Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I put in about an hour in the Tunnels last night split up over two sessions, but no luck yet. When I was bored I went back to WW and scavanged corpses looking for the quest turn in notes. I already had 3 and 4, and I found 1, so just 2 left. After a bad encounter with a group of Goblins who caught me out of mana, I went home to look at research. I trained up to 20 and then bought the required book of research and tried navigating some instructional websites that seem to have old data, and as was already said here, it's expensive as hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Who is in Faceless on mischief? Just curious how the guild is going, my crew is almost 60 and we're looking to get into the raiding game, faceless seems like the best guild to join atm.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

MF_James posted:

Who is in Faceless on mischief? Just curious how the guild is going, my crew is almost 60 and we're looking to get into the raiding game, faceless seems like the best guild to join atm.

I am. Which one? There was a splinter and Zaide left and made a new guild so now there is The Faceless and Faceless X In Virtue. Feel free to hit me up if you see me online. Szinga and Vaseline are the characters I pay attention to most.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Floob posted:

I put in about an hour in the Tunnels last night split up over two sessions, but no luck yet. When I was bored I went back to WW and scavanged corpses looking for the quest turn in notes. I already had 3 and 4, and I found 1, so just 2 left. After a bad encounter with a group of Goblins who caught me out of mana, I went home to look at research. I trained up to 20 and then bought the required book of research and tried navigating some instructional websites that seem to have old data, and as was already said here, it's expensive as hell!

What spell do you need? I have some research skill.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Rallos posted:

What spell do you need? I have some research skill.

Intensify Death. Until later expansions it seems to be the first Necro pet haste buff. Sounds like it's trivial at 62 maybe?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rallos posted:

I am. Which one? There was a splinter and Zaide left and made a new guild so now there is The Faceless and Faceless X In Virtue. Feel free to hit me up if you see me online. Szinga and Vaseline are the characters I pay attention to most.

Is there a good writeup somewhere about what the heck happened to cause the split? I joined FXIV at launch to see if this GDKP idea would actually work and I'm pretty fed up with the utter mercenary attitude that's come to define the guild.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Faceless seem to have a rep as the biggest jerks on the server. Could be total bullshit, all my dealings with them have been positive. But I see a lot of rants about “those pricks in Faceless”. More people complain about Faceless than the ROLLING DEEP rear end in a top hat who spams his guild recruitment all day.

On the bright side I had an AWESOME day in EQ yesterday! Helped a guildmate with the summoned Faydedar fight that I’ll need myself soon. Bought loot rights to the Pulsing Green Stone from VS for the entirely reasonable price of 1KR, so it’s all downhill to get my epic! Did some wheeling and dealing in EC to get two more Krono. Got my HS key done and wound up getting a free Seb key while doing it so I’m flagged for both now. Oh and I capped it all off doing the completely unnecessary quest for the rarest Druid spell of all… Beguile Plants!

I was pleasantly surprised by how cool everyone was when I did the HS key. Camped the Chancellor for a bit less than an hour and seconds before he spawned a 60 Necro showed up. He stood back while I engaged, didn’t try to gank the mob even though he probably could have. Two Prods dropped so I looted one for myself and happily gave him the spare! Now that I think on it I’m pretty sure he was in Faceless, so there’s one good anecdote for the pile.

Then when I got to Kaesora there was a Mage already camping the named. I shot him a tell to let him know I was only after the quest drop and didn’t mean to interfere with his camp. He was super friendly, helped clear a couple rather aggressive green skeletons real quick, and let me loot one that was rotting.

Aside from that it was just an overall good day. Had some laughs chatting with the Monks I supply with South Karana quest drops. Did a few ports for friends alts. Just an overall excellent day in EQ.

Now I’m sitting on a comfortable 11k plat with plans to go hard on trade skills when I get home from work. :woop:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

BGrifter posted:

Oh and I capped it all off doing the completely unnecessary quest for the rarest Druid spell of all… Beguile Plants!

Charm plants in PoG to farm armor for your friends!!!!!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Charm plants in PoG to farm armor for your friends!!!!!

Are there any plants below level 25 capable of farming planar mobs in PoG?

They were so scared of the awesome power of Beguile Plants they capped it to targets below level 25 on a level 28 quested spell.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Faceless, That's EQ Baby, Bloodthirst, Cowboy's & Camels... I've seen a bunch of assholes there, and I've seen a bunch of friendly players as well. In every large group of people you will find both types in quantity and the fact that these guilds are so big on the TLPs, the numbers involved simply means you will see lots of assholes with those guild tags.

Half my friends list on Thornblade are in C&C. Several ex-guildmates from other TLPs went there and not a single one has said 'don't come here'.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Are there any plants below level 25 capable of farming planar mobs in PoG?

They were so scared of the awesome power of Beguile Plants they capped it to targets below level 25 on a level 28 quested spell.

Honestly, I think the only kunark era use for the spell is charming in OT, maybe EJ/TT for the higher level version.

Kalas posted:

Faceless, That's EQ Baby, Bloodthirst, Cowboy's & Camels... I've seen a bunch of assholes there, and I've seen a bunch of friendly players as well. In every large group of people you will find both types in quantity and the fact that these guilds are so big on the TLPs, the numbers involved simply means you will see lots of assholes with those guild tags.

Half my friends list on Thornblade are in C&C. Several ex-guildmates from other TLPs went there and not a single one has said 'don't come here'.

As it turns out, when you're not at the top, everyone at the top looks like an rear end in a top hat. Turns out some, even a lot, are, but there's also assholes at the bottom of the list. Beguiles is literally the worst, and he's GM of a middling guild on Aradune.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

BabelFish posted:

Is there a good writeup somewhere about what the heck happened to cause the split? I joined FXIV at launch to see if this GDKP idea would actually work and I'm pretty fed up with the utter mercenary attitude that's come to define the guild.

TLDR; Zaide wasn’t a fan of total gdkp and I’m sure the whole mercenary attitude factored in but I don’t know for sure.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Rallos posted:

TLDR; Zaide wasn’t a fan of total gdkp and I’m sure the whole mercenary attitude factored in but I don’t know for sure.

I don't like GDKP, didn't do them when I joined TEB on Aradune. DKP has the draw that you can't take your incentive/payout/currency out of the system. If you leave the guild, your currency is gone. When the currency is plat/kr, nothing matters and you can always take your bag and go somewhere else. There's no incentive to build a cohesive group, guild culture, etc.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't like GDKP, didn't do them when I joined TEB on Aradune. DKP has the draw that you can't take your incentive/payout/currency out of the system. If you leave the guild, your currency is gone. When the currency is plat/kr, nothing matters and you can always take your bag and go somewhere else. There's no incentive to build a cohesive group, guild culture, etc.

There’s also the fact that 80% of the best gear leaves the guild when it’s flipped in the tunnel for profit. To me, DKP current expansion makes sense and then GDKP for past expansions. FX is gonna hit a wall where progression is difficult or they start losing a lot of open world races due to lack of gear sooner or later unless they change it up.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Rallos posted:

There’s also the fact that 80% of the best gear leaves the guild when it’s flipped in the tunnel for profit. To me, DKP current expansion makes sense and then GDKP for past expansions. FX is gonna hit a wall where progression is difficult or they start losing a lot of open world races due to lack of gear sooner or later unless they change it up.

This is a weird thing in that anyone, at almost any time, at almost any guild level can pull the ec tunnel parachute. I don't know what guilds can really do to prevent it besides weird witch hunts. Even in my Aradune guild that could barely field enough to kill vulak, we had people that ripped the cord.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This is a weird thing in that anyone, at almost any time, at almost any guild level can pull the ec tunnel parachute. I don't know what guilds can really do to prevent it besides weird witch hunts. Even in my Aradune guild that could barely field enough to kill vulak, we had people that ripped the cord.

That’s probably a large reason WHY people ripped the cord. I know of more than one person who was fed up with their guild’s slow progression and blew their dkp on the first or second vulak then bounced.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Finally! I was just one note short from the quest to get the spell and my research skill was up to 50 when I checked the tunnel one more time. A researcher offered to make it for me and charged me 55pp. I gave her 100pp for the trouble. I am so happy now lol. Now lets get back to grinding exp :)

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Pro tip: /join auction and don’t sit in the tunnel searching for items.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I heard there's an AoC for howling stones, is it reasonable to use it for an xp group? Where does it drop you?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

I heard there's an AoC for howling stones, is it reasonable to use it for an xp group? Where does it drop you?

drops you at the start of the zone. keep in mind mobs dont respawn in AOC so its not gonna replace the normal zone

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Indecisive posted:

drops you at the start of the zone. keep in mind mobs dont respawn in AOC so its not gonna replace the normal zone

Forgot about the no respawn, thanks!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

MF_James posted:

Balanced group should be able to do Drusella np. The only hard part is the pull, but it's possible to solo pull her without FD. I had a static that did it with shm/sk/clr/enc plus whatever two people we could wrangle. If you ShowEQ or have a tracker, there's usually half a dozen rares up, which is probably pretty good on mischief. Need to finish the master's key to get into North (?) Wing though.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

rally posted:

Pro tip: /join auction and don’t sit in the tunnel searching for items.

Is that accurate? I thought the auction channel was zone based. I see auction chat all the time, but far more so when I am in the commons. I better check into this. Of course being bound in The Overthere now, it would be a bit of a run to get to an auction.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He’s talking about the auction chat channel, not /auction which is zone specific like /ooc or /shout.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

RCarr posted:

He’s talking about the auction chat channel, not /auction which is zone specific like /ooc or /shout.

Yeah, he is right though, that /auction channel is very busy

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Theres a lot of noise about a plat duplication going on, on the new servers, but I've not seen anything concrete. GMs are meant to be looking into it...

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Baconroll posted:

Theres a lot of noise about a plat duplication going on, on the new servers, but I've not seen anything concrete. GMs are meant to be looking into it...

What is meant by the term plat duplication? I think you mean someone is creating more platinum through unauthorized means? Tricking the game into doubling their plat or some thing?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Doctor Party posted:

What is meant by the term plat duplication? I think you mean someone is creating more platinum through unauthorized means? Tricking the game into doubling their plat or some thing?

Yeah, kind of like the rampant duping in Diablo 2. There’s a ton of smoke but I haven’t seen any actual fire yet.

Back when Krono were 6k per I was chatting with a Shaman who was going nuts buying hundreds of Krono initially at 7k and by the end of the night 10k each. It’s possible he was just sitting on 35+ million plat and decided that was the night he absolutely had to cash it all out I guess? Dunno why someone would amass that kind of fortune, never convert it to Krono, and at the drop of a dime instantly need to liquidate it all though. Last I talked to him that night he’d bought over 350 Kronos in one day with plat.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, kind of like the rampant duping in Diablo 2. There’s a ton of smoke but I haven’t seen any actual fire yet.

Back when Krono were 6k per I was chatting with a Shaman who was going nuts buying hundreds of Krono initially at 7k and by the end of the night 10k each. It’s possible he was just sitting on 35+ million plat and decided that was the night he absolutely had to cash it all out I guess? Dunno why someone would amass that kind of fortune, never convert it to Krono, and at the drop of a dime instantly need to liquidate it all though. Last I talked to him that night he’d bought over 350 Kronos in one day with plat.

I just assumed they were always around 6k until today when I saw them being bought for much more. I asked in auction why that was and got all sorts of tells about it. I was thinking about buying a kronos to earn a little in game money.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

I just assumed they were always around 6k until today when I saw them being bought for much more. I asked in auction why that was and got all sorts of tells about it. I was thinking about buying a kronos to earn a little in game money.

They seem to have stabilized around 12k for now. Who knows how long that will last.

In unrelated news, everyone’s favorite Feriona EverQuest available now for the low low price of $125 USD!

I love me some Feriona EverQuest. Almost as cool as Fappy DarkPew and Tony Baal.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I always save fippy by pulling the guards away so he can run amok in qeynos

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Patch notes on test have this gem...

Rat Ears will no longer be available for purchase from merchants until The Serpent's Spine is active.

No more rat-earring an alt up on TLPs in Qeynos Hills !

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Baconroll posted:

Patch notes on test have this gem...

Rat Ears will no longer be available for purchase from merchants until The Serpent's Spine is active.

No more rat-earring an alt up on TLPs in Qeynos Hills !

I've played EQ since 2000 and never started a character in Qeynos. I barely have any knowledge of that zone, and the surrounding areas. I went there one time I think to kill a fish for part of a quest. Maybe the Ghoulbane sword? or Paw of Opolla?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Probably Stein of Moggok, if you killed a fish anyway.
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2961

Paw of Opolla and Testament of Vanear are there too.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

suuma posted:

Probably Stein of Moggok, if you killed a fish anyway.
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2961

Paw of Opolla and Testament of Vanear are there too.

You're right, it was for the Stein. remember those other ingredients after looking up the quest.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Been bored lately and I played this game a shitload through Luclin a long time ago thinking of doing a weekend romp for some nostalgia - incase it turns long term is there a good server I should use to be with goons? OP seems pretty out of date.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Nope, everyone plays on various time locked progression (TLPs) servers these days spread out in various time zones or servers. The most popular currently being Mischief.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Ah, if I pick a timelocked that's in a state before mercenaries that means I can't get one right? Kinda just want to divebomb the old content.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea I don't really have any advice tbh cuz I am always in it for the TLP experience, grouping from 1-60 etc.. the live servers are kinda solo town. I guess if you wanna roll around with a tank merc and explore a shaman is probably strongest? up to a certain level anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Indecisive posted:

Yea I don't really have any advice tbh cuz I am always in it for the TLP experience, grouping from 1-60 etc.. the live servers are kinda solo town. I guess if you wanna roll around with a tank merc and explore a shaman is probably strongest? up to a certain level anyway

Yeah I'll just jump on a classic can always switch over if I stick. Thanks,