Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Centusin posted:

Everyone here loves to refer to Sydney's spillover, keep in mind at many points in this pandemic, 50% of returned travellers in NSW hotel quarantine have been people travelling onto other states after returning internationally without anybody in NSW complaining about the Labor premiers abandoning returning Australians. Perhaps NSW quarantine would have never had any leaks at all had Labor premiers been willing to do their job and help reunite Australians with their families, without inventing imaginary evil migrant holidaymaker narratives.

Those outbreaks in Melbourne and Perth didn't involve hairdressers that worked at a salon where 900 clients were potentially exposed. The first limo driver case in this outbreak was reported on the the 16th, the problems with the Double Bay Salon began on the 15th and were unknown until the 24th, at which point restrictions immediately began to tighten. Unless NSW was supposed to lockdown before any cases were reported, the situation is not remotely comparable to the small number of cases Victoria and Perth had to deal with.

It does seem like a valid point that right now Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, South Korea, Malaysia, Fiji etc are experiencing record numbers of cases despite having handled the situation well up to now. It's almost like this is a more infectious variant that is harder to deal with, which results in more unknown spread earlier on. And NSW is still better positioned than most other places that are handling a Delta outbreak right now.

They knew about spread on the 19th/20th but sat on their hands because of laziness / hubris / not interfering with the budget. Had they taken action then lockdown would have finished by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Brisbane also just had a snap 4 day lock down that seems to have worked, and the mine sight in the NT also locked down straight away and shut down transmission.

The solution is to not gently caress around, now Sydney is finding out.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Now look, I hate Sydney as much as anyone.

That’s all I’ve got.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

they're gonna lock the borders again. hard vic.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

hambeet posted:

they're gonna lock the borders again. hard vic.

Kinda surprised they haven't already tbh

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Centusin posted:

Everyone here loves to refer to Sydney's spillover, keep in mind at many points in this pandemic, 50% of returned travellers in NSW hotel quarantine have been people travelling onto other states after returning internationally without anybody in NSW complaining about the Labor premiers abandoning returning Australians. Perhaps NSW quarantine would have never had any leaks at all had Labor premiers been willing to do their job and help reunite Australians with their families, without inventing imaginary evil migrant holidaymaker narratives.

Those outbreaks in Melbourne and Perth didn't involve hairdressers that worked at a salon where 900 clients were potentially exposed. The first limo driver case in this outbreak was reported on the the 16th, the problems with the Double Bay Salon began on the 15th and were unknown until the 24th, at which point restrictions immediately began to tighten. Unless NSW was supposed to lockdown before any cases were reported, the situation is not remotely comparable to the small number of cases Victoria and Perth had to deal with.

It does seem like a valid point that right now Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, South Korea, Malaysia, Fiji etc are experiencing record numbers of cases despite having handled the situation well up to now. It's almost like this is a more infectious variant that is harder to deal with, which results in more unknown spread earlier on. And NSW is still better positioned than most other places that are handling a Delta outbreak right now.

It's possible to believe that other states should be taking more returned travellers and also that NSW's insistence on playing chicken with COVID puts itself and the rest of the country at heightened risk, cheers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tomberforce posted:

Kinda surprised they haven't already tbh

They really should have by now.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
idk about the other countries but i know things got worse in South Korea because they hosed up and decided to ease restrictions too much 'for the economy' when previously they'd been much stricter, and they've also struggled to get vaccine supplies too

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's Laybah Covid mistah speakah.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hooman posted:

It's Laybah Covid mistah speakah.

ARREST DAN ANDREWS

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Scott Morrison has been compromised to a permanent end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

spaceblancmange posted:

Surely this will be what tanks his leadership

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ALP tragics sure are obsessed with scumos appearance

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Well none of the scandals, corruption or negligence being exposed has done anything.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

spaceblancmange posted:

last time i brought this up as a joke it caused like a full page derail, you absolute madman

bowmore posted:

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

imagine going back like 5 years and telling somebody that by the middle of 2021 Queensland won't be the worst state.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bowmore posted:

Reverse sexism imo

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

imagine going back like 5 years and telling somebody that by the middle of 2021 Queensland won't be the worst state.

lol!

e: what a world we live in

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
QLD still has to take responsibility for Clive Palmer so they shouldn't get too cocky here.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

77 today and “I will be shocked if it’s not 100+ tomorrow”
:chanpop:

Lots of commentary on the cost of lockdown, not much commentary on the enormous economic benefits if we just let the entire population of NSW die. Would put serious upward pressure on wage growth, downward pressure on house prices, and many estates would have no surviving benefactors so would be a real boon for the balance sheets of QLD, SA, VIC and ACT after figuring out partition of territories.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 11, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

So, hard border closures with QLD and Vic when?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

QLD still has to take responsibility for Clive Palmer so they shouldn't get too cocky here.
Don't forget One Nation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

77 today and “I will be shocked if it’s not 100+ tomorrow”
:chanpop:

Lots of commentary on the cost of lockdown, not much commentary on the enormous economic benefits if we just let the entire population of NSW die. Would put serious upward pressure on wage growth, downward pressure on house prices, and many estates would have no surviving benefactors so would be a real boon for the balance sheets of QLD, SA, VIC and ACT after figuring out partition of territories.

Amazing how they seem totally unfamiliar with the concept that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

Amazing how they seem totally unfamiliar with the concept that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Unfortunately we’re a few centuries late to prevent NSW, so we’ve got to make do

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Capt.Whorebags posted:

So, hard border closures with QLD and Vic when?

I'm not sure why it hasnt happened already

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not sure why it hasnt happened already

Dan has gone as soft as his vertebrae

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I am annoyed that Victoria's border isn't closed yet but genuinely surprised Queensland's isn't, what's the go there?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Mr weimar has been hinting very heavily its happening very soon and that the rats should flee south.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

I am annoyed that Victoria's border isn't closed yet but genuinely surprised Queensland's isn't, what's the go there?

I asked them to keep it open a little bit longer while my parents sell their house for 20% above what they were trying for last year. Sorry, won't be much longer.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Absolutely vile from Sky News
https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1413651719997714433

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

If Bolt/Jones/Credlin want their lung turns to liquid as they drown on dry land, that's their choice but they shouldn't drag everyone else into it

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Terrorist attacks kill fraction of a fraction of population: surrender liberties! More war! With us or against us!

Global pandemic: muh freedoms! Blood for the economy god!

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

The comments from Bolt and the other pathetic shock jocks will age like loving milk in the sun if this turns into (more of) a colossal clusterfuck in NSW.

It's insane VIC/QLD don't have their borders shut to NSW yet.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Terrorist attacks kill fraction of a fraction of population: surrender liberties! More war! With us or against us!

Global pandemic: muh freedoms! Blood for the economy god!

They can make money off war so it's OK /s. A pandemic? Not so much.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Cpt Soban posted:

They can make money off war so it's OK /s. A pandemic? Not so much.

This, and naked politics. Howard wanted Khaki Elections, hence East Timor (LOL sorry about ur offshore gas fields!) and the Global War on Terror (let’s check in with how Iraq and Afghanistan are going).

Abbot told the party room under Turnbull that he would oppose any climate agreement because he wanted the issue alive to wedge Labor at the election.

Luckily for the coalition we have short memories and some kind of masochism disorder.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

If Bolt/Jones/Credlin want their lung turns to liquid as they drown on dry land, that's their choice but they shouldn't drag everyone else into it

they've been vaxxed though. they don't care about those who haven't.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1414090146673135617

book your vaccination and maybe you'll get one eventually

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Paul Murray lost his son but he should have lost some weight.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

Victoria's Acting Chief Health Officer announced all of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory would become a red zone under the state's travel permit system at 11:59 tonight.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-11/victoria-to-close-border-to-nsw-as-covid-outbreak-worsens/100285020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Should have happened at least a week ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comments and Twitter full of people squealing that YOU DIDN'T WARN ANYONE IN THE ACT