Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

I stopped watching Illuminaughtii after she publicly shat on a smaller MLM critic channel because they dared to send a nice message to her about having a problem with her plagiarizing them.

Whats the details on this, my partner likes their videos a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I don't know any discourse regarding Illuminaughti but I will say I bounced off their content not because of what they cover but because what I saw could've used better editing IMO. It felt like they repeated a lot of their points the same way somebody tries to pad out a high school book report, it just got to be a bit grating :shrug: I imagine it's fine if you're just listening to one of their videos in the background like it's a podcast (which might warrant repetition in that case) but it wasn't for me

Edited for more neutral pronouns :sweatdrop:

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 10, 2021

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2HpKhVOKE

Fun overview of Loki's queerness and how it's both been reflected and shifted during the trip from Myth->Comics->MCU. warning that it's pretty long though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Jacob Geller lavishes praises on Dead Space 2, the second entry of the much-loved Dead Space duology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8kRH4lDn0

apperently they are showing off the RE 2remake style remake of 1 at ea play this year. i kinda like 1 a little more because its slower pace and you see the levels evolve over time and poo poo.

Andrast posted:

This thread, D&D and C-SPAM can all be bad together

:agreed:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuDD80J_Jo

Jacobin did a really good video on the propaganda series: Call of Duty. Not big on them for the most part but they occasionally put out good stuff!

Vaush warning at: 3:07 - 3:32

it was ok. its alot of "yeah no poo poo, your kinda late to the party jacobin" type video though. better then renegade cuts stupid poo poo video on it though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

I'm probably more friendly towards Contra than a lot of you (her videos, at least) but I can't condone her continuing to treat Buck Angel as if he's some legend who just has outdated opinions about trans topics. Which as of a few weeks ago she was still bloody doing in a Grauniad profile.
Like two weeks ago Buck was blaming for women for transphobia because some trans lady was complaining her period on twitter, and instead of doing five minutes of search to see 1) some people on hrt develop PMS-like symptoms and 2) they call it a period because it rolls off the tongue better and PMS has a more negative view thanks to untold years of misogynistic bullshit, Buck just does his song and dance on twitter to the enjoyment of terfs.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I just don't get it really. Buck Angel is essentially a TERF, truscum and alt-right troll on Twitter. Those are the people he retweets constantly. Other people of this type would not be given the same amount of slack by Contra. Why are we supposed to cut this guy slack? Because people wrote tabloid articles about him 20 years ago?

I mean, of all the "trans elders" out there to stan for you choose this guy and pretend he's actually all fine and cuddly because he tapped like on your Instagram once, ffs.

"He paved the way for us!" - He's now digging the path up!

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Stormgale posted:

From what I can remember, Cruel World Happy Mind, a smaller youtube channel that does anti-MLM content did a video on some topic and was advised by her followers that iilluminaughtii had copied one of her videos and was stealing ideas from her, so she got in touch to say that people were telling her about this.

iilluminaughtii never replied but then started talking poo poo about her in a podcast about how entitled it was for her to think that she owned certain topics and how she was totally unaware that anyone else even did any anti-MLM content or that there was a community around it so to accuse her of plagiarism was rude and untrue.

Cruel World Happy Mind posted a video, I think, explaining what had happened and apologising if she came across like she was trying to accuse her/start drama and iilluminaughtii took to instagram or twitter or something to say the video was slanderous and how she was going to expose her etc.

In conclusion, very petty, low level drama but enough for me to decide that iilluminaughtii isn't really providing any content I couldn't get from someone else.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I just don't get it really. Buck Angel is essentially a TERF, truscum and alt-right troll on Twitter. Those are the people he retweets constantly. Other people of this type would not be given the same amount of slack by Contra. Why are we supposed to cut this guy slack? Because people wrote tabloid articles about him 20 years ago?

I mean, of all the "trans elders" out there to stan for you choose this guy and pretend he's actually all fine and cuddly because he tapped like on your Instagram once, ffs.

I honestly think that Contra's biggest priority at this point is spiting her twitter enemies (read: large swathes of trans people), which means doubling down in the face of any criticism is her first and only move. So gotta defend Buck Angel no matter what he does, because admitting he's become a piece of poo poo in his old age would be letting said twitter enemies win.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, maybe part of it is spite, but Contra has always treated reactionaries of many stripes with a lighter touch than they warrant.

Because she is one of the higher-profile trans folks with a leftward lean, I feel like a pitfall people often stumble into is wishing or assuming she is more progressive than she is. She's always been pretty liberal, and her history on trans issues is mixed, at best. It's really not a shock that she would adopt the "my dear friends, whom I disagree with on some issues," frame that you see a lot of liberals use when referring to various conservatives.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Stormgale posted:

Another MLM oriented youtuber, Cruel World Happy Mind, contacted Illuminaughtii because she had apparently plagiarized a segment of one of her videos. This was done privately and CWHM's message was as nice as that kind of message could be and Illuminaughtii seemed to respond in kind. Then Illuminaughtii goes on a podcast and shits all over her without naming names, but people figure out who she is talking about pretty quickly. Basically calling her videos low quality/effort, mocking her channel for using sources like Buzzfeed News (despite her doing so herself multiple times?). She also weirdly states that she couldn't possibly have plagiarized her because she totally didn't know that there were other people than her criticizing MLMs on youtube and the other channels were simply too small to be on her radar anyway. CWHM makes a response video and posts receipts of their exchange. Illuminaughtii cries slander and proclaims that she will defend herself from said slander on Twitch. Shortly before that Illuminaughtii and CWHM proclaim that they have worked things out privately.
Apparently the best source on this, the video that CWHM herself made on it, is no longer available because of the squashed beef and the Twitch stream didn't happen for the same reason. The podcast might still be up though but I don't remember what it was called.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koud7hgGyQ8

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Contra, for whatever reason, seems to view herself as some kinda trans version of an 'old soul' despite being like loving thirty. She constantly uses terms like 'transsexual' and all and complains about those drat anime kids that are...about her age. It's by far one of her weirdest traits, she clearly views herself as one of the 'elders' because...I guess she started her channel fairly early compared to other prominent trans folk?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Contra, for whatever reason, seems to view herself as some kinda trans version of an 'old soul' despite being like loving thirty. She constantly uses terms like 'transsexual' and all and complains about those drat anime kids that are...about her age. It's by far one of her weirdest traits, she clearly views herself as one of the 'elders' because...I guess she started her channel fairly early compared to other prominent trans folk?

It's a guess, but I think the big dividing line is that she came up in the era of 4chan vs. the folks who came later on Tumblr.

Not a generational boundary as most would see it, but I think she does have a point in that the tenor of online spaces toward trans people experienced a pretty major shift between the early-to-mid aughts and the twenty-teens.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a guess, but I think the big dividing line is that she came up in the era of 4chan vs. the folks who came later on Tumblr.

Not a generational boundary as most would see it, but I think she does have a point in that the tenor of online spaces toward trans people experienced a pretty major shift between the early-to-mid aughts and the twenty-teens.

nah those two 'generations' are the exact same one. Like, yea which 'side' you were on more than the other probably painted things but 'tumblr kids' and '4chan kids' are the exact same age for the most part considering 90% of 'tumblr kids' on the older side of things were just livejournal kids

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I seem to recall Contra was, idk, mentored or somesuch by an older transwoman. That's probably the main reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't know anything about Buck Angel but every person I know IRL who posts about how he sucks is also a white person who tries to argue that our local police force is actually one of the good ones and that BLM should work together with them moving forward so I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I'm supposed to give a gently caress about this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

I don't know anything about Buck Angel but every person I know IRL who posts about how he sucks is also a white person who tries to argue that our local police force is actually one of the good ones and that BLM should work together with them moving forward so I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I'm supposed to give a gently caress about this

yea Buck Angel probably has cool opinions about cops and BLM, great post

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Buck Angel is a huge piece of poo poo who outs other trans people and constantly tries to degrade and delegitimatize other trans people and their struggles? How very racist of you to say...

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

cops suck and so does buck angel, hth

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bleck posted:

Holy poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bleck posted:

why does someone make a post like this

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bleck posted:

lol

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Bleck posted:

Next time Remember the adage of broken clock and do your own research.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Buck Angel threw the first brick at Stonewall. He was aiming for another trans person when he did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tell us about the white people you know who think that Buck Angel is good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
jfc lmao goddamn

Also, I think what gets under mine and others I've talked to's collective skin about Contra isn't that she has these dumb rear end opinions that she doubles down on all the time, but that she's deigned herself the grand arbiter of The Trans Experiencetm which leads to her really making GBS threads on expressions and experiences of being trans that don't align with her (relatively smooth, privileged) own, and that self-ascribed position then gets reinforced by a constant conga line of allies and institutions that defer to her in leu of literally any other trans voice.

She just really sucks and you can't loving escape her.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've always been afraid to ask as a nontrans person, but, did her whole "mouthfeel" thing ring as strange or offensive to anyone who is trans?

I remember hearing it and wondering how many chaser types it must have enabled...

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Meh, chasers gonna chase and I see trans4trans people making similar jokes quite often.

Mind you, they also tend to be the types she regularly shits on so it can feel a little... appropriative, for lack of a better term when her fans parrot it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I know she shyed away from the "last old school transexual" thing she said and yet it still feels like she believes it at heart.

which is just..er, I dunno what the gently caress that's about lol. It makes no sense, it's really really stupid. As stupid as that troll post up there.

Like there's prominent people in the community who've been out longer than you've been alive, lol

Famethrowa posted:

I've always been afraid to ask as a nontrans person, but, did her whole "mouthfeel" thing ring as strange or offensive to anyone who is trans?

I remember hearing it and wondering how many chaser types it must have enabled...

Eeehhhh not really. Not to me anyways.

I mean chasers will be chasing no matter what and I don't think that's what they're gonna be watching.

To expand on SteelMentor more, the character who said it was a riff on Riley Dennis (back when she was getting ripped on badly by Blaire and co). Dunno how she feels about all that. Riley doesn't really do trans vids anymore.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The most comfortable way I've found to deal with this is to find and watch other trans Youtubers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Contrapoints seems to have a ton of hangups and problems that have snuck out in her videos, including some seemingly pretty serious self-loathing. The inability to let go and not just take criticism constructively as appropriate and ignore the rest is one of those problems. I’m generally content to leave it at the phrase someone in this thread posts often and just shrug with “contrapoints is a land of contrasts” and take what seems useful or clear from her videos and leave the rest. I hope she’s found some therapeutic help along with the added income, as she has a knack for reasoning clearly when she has some distance from her subject and has her heart in the right place if she’s not being petty or grandiose.

I think a problem with the internet generally is that if you’re on it enough to make it your thing, one of the reasons you’re terminally online is either that you have problems that brought you there or your being there so much has caused you problems.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

repiv posted:

her patreon is per-month rather than per-video, so mostly living it up on >$26,000 a month regardless of whether she actually makes any content i think

last video was 6 months ago

Ah the Hbomberguy way of patreon video making.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Bleck posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oh word

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I just have to give props to someone so lazy they get five figs from their patreon and still don't put out content.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Ah the Hbomberguy way of patreon video making.

To be fair videos from both are often feature length, have an incredibly high standard of aesthetic production and are studiously researched. I think making two feature length documentaries a year is more work than this thread seems to think.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

As best I understand it Natalie does a lot of streaming now. And Y’know what, if her patrons are happy with that and she can make a living that way and stop making GBS threads on other trans people with more videos like he previous work? Great, everyone wins, please continue down this path.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Still better than whatever Spoony is doing for his patrons these days..

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Still better than whatever Spoony is doing for his patrons these days..

Doesn’t he make like 10 bucks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
You guys are also forgetting that a lot of people make smaller patreon exclusive videos fairly often for their supporters.

A lot of people are also happy to just give money in support of the creator they like and are not expecting a direct transaction of money for goods and services.