Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenning, I wanna trade Endo for Ichinojo. Poor dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
After an opening four days of going 3-2 every day, my virtual heya has posted its first make-koshi of the basho. I implore everyone to do their best, go forward with strength and purpose, and impose their sumo styles.

(I really hope this comes down to Hakuho vs Teru on the last day)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

verbal enema posted:

It fucks me up so much

Steroids are good actually.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The best henka I think I've seen is ishiura on tochinoshin. Sent him spiraling out of the dohyo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

watching sumo live for the first time this basho and i'm now a ichiyamamoto fan for one simple reason. his shikona (一山本) is the only one outside of aoiyama'ds that i can read in japanese without relying on furigana

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

ilmucche posted:

The best henka I think I've seen is ishiura on tochinoshin. Sent him spiraling out of the dohyo

:hmmyes: that was a real good one. I think midorifuji also got a really really good one recently

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Gagamaru is on the Abema broadcast tonight, it's a little hard to tell with the mask but he looks like he's lost a lot of weight, seems fairly comfortable on the mic.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ilmucche posted:

The best henka of all time was pulled by Tochinoshin.

Some background: Tochinoshin has fallen from ozeki to sekiwake and needs 10 wins to regain ozeki status. He's 9-3 on day 13 when the judges absolutely absolutely rob him of his 10th win in a mono-ii, in favor of Asanoyama.

The next day, he pulls off this masterpiece, securing his 10 wins while simultaneously telling the Sumo Association to eat poo poo.

(okay technically that's not a true henka, because Tochinoshin makes contact before the sidestep, but it's definitely a henka in spirit and so it counts imo)

Khizan fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 9, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Tochinoshin is just absolutely built in that clip. Just startlingly better upper body musculature than most rikishi.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ah, drat, poor Endo. Out with a hamstring.

Trade Endo for Takanosho or Hokutofuji, please.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mbovo died again

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochinoshin is just absolutely built in that clip. Just startlingly better upper body musculature than most rikishi.

Very sad I caught Tochi towards the end of his career because watching this extremely buff dude do extremely buff things is very entertaining.

What is less entertaining is seeing a quite buff broken dude henka one of my fantasy guys to get a win :argh:

Still love him though.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The correct strategy for playing this game is to pick your favorites regardless of their win/loss record.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Mbovo died again

Yeah, I was on another stream and the viewer count tripled with mbovo refugees after that stream went down. Predictably, the chat quality went from chill and funny to nearly in-game Valorant levels of toxicity.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman posted:

The correct strategy for playing this game is to pick your favorites regardless of their win/loss record.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Dias posted:

Same. God drat it, my team outside of Terunofuji is a disaster

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ah poo poo I didn't realize there was a new thread but I also haven't been watching for a year or two anyway

anyways what up Hakuho glad to see you back

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh man blast from the past on kinta, remember when Shouhouzan was the plucky tiny guy?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I have a fond Shouhouzan memory of him getting into a staredown with someone and then doing a nuclear rocket takeoff of a tachai and blowing his opponent into the second or third row

It's at least five or six years ago and I know nothing else about it, but I think he was in his golden mawashi at the time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All Tamawashi had to do was sidestep! Caught like a deer in Aoiyama's headlights.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NuclearPotato posted:

While we eagerly await the start of Day 6 action, have some photos of wrestlers getting COVID shots to tide you over: https://twitter.com/aryaryagi/status/1413054102670438407

400lb men crashing into each other’s faces with the momentum of a freight train: A-ok!
Tiny needle: I’m dyin!

:q:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Well, to be fair, the needle is actually bigger than average:

https://twitter.com/heatherjochens/status/1408143630888583168

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh totally. I’m being facetious but also not facetious at the same time ;)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Whew! Caught up on everything (was traveling again). Let's do some thread business first.

bessantj posted:

He also has three special prizes which you think would put him over the top, but never underestimate the YDC and how they see things.

Poor old Endo. Can I trade ENDO for HOSHORYU please, I want to mess another wrestlers record up! :D

Scythe posted:

Also requesting to trade Endo for Hoshoryu. I don't think I've ever traded twice before, injuries are extra fun this time.

Neodoomium posted:

Same (Endo->Hoshoryu). God drat it, my team outside of Terunofuji is a disaster

Vargatron posted:

I would like to trade Endo for Ichinojo. Failing that, Hokutofuji.

NuclearPotato posted:

Man, this first fantasy basho for me has been absolutely cursed outside of Hakuho continuing to clean up. Wakatakakage has been doing well too, to be fair; he's just been losing very close matches, is all. Going to keep living on the edge with my picks and trade Endo for Tobizaru.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I’d like to trade Endo for Hoshoryu. If Hoshoryu is taken by too many teams, I’d like Tobizaru.

Cage Kicker posted:

Request to trade Endo for Takanosho

my loving roster is cursed as hell this basho, bad luck first time in Sekiwae

Netsky posted:

I'd like to trade Endo for Hokutofuji/Hoshoryu/Ichinojo. Thanks for accepting my late request last time.

Dias posted:

All registered for Day 6. Everyone got first picks. Neodoomium, you requested Hoshoryu for day 6 and then Ichinojo for day 7. I went with Hoshoryu since that was the earlier post. I assume it was just a brain fart.

Log082 posted:

Ah, drat, poor Endo. Out with a hamstring.

Trade Endo for Takanosho or Hokutofuji, please.

Registered for day 7, first picks again.

Jobbo_Fett and Sivad, you should put in a trade request to get rid of Endo.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hey comish -- I'm dying out here! Did my trade not go thru? Am I still stuck with Takakeisho

Your trade went through! It just went through for Day 4, since you requested it on Day 3, and I haven't updated standings because I was traveling. You got Hakuho!

Khizan posted:

The best henka of all time was pulled by Tochinoshin.

Some background: Tochinoshin has fallen from ozeki to sekiwake and needs 10 wins to regain ozeki status. He's 9-3 on day 13 when the judges absolutely absolutely rob him of his 10th win in a mono-ii, in favor of Asanoyama.

The next day, he pulls off this masterpiece, securing his 10 wins while simultaneously telling the Sumo Association to eat poo poo.

(okay technically that's not a true henka, because Tochinoshin makes contact before the sidestep, but it's definitely a henka in spirit and so it counts imo)

This was the greatest henka ever and I cackled about it all weekend.

Okay, current standings in the next post.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 6 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
21	Skjorte
20	bartolimu
20	captainblastum
20	Kenning
20	Lid
19	Everyones Favorite Poster
19	GoatSeeGuy
19	jmzero
19	MalarkeyToboggan
18	Beeswax
18	Fluffdaddy
18	Ice Phisherman
18	Maigius
18	MyChemicalImbalance
18	scripterror
17	Brut
17	Dias
17	Khizan
17	Pakled
17	ratmosphere
17	Teddybear
17	Tochiazuma
17	whats for dinner
16	Banana Canada
16	Biosys
16	Crusty Nutsack
16	Marching Powder
16	pseudodragon
16	Shiroc
16	Thauros
16	Tiny Bug Child
16	Vargatron
15	anakha
15	Jobbo_Fett
15	Neodoomium
15	QuasiQuack
15	sivad
14.5	Scythe
14	bessantj
14	Charles Gnarwin
14	Chinook
14	Helianthus Annuus
14	Liquid Communism
13.5	Cage Kicker
13	Robviously
Juryo

code:
18	TwoWordName
16	Bellwether
16	Eli949
16	KungFu Grip
16	LlamaTrauma
16	rare Magic card l00k
15	Communist Thoughts
15	Halloween Jack
15	Martytoof
14.5	Netsky
14	NuclearPotato
12	Log082
11	ilmucche
10	Foehammer007
10	Glugglugs

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Very sad I caught Tochi towards the end of his career because watching this extremely buff dude do extremely buff things is very entertaining.
When I started watching sumo in 2017, maybe? (I happened to see new makuuchi boy Onosho tearing up the place and tuned in to see more), Tochinoshin was kind of a joke at our house. He was doing really badly, so we'd be like, "You'd never believe who lost today. Yep: the Georgian. I know, shocker!"

And then he got better. A lot better. Won the whole drat thing and became ozeki. And he's kind of never been the same since, which is sad. But he's not a joke around here anymore; we're rooting for him like crazy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

This was the greatest henka ever and I cackled about it all weekend.

Okay, current standings in the next post.

You can tell it's a fantastic henka, because the audience is applauding a henka in a sekiwake-yokozuna match, and Jason, who normally hates to see a henka, is just like "Welp. That's a henka." without the usual "oh come on!" style commentary.

Also it's unreal that even a 40% Hakuho is still making everybody he fights look like a clown.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 9, 2021

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ah yes, it's my traditional "hey my team looks surprisingly good heading into the middle weekend" period of optimism before reality sets in and I end up in the lower half of fantasy at the end of the basho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

You can tell it's a fantastic henka, because the audience is applauding a henka in a sekiwake-yokozuna match, and Jason, who normally hates to see a henka, is just like "Welp. That's a henka." without the usual "oh come on!" style commentary.

Also it's unreal that even a 40% Hakuho is still making everybody he fights look like a clown.

I keep reminding my GF that Hakuho is basically retiring at his "lowest" and EVEN THEN he's still way better than 90% of the top division because it's really hard to grasp if you haven't been following the sport.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Your trade went through! It just went through for Day 4, since you requested it on Day 3, and I haven't updated standings because I was traveling. You got Hakuho!

thanks commissioner!

i guess there was some other reason why i was down so many points lol

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
by tradition however whenever I have a start this bad it means my dudes were all saving themselves for the second half

however usually half my roster isn't injured. Fast healing to all the rikishi :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I also kind of wait for the 2nd week of bouts as well because my upper ranking Maegashira generally have issues with the sanyaku ranks at first. That said, Endo's injury and Meisei having a tepid start has definitely hurt my title defense.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I had been planning to trade Tochinoshin on day 4, and then he pulled out two more wins so gently caress it. I'm sticking with the Georgian giant, even if he goes 2-13.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thanks, buddy. Yeah I had just woken up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Khizan posted:

I had been planning to trade Tochinoshin on day 4, and then he pulled out two more wins so gently caress it. I'm sticking with the Georgian giant, even if he goes 2-13.

I swear this happens like CLOCKWORK. As soon as you make a trade that wrestler will bust out like 3 or 4 wins in a row.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

And whoever you traded to drops his next 2 bouts.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

I swear this happens like CLOCKWORK. As soon as you make a trade that wrestler will bust out like 3 or 4 wins in a row.

The first time I did sumo I traded a guy who lost his first 4 matches and then he went 6 wins in a row I think. I never trade anymore except for injury.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My last trade was Hoshoryu a few bashos back. Traded when he was 0-5, and he proceeded to win nine straight and end up at 9-6.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Cage Kicker posted:

The first time I did sumo I traded a guy who lost his first 4 matches and then he went 6 wins in a row I think. I never trade anymore except for injury.

Yeah, this. It's also fun cheering for the guys in your fantasy heya who aren't doing so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't have to worry about trade or injury impacts because I will never change my initial lineup of guys, even if I'm stuck with Mitakeumi.