Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

obama haarp ufo summoning machine strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

grays are earth type

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

endocriminologist posted:

ah, the birds burrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdU6FHSlXk&t=30s

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

woah I was watching a u2 that flew out of Edwards AFB on that flight tracking website last night :tinfoil:

e: I don't know how unusual it is to see but there is a drone doing loops over the Lassen peak area, probably wildfire related I think

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 9, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think I am starting to see how global awareness of natural occurrences can be a compelling argument for various cultist beliefs

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

choose the form of the destructor

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

lmao

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The UAP crowd is not happy with me...thats okay. Ill still keep reading that garbage.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I like the part where she talks funny. and also how the camera is high on lsd

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

seems like we were the real aliens in the end

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

This is what I imagine an average person in Sedona is like.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

GWBBQ posted:

This sounds a lot like one of my dad's stories from when he was stationed at Elmendorf AFB around the same time. Scrambling an SR-71 involved getting it started on the runway with big pans under the wings to catch all the fuel that leaked out because it had gaps between panels when it rolled out of the hangar to compensate for thermal expansion due to aerodynamic heating when it was flying. They would load enough fuel to get it up in the air, fly circles for a few minutes at full throttle to get everything heated up, then refuel in the air and go wherever they needed to go really fast. My dad's description was that they would taxi out onto the runway, everyone on the ground would cover their ears because of the engine noise as the pilots went to full throttle, they would hear a sonic boom at about the same time they flew over the water, then they would refuel in the air, fly east over the base and turn around so they had a runway to land on if anything went wrong. Once they were ready to go on their way, it was full throttle/full afterburner and in his words "they were over the horizon by the time we felt the sonic boom."

He wouldn't specifically say what happened to get them to scramble an SR-71, but from other stories he told me it was either the USS Pueblo incident or the 1969 EC-121 shootdown. I really wish I could pick his brain about some of this stuff since he was in intelligence and had Top Secret clearance, but he probably wouldn't tell me anything even if he knew it. I was really into UFOs and paranormal stuff when I was younger and a few times I got a chuckle out of him with a comment that I just had to give it 20 years and the Air Force would be bragging about it.

why would they scramble an sr71 it doesn’t even have weapons

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

burn an aitee doob and put this on

https://youtu.be/qaImyktMkU4

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Weren't spy planes like the SR-71 and U-2 kept on standby and ready to go to provide super fast reconnaissance turn-around times in crises? I thought the whole reason we kept using them even after spy satellites became more prevalent was that they could initially get in the air and get back with photos before a satellite would be able to see most areas. Makes sense that you'd "scramble" one if something big was going down.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/DrLucyJones/status/1413553418988183553?s=20

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oh hell yeah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

not so much crack ping as

rumble boom

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Birds don't make sonic booms you dinguses, this is humans

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Paradoxish posted:

Weren't spy planes like the SR-71 and U-2 kept on standby and ready to go to provide super fast reconnaissance turn-around times in crises? I thought the whole reason we kept using them even after spy satellites became more prevalent was that they could initially get in the air and get back with photos before a satellite would be able to see most areas. Makes sense that you'd "scramble" one if something big was going down.

if something big was going down why would you scramble to take a picture

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
my droney! my droney!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Paradoxish posted:

correct

in other fun news, legendary lawyer, and representative of both Lue and Greer, Daniel Sheehan posted his public denunciation of the hack editing job Greer did in his 'documentary' lol

https://m.facebook.com/danielpetersheehan/posts/1683177385219798

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vomik posted:

if something big was going down why would you scramble to take a picture

to, uh, see what's going on

the op said it was scrambled in response to the uss pueblo incident, so in that case it would be to answer questions like "does north korea really have our boat"

the whole reason you want a ton of spy satellites is so that you can get near real-time information from anywhere super fast

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

angerbeet posted:

MTVishly: I want my ai t ee

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

my droney! my droney!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

my droney! my droney!

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Oh hey I'm in one of those colored blocks this is exciting!

Didn't feel the rattle though.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

correct

in other fun news, legendary lawyer, and representative of both Lue and Greer, Daniel Sheehan posted his public denunciation of the hack editing job Greer did in his 'documentary' lol

lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

now the drone is loitering over I5 :tinfoil:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeee posted:

correct

seems like a weird move to intentionally misrepresent the words of your own lawyer

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

seems like a weird move to intentionally misrepresent the words of your own lawyer

and that's why you'll never be a successful grifter cult leader like Greer

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/AramShabanian/status/1413587174956560387

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Perfectly normal training exercises that just happen to be very close to where the Nimitz poo poo happened
look away

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Monterey is pretty far from San Diego.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

not when u have wormhole technology

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

Not by jet it's not

(also I though the Nimitz was farther north off the coast, woops)

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

seems a bit further away from LA where the sonic boom happened. or was it more wide-spread?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

neutral milf hotel posted:

seems a bit further away from LA where the sonic boom happened. or was it more wide-spread?

It was just the LA area, seems like it was something off the coast of Long Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m sure there are aero nerds in here, but based on what I do know from reading about the kind of people who build aircraft in their garages flutter is a normal sort of instability to test for when expanding a new airframe’s flight envelope. If they were testing for flutter it seems likely that the aircraft developed significant instability suddenly and then crashed due to damage or loss of control.

Also that reminds me of Rutan’s Long-EZ/Varieze even though there’s no canard. Bet it’s efficient as hell. Or was, anyway.