Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

MinSec felt almost as key to the early comics threads as Foob was, to the point that it was grandfathered into new threads despite breaking No Webcomic rules. And then McMillan changed the format to single panels rather than an ongoing story and it instantly became far less interesting and finally dropped from the thread. Amazing that we have gotten so much distance from those threads that MinSec is now just a dim memory.

Truly, all of us have become old.

You absolutely meant it, Marla, and he knows it. You were completely in the right as well, but come on, let's not pretend.

Tiff! You're just getting the backs of their heads!

So Bets' propensity to livestream every key event in her life is often thrown out by the GC commentariat as evidence of her being Bad, but if Gunther wasn't cool with it he should have said something a loooooooooong time ago. Even today he's showing no sign of being annoyed about the filming of this intimate moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Tiff is filming her own reaction shot.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

goatface posted:

Minimum security.

Selachian posted:

Stephanie McMillan?

Powered Descent posted:

THANK you, trying to remember that was driving me bonkers.

Aw poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something. Now that Sylvia's back in circulation, I have to hold up my end of the bargain.

For those of you who haven't lived in thread reality for the past ten years: Over the course of the early 21st century, Stephanie McMillan's Minimum Security had evolved from a alt-weekly-style editorial cartoon into something which, from a certain angle, resembled a gag-a-day strip, with recurring characters, running gags, but still heavily leftist and heavily, heavily ecological.

So basically a save-the-Earth Little Lefty. You see why I started thinking about MiniSec again?

Those strips, from early 2010, came out on both GoComics and McMillan's MiniSec blog, the latter under the heading of "A grim, depressing, preachy comic about the (probably doomed) struggle to prevent global ecocide. Enjoy!" That was possibly the only advance hint of what she had up her sleeve, because on Earth Day 2010, the anthropomorphic one-eyed rabbit/munitions expert Bunnista blew up the power grid.

And then, without any prior warning or explanation, McMillan blew up MiniSec, or at least the version she had developed through the Bush 43 years. In the hardest of hard reboots, the strip was suddenly thrust into a longform narrative, presenting itself as "The thrilling story of revolutionaries saving the world from ecocidal maniacs!" And longtime central characters Kranti and Bananabelle, now with slightly more realistic character designs, were suddenly thrust into the center of a street protest.

(April 23, 27-May 1, 2010)

"My favorite direction is contrary" might serve as the best explanation for how we ended up with this. Anyway, for the purposes of MiniSec in the comic strip threads, this is roughly where I came in. Whoever was posting it before kind of wandered off early on, but when I see a creative person digging an interesting hole for themselves, I want to see how much they're willing to shovel. At the same time, ten years is a loooooong time, the last four years in particular have felt like twenty, and the west coast is cooking after the hottest June on record. The text hasn't changed in the past decade, so what about us?

Unfortunately, the further you go into the old threads, the more likely you are to hit long stretches of...um...these.

The Waffle files came back to us, but Imgur is the way it's always been; if you don't use a jpeg, you lose a jpeg. Which doesn't really do a longform narrative any favors at all.

Nevertheless, I've set myself to revisiting this, and fortunately(?) the whole storyline was collected in print (minus the news channel-style "Nag Tickers", which only lived on the MiniSec blog version). That means money may have to change hands to do it correctly.

Or to put it another way, money has changed hands so that I can do it correctly.

So once more down the rabbit hole, dear friends.

(Literally everything else later....I hope.)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

EasyEW posted:

Or to put it another way, money has changed hands so that I can do it correctly.

:stare:

Seriously, thank you for doing this. My brain's been broken over the many iterations of this thread but I recall Minimum Security being a hoot at the time. It brought us the Adventures of Bird and Coconut!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

[x] I am in this picture and I don't like it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

So once more down the rabbit hole, dear friends.

Holy poo poo, thank you for the detailed recap, and for taking on the job of posting this again! Really looking forward to it!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

One of my mom's favorite ways to demonstrate how insect populations are crashing (due to climate change) is by pointing out how this doesn't happen nearly as much anymore.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's funny how in the last 10-12 years how my personal politics have gotten more in line with MiniSec.

I mean, in a general sense. Not in a " Eat a ground mango that a rat gnawed on" and " abandon all civilization, tech and knowledge and return to a hunter-gather system" that she espoused.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, in a general sense. Not in a " Eat a ground mango that a rat gnawed on" and " abandon all civilization, tech and knowledge and return to a hunter-gather system" that she espoused.

That's her whole deal though. You could be a card-carrying Communist and still be farther from her than you are from the average American liberal. I still remember she went completely berserk when someone pointed out her ideology was basically identical to the Khmer Rouge.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kavak posted:

That's her whole deal though. You could be a card-carrying Communist and still be farther from her than you are from the average American liberal. I still remember she went completely berserk when someone pointed out her ideology was basically identical to the Khmer Rouge.

I...know? I was around in the threads when it was still being posted.

TO anyone who doesn't know, she, literally, ate a mango off the ground, that had been chewed on by a rat.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: nm

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 9, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The rest of your irregularly scheduled comics:

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus ow:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
was MinSec one where some dude fell in love with the main girl, and he somehow ended up half animal so she felt obliged to like him now?

I swear this isn't Holbrook for once.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Back in 1979 There was no "Q" on the 7 of the dial of the typical phone. No "Z" on the 9, either.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 10, 2021

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

MinSec felt almost as key to the early comics threads as Foob was, to the point that it was grandfathered into new threads despite breaking No Webcomic rules. And then McMillan changed the format to single panels rather than an ongoing story and it instantly became far less interesting and finally dropped from the thread. Amazing that we have gotten so much distance from those threads that MinSec is now just a dim memory.

Truly, all of us have become old.

Excuse me, kid, but you may have become old, but I have become very old, thank you.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cowslips Warren posted:

was MinSec one where some dude fell in love with the main girl, and he somehow ended up half animal so she felt obliged to like him now?

I swear this isn't Holbrook for once.

That's...remarkably accurate, actually.

(March 17-19, 2010)

It's all coming back to you now, isn't it? Goooooooooooooooooooooooood. :unsmigghh:

gleebster posted:

Excuse me, kid, but you may have become old, but I have become very old, thank you.

Sure, you're very, very old, but are you horribly, horribly old?

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (November 25, 1933)

Peanuts (July 12, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 8, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 21-23, 1936; spoiler for the usual reason)

Dok's "NEW WEAPON ACQUIRED" Duck (September 5, 1913)

Guessing that the "interurban" is the Puget Sound Electric Railway, which ran from Seattle to Tacoma between 1902-1928.

Little Lefty (January 14-16, 1935)

Ella Reeve “Mother” Bloor (1862-1951) was a union organizer and women's rights advocate as far back as the late 19th century. She was also the most prominent female leader in the Communist Party of the United States, friend and collaborator with Eugene Debs and Upton Sinclair, and beloved enough by the US Communists that the party celebrated her birthday.

And that's where stop for the night...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 10, 2021

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 25, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 1, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 28, 1936)

Mopsy (March 29, 1937)

Up Front (May 10, 1944)

Dark Laughter (May 24, 1947)

“And when I say NO, I mean NO … An’ I don’t see what Spring is got to do with it anyhow!”

Those Were the Days (April 1, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 18, 1965)

Dogbert February 8, 1966

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Aw poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something. Now that Sylvia's back in circulation, I have to hold up my end of the bargain.

For those of you who haven't lived in thread reality for the past ten years: Over the course of the early 21st century, Stephanie McMillan's Minimum Security had evolved from a alt-weekly-style editorial cartoon into something which, from a certain angle, resembled a gag-a-day strip, with recurring characters, running gags, but still heavily leftist and heavily, heavily ecological.

Thanks, I hate it (even though I brought this on myself/the thread.)

Actually I hate it way less than before. It’s still a bit of an eyeroll, but then again I rolled my eyes at my freegan friends at the time who are now antifa supersoldiers, so I guess it all evens out? It’s much less visually unpleasant than I remember, but the characterizations are
still pretty annoying. Thanks for going to all the effort of digging this up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLXs3Np93s

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUjeR01wnU

And now your daily double dose!

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (May 24, 1947)

“And when I say NO, I mean NO … An’ I don’t see what Spring is got to do with it anyhow!”

I like how the women in Dark Laughter never take Bootsie's poo poo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

So Bets' propensity to livestream every key event in her life is often thrown out by the GC commentariat as evidence of her being Bad, but if Gunther wasn't cool with it he should have said something a loooooooooong time ago. Even today he's showing no sign of being annoyed about the filming of this intimate moment.

Gunther barely seems aware of what is happening. He is turning into corrugated cardboard before our eyes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maltesh posted:

Back in 1979 There was no "Q" on the 7 of the dial of the typical phone. No "Z" on the 9, either.

But that would be a total cheat. Q and Z were used in fake phone numbers for fiction for exactly that reason. If that's the answer, it'd be exactly the same as if a character on a TV show looked at a phone number that's like 555-xxxx and saying "hey, that's not a real number, 555 numbers are the fake phone numbers that they use on TV shows!" even though they're actually on a drat TV show.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

EasyEW posted:

Sure, you're very, very old, but are you horribly, horribly old?

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

For those just joining us, on Tuesday, Darin asked the hyper-brachioencephalic guy what caused the break between him and his fellow komix artist. Surprise! He knew all along and was wasting everyone's time!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

Gunther barely seems aware of what is happening. He is turning into corrugated cardboard before our eyes.

He doesn't care. The only thing that offended him was that Bets was unclear about their relationship status. He needed her to decide where they were. Beep boop.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Uhoh, that's twice that Heathcliff has made me laugh this week. It's wearing me down.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

loving hell, there are jellyfish with more spine than Gunther. The way Team Evans wants to pin all the blame of the relationship problems on Bets means that they wrote Gunther making absolutely no decisions with regards to their relationship. He's so loving blank and gormless that he's pretty much emotionally distant with everything that's happening.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Considering it's canon that Crankshaft only uses three squares of toilet paper to clean his rear end, I'm choosing to believe he's rolling in his own poo poo here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: sons of the father (May 27 - June 2, 2002)

Welcome to Letsbeshittytovinsville, enjoy your stay!

Modern Kevin & Kell

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/9/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/31 - 11/2/46

As you might guess from context, Hoover ratings were the radio equivalent of Nielsen ratings, tracking how many people were listening to a particular program.

Smokey Stover 3/15/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 10, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Facts From the World

TegneHanne

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Too lazy to do Curtis repeats, we'll come back to that next week.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Revolver Ocelot shakes his head disapprovingly, or Just as Blueberry gets volunteered, so does McClure, or How will our heros get out of this predicament?!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 7/9/01

Aww, Satch! I think you’re handsome and mighty.

Honestly the faces in this strip are so good. Even Bucky can be adorably vulnerable when he’s with his stuffy, like a little while ago when he was scared of the trolls in Harry Potter :3:

quote:

A hat for the ages, imo.

Posting early, still trying to find a good rhythm with my ever-changing schedule!

Classic Zits

“Honk my folks off” :lol:

Sylvia

One of my all time favorite strips and recurring gags right here

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (November 26, 1994)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 03, 1946)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
One thing that impresses me about the storytelling in Valiant is the way that no matter where they go an entourage of armsmen and assistants materialize around them. Lost in the desert? Here's some hardy men with swords and free time. And none of it feels artificial, it's just the sheer force of presence of Val or Aleta that impels people to join them in service.