Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I think the argument that new employees will lose the ability to learn from their co-workers has some validity. There's a difference between being able to just lean over and ask questions vs having to call up and discuss over zoom. It's not a huge omg they're not going to learn anything, but I've noticed there's been less engagement during WFH in general. This applies more to younger new to workforce workers.

On the other hand, I'm less likely to have people bugging me for help. which oh yeah is good for my own personal productivity. But overall I think the organization as a whole suffers somewhat from reduced capacity development and informal training.

Yeah, I started a new job during the pandemic, and there have been a bunch of little things that too so much longer to get right because of working from home. Granted proper documentation on the organization's side would have solved a lot of those, but in its absence, being able to walk down the hall would have been real handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Blue Moonlight posted:

Good news everyone! Readers of The Wall Street Journal have ~~OpInIoNs~~ about remote work!

"It signals self-centeredness—people who over time would put their interests over others’ and the company’s."

gently caress you, you giant sociopath, employers don't own their employees, they get to care about themselves and their existence beyond their role in a company

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
a company would NEVER put its own well being over that of its employees. it's only fair to expect the same in return.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Fried Watermelon posted:

From all the work propaganda news articles I've been getting lately it seems "no one wants to work anymore", "people want to work from home", "people are quitting jobs to work at businesses who offer work from home", the solution seems to be offer WFH.

Really funny that so many economics websites and marketing companies are churning out articles saying that WFH is a mistake and will cause your business to be destroyed, when all evidence is to the contrary. It's nearly all OPINION articles clamoring for a back to the norm.

The risk with WFH is it starts to question middle and top management rolls that exist only to monitor, oversee, and delegate. When workers who produce outputs start to not need highly paid managers who really don't provide a critical function then it challenges the entire system, and this scares senior management, and change is always hard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thathonkey posted:

theres been plenty of times since remote work started where i was tempted to take the "easy way out" and bug a coworker with a question i know they could answer quickly but hesitating because i didnt want to go full on slack message or zoom which would surely interrupt them more than it's worth. in most cases i figured it out by myself in a reasonable amount of time instead and saved anything i couldnt for a scheduled sync up. this is probably better for both me and my coworkers in the long run.

Sounds like you could use some Rubber Ducking

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cheesus posted:

I still tense up when I get the occasional Slack PM that begins "Just a quick question..."

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" or "Hey, you free? Can I bug you for a sec?" are the worst things. There's a reason "www.nohello.com" is my status on most social networks.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
My job has either made me a petty rear end in a top hat or appreciative of the little things in life, you decide.

So I work for a college and one of my benefits is I'm allowed to take any undergraduate class for free if its "job related". There was a class I really wanted to take but it was a gray area if I qualified. I email the office in charge of education benefits, no response, waited a month, emailed again and again, deadline for registration coming up, no response. I then emailed the professor who taught the class. He said I qualified and he could bypass the benefits department and register me on his end.

I'm registered and start taking the class. All is good. A month into the semester the benefits department gets back! A one liner:

"No I don't think you can do that"

Ok lets examine this sentence. You don't know whether I qualify. Literally your only job is to administer employee education benefits but whatever. Instead of trying to find out, you just tell me "no" because that's the easiest response and what can an employee of my rank do about it? I reply:

"Sorry I didn't keep you in the loop. Turns out I do qualify, the teacher enrolled me and I'm taking the class right now."

"Thanks, though." :smug:

Ashamed to admit sending that was the most satisfying thing I did that month.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

My job has either made me a petty rear end in a top hat or appreciative of the little things in life, you decide.

So I work for a college and one of my benefits is I'm allowed to take any undergraduate class for free if its "job related". There was a class I really wanted to take but it was a gray area if I qualified. I email the office in charge of education benefits, no response, waited a month, emailed again and again, deadline for registration coming up, no response. I then emailed the professor who taught the class. He said I qualified and he could bypass the benefits department and register me on his end.

I'm registered and start taking the class. All is good. A month into the semester the benefits department gets back! A one liner:

Ok lets examine this sentence. You don't know whether I qualify. Literally your only job is to administer employee education benefits but whatever. Instead of trying to find out, you just tell me "no" because that's the easiest response and what can an employee of my rank do about it? I reply:

"Sorry I didn't keep you in the loop. Turns out I do qualify, the teacher enrolled me and I'm taking the class right now."

Pettiness can be fun.

Today I spent and hour arguing with a dude because - essentially - our corporate image does not have the same settings as a consumer PC. Just an hour of "I need it to do X." "It won't do X, that's how the corporate image is." "How do we fix this?" "You don't. There's nothing to 'fix'. Your PC is working as intended." "But I need it to do X." Repeat. Fortunately it was through Teams, at least. He finally had enough and said "I'll just talk to someone else."

I responded with "Anyone else on my team, and any of the engineers will tell you the same thing. I'm closing your ticket, Have a great day."

I don't think he expected that because he for some reason responded with the Teams equivalent of :monocle:

Thanks for helping me kill time while I watched TV and waited for my leftover pizza to heat up in the oven, dude.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pettiness can be fun.

Today I spent and hour arguing with a dude because - essentially - our corporate image does not have the same settings as a consumer PC. Just an hour of "I need it to do X." "It won't do X, that's how the corporate image is." "How do we fix this?" "You don't. There's nothing to 'fix'. Your PC is working as intended." "But I need it to do X." Repeat. Fortunately it was through Teams, at least. He finally had enough and said "I'll just talk to someone else."

I responded with "Anyone else on my team, and any of the engineers will tell you the same thing. I'm closing your ticket, Have a great day."

I don't think he expected that because he for some reason responded with the Teams equivalent of :monocle:

Thanks for helping me kill time while I watched TV and waited for my leftover pizza to heat up in the oven, dude.

Had a similar problem at my work except we were the ones bitching about how useless IT was because they couldn’t get colorblind mode set up on windows 10 enterprise edition

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pettiness can be fun.

Today I spent and hour arguing with a dude because - essentially - our corporate image does not have the same settings as a consumer PC. Just an hour of "I need it to do X." "It won't do X, that's how the corporate image is." "How do we fix this?" "You don't. There's nothing to 'fix'. Your PC is working as intended." "But I need it to do X." Repeat.

I mean, dude still needed to do X.
If I were the dude, and assuming that X was a legitimate requirement of my position, I'd probably just hotkey up something to automatically open a ticket about it with a single keypress, then hit the button whenever I came up against that problem in the course of my work.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

What's a corporate image? Like, what programs and settings a computer of the company has?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Son of Rodney posted:

What's a corporate image? Like, what programs and settings a computer of the company has?

Yes, it’s a carbon copy of the computing environment tailored to the needs of the organization so OS settings, apps, etc. are ready to go. When you’re deploying a large number of PCs it’s a huge time saver.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Freaquency posted:

Yes, it’s a carbon copy of the computing environment tailored to the needs of the organization so OS settings, apps, etc. are ready to go. When you’re deploying a large number of PCs it’s a huge time saver.

I see, thanks! Makes a lot of sense, i had an IT guy at a tiny engineering firm i interned at do this with a Ubuntu distribution and it blew my minded how he could just simultaneously set up a dozen computers.

But why make them all inflexible? I'm sure every second employee needs some Specialized programs to work productively, not everyone needs the same stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

I see, thanks! Makes a lot of sense, i had an IT guy at a tiny engineering firm i interned at do this with a Ubuntu distribution and it blew my minded how he could just simultaneously set up a dozen computers.

But why make them all inflexible? I'm sure every second employee needs some Specialized programs to work productively, not everyone needs the same stuff.

In a lot of environments people just need Office, a web browser, and maybe one or two specialized programs like the internal database or something. And you don't want everyone to have an admin account. Or have their computers never lock or sleep.

I just got a new office and am going to have to deal with trying to get better equipment and hopefully an admin account since I actually know what I'm doing, but would settle for equipment that feels like it's from this decade.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Son of Rodney posted:

Down this road lies only pain

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of corporate images are needlessly restrictive. If you have any work experience, you probably have a few tools you've found that make your life easier and just going bluntly "no" to any request for software is dumb.

A previous job had a nice software portal where anyone could request software, and depending on which software it was it would either be installed immediately or be sent off for manager and/or application owner approval. After approval it would get automatically pushed to your machine.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

my work machine is pretty locked down these days, all the http/s traffic is proxied and filtered, any unknown exes need to be approved by IT to be ran

i get why they do it, most people in the company are useless with tech and will get cryptolockered but every other day I need to bug IT to let something through the web filtering / exe list and it adds so much extra time to something that should be easy

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Atopian posted:

If I were the dude, and assuming that X was a legitimate requirement of my position, I'd probably just hotkey up something to automatically open a ticket about it with a single keypress, then hit the button whenever I came up against that problem in the course of my work.

Maybe he didn't - stuff like this is pretty often an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Tarkus posted:

Tangentially related since I've seen a bunch of people on Linkedin who got fired/laid off try to put a nice spin on everything on their feed and gush about their former company. It always makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9bFLKvhK4

Last year when the company I worked for was doing involuntary layoffs there was a wave of the most nauseating bullshit garbage on LinkedIn from people who had been fired. Being a part of that group myself it made me physically ill to read some of the messages about how great the company was and all the good times and what a privilege it had been to work there...unbelievable. I was actually pretty angry and upset about being fired but maybe I just didn't appreciate the great sacrifice the worlds largest commercial aviation and defense company was making by firing me and 3 other people in my department for the good of the company.

I didn't quit, I wasn't going to write some lovely email to everyone, I was fired and I went and packed my desk up and went home. One of my colleagues who's still employed there was telling me a few weeks ago that people who had been told they were being released WERE STILL COMING TO MEETINGS. Where are their spines? When did Americans completely bend over for our corporate overlords?

And while we're on the subject, LinkedIn is the largest source of cringy, newsfeed garbage that social media has ever seen. I'm not at all sure why anyone posts the trash that they post on there.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

vyst posted:

LinkedIn is becoming worse than Facebook. I swear people huff their own farts way more on there these days

I hate linkedin. Its useless for getting jobs in my field and its full of vendors. The sales people are thirstier than a jilted tinder date.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Fried Watermelon posted:

Really funny that so many economics websites and marketing companies are churning out articles saying that WFH is a mistake and will cause your business to be destroyed, when all evidence is to the contrary. It's nearly all OPINION articles clamoring for a back to the norm.
Keep in mind managers are the ones putting out this junk. They're projecting their need for everyone to be in the office so they can have some semblance of power and control back. gently caress them.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pekinduck posted:

Two days later...

CC: Benefits, HR
SUBJECT: [REQUIRED] Your recent email; Continued employment status

Boss is inviting you to a Zoom meeting.....

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Have your best goatse images prepared.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Xaintrailles posted:

Maybe he didn't - stuff like this is pretty often an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem.

Then it's better solved by figuring out what the real issue is than by being a stonewalling jackass that refuses to even consider that the coworker might actually need to do something. I'm reminded of what a loving pain necessary accessibility settings can be with corporate setups (see also, the other guy who mentioned colorblind mode).

I may or may not have to deal with an IT guy like OP on a regular basis who's made my life much harder over a single accessibility setting he has the power to fix and refuses, for the past 8 months or so.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

Wow now I'm glad the IT I worked with at my corporation were actually nice and were willing to try to solve my problems even though we were hindered by a corporate-provided image, too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Atopian posted:

The X he wanted to do was to put his PC into sleep mode, shove it into a laptop bag. It was going into Connected Standby (which is what our PCs are set to do) and was overheating while commuting.

There's no option to Hibernate for us and probably never will be (We can't even get the networking team to fix the issues OneNote is apparently having with our firewall because "Well it works fine on [Parent Company's Domain]"). He also said he pretty much never shuts down. Which is common in our company and I've lost count of how many "Uuuhhh, my Pc is like... Bulging?!" tickets and walk-ups we've had since the pandemic started.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

I hate linkedin. Its useless for getting jobs in my field and its full of vendors. The sales people are thirstier than a jilted tinder date.

98 percent of my LinkedIn messages are cookie cutter emails from people “specializing in exit strategies for business owners” looking to buy my business in what I assume is some form of scam.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I got my current job through LinkedIn, but haven't used the site since then. Anyone that is just checkin' in on the ol' LinkedIn for fun is a complete maniac

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

The X he wanted to do was to put his PC into sleep mode, shove it into a laptop bag. It was going into Connected Standby (which is what our PCs are set to do) and was overheating while commuting.

There's no option to Hibernate for us and probably never will be (We can't even get the networking team to fix the issues OneNote is apparently having with our firewall because "Well it works fine on [Parent Company's Domain]"). He also said he pretty much never shuts down. Which is common in our company and I've lost count of how many "Uuuhhh, my Pc is like... Bulging?!" tickets and walk-ups we've had since the pandemic started.

I'm neutral on the issue of shutting down / sleeping / whatever, but if the upshot is that an issue common enough for you to lose count of tickets involving it is just being ignored by IT, then it might be worth kicking it up the chain. I mean, you can see why he might be a bit disbelieving under the circumstances, right?

Obviously if I were that guy I would be spreading my ticket macro to everyone else who has this problem, in the hope that they would either blot out the Sun or dominate the metrics.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Atopian posted:

I'm neutral on the issue of shutting down / sleeping / whatever, but if the upshot is that an issue common enough for you to lose count of tickets involving it is just being ignored by IT, then it might be worth kicking it up the chain. I mean, you can see why he might be a bit disbelieving under the circumstances, right?

Obviously if I were that guy I would be spreading my ticket macro to everyone else who has this problem, in the hope that they would either blot out the Sun or dominate the metrics.

We've barked up that tree before. Once we noticed the uptick in "Forbidden Capri Suns" as my boss calls the swollen batteries, one of us who is a former sysadmin went digging and figured out a change in our Group Policy could enable a setting so that the battery discharges regularly to help maintain it. The Group Policy team black holed our request because, again, "we're moving to a different domain and then it's the parent company's problem because it's their group policy." That team's also been gutted because whoever their new overlord from the parent company is is apparently dumber than poo poo and threatens their jobs in the same way one might ask "hey, can you do me a quick favor?" so all the people who would be amenable to the requests of our team of lower-mid-level computer janitors are long gone.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ouch.
Well, it does seem at this point that the actions you took were the only ones possible.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
For the swollen batteries thing I would try going through the fire safety person.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xaintrailles posted:

For the swollen batteries thing I would try going through the fire safety person.

EHS, probably, but offices suck at actually having an EHS person or doing anything about regulated and/or hazardous waste.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Speaking of bastard IT depts and corporate images, I just ran in this today:

No, there is no password manager to use instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Speaking of bastard IT depts and corporate images, I just ran in this today:

No, there is no password manager to use instead.

Clearly they got a good deal on Post-It notes and just want you to use those stuck to your monitor instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My work always nags us about booking Christmas leave, even though the stated cutoff to have it submitted is usually sometime in mid-November.

This year I got the nag email today. "I know it’s July but it’s also worth getting your AL + Bonus Leave requests in as early as possible too."

Why is it worth booking my leave as early as possible? It isn't! It doesn't benefit me in any way to book it so early!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
My old work sent out quarterly forms to fill in your desired future quarter leave time which were the only official way of requesting leave. For example in Q1 2017 you'd get a form to fill out for Q2.

Of 2018.

It was ostensibly to assist in rostering, in an environment where rosters were only ever planned a maximum of 8 weeks in advance.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

~Coxy posted:

My work always nags us about booking Christmas leave, even though the stated cutoff to have it submitted is usually sometime in mid-November.

This year I got the nag email today. "I know it’s July but it’s also worth getting your AL + Bonus Leave requests in as early as possible too."

Why is it worth booking my leave as early as possible? It isn't! It doesn't benefit me in any way to book it so early!

I had to work over Christmas two years in a row because the rest of my team submitted their leave requests in February, HR started to block people booking them before November....

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The hard drive for your work laptop has failed. Bring it to IT to get a replacement. Sure, no problem.

Who told you to come to IT? We're very busy right now and I wasn't assigned to your ticket, so I can't take your laptop. Uh, okay...

Someone's been assigned to your ticket. Bring in your laptop. Fine.

You have to log onto the company WiFi to set up a new computer. I did not tell you this despite you mentioning that you're working from home. Come back to campus to sign on. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The hard drive for your work laptop has failed. Bring it to IT to get a replacement. Sure, no problem.

Who told you to come to IT? We're very busy right now and I wasn't assigned to your ticket, so I can't take your laptop. Uh, okay...

Someone's been assigned to your ticket. Bring in your laptop. Fine.

You have to log onto the company WiFi to set up a new computer. I did not tell you this despite you mentioning that you're working from home. Come back to campus to sign on. :argh:

I love these hosed up little corpo logic puzzles

Your corporate connectivity is broken. Please log on to the company intranet to connect with IT. You need corporate connectivity to access the intranet. There is a phone number for IT, but it is not answered and states that the voice-mail box is full. What do you do?