Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
i'm not sure I would hang the hook of the "this os is buggy!" article around a VirtIO issue in your virtual machine, but that's me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nomnom Cookie posted:

vim is a legacy product at this point. not just legacy like "its old an ugly like ur mom", real legacy like no one who isnt using it has a good reason to start using it
what other editor can you use in an ssh session,

I use vscode on local but remote I use vim. I used to use a bunch of other stuff that's awful garbage in comparison: atom, sublime, eclipse, notepad++, most of intellij's editors, etc.

this "editing stuff through a terminal" use case is exactly why young people still learn vim if they have a job that has them do that type of stuff with any regularity. even learning i, esc, :wq, ? puts vim ahead of nano. The real dying breed are the people who use it as their main editor or even as an IDE.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

I use vscode on local but remote I use vim. I used to use a bunch of other stuff that's awful garbage in comparison: atom, sublime, eclipse, notepad++, most of intellij's editors, etc.

this "editing stuff through a terminal" use case is exactly why young people still learn vim if they have a job that has them do that type of stuff with any regularity. even learning i, esc, :wq, ? puts vim ahead of nano. Most people who use it this way don't know most of the nerd commands, but they do know enough for it not to be a bottleneck. The real dying breed are the people who use it as their main editor or even as an IDE.

you can use vscode to edit via ssh

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chalks posted:

you can use vscode to edit via ssh
I will look into this before passing judgment

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
pico?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
you can use ed, the standard editor, to edit via ssh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo do all your edits as oneliners

code:
sed -i .bak -e 's/oldhost/newhost/' /etc/fstab
for n in `seq -w 001 100`; do echo "${n}.jpg"; done
etc

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the vscode ssh remote editing is a dumb design that infects the remote host with a vscode remote service and wants to download extensions on the remote host directly from the internet so it is fairly useless in a enterprise environment

why couldn't they just sftp the file back and forth when loading and saving

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just use sshfs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spankmeister posted:

just use sshfs

yeah this

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nomnom Cookie posted:

vim is a legacy product at this point. not just legacy like "its old an ugly like ur mom", real legacy like no one who isnt using it has a good reason to start using it

lmbo now this is a take

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I started using vim 5? Years ago beyond i, esc, :wq and it owns op

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
*mashes down arrow while furiously scrolling through a 20k line log file*

GOD I hate Linux!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

lmbo now this is a take

hello i am Mr. Whitenoise and have nothing to say

Mr. Crow posted:

I started using vim 5? Years ago beyond i, esc, :wq and it owns op

five years ago i started punching myself in the dick and i just loving love punching myself in the dick. the swelling that follows is what i imagine an erection would feel like, if i could get an erection

Mr. Crow posted:

*mashes down arrow while furiously scrolling through a 20k line log file*

GOD I hate Linux!

in conclusion, editors are a land of contrasts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

the vscode ssh remote editing is a dumb design that infects the remote host with a vscode remote service and wants to download extensions on the remote host directly from the internet so it is fairly useless in a enterprise environment

why couldn't they just sftp the file back and forth when loading and saving

lol this is a terrible idea

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

obviously not fine in prod, but if you're ssh'ing in to vim a few files in prod, or are mounting an sshfs on prod, i have some bad news for you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a pc with Ubuntu 20.04 on it with no internet that I needed to install a graphical SQL browser on. I used to use MySQL workbench but that's no longer available in the repo's. Next I decided to install DBeaver but it's a snap now and the internal repo doesn't have snaps. So I ended up downloading the deb and sneakernetting it over USB.

Half an hour of wasted time later, I finish installing the deb and all the dependencies (g-d drat Java apps) and finally start up my SQL browser software and connect it to the MariaDB instance.

Syke, no I didn't because it doesn't come with any of the necessary JDBC drivers but don't worry it automatically downloads it from the web! :suicide:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the word is "psych", numb nuts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Clark Nova posted:

lol this is a terrible idea

it is absolutely fine for it’s intended use case which should be nowhere near anything that isn’t a dev sandbox

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
before you start caring about the editor you use for ssh sessions you have to ask "why are you editing things so much in the ssh session that the editor matters?"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

I didn't think anyone would of cared so much, but walla

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

it is absolutely fine for it’s intended use case which should be nowhere near anything that isn’t a dev sandbox

if you're regularly sshing in to edit things on prod then what editor you're using to do it is the least of your worries

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is the tiling WM the same thing as the powertoys 'fancyzones'
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones

I found it the other day, works pretty well

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

i don't think it'll really replace it if you like fancyzones (not very configurable not least), but otoh i only used fancyzones for a short time as it had some serious compatibility issues with some stuff i used, and so far the w11 variant seems to have less problems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

my stepdads beer posted:

i had no idea they're still making powertoys. i though that died out with windows 7 for some reason

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I use all of:

- vim in SSH, for editing a couple lines on some file
- SSHFS and local editor, if the target is close enough to be fast
- vscode and SSH if the target is far enough away to be lovely with SSHFS

I agree that vscode's whole "dump a bunch of files into your remote home folder" approach is dumb and bad, and I wish there was something better. I guess if I wanted to go full :rms2: I could use emacs with tramp mode or something, but yuck.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to me the improved latency is kind of secondary to running and debugging the software in its intended environment seamlessly. sure if you're working on a single thing and a bit hardcore about it you'll probably have the right hardware and software to run it locally, but even then it saves some effort (never worry that a bug is something about your environment) and sometimes is the only option short of jumping between machines constantly (e.g. some large machine learning pipeline which simply cannot be approximated on your arm macbook or w/e).

nonetheless pretty dumb to call vim "legacy" though, software does not actually rot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Chalks posted:

if you're regularly sshing in to edit things on prod then what editor you're using to do it is the least of your worries

do you expect me to set up config management for my bullshit personal web server/irc client host

im doin good if i remember to back that thing up before major os upgrades

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

do you expect me to set up config management for my bullshit personal web server/irc client host

im doin good if i remember to back that thing up before major os upgrades

nah, but hardly an issue to have a ~/.vscode on such a machine either. kind of not in the realm of what i'd call "prod".

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, but hardly an issue to have a ~/.vscode-remote on such a machine either. kind of not in the realm of what i'd call "prod".

i also use vim for full time dev work though, so vov

this discussion does dredge up horrible memories of working on healthcare systems in the early 2010s though, where ssh into prod and edit with vi following a big excel spreadsheet of setup tasks was absolutely the standard and really only workflow

my suggestion to adopt config management was rebuffed for fears that the machines would somehow make mistakes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my stepdads beer posted:

This is pretty neat.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
my exposure to vscode is my coworker constantly having problems with it, remote debugging, etc.

Well be pair programming and it takes him like 5x as long to do anything because he's loving with vscode. If you need an IDE use a proper one e.g. PyCharm.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Khorne posted:

this "editing stuff through a terminal" use case is exactly why young people still learn vim if they have a job that has them do that type of stuff with any regularity. even learning i, esc, :wq, ? puts vim ahead of nano. The real dying breed are the people who use it as their main editor or even as an IDE.

you make emacs use a ssh session

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Chris Knight posted:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i like where the professional journalist posts screenshots of test-running an os which include all the chrome of his virtual machine

“professional” “journalist”

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you'll have to forgive jim salter, this article is far outside his comfort zone of extremely long winded articles about installing zfs

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

you'll have to forgive jim salter, this article is far outside his comfort zone of extremely long winded articles about installing zfs

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

• Setting up initial Apache configs / small changes: vim
  • Development of html/js on a staging server:
    • MountainDuck-mount + Visual Studio
    • VisualStudio + IIS Express ->Git/dev-branch->Git-hook->CI/CD->webserver pulls branch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of the many ways vscode is like emacs is that it is neither the editor i will launch on a remote host to change one small thing, nor is it an actual ide i'd choose when i commit to building the best possible environment to long-term write code.

i spend a lot of time in that middle ground though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

obviously not fine in prod, but if you're ssh'ing in to vim a few files in prod, or are mounting an sshfs on prod, i have some bad news for you.
the sad truth is there's probably someone at your company doing this with configuration of some kind for someone multiple times per day

well, probably not sshfs the only time I saw that used was with people who don't know how to use a computer using hpc clusters

and maybe they do it in other environments first if you're lucky, altho "prod" is kinda nebulous when lots of configurations you can create/change in prod aren't customer facing until you make them & prod could be 100 microservices

help I'm being held hostage by questionable development processes

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 10, 2021