Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Snorb posted:

I do love the Odyssey uniform; too bad we had to get through the Sierra-1 (the *original* STO uniform, visible on the game box) first.

.....Yeesh, Starfleet changed their uniforms like nine times in forty years.

Ours did it so many times Congress had to pass a law to stop them wanting a new (fully copyrighted and trademarked) camo pattern every two years - and we don't even have replicators :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

blastron posted:

The armada scene at the end of Picard would have been completely fine had it not been a hundred Inquiry-class copy/pastes, but from what I heard the ‘rona hosed the production special and they didn’t have the time to make screen-ready models for other classes of ship. Maybe if we ever get a physical release they’ll go back and fix up old scenes but I’m not holding my breath.

I just mentally replace that scene with this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has there ever been a Star Trek episode/novel where a crew goes back in time and everyone else they meet in the past is also a Starfleet crew who are trying to keep the timeline straight?

false edit: if not, copyright 2021 do not steal

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senor Tron posted:

I just mentally replace that scene with this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc
I shouldn't be surprised after all this time, but it's still :stare: that "some guy on their laptop" can create VFX that are every bit as good as the professionally-produced stuff in the actual show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I still maintain it's a failure if they do anything but 'warbird fires' 'starfleet ship drops out of warp and swoops in to catch it on their shield'

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

mllaneza posted:

It becomes deeply meta when you realize that the third major car rental company is called Enterprise. :rimshot:

gently caress me sideways on a double-decker bus. I never knew there was such a rental company

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

Orville's crossover from dumbed down for Fox to good SF is in episode 6. It's got some dumb humor in it, but also some moments of deep pathos. There's even a setup for some events in season 2. And there's possibly the most elaborate joke on any of McFarlane's shows.

The bad guy aliens, the Krill, are religious fanatics worshiping a god called Avis. That was set up early in the show. It turns out to be part of the joke when the captain and the pilot start joking about a god named Hertz, one of the other three major car rental companies. It becomes deeply meta when you realize that the third major car rental company is called Enterprise. :rimshot:

Holy poo poo! :stonklol:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Has there ever been a Star Trek episode/novel where a crew goes back in time and everyone else they meet in the past is also a Starfleet crew who are trying to keep the timeline straight?

Not Trek, but Let's Go To Golgotha.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo! :stonklol:

Corrected the emphasis wrt theme of the post

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Senor Tron posted:

Not Trek, but Let's Go To Golgotha.

Hmm, good recommendation. Thanks!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Romulan fleet was also ridiculous with it's size and sameness. Not that non Federation ships get that much attention. Also they were commanded by an idiot. They're just trying to blow up a house. Just shoot a loving photon torpedo at it, you don't need to sterilize the whole planet.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

In the future, everyone will have the same genitals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eimi posted:

The Romulan fleet was also ridiculous with it's size and sameness. Not that non Federation ships get that much attention. Also they were commanded by an idiot. They're just trying to blow up a house. Just shoot a loving photon torpedo at it, you don't need to sterilize the whole planet.

It would've been more interesting if they'd had like just _A_ Warbird, salvaged or saved from who-knows-where. Probably relatively outdated, but still a threat to anything that isn't a modern Starfleet ship.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I still maintain it's a failure if they do anything but 'warbird fires' 'starfleet ship drops out of warp and swoops in to catch it on their shield'

Oh well.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It would've been more interesting if they'd had like just _A_ Warbird, salvaged or saved from who-knows-where. Probably relatively outdated, but still a threat to anything that isn't a modern Starfleet ship.

Hell they could've made good on a D'deridex vs Galaxy class battle. That'd be fanservice I'd actually want to see.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

A good starfleet uniform will show me the cock and balls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Actual Satan posted:

A good starfleet uniform will show me the cock and balls.

actually the TMP uniforms were terrible

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh my god I accidentally sent u a subspace message of my Cock and Balls...please disregard!! Unless...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

absolutely not

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

5 minutes of that was enough for Picard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

absolutely not

come on man, that metal armour collar will help you keep your head upright in the chair during those long nights of command

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This wouldn't save the whole scene episode season from crashing and burning, but at least it would have been a legit awesome moment instead of an "Oh. Okay." :geno:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

MikeJF posted:

It makes no sense to me from the other direction, actually. They already demonstrated they were willing to sacrifice the salvation of the entire Romulan civilisation and population when they arranged for the destruction of Mars and the refugee fleet. Why would they stop at Riker's fleet showing up? He couldn't have saved the colony if they all fired at it.

Yeah this exactly. They were such fanatics they effectively genocided their homeworld, its so super duper serious half of them shoot themselves in the head and they risk war by operating soldiers on Earth, but as soon as their ultimate target is in sight, about to fulfill this terrible prophecy they shrug and go "eh" because some ships show up they would need to fight. They had dozens of ships, at least one could have gotten through.

Like even if you accept that the rest of the romulan ships weren't willing to risk themselves for the zhad vash tal shiar stuff, they should have at LEAST showed the romulan spy commodore breaking off when the rest leave, trying to make a mad dash to fire everything at this one little settlement before getting blown up by riker.

Then you could maybe show their fanaticism where she's willing to suicide run for this super secret sacred ancient goal. Instead it just feels so incredibly lazy and weird ending to the zhad vash plot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

This wouldn't save the whole scene episode season from crashing and burning, but at least it would have been a legit awesome moment instead of an "Oh. Okay." :geno:

Again, I'm slightly more forgiving of that scene now after learning that they only had time to make one hero-quality starship model and one minor variant before the COVID panic set in and everything started shutting down so they just ran with what was usable at the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, I'm slightly more forgiving of that scene now after learning that they only had time to make one hero-quality starship model and one minor variant before the COVID panic set in and everything started shutting down so they just ran with what was usable at the time.

I'm sure they could've scrounged up some existing assets for pre-established Starfleet ships from somewhere, though, they wouldn't have had to make designs like the Sovereign from scratch. But it's like they had a mandate not to show old designs except for in flashback.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

GoutPatrol posted:

this could be great. what if the other crew had a totally different timeline they were trying to preserve which directly opposed 'our' crews' objective. or if the only difference between the two was that our entire crew was dead. basically anything that confronts temporal privilege.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure they could've scrounged up some existing assets for pre-established Starfleet ships from somewhere, though, they wouldn't have had to make designs like the Sovereign from scratch. But it's like they had a mandate not to show old designs except for in flashback.
Well they had the Galaxy class right there...

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

MikeJF posted:

The thing that was obviously cut was where the baddie was all like 'let's fight' and then she was suddenly like 'actually no we surrender' in like 2 straight shots with no cause or explanation for her change in tone. There was obviously supposed to be a big space battle there.

Or at least I assume there was? Picard is so all over the place in tone and story that it might just be bad writing. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

But yeah, that shot someone threw together on their laptop was doable even with Covid if they wanted to go down that line. Maybe they didn't get time to design/render multiple new ships, but not using TNG-era trek designers was a (perfectly valid!) creative choice.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I can imagine there being a specific mandate not to use the Galaxy-class outside of specific references to the Enterprise. Yes, in-universe, there’s a lot of Galaxy-class ships, but to most of the viewers, the Galaxy is the Enterprise. Having a few of them show up would just be confusing to some people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blastron posted:

I can imagine there being a specific mandate not to use the Galaxy-class outside of specific references to the Enterprise. Yes, in-universe, there’s a lot of Galaxy-class ships, but to most of the viewers, the Galaxy is the Enterprise. Having a few of them show up would just be confusing to some people.

This was the same mandate that Deep Space Nine and Voyager were under in regards to the Sovereign-class. They could have any starship they wanted show up on screen EXCEPT the Sovereign, because the Sovereign was the Enterprise and they didn't want viewers thinking the Enterprise was involved in VOY/DS9 poo poo because it was exclusively a movie-only property now. It was just as dumb back then, but I get it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 8, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading that they got all sorts of panicked idiots writing them when they destroyed a clearly not the Enterprise if you were even sightly paying attention Galaxy class on DS9

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Der Kyhe posted:

So where the f**k did Starfleet poo poo out a combat fleet to put First contact and most of the Dominion war into shame? To a region that was remote enough that no-one cared enough to go check out for new live-signs? And large enough to make Romulan special forces completely outgunned?

Obviously the federation has been pumping out dedicated combat ships nonstop ever since the Dominion war. The borg taking down most of their fleet followed by a shooting war with the dominion was their 9/11. Every sector gets a fleet of dedicated war ships now, just in case.

In the grimdark Picard future there is only war.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nine-gear crow posted:

This was the same mandate that Deep Space Nine and Voyager were under in regards to the Sovereign-class. They could have any starship they wanted show up on screen EXCEPT the Sovereign, because the Sovereign was the Enterprise and they didn't want viewers thinking the Enterprise was involved in VOY/DS9 poo poo because it was exclusively a movie-only property now. It was just as dumb back then, but I get it.

As I recall they originally wanted the Stargazer to be a Constitution Refit but ran into the same basic objection.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

I remember reading that they got all sorts of panicked idiots writing them when they destroyed a clearly not the Enterprise if you were even sightly paying attention Galaxy class on DS9

Yep. They were flooded with hate mail for weeks following the airing of The Jem'Hadar. People were convinced they had just casually blown up the Enterprise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Obviously the federation has been pumping out dedicated combat ships nonstop ever since the Dominion war. The borg taking down most of their fleet followed by a shooting war with the dominion was their 9/11. Every sector gets a fleet of dedicated war ships now, just in case.

In the grimdark Picard future there is only war.

It's The Culture solution. Yeah you never see us flying any warships anywhere but the moment it looks like there might be a conflict we send a signal to one of the hollowed out asteroids floating in deep space and warm up a few thousand we keep in storage just in case.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Yep. They were flooded with hate mail for weeks following the airing of The Jem'Hadar. People were convinced they had just casually blown up the Enterprise.

Yeah, but nowadays those idiots would just whine online and get shut the gently caress down by the mass of fans who actually pay attention, so the problem would solve itself.

Worrying about those reactions in an era of heavily serialized, timeshifted viewing, prestige tv is archaic anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/GeekAuthority/status/1413169100885348354

Welp, close the thread folks, Star Trek has been officially cancelled forever. We had a great run.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeekAuthority/status/1413169100885348354

Welp, close the thread folks, Star Trek has been officially cancelled forever. We had a great run.

"thanks doomcock"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love how there's a subset of Trekkies who do nothing but prophesize the imminent and deserved doom of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nichael posted:

I love how there's a subset of Trekkies who do nothing but prophesize the imminent and deserved doom of the franchise.

I have plenty of issues with Kurtzman's vision of Trek and the current crop of shows, but these dorks make me hope DISCO runs 12 seasons.