Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I don't even know where people sell used GPUs so even advice as basic as "facebook market" is super appreciated, the suggestions on specific cards to look for is even better, thank you!

I was worried I might have to pay more than I did buying it new to get the same thing used, or something crazy like that, but it sounds like that's only almost the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I don't even know where people sell used GPUs so even advice as basic as "facebook market" is super appreciated, the suggestions on specific cards to look for is even better, thank you!

I was worried I might have to pay more than I did buying it new to get the same thing used, or something crazy like that, but it sounds like that's only almost the case!

these prices are still way inflated over last year. uh, sec i have a used GPU buying guide somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VkkEHDG5E

kind of technical but it goes into the common pitfalls. i can say personally with facebook market in particular there are for sure scammers running around so be a smart shopper. i've sold two (working!) GPUs this way. you want people who ideally are the first owners and who give an accurate description of the unit with lots of pictures. unfortunately facebook market can kind of attract casual sellers in a way that not even ebay manages so there's a lot of legitimate sellers who just throw up "£50 or offers collection only" type posts.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

CoolCab posted:

when i was building in the depths of the lockdown component shortage last year i consistently found that rgb had an inverse price premium - it costs more or less nothing to add RGB, the big boys use it to differentiate their premium products but the budget manufacturers do not give a poo poo. that's why my power supply has RGB in it :q:

Goddamn, I hadn't even thought of psu here, and I was tempted anew, but now I remember that the case in question has a shroud over the psu, so it won't be a realistic option here.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh hrm and also, the only other thing that will influence shopping is case size/clearance (ie, actually getting the fucker in there) and power overhead. what kind of PSU you got? a 960 isn't super power demanding.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CoolCab posted:

oh hrm and also, the only other thing that will influence shopping is case size/clearance (ie, actually getting the fucker in there) and power overhead. what kind of PSU you got? a 960 isn't super power demanding.

an EVGA 500BT, which is a 500W. I don't think I'll have any case size/clearance issues, I got one of those big box shaped cases with handles and where every side and the roof pops right off and I love it so much and... anyway, yeah, I don't think that will be an issue, and the only ways it would be I have the tools to fix.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Glyph, I have a 970 I'll ship you if you want it. It's not a huge upgrade from your 960, but I definitely played a ton of Titanfall 2 with it and hopefully it'll last you til the GPU market isn't insane. It worked when I swapped it out last year, so it should still be in working order.

IM me, or shoot me an email at with your address if you're interested. I don't need any money for it.

Edit: removed my email now that Glyph contacted me

Fats fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 8, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

poo poo, that's amazing. Thank you so much!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So I had issues with two (2) AX1200i PSUs from Corsair. They sent a refurb the first time, and then were nice enough to honor a second RMA (after much complaining and sent a brand new RM1000x - the more recent model - in its place.

So I am a bit burnt on Corsair PSUs and am considering just getting a Seasonic 1000w instead and selling this thing. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts. It'd be about a $100 difference if I can sell the RM1000x for what they're going for on ebay.

edit my machine includes a 3080FE overclocked, a 9900k overclocked, liquid cooling loop, 8 fans, etc - 1000w is only slightly overkill.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 8, 2021

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
My gaming rig from 2014 is starting to get a little worn-out, and the time to upgrade is upon me.

-I'm in the USA.

-This machine will be for gaming, music production, and video editing.

-My budget is around $600 to $700, and I'd like to get the most performance bang for my buck. My monitor tops out at 1440p, so high frame rates at that resolution or 1080p are what I'm shooting for.

That said, until the video card market improves, I'm re-using my GPU, case, sata SSD's and power supply from my current machine, so I'm just looking for recommendations on CPU, cooler, motherboard, RAM, and maybe an M.2 SSD.

I don't have a preference between AMD or Intel. Whatever is currently the better value. For cooling I'm open to either a tower fan or AIO.

Parts I'm re-using:
GPU: GTX 970
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD x 3
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750w 80 Plus Gold (This psu is only two years old, so should still be good for a while.)

Thanks!

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 8, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My computer is starting to show its age, and it's been so long since I even thought about building a new one (I think my current one was built in 2013). I just spent the whole day going over articles and trying to understand what a new system would even look like. My current system is a i5 2500K that is overclocked to 4.3 and a 1080 founders edition. I'm starting to get slowdowns in plex, so I figure it's time.

I think this is what I'm looking for:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CkbsGq

Is there anything dumb about this? It seems like all the prices except for a few exceptions were cheaper at MicroCenter which is like an hour from me, so that's where I'm going as soon as I figure out what I need.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

skylined! posted:

So I had issues with two (2) AX1200i PSUs from Corsair. They sent a refurb the first time, and then were nice enough to honor a second RMA (after much complaining and sent a brand new RM1000x - the more recent model - in its place.

So I am a bit burnt on Corsair PSUs and am considering just getting a Seasonic 1000w instead and selling this thing. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts. It'd be about a $100 difference if I can sell the RM1000x for what they're going for on ebay.

edit my machine includes a 3080FE overclocked, a 9900k overclocked, liquid cooling loop, 8 fans, etc - 1000w is only slightly overkill.
You could get a platinum Super Flower unit for a quite a bit less than that braving Newegg. Either would be overkill but not by a tremendous amount, and worst case you will never have the fans run in eco mode. I have a similar system, albeit with a 2080ti, running on that PSU. Seasonic usually makes good equipment although I do not miss the electrical noise my last one had from day one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

future ghost posted:

You could get a platinum Super Flower unit for a quite a bit less than that braving Newegg. Either would be overkill but not by a tremendous amount, and worst case you will never have the fans run in eco mode. I have a similar system, albeit with a 2080ti, running on that PSU. Seasonic usually makes good equipment although I do not miss the electrical noise my last one had from day one.

I have a similar PSU to that from super flower at 850w gold, and it’s fantastic. Literally never hear the fan, and it’s running a 3080 and 8 HDDs, plus a server grade raid card and a fuckton of fans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

My gaming rig from 2014 is starting to get a little worn-out, and the time to upgrade is upon me.

-I'm in the USA.

-This machine will be for gaming, music production, and video editing.

-My budget is around $600 to $700, and I'd like to get the most performance bang for my buck. My monitor tops out at 1440p, so high frame rates at that resolution or 1080p are what I'm shooting for.

That said, until the video card market improves, I'm re-using my GPU, case, sata SSD's and power supply from my current machine, so I'm just looking for recommendations on CPU, cooler, motherboard, RAM, and maybe an M.2 SSD.

I don't have a preference between AMD or Intel. Whatever is currently the better value. For cooling I'm open to either a tower fan or AIO.

Parts I'm re-using:
GPU: GTX 970
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD x 3
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750w 80 Plus Gold (This psu is only two years old, so should still be good for a while.)

Thanks!

Among the CPUs that are readily available, the Ryzen 5600x for $300 is the best value. For pure gaming the 11400F from Intel is a better value at its MSRP, but it's currently heavily overpriced and the 5600x is better suited for your production and editing needs anyway. The 5800x and 5900x can also be worth it depending on your specific editing tasks, but you'd be going a bit over budget to get them and the 5900x is pretty hard to find. The 5950x is the only AMD CPU this gen I'd say is basically never worth it unless you need every ounce of performance possible.

So, with that said, something like this is what I'd consider: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ymznDc The budget is relatively tight on this. There's room to upgrade to a wi-fi capable motherboard if you need that, but not to upgrade to 32GB of RAM (is that useful for video editing? idk lol) without ditching the SSD. The 2x8 kit of that RAM is on sale right now and will go up in price again in a couple days. The 2x16 kit is not on sale, though, so if you do opt for 32GB, get two of the 2x8 kits.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DammitJanet posted:

The other poster's recommendations are good except given that you're video editing and more RAM is definitely helpful there then I would maybe drop the NVMe for the time being and bump yourself up to 32GB of 3200 CL16 RAM. Also I'd swap the cooler out, the hyper 212 is a pain to mount whereas the Arctic Freezer 34 is a little cheaper and much more user friendly. Also the SN550 is a little cheaper and still performs excellently for an NVMe. Something like this, if you don't want to go overbudget then you could drop the cooler and use the stock cooler for the time being, or drop the NVMe and order that later.

LorneReams posted:

Is there anything dumb about this? It seems like all the prices except for a few exceptions were cheaper at MicroCenter which is like an hour from me, so that's where I'm going as soon as I figure out what I need.

There's nothing wrong with any of these parts except pretty much all of them are slight overkill for very little/no actual real world performance gain, where you'd be better trimming them down and putting the savings into a better GPU whenever you can get hold of one. At RRP the 5800x is kind of in no mans land value wise between the 5600x and 5900x although if you can get it at $380 I'd say that's worth it. The two extra cores don't really affect gaming performance but will help with multi-core workloads. The NH-D15 is the beefiest air cooler going and not really necessary for the 5800x, when the Scythe Fuma 2 performs almost as well and is a little over half the price. Likewise you absolutely don't need a $300 X570 motherboard. Find a B550 that does everything you want and you save well over $100 there. Finally if you can actually get an SN850 for $100 then by all means go for it but it's normally a $200 part and is double the cost of the thread favourite SN550, whose real world performance is indistinguishable from the SN850.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LorneReams posted:

My computer is starting to show its age, and it's been so long since I even thought about building a new one (I think my current one was built in 2013). I just spent the whole day going over articles and trying to understand what a new system would even look like. My current system is a i5 2500K that is overclocked to 4.3 and a 1080 founders edition. I'm starting to get slowdowns in plex, so I figure it's time.

Without knowing what you'll use this for, my first thought is that this is huge overkill for fixing plex slowdowns. It's also overkill for gaming. You could save a lot of money that could go towards a new video card or something instead by dropping down to a 5600x and a B550 board. The 5800x offers no advantage in gaming in even the most CPU-bottlenecked scenarios, and x570 boards generally offer little over b550 boards beyond just more of the fast stuff that b550 boards already offer in small numbers (pcie gen 4 m.2 slots, 10Gbps usb). Unless you have a lot of high-speed USB devices and/or are planning to get a ton of gen 4 NVMe drives, there's no need to get an x570 board. And those are not normal usage scenarios, gen 4 NVMe drives generally don't offer any tangible advantage to the typical PC user since windows and CPU architectures aren't well-equipped to handle all that speed currently.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 9, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yikes, I guess I need to recheck some of this stuff if it’s truly overkill. I was afraid of Plex 4K, but if I can get away with cheaper, then for sure I will.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LorneReams posted:

Yikes, I guess I need to recheck some of this stuff if it’s truly overkill. I was afraid of Plex 4K, but if I can get away with cheaper, then for sure I will.

What are you streaming your Plex to? Things that can natively play the file format require a lot less of the server because it doesn't have to transcode video. If you're spending as much money as it looks like you might be, and you stream to some kind of box that could be easily upgraded to play like hevc or whatever the 4k format is natively, that might make a huge difference.

I could be totally wrong or off base here but I think it's worth looking at.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Among the CPUs that are readily available, the Ryzen 5600x for $300 is the best value. For pure gaming the 11400F from Intel is a better value at its MSRP, but it's currently heavily overpriced and the 5600x is better suited for your production and editing needs anyway. The 5800x and 5900x can also be worth it depending on your specific editing tasks, but you'd be going a bit over budget to get them and the 5900x is pretty hard to find. The 5950x is the only AMD CPU this gen I'd say is basically never worth it unless you need every ounce of performance possible.

So, with that said, something like this is what I'd consider: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ymznDc The budget is relatively tight on this. There's room to upgrade to a wi-fi capable motherboard if you need that, but not to upgrade to 32GB of RAM (is that useful for video editing? idk lol) without ditching the SSD. The 2x8 kit of that RAM is on sale right now and will go up in price again in a couple days. The 2x16 kit is not on sale, though, so if you do opt for 32GB, get two of the 2x8 kits.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The other poster's recommendations are good except given that you're video editing and more RAM is definitely helpful there then I would maybe drop the NVMe for the time being and bump yourself up to 32GB of 3200 CL16 RAM. Also I'd swap the cooler out, the hyper 212 is a pain to mount whereas the Arctic Freezer 34 is a little cheaper and much more user friendly. Also the SN550 is a little cheaper and still performs excellently for an NVMe. Something like this, if you don't want to go overbudget then you could drop the cooler and use the stock cooler for the time being, or drop the NVMe and order that later.

No need for onboard wi-fi. Forgot to mention I'm re-using a separate usb dongle for that. I'm also in no rush to add the SSD, so that leaves room to go 32GB on RAM, which I will certainly need. Will I need some kind of additional adapter if I go with the Arctic Freezer?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Nah it comes with everything you need

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

VelociBacon posted:

What are you streaming your Plex to? Things that can natively play the file format require a lot less of the server because it doesn't have to transcode video. If you're spending as much money as it looks like you might be, and you stream to some kind of box that could be easily upgraded to play like hevc or whatever the 4k format is natively, that might make a huge difference.

I could be totally wrong or off base here but I think it's worth looking at.

Stream to a ps5. I noticed when I upgraded to a 4K TV and started streaming 4K content, it hitches, and any scrubbing causes it to just break. The CPU is totally pinged and I'm guessing that is the problem.

I updated to take the advice from the thread. It looks like the 5600X dropped in price so now it's 280 vs 380 which is probably a win for the 5600X.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hcYrkX

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Looks great.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I'm looking to change the 750GB HDD in my laptop for a 1TB SSD. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the Crucial MX500?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Wait a minute, what the gently caress is up with these video card prices? I bought the 1080 for $370 when it came out (granted it was a Best Buy pricing error but still *thanks old thread that pointed it out*), but when I add a 3080 to the cart, it's listed as $1,770? The cheapest available card is a 6700 XT for 899.99. Is that a good price? Jesus.

EDIT: oh wait, google is telling me everything is hosed, ok then.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lol welcome to 10 months ago

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, video cards are still hosed, though they're less hosed than they were in like May and there are signs that they're gonna be unfucked at some point soon (whether that point is next month or 6 months from now, no one can say yet).

You should keep your 1080 if you want to build right now and just use it, and watch for prices to return to MSRP (or ballpark) before you buy a new card.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rascar Capac posted:

I'm looking to change the 750GB HDD in my laptop for a 1TB SSD. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the Crucial MX500?

Which laptop do you have? It might support NVME drives which are faster than the MX500, though most people can't really tell the difference in speed. But there's almost no price difference between the two these days so might as well buy the faster one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol welcome to 10 months ago

Don’t forget Chips & Chia!
(cars and storage shortages, too, both SSDs and HDDs)

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Mu Zeta posted:

Which laptop do you have? It might support NVME drives which are faster than the MX500, though most people can't really tell the difference in speed. But there's almost no price difference between the two these days so might as well buy the faster one.

It's a Samsung 350V5C, so I don't think it'll take an NVME.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well I have the MX500 in my gaming desktop since 2019 and it's been a champ.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What are the benefits of an M.2 ssd over the usual ones?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

doomrider7 posted:

Mostly you don't need cables. NVMe SSDs (and not all M.2 SSDs are NVMe) are much much faster at high queue depths, but unless you're doing very large file operations you're not going to hit those queue depths.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

doomrider7 posted:

m.2 is the form factor; it's a different connector which allows for much higher transfer speeds compared to the older SATA cable (which we hit the cap on some time ago). some are still called SATA m.2 for some reason but there's also NVME m.2 drives which are even faster and they aren't both universally supported. typically it will be your motherboard that determines compatibility although you can buy PCIE m.2 cards.

some protips: some motherboards share the bandwith between the m.2 and some of the sata ports, so sometimes plugging an m.2 in will disable some of your SATA ports, watch out for that. typically for gaming in particular you don't need the super high end fancy ones with heatsinks on, an SN550 will perform almost identically in game loads. you need the stupid loving screw and standoff and that's a pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
M.2 is a form factor standard - the advantage of M.2 drives over 2.5" SATA SSD drives is that they are about the size of a stick of gum and screw in to a specific slot in your motherboard without cables. M.2 form factor drives can use either SATA or NVMe to transfer data; NVMe is faster although you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in day-to-day.

edit: extremely smoked by coolcab

edit2: though i would argue the standoff and screw are not bad and it's a one time operation that beats the poo poo out of cable mgt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 10, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

M.2 is a form factor standard - the advantage of M.2 drives over 2.5" SATA SSD drives is that they are about the size of a stick of gum and screw in to a specific slot in your motherboard without cables. M.2 form factor drives can use either SATA or NVMe to transfer data; NVMe is faster although you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in day-to-day.

edit: extremely smoked by coolcab
:grin:

quote:

edit2: though i would argue the standoff and screw are not bad and it's a one time operation that beats the poo poo out of cable mgt

well, unless you lose the little tiny screw when you first build the machine not realizing how mission critical it is, then have to buy it on amazon for five loving pounds and can't install your drive for a week, then after the amazon parcel arrived find the original lost screw. ask me how i know!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was THIS close to just red greening the fucker and duct tape the thing down but i was afraid of causing a short or something, lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I ask because my local Microcenter has some really good open box parts I may buy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

I ask because my local Microcenter has some really good open box parts I may buy.

I would not call those good open box parts.

You can get similar PCIe 3.0 2TB Nvme drives for $240 or less during sales.

Dunno about the 4TB though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not looking to build a machine, but I am looking to buy a pre-built; I'm not quite sure if this is the right thread or not, and if it isn't, let me know and I'll post in that thread, but would this computer be worth a drat? It looks good and the price is within my range, but I want to be sure before I go ahead and make a major purchase like that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

well, unless you lose the little tiny screw when you first build the machine not realizing how mission critical it is, then have to buy it on amazon for five loving pounds and can't install your drive for a week, then after the amazon parcel arrived find the original lost screw. ask me how i know!

I just shoved a spacer and an m3 screw from the case in there and it worked fine, I didn't want to tape it for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Leave posted:

I'm not looking to build a machine, but I am looking to buy a pre-built; I'm not quite sure if this is the right thread or not, and if it isn't, let me know and I'll post in that thread, but would this computer be worth a drat? It looks good and the price is within my range, but I want to be sure before I go ahead and make a major purchase like that.

it's not terrible but it's kind of a mismatch for gaming imo - more money spend on the CPU when i imagine most people would strongly prefer spending more on the GPU. you could get away with much less. i have also heard bad things about the thermals of those. oof people complaining in the reviews about the cooler yeah maybe it's kind of terrible. it also probably is single rank because the big prebuilt boys love doing that for some insane reason, so your CPU will be even more constrained.

if you have some CPU task like, productivity or something, make videos or whatever, you could justify this. but if i was spending 1100 bucks i'd be looking for a 3060 at least.