Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

Hard disagree; Daybreak fixed problems with the game (sympathizer --> mutineer) and added interesting options like Cylon leaders

And at least it didn't have "Crossroads" or whatever the trial/boxing mini game was

For me Cylon Leaders really highlight a huge problem in the game, some people have fun roles and some don't. For every game where you get to be the cool Cylon or Cylon leader you have 2 as just a human and not even an interesting one. Like a pilot or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Siivola posted:

How well does Eldritch Horror work with only two players? I'm thinking of getting a Cthulhu game and pondering between EH and the upcoming new edition of the Arkham LCG. Looking to play with my gf and possibly two other people.

I've played quite a bit of Arkham and Eldritch horror. I've only played the LCG once, and it went very very badly (like not fun) but I have it on authority it's good

I would choose Cthulu: Death May Die over them every single time, personally.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played New York zoo. Didn’t find it that interesting, but my strategy of finding the smallest pen and breeding the hell out of it worked, so it’s at least realistic.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got a first full play of Oath in. We used the guided setup during a 4th of July party (then down to 3 players) but had to cut that short. Started a new game with the same cards but randomized and no tutorial starts a couple nights ago.

I played as the chancellor trying to hold conquest over the land (mostly slums) until an exile tried to win over the peoples favor by daring to feed them. I of course marched over, made the other player a fellow citizen, and brutally exterminated the exiles war bands, taking the peoples favor and promptly refusing to feed them. The citizen managed to come from behind by gaining the peoples favor and some relics, allowing them to win with a dice roll after round 6.

Oath feels a lot like a sleek euro engine game that has a card game layered over the top. The engine is your meat and potatoes, but the cards you can get and their powers are what really drive everything. They are very random. They are very powerful in some situations. They evoke narratives and feelings. It reminds me of something like a magic the gathering draft, but compressed into 2-3 hours. You have to play on your feet, make some gambles, and be willing to lose. Oath doesn’t feel like a game where you go in knowing your strategies and plans. It feels like a game where you are adaptable, can read the world state, and can gamble when, where, and how to make your moves. It evokes some of those old feelings of playing risk or Pokémon cards. A big difference being that rather then ALWAYS having to gamble, you instead choose when to gamble. Every player is within reach of victory. It was a ton of fun to see how things shook out.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

!Klams posted:

I've played quite a bit of Arkham and Eldritch horror. I've only played the LCG once, and it went very very badly (like not fun) but I have it on authority it's good

It's a card game so you'll need a sizeable investment before it's really "fun" (in terms of card availability and story content). I'm assuming you played the core set, which is not at all representative of the potential that the game has.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Podima posted:

Exodus is the garbage expansion, yeah. Pegasus added the second ship and Treachery(!), even ignoring New Caprica (which you should do). Daybreak has the Search for Home stuff which you can and should completely disregard, but Cylon Leaders and the Mutineer are objectively great changes.

Yeah, Pegasus and Daybreak both had some really good stuff - the new Treachery deck in Daybreak is great as well. I don't recall any good bits in Exodus but I imagine it still had new crises etc. and some new cards. That Cthulhu remake on a cruise ship looks interesting but I would much prefer a proper BSG rerelease with all the good bits from the expansions added in.

I haven't played BSG in ages - I might need to check if somebody in the local boardgaming group owns the game and would like to host, when it's safe to do so.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fr0id posted:

I got a first full play of Oath in. We used the guided setup during a 4th of July party (then down to 3 players) but had to cut that short. Started a new game with the same cards but randomized and no tutorial starts a couple nights ago.

Thanks for this. I was intrigued by Oath but wary that it was going to be another typical Cole Werle game - admirable, interesting, well-designed but demanding a lot of investment and a bit bloodless. This sounds like it might be up my alley. How hard is it to teach?

(For reference - I can see that Pax Pamir is a better game than Pax Porfiriana but it's not as crazy fun. I admired Root, but my gaming group bounced off it after a savage first game, declining to spend more time on it. John Company / Infamous Traffic are waiting for me to digest and understand the rules.)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Freakie posted:

It's a card game so you'll need a sizeable investment before it's really "fun" (in terms of card availability and story content). I'm assuming you played the core set, which is not at all representative of the potential that the game has.

I can't imagine what it would be like to play with just one of the old cores. I don't think I would have fun with that. The old way if distribution meant there were a lot of products that were useless on their own, including to a certain extent the core set.

Until the new core comes out, I recommend getting the standalone investigator decks alongside a single old core. You can also just get one or two investigator decks if you want. You also might be able to find the old coresets cheap to clear stock for the new ones.

These investigator decks will push your cost up but your options as players will be significantly expanded. The investigator decks are much better on their own compared to what you can do with a single core, and they give you all sorts of fun upgrade options.

You'll be limited by the three scenario core campaign, but in a couple months there will be a box containing no player cards, but a ten scenario campaign with plenty of replayability.

At that point, you'll have 13 scenarios and a bunch of player cards, at the cost of ~$120 depending on how many investigator decks you get.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

You can also just get one or two investigator decks if you want.
Wait, without buying the core set at all?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

One thing I would say is that Arkham Horror LCG is not that much fun to play with someone who has played a lot. It's good if you play from the start with someone.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 9, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aramoro posted:

One thing I would say is that Arkham Horror LCG is not that mush fun to play with someone who has played a lot. It's good if you play from the start with someone.

Honestly this is true for all but a few games in my experience. No one enjoys getting slaughtered by a pro in a competitive game nor having a game played for them with quarterbacking in a cooperative one. I try to introduce Spirit Island to as many people as possible and I had to train myself to clam up so the rookies maintain their agency even if that means we eventually fall to ruin.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
BSG: Exodus had a lot of interesting ideas and implemented some elements of the show in decent ways! However, the mechanical implementation of all those ideas sucked rear end and the sum total of them being in the game was very negative.

Like cylon fleet board would be better in some weird co-op version of the game where mashing the CFB action wasn’t the most optimal thing. Allies were interesting but there’s not great way to implement them without the exile/boxing endgame to incentivize you to make the allies go against your team.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
For comparison Eldritch Horror is a bit worse with two players for the same reason that e.g. base Pandemic is less good with two players, it's a game about running around a big map putting out fires and accomplishing objectives. While it does scale down to two (or even one) players, it's by necessity much swingier because you can more easily be put into a position where the urgent fire is way out of reach of both of your characters.

That being said, it's a pure co-op game where all the player-facing information is meant to be shared, so if you don't mind playing two-handed it could be a great fit. You may also want to check out the new Arkham Horror 3e (not LCG), which is actively getting expansion support and should be easier to get hold of.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Siivola posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/3/24/your-investigation-begins/

Yeah, they released stand alone investigators. You wouldn't have the tokens and such, but there are apps for that and you can easily proxy health/resource counters.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Best way to get into Arkham Horror LCG is either tabletop simulator or buying it second hand.

I'm sure multiple people in this thread would be willing to teach it over tabletop simulator if there is any interest. Just let us know!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you’re waiting a couple of months for the new scenario box, you might as well just get the new core too. If you want something faster you’ll want to get a complete cycle, which are at least mostly available right now. A full cycle is $120 msrp, but as low as $96 through online retailers like Atomic Empire. You’d also still need at least one core set for the generic encounter cards, unless you get someone’s extras (folks in AH LCG thread probably have some lying around). The full cycle will also give you enough player cards and investigators to make buying four investigator packs unnecessary, though you may still want one or two!

I definitely wouldn’t buy in to Arkham planning on just playing the core scenarios, though. They’re significantly less fun than the expansion campaigns. The Tabletop Simulator suggestion is good for trying it out before you buy in, but you’ll need to get someone to share the mod with you. Asmodee took it down in the middle of the pandemic when most of their cycles had packs that hadn’t been in stock for months…

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Siivola posted:

The distribution model is moving towards separating the scenario and player cards into separate products, with the exception of the core.

They have always had standalone scenarios, but last year they released 5 standalone investigators. Starting with the next cycle, they will drop the idea of a box and 6 packs, of which each contains a few player cards and scenarios. Instead they will just release two boxes: one with investigator cards and one with a full campaign of scenarios.

So now, if one person has all the campaign stuff and tokens, and their friend wants to play, all their friend needs to do is pick up a $15 investigator pack. If they want a bigger pool of cards, they can get a $40 box containing a cycle's worth of player cards.

So in short, not everyone will need to own a core, just one player.

The new way of doing things saves "completionist" players about $20 per cycle, and people who just want player cards about $80 per cycle.

There is a good chance they will be re-releasing older cycles using this model. The official word is 'stay tuned'.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's actually really cool of FFG. Nobody I know has a Core so I probably should get one, so I think I'm going to grab the revised box when it releases. Hopefully the local shops get their copies on time.

GetDunked posted:

That being said, it's a pure co-op game where all the player-facing information is meant to be shared, so if you don't mind playing two-handed it could be a great fit. You may also want to check out the new Arkham Horror 3e (not LCG), which is actively getting expansion support and should be easier to get hold of.
I thought about AH but I remember playing the first FFG edition and oh boy I do not have the table space for that. I guess the 3rd edition board is more manageable?

Edit: Does AH still take three hours to play? Eldritch is slightly shorter, right?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 10, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Terraforming Mars, a game about terraforming another planet as we have trashed the poo poo out of ours.

Also Terraforming Mars: 200 individually bagged metal cubes for the Big Box.

Shameful.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Infinitum posted:

Terraforming Mars, a game about terraforming another planet as we have trashed the poo poo out of ours.

Shameful.

What the gently caress. Why are the individually bagged? Are they made of something special that they are worried will get scratched in transit or something? The logistics of packing them all individually seems insane.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Shameful.

Trash game is more trash than game, news at eleven :v:.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KongGeorgeVII posted:

What the gently caress. Why are the individually bagged? Are they made of something special that they are worried will get scratched in transit or something? The logistics of packing them all individually seems insane.

The Kickstarter update posted:

Some of you have noted that all of the metal cubes come individually packaged, and that is clearly very wasteful. We didn’t ask for it this way, once we got a complete production sample we immediately asked that the cubes be packaged in a smaller number of bags - but at that point the assembly had already been completed. Clearly the factory’s intention was to protect the metal cubes from becoming scratched, this was a very expensive product to make so we understand their desire to keep the cubes pristine. We will have to look at how we can handle this in the future, it’s not an easy balance as we know there are lots of backers that appreciate getting cubes without the scratches that global shipping inevitably brings. Tough choices.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It seems extremely strange that nobody on the production side thought to ask if they wanted them bagged, I don't think that you can really blame Stronghold Games for the factory making that decision on their own

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
When I get done playing a game, I like to bag each individual cube to protect my investment.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Reuse and Recycle! Find your local drug dealer and make a donation!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Siivola posted:

I thought about AH but I remember playing the first FFG edition and oh boy I do not have the table space for that. I guess the 3rd edition board is more manageable?

Edit: Does AH still take three hours to play? Eldritch is slightly shorter, right?

Yes, it's much more manageable. Both games are noticeably shorter/smaller tablespace than the previous edition of Arkham Horror--one of the better innovations of Eldritch was that it only ever used up to one side board at a time, and had a generic encounter deck for spaces outside of the major areas instead of trying to fit something unique into each and every little space. Arkham 3E takes this a step further, replacing the big Arkham board with a series of modular ones, only some of which are used in any given scenario; this results in an even smaller footprint overall, and less of that classic Arkham feeling that your table space is being monopolized by a bunch of content that you will mostly never interact with.

That being said, though, two-three hours (depending on e.g. player count, experience) does still seem about right for playtime, and while both of them are better than Arkham 2E in terms of table space I wouldn't call either a terribly compact game.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Infinitum posted:

Shameful.

This is a joke.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Eagerly awaiting Sidereal Confluence Deluxe with individually shrink wrapped resource cubes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rusty Kettle posted:

When I get done playing a game, I like to bag each individual cube to protect my investment.

Sleeve your cubes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

GetDunked posted:

Eagerly awaiting Sidereal Confluence Deluxe with individually shrink wrapped resource cubes

Cube clamshells for my cubes or gtfo. I want nesting cubes.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Shameful.

:laffo: but also :smith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lot of wrong think ITT. You obviously shrink wrap the cubes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Shameful.

lmfao

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You should invite friends around but leave the cubes in the bags and force your friends to play the whole game with the cubes still in the bags.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

So they admitted that they only checked a production copy *after* production was completed?

Aren't production proofs supposed to be approved *before* making thousands of them?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Lot of wrong think ITT. You obviously shrink wrap the cubes.

a better way to protect them would be to bronze them

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Codeacious posted:

So they admitted that they only checked a production copy *after* production was completed?

Aren't production proofs supposed to be approved *before* making thousands of them?

Yeah this is why I'm having a bit of a head scratcher, cause surely the Mass Production Copy is the final quality check needed before everything is signed off on.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Codeacious posted:

I dunno manufacturing but is a Production Sample different from a Production Proof? Like, I can imagine a sample being from the actual factual production happening and the proof being an example of a small run as a demonstration, but I don't know if that is what these words actually mean.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah this is why I'm having a bit of a head scratcher, cause surely the Mass Production Copy is the final quality check needed before everything is signed off on.

I guarantee you thats how its supposed to work and the factory packaged everything ahead of time anyways. Thats just how factory management thinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Doesn't Stronghold produce their games in Indiana?