Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

for more forested hikes i usually bring my singlenest hammock with me. barely any weight/storage penalty and it takes less than a minute to set up comfortably enough and then i have a chair and a bed for my lunch break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People give me poo poo for packing my little folding chair on day hikes, then I laugh while they hunt around for a convenient rock or log when it comes time to stop for lunch.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

So if I'm new to camping, one of these things wouldn't be a terrible way to getting into it? I'd like to get a legit tent as well, but if I can start with a lovely tent--because I'm gonna end up intentionally/unintentionally abusing my first tent--I'd feel less bad about chewing it up. Also, any particular recommendations on patch kits and seam sealers, or are they all pretty much the same?

Are you going to be backpacking or car camping? Because that will drastically change the answers people give you.

armorer posted:

If you choose to sell them, I may be interested in buying them.

Thanks ill keep that in mind. There are a TON of cheap knock offs out there too if you want one soon. My friends have a few and they look pretty much identical to the brand name ones I have.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

So if I'm new to camping, one of these things wouldn't be a terrible way to getting into it? I'd like to get a legit tent as well, but if I can start with a lovely tent--because I'm gonna end up intentionally/unintentionally abusing my first tent--I'd feel less bad about chewing it up. Also, any particular recommendations on patch kits and seam sealers, or are they all pretty much the same?

Edit: I did recently buy a decent(?) sleeping bag according to this thread, a Kelty cosmic down 20, because I needed a sleeping bag in a hurry--and gently caress spending money on a lovely sleeping bag.

Cheap tents are totally fine if you will be a few minutes from your car when something goes wrong. If you are a few days into the back country then having your shelter fail catastrophically could be a life or death problem so you might want more reliability.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

People give me poo poo for packing my little folding chair on day hikes, then I laugh while they hunt around for a convenient rock or log when it comes time to stop for lunch.

Sitting on the ground crosslegged feels amazing to me at lunch breaks so my main concern is someplace dry.

It's when we stop for the night and I'm relaxing that having something to recline into becomes real valuable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

withak posted:

Funny because I would think those little chairs would make more sense to carry day hiking vs backpacking when pack space is at a premium with other more necessary items.

I've been eyeing a chair but I know I'll be picky so I've got to see what's out there.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

God Hole posted:

for more forested hikes i usually bring my singlenest hammock with me. barely any weight/storage penalty and it takes less than a minute to set up comfortably enough and then i have a chair and a bed for my lunch break

Yeah, hammocks make amazing camp chairs. I can't lean back fully in our Helinox chairs without worrying about falling over. But sitting sideways in the hammock with it pulled up behind my head is so drat comfortable. I do usually put something under my legs so the edge doesn't press into my thighs.

It probably takes about the same amount of time to set up as a Helinox type chair though. Probably better for camp or a relaxed lunch break than just a brief trail rest.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are you going to be backpacking or car camping? Because that will drastically change the answers people give you.

Thanks ill keep that in mind. There are a TON of cheap knock offs out there too if you want one soon. My friends have a few and they look pretty much identical to the brand name ones I have.

I have two of the knockoffs and they're pretty good for the price. I use them as car camping chairs mostly because the packed space is a lot smaller than other options, so they're easier to bring along. I wouldn't mind having a few more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well Ive tried out my new camp chair a bit and unfortunately the search continues.

I bought a Coleman Woodsman 2 chair. I was hopeful that it would work for my purposes but no such luck. It was very comfortable and it setup incredibly quickly but I had a couple of issues with it. First it weighed about 3 pounds on my scale. WAY heavier than listed weight. Second it was just too wide to reliably strap to the outside of my pack.

For now I will keep going with old reliable. My Thermarest sit pad. Hopefully one day I will find a chair that works for me.

I love those Coleman chairs, I keep one in the back of my truck. I don't think I would try backpacking with it though.

Dick Burglar posted:

Edit: I did recently buy a decent(?) sleeping bag according to this thread, a Kelty cosmic down 20, because I needed a sleeping bag in a hurry--and gently caress spending money on a lovely sleeping bag.

Tenacious Tape is what people seem to recommend, Walmart sells that too https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gear-Aid-Tenacious-Tape-Patches-Black/37022260, or you can get big rolls of it elsewhere.
Coughlans makes cheap basic stuff that tends to work. You're probably going to break a pole if anything breaks. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s-Nylon-Tent-Repair-Kit/19897901
Or duct tape works if you don't care how your tent looks.

I mean that is a really cheap tent, not sure seam sealer is actually going to help much if it rains now that I'm reading the reviews. TBH I'd use that for car camping in nice weather at a campsite with bathrooms and a general store on one of those trips that you spend more on beer than food.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been meaning to go to the firefly thing. How was it?

We actually went post peak (I think it’s first week of June) and it was still incredible. Definitely worth it! Especially if you’re a photographer, there are some beautiful long exposures.

We were lucky enough to tag along with a local family (who ended up being a fantastic guide) on the Little River Creek trail. They came out about 9:30-10 and for a few hours we were surrounded by magical waves of light. It almost felt like there should be a concert to accompany it. It’s a pretty cool mating ritual!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I love those Coleman chairs, I keep one in the back of my truck. I don't think I would try backpacking with it though.

Tenacious Tape is what people seem to recommend, Walmart sells that too https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gear-Aid-Tenacious-Tape-Patches-Black/37022260, or you can get big rolls of it elsewhere.
Coughlans makes cheap basic stuff that tends to work. You're probably going to break a pole if anything breaks. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s-Nylon-Tent-Repair-Kit/19897901

I mean that is a really cheap tent, not sure seam sealer is actually going to help much if it rains now that I'm reading the reviews. TBH I'd use that for car camping in nice weather at a campsite with bathrooms and a general store on one of those trips that you spend more on beer than food.

tenacious tape is legit, i put some on an unraveling seam on my puffy coat like three years ago and its still stuck strong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is mixing your own permethrin just as effective as Sawyer's? Or do they have additional additives that helps it bind to fabrics? This stuff really doesn't go very far when you're treating tents.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive been diluting my own premithrin concentrate and soaking clothes for years now with no ill effects or loss of potency.

I've read on Andrew Skurkas blog that he's noticed a difference in how long treatment last between DIY applications and commercially applied premithrin, but I usually get about 6 weeks no problem out of a DIY application. Just depends on how much rain and UV light hits the fabric.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive been diluting my own premithrin concentrate and soaking clothes for years now with no ill effects or loss of potency.

I've read on Andrew Skurkas blog that he's noticed a difference in how long treatment last between DIY applications and commercially applied premithrin, but I usually get about 6 weeks no problem out of a DIY application. Just depends on how much rain and UV light hits the fabric.

Any brand you use? Some of the reviews on Amazon saying some of these smell like diesel.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah, just use this as a “do I actually enjoy sleeping outside?” test tent and don’t expect it to hold up well in the elements at all. Long ago when my SO and I went on our first camping trip together, the tent poles were left 300 miles away and we had to snag a tent at Walmart 45 minutes away and race back to the park before they closed the gate. It rained that night and I woke up with my feet wet the next morning because the floor of the tent eventually soaked through or something.

There’s also the option of renting some gear to test out if you’re unsure - I know lots of REI stores do gear rentals, and I know there are places you can rent from online now too.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I personally abhor disposable products and don't see any reason to buy a lovely tent just to trash it later.

You won't have any problem offloading something decent for a good chunk of the sticker price in this market, in the case it doesn't stick.

Just my 2c :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Seam grip works really well also. I like tenacious tape, have used it successfully on my jackets over the years.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I know its a stool rather than a chair with a proper back but I have one of these and its pretty awesome: https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-PackSeat-Portable-Camping/dp/B0015OYXY4

The legs are basically heavy duty tent poles so they can quickly splits in half. Im a poorly postured nerd who tends to lean forward rather than back when sitting anyways so it works great for me. Ive also sat for multiple hours in it while hunting and been surprising comfortable the whole sit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I know its a stool rather than a chair with a proper back but I have one of these and its pretty awesome: https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-PackSeat-Portable-Camping/dp/B0015OYXY4

The legs are basically heavy duty tent poles so they can quickly splits in half. Im a poorly postured nerd who tends to lean forward rather than back when sitting anyways so it works great for me. Ive also sat for multiple hours in it while hunting and been surprising comfortable the whole sit.

Got one of these and they're p comfy and lightweight.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The conversation was specifically about car camping. I wouldn't expect that cheap POS to hold up well enough that I'd try backpacking with it.

FogHelmut posted:

Fair enough. Thanks for the information.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

The conversation was specifically about car camping. I wouldn't expect that cheap POS to hold up well enough that I'd try backpacking with it.

I always recommend REI garage sales for tents if you’re a member and have one nearby. Lots of good tents for cheap at those typically. I got my Kingdome 4 used there for like $150 and it’s a fantastic car camping tent.

Check out Alps Mountaineering and Paris Outdoors on Amazon as well. They’re two great “budget” brands that’s a step above disposable Coleman/Walmart gear and the pricier options.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I always recommend REI garage sales for tents if you’re a member and have one nearby. Lots of good tents for cheap at those typically. I got my Kingdome 4 used there for like $150 and it’s a fantastic car camping tent.

This.

If you have a decent rei nearby with garage sales or a garage section, you can score incredible gear for cheap. You just have to be a little flexible on models, read the tag to see the return reason and be able to/be familiar enough with gear to know if anything is missing, broken or repairable. Tents are one of those things that are huge wins of you find something so long as it's not missing an important piece or damaged beyond reasonable repair. They're almost always marked down low. People also abuse their return policy in order to essentially rent really nice gear for a weekend and return it so you can give a lot of essentially brand new/used one or twice gear.

My Nemo hornet was $100 and used once but literally looks brand new. "Too light" was their reason for return.

My osprey Atmos 65, "did not like fit". $100. Brand new condition.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"I am new to camping" and "know your poo poo re: tents" do not typically line up, guys.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

REI also now sells used gear on their site. Their decision to have a specific spot on the floor for garage sale items instead of sales has me visiting my local spots way more than before.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Someone can tell me I'm wrong about everything or add to this:

Tent Brands:

Ozark Trail - very inexpensive, cheaply made, do not expect it to last, would avoid wet weather, otherwise functional
Coleman - standard car camping gear, been around forever, pretty functional, generally reliable
Kelty/Alps Mountaineering/Eureka - priced above Coleman, better materials
REI - comparable to some premium gear at a good price
MSR/Mountain Hardware/North Face/Big Agnes/etc - premium tents, premium price

Note: Tent sizes are deceiving. They do not count any extra space for gear in their sizing. A two-person tent fits two people side by side sleeping opposite head to toe. A four or six person tent follows the same sardine-packing rules. Get a larger tent if you are keeping gear or dogs inside the tent. Vestibules do not count towards person-space. They are useful for storing gear out of the rain but also out of the tent interior. There is typically not a floor in the vestibule.

Backpacking Tents:

Regular tents:
Cheap - cheap, heavy, takes up a lot of space
Mid-price (this is actually a big range that I don't know how to break up) - depends on brand, lighter weight and still sturdy, better packability
Expensive - premium space materials, ultra lightweight, loses some durability

Ultralight tents: minimal design, often uses one or two trekking poles as the tent support

Hammock: it's a hammock. May or may not include a rainfly or be a self contained structure. You should have trees around to hang it from.

Tarp: ultra light, requires skills

Note: Watch out for listed weights as it can become hard to compare as some of the lighter ones do not come with tie-downs or footprints.

Car Camping/Overlanding:

Ground tent:
See brands above. Use whatever tent you like that fits you and your gear/group. No need to worry about weight or size, depending on your car space.

Roof Top Tent
Pros:
- off the ground
- built-in mattress
- camp anywhere you park
- looks cool

Cons:
- off the ground is in the wind
- off the ground makes it hard to get out at night to pee
- off the ground isn't great for getting your dog in and out
- can't drive anywhere until you pack up the tent
- very expensive

Swag:
This is a one person heavy canvas bivy style tent with its own built-in foam mattress. They're heavy and big when packed. Rare in the US, popular in Australia. Feels like sleeping in a coffin.

Pop-up trailer:
A small trailer that unfolds into a camper. Canvas walls, usually has a kitchen and seating.

Overland Trailer:
A basic trailer with big tires to hold your gear and probably has a rooftop tent on it.

Teardrop Trailer:
Small, lightweight, enough room to sleep, built in exterior kitchen.

Travel Trailer:
Many sizes, many prices, often comes with bathroom and kitchen, may be had with air conditioning and heating.

Truck with bed cap:
Protected, not as roomy as a van, but your truck may have other uses.

Van:
Driveable. Room for murals on the side.

Truck Camper:
Sits in the bed of your truck. Generally need a larger truck to carry these.

Camper/RV:
Self contained home on wheels. Ranges from the size of an ambulance to the size of a bus. Some expand to palatial sizes.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 9, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd add Alps Mountaineering onto the list of brands. It kinda slots itself between the super cheap stuff and REI.

Their tents are pretty quality materials, but usually not the lightest technology. My backpacking tent is a 2 person Alps Mountaineering and it's been great for the price. You can find em on sale a lot on Steep and Cheap.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've also had good experiences with !Eureka tents. Good designs, keep the weather out, durable and on the cheaper side

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Probably need something about tarps and hammocks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Probably need something about tarps and hammocks.

Imma quote that in the OP here, if you want to add or change anything lemme know and I’ll chuck that in!

E: also open to adding or removing or redoing whatever else anyone thinks should go in there… just lemme know and I’ll quote it in there

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2021

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Math You posted:

I've also had good experiences with !Eureka tents. Good designs, keep the weather out, durable and on the cheaper side

Great. I'm going on a 3-day backpacking trip in the shenandoah next month and picked up a used Eureka Midori 2 tent on geartrade.com for 87 bucks including shipping. I thought about getting something nicer but honestly I doubt I'll be able to go backpacking more than once or twice per year for a while since my kid is still a toddler so I figured cheaper is better for now. Hoping it shows up with all the pieces.

I also got an Atmos AG 65L for $142 and it looks brand new except for not having tags. So basically, geartrade is awesome. Now I'm just on the lookout for a decent used canister stove and bear canister/bag and I'll be ready for the trip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Imma quote that in the OP here, if you want to add or change anything lemme know and I’ll chuck that in!

E: also open to adding or removing or redoing whatever else anyone thinks should go in there… just lemme know and I’ll quote it in there

I added a note about tent sizes, and a blurb about hammocks and tarps, but those could be expanded.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Just to chime in at the end of chairchat, my wife got me the rocking chair feet for my helinox chair and I started using it much more around our campsites. I was always annoyed with the legs sinking into the dirt, and I’m always leaning chairs back on two legs, so when she got the rocking feet for me it really went from a nice light chair to something I’m always eager to set up and recline in.

I realize that after adding up the chair and the rocking feet that you’re looking at a really hefty price tag, but for the comfort I’ve gotten in the last year or two it’s been worth it for me.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

FogHelmut posted:

Truck with bed cap:
Protected, not as roomy as a van, but your truck may have other uses.

This is how I do most of my camping now when solo hunting and its pretty great. My truck has an 80" bed so I can readily fit a cot back there along with my gear. Its really handy and cozy. Its also pretty discrete so on road long road trips if you need to pull of somewhere and get some sleep.

Pro tip: get a shower rod and run it along the length of the cap so you have something to hang a lamp on, clothes up to dry, etc

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where to post this, but I got a pair of goretex new balance sneakers that got a bunch of sewage on them (the sewer line burst in the basement last night), and i’m wondering if they’re goners. They didn’t get properly logged with sewage water, but definitely splashed, and i had to clean up the area in them so they def came in contact with a lot of nasty poo poo.

How can I properly clean these so i don’t get like a staph infection or something?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

How can I properly clean these so i don’t get like a staph infection or something?

Hottest fire you can get

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I mean. If they're going to be trashed anyway you may as well try to clean them up.

I would spray them off with a hose first, then soak them in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a few hours or a day or so in a mix of dish soap, simple green/degreaser, maybe some borax (laundry detergent booster). Give them a good scrub with a brush, not so aggressive as to kill the fabric/uppers and see if they can be recovered.

That's been my technique for stinky shoes in the past. If it doesn't work, toss em.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I soak my kids lovely clothes in water with a lot of Oxyclean when the baby has a blowout or when the older one was potty training. Seems to work pretty well.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not sure where to post this, but I got a pair of goretex new balance sneakers that got a bunch of sewage on them (the sewer line burst in the basement last night), and i’m wondering if they’re goners. They didn’t get properly logged with sewage water, but definitely splashed, and i had to clean up the area in them so they def came in contact with a lot of nasty poo poo.

Rinse/scrub them off, then throw them in the washing machine on hot with some tech wash (or just regular detergent if you’re not worried about clogging the goretex or stripping the dwr). Dryer on low, or air dry, or walk them dry. They should be fine.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

FogHelmut posted:

Someone can tell me I'm wrong about everything or add to this:

Tent Brands:

Ozark Trail - very inexpensive, cheaply made, do not expect it to last, would avoid wet weather, otherwise functional
Coleman - standard car camping gear, been around forever, pretty functional, generally reliable
Kelty/Alps Mountaineering/Eureka - priced above Coleman, better materials
REI - comparable to some premium gear at a good price
MSR/Mountain Hardware/North Face/Big Agnes/etc - premium tents, premium price

Hilleberg - when you want to upgrade from a premium tent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

second washing machine, esp. if you've otherwise written them off. i've washed (non-goretex) shoes a couple of times with no issues