Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesla-hatchback-dollar25k-price-release-date-possible-range-and-more
Tesla hot hatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Luckily, I live on the east coast and there is a pretty nice charging infrastructure down the highways here, and eve have two downtown in my rural neighborhood in Connecticut. Anytime I need to make a long trip that isn't just down the coast, I'll either drive or take my fiance's Elantra. I am all in on the electric.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They're saying 2 years to release, in Tesla Time (TM) that's probably actually 3-4 years, which is about when I expected to reconsider whether to go from PHEV to full EV, so that would likely be in my consideration.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Powershift posted:

Also apparently this is something that is for sale?

https://www.kandiamerica.com/electric-vehicle-K27/

Are these actually on sale yet, or this still in the "we're here, trust us!" phase? I can't even find any videos of real people driving these in the US.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

GoutPatrol posted:

Are these actually on sale yet, or this still in the "we're here, trust us!" phase? I can't even find any videos of real people driving these in the US.

I know they had a lot full of them in Texas last year. I don't know if they've actually figured out how to properly sell them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I'm going to drive the Niro EV from Carlsbad to Idyllwild next week.

It's only 92 miles but it's a climb.

Very unclear (even with the apps) what charging stations are there, I see mention of one Tesla setup with a separate 220v and 110v charger.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
We got a Pacifica PHEV last month and it's been awesome so far. We have a daily commute that's about 20 miles so for that we use all electric, every day since I had a nema 14-50 installed and we bought an upgraded charger (full charge takes about 2 hours). We've taken one long-ish trip to visit family and it performed great. We've had it almost 2 months and have used about 75% of a tank of gas.

Feels good man.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

Very unclear (even with the apps) what charging stations are there, I see mention of one Tesla setup with a separate 220v and 110v charger.

Honestly, you could ask reddit electricvehicles if there's somebody who knows the area.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

abrp seems to say a full round trip is possible on a full charge. is there some other complexity that makes you nervous?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lifting the Niro’s weight a mile into the air takes takes almost eight kilowatt hours at perfect efficiency. Maybe ten after losses in the drivetrain are taken into account.

Now, you should get most of that back on the way down, but if you lost sixteen percent of your real range, could you make the trip?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

It's a big climb but it should be a piece of cake with 64 kWh fully charged. Looking at Plugshare, there's some J1772 and 50 kW you could route past on the way back so you have a bailout option. Once you've regen'ed to the bottom of the hill on the return it should be pretty clear if you need to worry about it or not.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Speaking of, the ev subreddit is pretty good when it's not devolving into Tesla vs Volkswagen pissing or PHEV fearmongering. I'm a mod on the discord for it! All the subreddit mods basically hosed off so now I'm helping run an electric car discord vaguely attached to Reddit. :shepface:

Here's an invite link if anyone wants to join, hopefully that's chill to share here? https://discord.gg/hd7PpEudjQ

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Westy543 posted:

so now I'm helping run an electric car discord vaguely attached to Reddit. :shepface:

Why would you do this to yourself?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly, getting paid by big PHEV

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Clearly, getting paid by big PHEV

Dammit, missed the edit. :mad: Was gonna assign "big plug-in" as a nickname to undeserving parts of my anatomy.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

gwrtheyrn posted:

Why would you do this to yourself?

Honesty I ask myself this a lot. But mostly so I can toss weirdos.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Dammit, missed the edit. :mad: Was gonna assign "big plug-in" as a nickname to undeserving parts of my anatomy.

I shouldn't have changed it. Especially considering I really detest the acronym "PHEV"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I discovered today that I can switch my PHEV Ioniq into sport mode on the freeway, drop it down from 6th gear to 5th and it charges the battery really fast, despite not having an official "charge battery mode" like the Prius Prime. Like a mile of charge per 1-2 miles driven at 60mph.

I did see my gas milage start to take a gigantic dump when I did that though, which isn't surprising. I guess one could use that if they're coming off of a road trip and have depleted their battery and want to charge it back up to have the more pleasant EV driving while in the city near their destination.

Probably not going to do that again though.

Kinda weird how it can charge the battery at something like a 9.6 kw rate while doing that, but the most it can do with its built in battery charger, when given 240v power and 40 amps, is about 3.12 kw.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to assume a feature that wastes energy for no gain isn't something they would bother to advertise.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Kinda weird how it can charge the battery at something like a 9.6 kw rate while doing that, but the most it can do with its built in battery charger, when given 240v power and 40 amps, is about 3.12 kw.

That's not odd at all, AC charge rates are always limited by the size of the on onboard charger.

My Leaf can only charge at 3.3kw from AC but will regen almost 30kw in ideal conditions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

dissss posted:

That's not odd at all, AC charge rates are always limited by the size of the on onboard charger.

My Leaf can only charge at 3.3kw from AC but will regen almost 30kw in ideal conditions.

I guess it's an entirely different component doing the recharging while driving, the motor, so it's probably only limited by the power of the motor and what the BMS will accept.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
DC->DC vs AC->DC. So it's more like plugging into Chademo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The motor’s still generating AC current but the inverter can handle more power than the onboard charger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VideoGameVet posted:

For what it's worth, I don't remember seeing any public chargers in the main town area.

Plugshare says a few over by Fern Valley a little ways up the road, or at the Fireside Inn (lol $25 suggested donation).

Also looks like you can hit Banning/Anza/Hemet before the Big Climb if it looks iffy.
Like Ola said, Plugshare is your friend.

I love Idyllwild and really want to hit it up in the Winter some day, but Snow Chains...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fame Douglas posted:

I shouldn't have changed it. Especially considering I really detest the acronym "PHEV"

partially hydro electric vehicle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dissss posted:

The second generation Prius could regen twenty kilowatts on one point three kilowatt‐hours of battery.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There is a fairly steep grade nearly a mile long close to me. Set in L mode and in cruise control my Volt will regen at around 40kW for almost the entire length. Can sometimes get a whole kWh back, adding an entire bar back to battery gauge.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Y'all remember when gasoline started coming out that would clean your engine somehow? I want to get a jump on bringing this to EVs. Help me think of how to pitch this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, what if you had a big rear end fan in the ground to blow air up while you're L3 charging your LEAF, Marilyn Monroe style? I bet we could charge like 10¢/kWh extra for "charger thermal management".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cruft posted:

Y'all remember when gasoline started coming out that would clean your engine somehow? I want to get a jump on bringing this to EVs. Help me think of how to pitch this.

Just rebrand audiophile stuff. Sell charging cables that deliver cleaner power with gold plated everything

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

Just rebrand audiophile stuff. Sell charging cables that deliver cleaner power with gold plated everything

Monster Energy.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

Giant ferrite cores to put on your charging cable.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sell Full Self-Driving that isn't actually full self-driving

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MomJeans420 posted:

Sell Full Self-Driving that isn't actually full self-driving

Nah, they’ll never fall for that.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Electricity cleaner, in case you have dirty power

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pure quartz crystal EVSE cable stands. don't want stray capacitance affecting your charging.

Only $995 each!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Online UPS for virgin waveforms

e: Wait I’ll bet we can sell someone a rotary converter. Reject transistors. Embrace tradition.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

e: Wait I’ll bet we can sell someone a rotary converter. Reject transistors. Embrace tradition.

I was just thinking this.

"Did you know your EV can charge from THREE phases? But your home electricity only has one, and it's split in half. You're only getting one sixth of the phases as a European EV owner would have. The Euro Rotary EV Phasor: BUY NOW!"

edit: Patent Pending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Kunabomber posted:

Electricity cleaner, in case you have dirty power

Make an entirely cosmetic box with a few small solar panels, say it converts your electricity to clean, renewable energy. Like the size of one of those solar cell phone cases.