Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I like trading, because it introduces a regret mechanic that I think all games benefit from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

I like trading, because it introduces a regret mechanic that I think all games benefit from.

:hmmyes:

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Sivad, you should put in a trade request to get rid of Endo.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take Hoshoryu, or failing that, Ichinojo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

sivad posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take Hoshoryu, or failing that, Ichinojo.

Registered for day 7.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I only trade for injury and even that’s backfired so far with Takayasu/Wakatakage.

Other than that, I like going ride or die with my big boys.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

NuclearPotato posted:

While we eagerly await the start of Day 6 action, have some photos of wrestlers getting COVID shots to tide you over: https://twitter.com/aryaryagi/status/1413054102670438407

Just realised top right is former Aminishiki, who is totally playing it up. They used to photograph the annual health checks and I'm pretty sure there's photos of him reacting the same way to his pulse being taken or height measured.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Cage Kicker posted:

The first time I did sumo I traded a guy who lost his first 4 matches and then he went 6 wins in a row I think. I never trade anymore except for injury.
Gonna use this as an excuse to post my favorite comeback fact: in September 2011, Toyonoshima came back from being 1-7 on Day 8 to finish 8-7; this was only the second time since 1993 that anyone had recovered from 1-7 to clinch a kachokoshi. The other time? Also Toyonoshima, three bashos previously.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Apraxin posted:

Gonna use this as an excuse to post my favorite comeback fact: in September 2011, Toyonoshima came back from being 1-7 on Day 8 to finish 8-7; this was only the second time since 1993 that anyone had recovered from 1-7 to clinch a kachokoshi. The other time? Also Toyonoshima, three bashos previously.

That's really cool

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Just realised top right is former Aminishiki, who is totally playing it up. They used to photograph the annual health checks and I'm pretty sure there's photos of him reacting the same way to his pulse being taken or height measured.

Wait seriously? It's so weird seeing retirement ceremonies so delayed, I mean they weren't that quickly scheduled to begin with but Aminishiki has been retired for 2 years.

But yeah, the faces are mostly a running gag during their routine medicals, though maybe some of them are genuine.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
goddam sumo whips rear end

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

Wait seriously? It's so weird seeing retirement ceremonies so delayed, I mean they weren't that quickly scheduled to begin with but Aminishiki has been retired for 2 years.

But yeah, the faces are mostly a running gag during their routine medicals, though maybe some of them are genuine.

Yeah, I had to look twice, too.

Myogiryu, I believe, has a needle phobia, so his will be genuine.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Enho really got a rough call on that mono-ii. I thought it should have at least been a torinaoshi

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Best loving main event ever.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

anakha posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that main event WHIPPED

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
loving howling. that was worth staying up for

edit can i trade Myogiryu for someone? Tamawashi maybe if not can it be anyone else

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 10, 2021

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

KungFu Grip posted:

loving howling. that was worth staying up for

anakha posted:

harperdc posted:

that main event WHIPPED

:hmmyes:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Sumo is Good & Cool

What a bloody great last bout

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
big ups tobizaru for trying, er, something

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is it weird that I want Hakuho to throw me?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Chinook posted:

You and Tobizaru, both.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats for dinner posted:

Enho really got a rough call on that mono-ii. I thought it should have at least been a torinaoshi

He bashed his skull again and they only just had to rule against a rematch feat. concussed enho

Very impressive suicide throw though since its very hard to counter that underarm grip the larger wrestlers can get on shorter ones

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Enho getting screwed by his top knot is just another tough break in a long line of tough breaks. Really hope he just pulls out before adding a third concussion to this tournament.

Hakuho vs Tobizaru was loving hilarious. Like a child trying to wrestle his father. I’m not sure if my favorite part was Tobizaru trying to feint and Hakuho not moving a millimeter or Tobizaru meekly grabbing for a wrist and then deciding that was a really bad idea.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chinook posted:

Should this be the sumo equivalent of being slapped by Inoki?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

A feature of participating in a sanctioned fight is the anxiety. Between 24 and 48 hours before go time it occupies your waking mind and most of what should be your sleeping mind. In the hours before the anxiety reaches new heights. You may vomit. You start tinking of plausible excuses to run away. Eventually you make the walk, the bell goes, and it all melts away.

The last bit absolutely did not happen to Tobizaru.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm so hyped for Hakuho x Terunofuji, please don't get injured, both of you.

Ichiyamamoto is one to look out for, he's been pretty solid this basho. Dude's been pretty consistent climbing to makuiichi too, he never won a yusho or had a especially stellar record, but he's gone 10-5 twice to make it to the top division.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love Tobizaru, and I think trying for a novel approach doesn't need to mean nerves got to him.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm hoping for a week 2 bounce but otherwise I guess :regd08:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd like to see Hakuho go up against a brawler of similar size, injury seems to be his main worry.

I don't think there's that many killer instinct people around in the top division though, juryo is full of people out to maim and concuss by comparison afaik

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That main event sure was something...

It was an actual competitive version of the Enho-Hakuho exhibition match that was played for jokes awhile ago

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

that main event ruled so much.

couple lower division notes i want to point out as no one's mentioned them here in recent pages. abi's 7-0 in juryo, still undefeated since his return from suspension. is promotion to makuuchi possible if he gets a zensho from j14? guessing being at the top of juryo in september is more likely.

hokuseiho (hakuho's giant teenage protogé) is 4-0 at makushita 2 and the only undefeated rikishi left in the division. he'll certainly make is seikitori debut next basho

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 10, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was loving cackling during the entire musubi no ichiban. I've never seen a wrestler look more visibly terrified than Tobizaru. Takakeisho had a similar thing the first time he faced Hakuho, but I do think Keisho comported himself a bit better.

Other than the main event, there were some great bouts today, including Chiyoshoma coming through with another great throw and Kotonowaka finally showing up in serious way for the first time in a couple basho. Other than Takakeisho getting hurt this has been an excellent basho so far.

Just in case anyone is on the fence, today is the last day for trading. We don't do trades in the second week, so get while the getting is good.

Day 7 standings

Makuuchi

code:
25	Lid
25	Skjorte
24	bartolimu
24	Kenning
23	captainblastum
23	Everyones Favorite Poster
23	GoatSeeGuy
22	Beeswax
22	Brut
22	jmzero
22	MalarkeyToboggan
21	Fluffdaddy
21	Maigius
21	MyChemicalImbalance
21	ratmosphere
21	Teddybear
21	whats for dinner
20	Banana Canada
20	Dias
20	Ice Phisherman
20	pseudodragon
20	scripterror
19	Biosys
19	Helianthus Annuus
19	Khizan
19	Marching Powder
19	Neodoomium
19	Pakled
19	Shiroc
19	Thauros
19	Tiny Bug Child
19	Tochiazuma
18.5	Scythe
18	anakha
18	Charles Gnarwin
18	Crusty Nutsack
18	QuasiQuack
18	sivad
18	Vargatron
17	bessantj
17	Chinook
17	Liquid Communism
16.5	Cage Kicker
16	Jobbo_Fett
16	Robviously
Juryo

code:
21	TwoWordName
20	KungFu Grip
19	Bellwether
19	Halloween Jack
18	Communist Thoughts
18	Eli949
18	LlamaTrauma
18	Martytoof
18	rare Magic card l00k
17.5	Netsky
16	NuclearPotato
15	Log082
12	Foehammer007
12	ilmucche
11	Glugglugs

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 10, 2021

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Final match, immediately slamming that into a highlight reel. Such a funny bout

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Poor Tobizaru. It reminds me of the clear apprehension many boxers exhibited before their bouts with prime Mike Tyson. I remember fondly Spinks looking almost paralyzed with nervousness. He lost long before the bell rang out, much like Tobizaru did.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 10, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just echo-ing everyone else that the last bout loving rocked. What an interesting match that almost reminded me of like an mma match or something for a bit there

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

net work error posted:

Just echo-ing everyone else that the last bout loving rocked.

gently caress yeah it did.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

Just in case anyone is on the fence, today is the last day for trading. We don't do trades in the second week, so get while the getting is good.

screw it, i'll drop daiesho for my normal slot pick of hokutofuji he's also already gone through the san'yaku and daiesho just doesn't look right beyond the compition level he's faced

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Fair play to Tobizaru, it was his first time up against the man who is the very apex of sumo. Imagine growing up and having intentions of high level sumo and The Guy is who you're up against next. He knew he was getting punted no matter what and he tried to think his way out of the loss and he still got creamed as if he had no idea of what he was doing. He'll gain a lot of confidence from that loss I imagine.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Poor Tobizaru. It reminds me of the clear apprehension many boxers exhibited before their bouts with prime Mike Tyson. I remember fondly Spinks looking almost paralyzed with nervousness. He lost long before the bell rang out, much like Tobizaru did.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth eh? Tobizaru probably saw that one go differently but it owned regardless.

Kenning posted:

I may be tempting a slapdown from the sumo gods but can I please trade my first choice Terutsoyoshi for my 3rd, Kiribayama?

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Thauros posted:

abi's 7-0 in juryo, still undefeated since his return from suspension.

What was he suspended for and for how long?