Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001

This is what Shooter McGavin warned us about 25 years ago.

Holy poo poo, Happy Gilmore was 25 years ago, I feel old as gently caress right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wtf lol

amazing what you get away with when you're confident about it

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Went in for a putter fitting today and bought a white hot og #7 with stroke lab shaft. The guy said my stroke with my old putter — this ancient top flite xl piece of steel — was surprisingly good, considering, but with the white hot (and a 1 inch shorter shaft) I had a demonstrably better angle and cluster of hits around the center of the face rather than on the toe. I sank actually slightly more putts with my old putter than the new one in the test, but my misses on the new one were all much closer to the hole than my misses with the old putter, so hopefully that will play out over the long run.

Was more expensive than I had hoped but felt real nice so let's see if it works!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

This weekend I won my club championship for the 4th straight time in the last 5 years (2019 was rained out and never rescheduled). It was the first club championship that my score wasn’t lower than the previous year after 7 straight years of doing that which was disappointing but I knew that streak had to end sooner rather than later.

I decided to buy a Mizuno ST Z driver just to mess around since TXG and other online reviews have been stellar and I haven’t gotten a single new club in over a year and was feeling the itch. My Ping G410 Plus has been performing pretty well so I’m not sure what I’m hoping for other than a little more ball speed but there’s a place near me that has a GC Quad so I plan on spending some time there in the next few weeks to get numbers across my entire bag.

Congrats dude! What format is your CC?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Petey posted:

Went in for a putter fitting today and bought a white hot og #7 with stroke lab shaft. The guy said my stroke with my old putter — this ancient top flite xl piece of steel — was surprisingly good, considering, but with the white hot (and a 1 inch shorter shaft) I had a demonstrably better angle and cluster of hits around the center of the face rather than on the toe. I sank actually slightly more putts with my old putter than the new one in the test, but my misses on the new one were all much closer to the hole than my misses with the old putter, so hopefully that will play out over the long run.

Was more expensive than I had hoped but felt real nice so let's see if it works!

I love my stroke labs number #7. Out of curiosity is this a similar style putter you would’ve bought without a fitting? Idk what I would do if I got fitted and had the best numbers with a center shafted putter :barf:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BCRock posted:

Congrats dude! What format is your CC?

It's just two rounds of stroke play. Our turnout is pretty bad though and I really wish the owner would commit to some better incentives like 2-3 flights and discounted memberships the following year for anyone in the top 3 of a flight or something like that. I got a free polo with the course logo on it for winning lol. It's also rough to have it on 4th of July weekend especially since another nearby course has theirs the same weekend and quite a few people are members at both and always choose to play in that tournament instead of ours.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rocking a Versa #7 for years now. I've had other putters but it keeps finding it's way back in the bag. I especially like how easy it is to pick my ball up with

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

dangling pointer posted:

I love my stroke labs number #7. Out of curiosity is this a similar style putter you would’ve bought without a fitting? Idk what I would do if I got fitted and had the best numbers with a center shafted putter :barf:

Take it back! Center shafted putters are my jam

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
oh yeah, Top Tracer report from last Saturday. It worked well enough and ball speeds were off 10 mph and distance 10 yds as expected with the lovely range balls. I only did the practice mode.

Also my local mega-range was packed by 7:05 AM, the non-Top Tracer side was not though, lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hate, hate slow greens.

Practice green, fast. Starter: the greens are like the practice green and will be fast today.

Me: 3 putt first hole. Leave first putt well short, convince myself it was slightly up hill.

Twenty putts on the front nine, two over even though I hit all nine greens in regulation.

17 putts on the back only because I chipped to within a foot on one of the four greens I missed into the back nine.

On the eighteenth hole I left a long putt well short. Made the six footer for par when it dropped in with nothing left on the front of the cup.

18 holes, never had the speed registered.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dangling pointer posted:

Yes. I was already putting with a similar shafted, one-inch-longer, mallet putter with a rounded back. But the numbers convinced me the manta ray shape was superior. I putted great with it yesterday while walking 18 at the little local course. I was totally unconscious actually — shot 5 over for the front 9 with no warmup, which is by far my best ever, but then 13 over on the back, lol. In fairness to me, with Elsa, the back 9 was a total swamp, with huge ponds of standing water in some fairways. But I only paid $30 to walk 18 in 3 hrs and it was a nice night.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Yes. I was already putting with a similar shafted, one-inch-longer, mallet putter with a rounded back. But the numbers convinced me the manta ray shape was superior. I putted great with it yesterday while walking 18 at the little local course. I was totally unconscious actually — shot 5 over for the front 9 with no warmup, which is by far my best ever, but then 13 over on the back, lol. In fairness to me, with Elsa, the back 9 was a total swamp, with huge ponds of standing water in some fairways. But I only paid $30 to walk 18 in 3 hrs and it was a nice night.

Three hour rounds are the perfect balance. I play alone in 2 with a cart, but I don't enjoy it as much as 3 walking.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

I hit a 40 yard liner into the middle of the fairway from the base of a tree, left handed using the back of my 3 iron today that made my wife roll her eyes and say 'you're ridiculous' :smug:

Very rewarding bogey save.
lol I love/hate this game every drat day.

The left hand punch out is my second favorite goofy punchout. The backward, right handed, one handed punch out is king.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I really need to get a reliable driver swing.

Right now I'm leaving it in the bag and just hitting out of every tee box with my 5 iron. It's working pretty well since I can hit it straight, but there' just less room for error when my second shot is so far out.

The driver just feels like such a different swing, and any swing that feels close to natural tends to slice off the planet.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

I really need to get a reliable driver swing.

Right now I'm leaving it in the bag and just hitting out of every tee box with my 5 iron. It's working pretty well since I can hit it straight, but there' just less room for error when my second shot is so far out.

The driver just feels like such a different swing, and any swing that feels close to natural tends to slice off the planet.

On the range, tee the driver up high, grip it so far up the shaft your hand is almost hanging off and swing so hard you hurt yourself. Do five or so like that until you really connect with one (slice, hook, doesn't matter), until you feel like center of the face.

Now, grip down about an inch on the club and try to hit a ball about 150 yards with a real 50% swing. Then slowly increase your swing speed.

None of this will cure any real swing defect, but it can go a long way towards getting you some comfort and out of a bad head space.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Been golfing for about 5 years and finally broke 90. Shot an 85. Feels good to finally have a full, competant round. Left a lot of puts out there, as well as some bad bump and runs, but it feels great to finally get a breakthrough round.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I broke my Callaway edge 3W that I got from Costco and Callaway replaced it with a Mavrick 3W for free :toot:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this is a fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sw1IMJmV74

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Shot a 53 on 9 today, lost my swing almost completely on the last two holes, but on 8 I 1-putted a 40 yard or so bomb to save par and I bogeyed 9 after chipping one over the green, leaving the next chip short by 10 feet and sinking the third.

e: 40 foot not yard putt

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Plank Walker posted:

Shot a 53 on 9 today, lost my swing almost completely on the last two holes, but on 8 I 1-putted a 40 yard or so bomb to save par and I bogeyed 9 after chipping one over the green, leaving the next chip short by 10 feet and sinking the third.

That's some awfully good stuff going on to build on.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

A man of culture, I see

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In case anyone else is interested, the guy who posted the Garmin R10 review did a QA on a few of the big questions regarding the device itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrMqvmAM6s

Looks like it's doing an educated guess on spin, which makes since...not sure how the device would really do that without a frame of reference (like that silver dot) if it's doppler based. Still, it looks very impressive! He gave glowing feedback on how accurate it is - moreso than the Approach G80 even.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

A man of culture, I see

NLU is probably my favorite golf youtube channel. The recent film room of Soly blowing up a tournament is amazing.

This one went up today and i find a few of these guys obnoxious as gently caress but the title surprisingly is not clickbait. The two most bonkers back to back shots I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nEbNJZ37zs&t=503s

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah some of the Goodgood guys tend to be annoying imo but that was a crazy series of shots.

The R10 looks really impressive but I want to see a good video with someone hitting a variety of shots and comparing the R10 data to GCQuad or something similar.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat imagine having to stand near those people for more than 30 seconds.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Does anyone else not break/hinge their wrists during their swing?

While waiting around for the folks in front of us today and chatting with my dad and brother on the tee box I realized that I basically don't break my wrists at all, which is apparently...not how their swing works.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Petey posted:

While waiting around for the folks in front of us today and chatting with my dad and brother on the tee box I realized that I basically don't break my wrists at all, which is apparently...not how their swing works.

my father has a waist high backswing with no wrist hinge at all. all his clubhead speed comes from his lower body and forearms. he was down to a 1 in his prime.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Petey posted:

so at the top of your backswing the club is just sticking straight out behind you?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Isn't that basically what a one plane swing is? That's what I use to great effect combined with one length clubs. Folks say my swing looks "stiff" but it's to build consistency with my shot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: British Open thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973228 :siren:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Open Championship*

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Open Championship*

Nah it’s the British this year. England just Englanded hard in the Euros so this seems an appropriate way to memorialize it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Petey posted:

Addressing my putter, I make 'finger guns' and let my left index finger shoot 'down the barrel' of my right, while putting more weight into my right hip,

Are you telling me that's not how putting works???

:)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 12, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Under Armour's doing their big semi annual sale if any of y'all need stuff. I still swear by their pants.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

That left handed dude from TXG doesn’t seem to break his wrists. And he absolutely roasts the ball

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Critical posted:

my father has a waist high backswing with no wrist hinge at all. all his clubhead speed comes from his lower body and forearms. he was down to a 1 in his prime.

AndrewP posted:

so at the top of your backswing the club is just sticking straight out behind you?

My backswing is higher than that, but (as I try to break it down for the first time ever), I think it's because of my grip. I hold the club basically with my left hand on the top, and my right hand almost under, like a tennis racket. This, plus torso rotation, allows me to get it up and back, but then my clubhead speed comes from my torso rotation and forearms. Although I also try to avoid using my hips too much, because if I do that I generate more speed but always slice. With my strength and mobility, I can get enough speed with just that.

Kirios posted:

Isn't that basically what a one plane swing is? That's what I use to great effect combined with one length clubs. Folks say my swing looks "stiff" but it's to build consistency with my shot.

Yeah, I got the Moe Norman book (or the book about Moe Norman) and realized I basically have taught myself to try to do that (I've never had lessons), except without one length clubs. I posted a lot about trying them last year but didn't. But yes, that was what I intuited myself to over many years, and what I'm trying to master now that I've actually had some clubs fitted to me.

Of course, now the proof will be if I can get down to a sub 10 handicap like Critical's dad. Maybe!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

you know I know golf is frustrating and that's part of the game, but I'm getting real sick of "lost in plain sight" balls and having to take stroke and distance penalties because there's a hill preventing me from seeing where the ball landed

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AndrewP posted:

you know I know golf is frustrating and that's part of the game, but I'm getting real sick of "lost in plain sight" balls and having to take stroke and distance penalties because there's a hill preventing me from seeing where the ball landed

Don't, then.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Don't, then.

I should probably switch to yellow or pink balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Big Beef City posted:

Don't, then.

Same. It's not like you have an army of spotters out there.