come September? When everyone goes back in-office and school? That will be the tell if our vaccination scheme as worked. And I can loving guarantee that we won't have the same type of lockdowns if there is a spike. Capital won't allow it.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

There was always going to be a huge push to open things ASAP, I'm amazed they've waited as long as they have and actually learned from previous failure.

And honestly? Ontario is opening 5 days ahead of schedule. Not 2 weeks, not a month, 5 days. And we're still vaccinating 200k people daily. We'll have close to 70% double vaxxed by stage 3 day

As long as the vaccine push doesn't back off, as well as the summer vacation, I'm betting there won't be a huge increase in cases.

Come September? When everyone goes back in-office and school? That will be the tell if our vaccination scheme as worked. And I can loving guarantee that we won't have the same type of lockdowns if there is a spike. Capital won't allow it.

Québec already announced that. Fully vaccinated Quebecers will receive vaccine passports by September, and if cases spike, they will be necessary in order to access any non-essential services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If we have more lockdowns in the fall I'm going to continue to socialize indoors with other fully vaccinated people (unless the situation changes and the vaccines are no longer effective)

In terms of opening early, we're ahead on every metric from the best case scenario they modelled when the framework came out. Sticking to your guns for the sake of sticking to your guns doesn't make a ton of sense. My biggest complaint with this government has been their failure to change course when the situation changes.

It's not just capital that wants to loosen restrictions. A lot of people are vaccinated and want to start getting back to their lives. I'm not saying we should fully reopen with packed concerts and stadiums but I want to get back to playing hockey with my vaccinated friends.