Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Xlorp posted:

Let Tzeentch show you The Way

(RAFM Leng Spider as Tzeentch Titan)

Tzeentch would be the WORST at showing you the way

never ask for directions from Tzeentch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Horus has his chapter too! It's black and gold scheme, despite the photo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, that Titan is VERY happy to see me.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Krieg in plastic...

I have never bought anything 40K but this is tempting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Horus has his chapter too! It's black and gold scheme, despite the photo

hah I've been thinking "what an interesting choice, making all your armies shades of purple"

e. is this more color accurate? It looks like your camera is going hog on magenta to the tune of like +50%

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 9, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Funzo posted:

I know current Kill Team isn't looked upon very favorably, but I don't know why. What's wrong with the game as it is now? I haven't played, so I don't know what people are hoping they fix.

It's not bad but it falls into the typical GW pitfalls. That is:

It's too expensive for what it is. For a lite skirmish experience, you're expected to buy stuff like a $60 box to use one specific figure. (This is easily overcome with bits sellers or owning a 40k army, but it's a hurdle if you're starting cold.)

It's doesn't acknowledge other games. Advancements in skirmish gaming are included in stuff like Warcry or Underworlds, but KT is downright boring. Especially compared to what's going on in indies and historicals today.

I'd add the uneven factions, too many rulebooks, no accessible boxed starter, fragmented play formats (Commanders? Elites? Vanilla?) and occasional RNG bullshit. There's no community, and no real reason other than brand loyalty to get invested, as it doesn't really produce any unique experience.

They played it safe and produced an inoffensive, middle-of-the-road "GW" game in the same way Doritos made those "Taco Bell" chips that tasted vaguely like everything Taco Bell makes at once.

It doesn't suck in its current form, but it falls very short of its potential. I'm excited to see what they can pull off with a second attempt, especially given what they've been doing with the 40k Crusade rules.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

hah I've been thinking "what an interesting choice, making all your armies shades of purple"

e. is this more color accurate? It looks like your camera is going hog on magenta to the tune of like +50%

This is better. The black is true and deep here, and the Horus eyes on the Thunderhawks are so frickin' rad.

Got more Epic sized fun coming...

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Chaos Hordes

18 Chaos Squats
8 Chaos Androids
4 Chaos Heroes
56 Minotaurs
43 Beastmen
30 Trolls

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
My LGS may be doing a Necromunda campaign. I am tempted to convert up some Redemptionist Cawdor because I need practice sculpting female faces, want to do a sort of crustpunk Sisters theme, and feel like the ratty bois are a fun theme to go against all the Van Saar stuff.

Here’s my first bomb rat. Which is really a bomb possum.

He screm.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hedningen posted:

My LGS may be doing a Necromunda campaign. I am tempted to convert up some Redemptionist Cawdor because I need practice sculpting female faces, want to do a sort of crustpunk Sisters theme, and feel like the ratty bois are a fun theme to go against all the Van Saar stuff.

He screm.

Scraem at own rear end (rear end-fuse, he rear end an fuse)

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ogre Miniatures (aka Hapless Defense Force)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hedningen posted:

He screm.

I love him

moths
Aug 25, 2004

S, M, and L ranges are a really good sign for the redesign! Stat blocks look wildly different too, this is all exciting but I think we're going to have a wait for the rules deep dive.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

S, M, and L ranges are a really good sign for the redesign! Stat blocks look wildly different too, this is all exciting but I think we're going to have a wait for the rules deep dive.

I feel like the first edition of KT fell into a trap of being "cut-down 40k" (even in terms of player mind-share) and part of that could have been a superficially similar appearance of stats. Moving away from that seems like a great move to make KT a thing-in-itself.

Do those statblocks look Warcry- or Underworld-like?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hard to tell with my steam, but it wasn't presented like a 40k one so that's good news.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Neither, really, there's still an sv stat and stuff.

Edit: but it looks more like Warcry.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 10, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

pariah nexus was disappointing
updates not frequent enough (its dead its dead)*

*they did a massive KT hiring spree a few months ago but its dead dead dead

And it's starting to need a tiering system for lists. Very few lists can generate the firepower to compete against the new Heavy Primaris squad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mllaneza posted:

And it's starting to need a tiering system for lists. Very few lists can generate the firepower to compete against the new Heavy Primaris squad.

By the Emperor, have you got some timing...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm glad to see they might be getting back into what they sort of did with Kill Team: Rogue Trader and making weird-rear end one-off team boxes.

First of all because weird teams to show off an idea without it needing to be a fully fledged 40k army is fun (see also: Warcry and Underworld I think?) but also because it helps with the "KT is just cut-down 40k" problem (which also seems to be addressed by using an entirely different set of stats).

Neat neat neat!

E: I do feel like the Blood Axes are just the sort of tactilol assholes who would have leatherman multitools rather than swiss army knives, though?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 10, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I always thought Kill Team was intended to be an intro to 40K. It didn't do that job well, but, well, GW.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Schadenboner posted:

E: I do feel like the Blood Axes are just the sort of tactilol assholes who would have leatherman multitools rather than swiss army knives, though?
Leathermen are actually useful, SAK are tourist-level garbage. Checks out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I always thought Kill Team was intended to be an intro to 40K. It didn't do that job well, but, well, GW.

gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat THEY DID AN OKAY JOB

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Moola posted:

An ok job....

For a clown...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

By the Emperor, have you got some timing...

Sifu always said, timing is everything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moola posted:

:question::question::question:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Schadenboner posted:

I'm glad to see they might be getting back into what they sort of did with Kill Team: Rogue Trader and making weird-rear end one-off team boxes.

First of all because weird teams to show off an idea without it needing to be a fully fledged 40k army is fun (see also: Warcry and Underworld I think?) but also because it helps with the "KT is just cut-down 40k" problem (which also seems to be addressed by using an entirely different set of stats).

Neat neat neat!

Yeah both teams in the new KT box appeals to me in the same kind of way that the Underworlds warbands do. Like, I'd happily pick that box up just to paint the minis because everyone seems to have their own unique story, though they also work together as a group. I think it's a home run from what I've seen, even the terrain looks more useful than what they usually put in the boxes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I want the terrain because it would be a great Gorkamorka fort in a pinch. Really just needs a gate.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The guy on the stream seemed to say that there was enough arms with lasguns that the Krieg could represent a regular unit of guard in 40k, but he may have been mistaken in the grand rush of things.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It would make sense, they would sell incredibly well as a basic Guard infantry box.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Yeah both teams in the new KT box appeals to me in the same kind of way that the Underworlds warbands do. Like, I'd happily pick that box up just to paint the minis because everyone seems to have their own unique story, though they also work together as a group. I think it's a home run from what I've seen, even the terrain looks more useful than what they usually put in the boxes.

That box looks like a hell of a deal. I've already got a lot of 1e/2e orks and these characters would add a lot to my -or any - collection. The boss in particular is a model with a hell of a lot of character. With the Big Rig, riding squigs, koptas, and other things it's a great time to be collecting orks.

Right now their best SF skirmish system is still Advanced Space Crusade, let's see if the new edition can top it !

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Rumors are saying this is another limited run box. Dear god GW, just make enough to go around.

Are their any good leads on the cost of the box? I'm actually tempted to pick it up and sell of the guardsmen and game components, only keeping the orky stuff.

I guess we will see. :hmmorks:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Atlas Hugged posted:

I want the terrain because it would be a great Gorkamorka fort in a pinch. Really just needs a gate.

My first thought and the first thoughts of at least two of my mates. It’s perfect for it.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Rumors are saying this is another limited run box. Dear god GW, just make enough to go around.

Are their any good leads on the cost of the box? I'm actually tempted to pick it up and sell of the guardsmen and game components, only keeping the orky stuff.

I guess we will see. :hmmorks:

I think one of the announcements said the box is limited, but all of the contents will be made available separately.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, they said all will be available later. I'm guessing it's going to be between $200 - $250, basing off of Necromunda Dark Uprising.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

Neither, really, there's still an sv stat and stuff.

Edit: but it looks more like Warcry.

I couldn't read it on my stream, but he answered a question about stat blocks with "I don't know what any of this means! I haven't read the rules" and that something else had "lots of wounds." My take from that is that things will be working very differently, possibly with wounds acting like RPG style Hit Points ?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I used some store credit to pick up the warcry lizard man box because those models are super sick. If they do little boxes like that but for 40k factions I'm so loving hype.

I hope the new KT is different than the current one. I have friends that want to play 40k but don't have the time or money to get into building or painting whole armies. So the idea of smaller teams is an easier sell.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I used some store credit to pick up the warcry lizard man box because those models are super sick. If they do little boxes like that but for 40k factions I'm so loving hype.

I hope the new KT is different than the current one. I have friends that want to play 40k but don't have the time or money to get into building or painting whole armies. So the idea of smaller teams is an easier sell.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think any of their systems has had a radical or even major redesign in years. AoS being the exception but I'd argue that was a whole new game and Fantasy was discontinued.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think any of their systems has had a radical or even major redesign in years. AoS being the exception but I'd argue that was a whole new game and Fantasy was discontinued.
"Kill Team has been redesigned from the ground up with all-new rules." From the screenshots, it looks like it's a different game to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Then again, Fantasy arguably got a major overhaul into AoS.

I'm expecting KT to be markedly different than v1. It needs to be its own game (rather than a 40k variant) and that seems to be the direction they're going.

That should be confirmed or denied in the next few previews though. I expect they're going to tease out mechanics and firehose visuals since they're finally beginning to grasp that nerds hate change and love models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope there's new KT Weirdos coming like the Rogue Trader team and the Gellarpox Infected