Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
My brain is now broken and I think I'm going to roll for Ayaka. I'm sorry. I failed in my duty to save for Baal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

dogsicle posted:

Dreamy has a guide back from her release, with nothing i can imagine having changed since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1xgMaA50U

she does well running with pyros since she gets to trigger oh so many melts (which you can build her towards), and ofc she can run as different flavor carries. iirc consistent bursting comes around 140% ER (the video should cover this) and you'll want to stack crit% for her A4 passive. i just run mine with Deathmatch and BS/NO mix, atk/cryo/crit for the time being. i definitely feel the lack of ER% since my artifacts are incredibly far from optimized.

ER% you say? Do I finally have someone to use this Skyward Spine with? I pulled this thing forever ago but never got Zhongli or Xiao.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

What the hell is a momentum disk? I got 3000 points and it doesn't look like there's challenges for doing certain things with them but I legit have no clue what it means and it seems I destroyed 0.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ultima66 posted:

What the hell is a momentum disk? I got 3000 points and it doesn't look like there's challenges for doing certain things with them but I legit have no clue what it means and it seems I destroyed 0.

The targets that show up around the battlefield where you're fighting. You hit them with a harpastum shot, and it gives you "momentum", which activates bonuses that make you a bit stronger to help fight. The event seems easy enough without them, though...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Try as I might I just cannot hit that 2000 point mark in this new event. Enemies aren't popping in fast enough and I have to spend so much time on breaking that hydro mage's shield.

Looking at it left to right everyone past Amber is an option, who among this list should I make a team of next? This party's already got three people at friendship lvl 6 (everyone except Jean), I have the materials to lvl up Venti to 70 and 8 his burst talent, take Lisa to 70, or Xianling and Xinyan to 70.

I don't know if I actually needed to blank out my UID or not but I assume I should start doing that because of the crossaves or something? I don't really understand any of the new features coming.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 10, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hazdoc posted:

My brain is now broken and I think I'm going to roll for Ayaka. I'm sorry. I failed in my duty to save for Baal.

Baal isn't going to be 2.1 so you have at least 69 days after ayaka releases, and inazuma will have a lot of primo since it's a new landmass.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RareAcumen posted:

Try as I might I just cannot hit that 2000 point mark in this new event. Enemies aren't popping in fast enough and I have to spend so much time on breaking that hydro mage's shield.

Looking at it left to right everyone past Amber is an option, who among this list should I make a team of next? This party's already got three people at friendship lvl 6 (everyone except Jean), I have the materials to lvl up Venti to 70 and 8 his burst talent, take Lisa to 70, or Xianling and Xinyan to 70.

I don't know if I actually needed to blank out my UID or not but I assume I should start doing that because of the crossaves or something? I don't really understand any of the new features coming.

I guess I don't know how it works on the playstation but i would assume it just means you can log in with your normal credentials on the other platform which you can't do with UID. At least i don't think you can, I guess I don't know for certain, but I mean you have to hand them out in order to friend people so it's clearly not meant to be private.

Anyway, I hit 2000 by lowering it down to the middle difficulty. I found I was consistently hitting 1500 points but only barely able to finish off the hydro mage before the timer ran out. Turning down the difficulty and using Sucrose, Venti, kaeya, and chongyun I just kept grouping everything up and hitting them with ice a ton and hit like 2300ish points.

The last wave is just treasure hoarders, they repeat indefinitely and have a low time between when you kill the last of one wave and spawn the next wave. Seems like once you get your momentum built up it doesn't go down that fast and it does give a big bonus to cryo and physical damage.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Yeah, word on leakstreet is that around half of Inazuma will release in 2.0 (still a lot) and the remaining will arrive closer to 2022 with Raiden. Should be plenty of time to save for her even if you pull now. In conclusion, pull for husbanemo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

Anyway, I hit 2000 by lowering it down to the middle difficulty. I found I was consistently hitting 1500 points but only barely able to finish off the hydro mage before the timer ran out. Turning down the difficulty and using Sucrose, Venti, kaeya, and chongyun I just kept grouping everything up and hitting them with ice a ton and hit like 2300ish points.

The last wave is just treasure hoarders, they repeat indefinitely and have a low time between when you kill the last of one wave and spawn the next wave. Seems like once you get your momentum built up it doesn't go down that fast and it does give a big bonus to cryo and physical damage.

Oh! Oh I thought you had to do it on the maximum difficulty to get all the rewards. I assumed they were gated by difficulty so I started doing the first one and I noticed that everyone was like, level 45 and assumed I couldn't get everything from finishing from that level.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Swapping over between combat and the harpastum for disk-breaking is utterly cancerous on console, jfc the imprecision and lag when trying to pull up the harpastum means it just does not happen in the midst of a fight. Oh and throwing the ball from too close means the disk doesn't register the hit. This event needs another 20 minutes in the oven, it's like the game has to ask the central server if I'm allowed to switch to the harpastum every single time I use it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Also if you just tap instead of hold to go into aim mode it autotargets nearby enemies. I kept hucking harpastum right out my back when I'd run up while they were gathered by ventis ult.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

C6 grants 100% crit rate, so a C6 hu tao going for big clips is full crit dmg

Even then you're still just multiplying your damage by like 2x what it'd be with a more "normal" build divided between crit % and crit dmg (like supposing someone got crit dmg as high as 300% - I don't know what's actually possible, but I don't imagine it'd be much higher than that). If I vaporize my Hu Tao's burst, it maybe hits for like 100-150k (on a crit).

I'd be curious to see the full math; like the base damage and all the multipliers involved.

edit: If that video person is a mega-whale to the point of having C6 5* characters, I imagine part of it is that they have a max refinement Staff of Homa and the huge attack buffs from that

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ytlaya posted:

Even then you're still just multiplying your damage by like 2x what it'd be with a more "normal" build divided between crit % and crit dmg (like supposing someone got crit dmg as high as 300% - I don't know what's actually possible, but I don't imagine it'd be much higher than that). If I vaporize my Hu Tao's burst, it maybe hits for like 100-150k (on a crit).

I'd be curious to see the full math; like the base damage and all the multipliers involved.

edit: If that video person is a mega-whale to the point of having C6 5* characters, I imagine part of it is that they have a max refinement Staff of Homa and the huge attack buffs from that

yeah, they're running max refine 5* weapons on everyone, full constellations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

yeah, they're running max refine 5* weapons on everyone, full constellations.

Imagine spending that much money on a videogame for any reason jesus CHRIST

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I watched an edited video of a dude C6igng Zhongli, Albedo and the 5* weapons on their banners.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

Still cheaper than Myteams or a regular clash of clans pvp

Like, people ignore the real dirty poo poo because it's American and not asian

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Still cheaper than Myteams or a regular clash of clans pvp

Like, people ignore the real dirty poo poo because it's American and not asian

Does Magic: The Gathering count as one? I can't think of any good parallels because none of them give characters, just everything else via loot boxes.

I'm thinking Valorant, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, Fortnite, Overwatch, I assume Apex Legends does that too.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Magic: The Gathering and Kinder Surprise Eggs (which, hilariously enough, are banned in some countries) should probably be considered the pioneers and forefathers of the modern gacha business model. Not sure whether there was similar massively successful CCGs before Magic.
I guess regular gacha machines have always been popular, going back for decades, but they've never really had the technology, infrastructure, market reach or customer incentives that the digital marketplace has discovered and utilized.

Kinder Surprise Eggs were huge when I grew up, but even those just have several inconveniences attached to them that will naturally discourage mass spending, even as these things specifically target children and collectors.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

at least magic has tangible cards you can play with in real life (and the fact a secondary market exists mitigates its randomness somewhat because you can just buy the card you need directly instead of jumping through hoops for a spark/pity)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The hot new craze in kids toys is literal lootboxes. We sold all kinds at my old job. Literally just trying to get kids to have gambling addictions as young as possible.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tae posted:

Still cheaper than Myteams

What's that?

quote:

or a regular clash of clans pvp

Like, the mobile game with the screaming cartoon viking guy? People spend money on that? A lot of it??

I wonder if baseball cards were the genesis of the "buy this blind box and maybe it'll have the thing you like" or if Crackerjacks came first or something else

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 10, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're proving my point that people only pay attention to lootboxes when it's not american.

MyTeam is Fifa, NBA, NFL, etc that makes billions and resets your entire collection every year with a 60 dollar entry fee.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Like, the mobile game with the screaming cartoon viking guy? People spend money on that? A lot of it??

IIRC Clash of Clans puts every player into mandatory open world pvp and the only way you can protect your town from getting completely trashed is by spending money every day to actually defend. Not like spend money to build up a base, literally just "spend money so your town doesn't get attacked" and "spend money to overcome the money the other clan spent on defense." Like I'm sure that's not literally how it works but what I've been told is basically at the end of the day two clans fight and whoever gave the dev less money on that day gets their base destroyed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, well if lootboxes count in general then this a whole different conversation. I was really struggling to think of actual gacha games as I understood them. Stuff that has you rolling for characters to use like Fate Go Online or Arknights, Granblue, Kantai Collection, Fire Emblem Heroes, or that horsegirl racing game.

I stopped playing Crash Team Racing because they decided to restructure the game's shop to be more like Fortnite with a rotating inventory of parts, decals and characters rather than just having you win stuff through doing races or just have everything available and waiting for you to buy it like any normal single player game would. And that wouldn't be as big an issue if they hadn't throttled how much money you earned each race by like a sixth if you don't have PS+

I know Horizon: Zero Dawn had them and clumsily took them out so it feels kinda weird to get rewards in a chest now, Shadow of War had that stuff excised too, I assume that Call of Duty moved onto doing that like 4 years ago or whenever PUBG came out and everyone started rushing to make their own Battle Royale in its wake.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tae posted:

You're proving my point that people only pay attention to lootboxes when it's not american.

MyTeam is Fifa, NBA, NFL, etc that makes billions and resets your entire collection every year with a 60 dollar entry fee.

But those are "surprise mechanics" and that's completely different! :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, well if lootboxes count in general then this a whole different conversation. I was really struggling to think of actual gacha games as I understood them. Stuff that has you rolling for characters to use like Fate Go Online or Arknights, Granblue, Kantai Collection, Fire Emblem Heroes, or that horsegirl racing game.

The myteam cards are literally characters.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tae posted:

The industry grumbling with Shadow of War and Battlefront 2 shows what happens when it breaks into mainstream stuff. Being largely insular protects the more niche markets. If GI was like every other tactics/match3/dumb-mobile-game-with-anime-girls thing I wouldn't be replying right now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The hot new craze in kids toys is literal lootboxes. We sold all kinds at my old job. Literally just trying to get kids to have gambling addictions as young as possible.

There was similar stuff in the 90s, that's nothing new

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Tae posted:

Just adding to this, I only have experience with the NBA side of microtransactions, but because these sports games are inherently PvP, it is practically impossible to get anywhere in these games without spending. There is absolutely no enjoyment to be had staying f2p. And it's not even really f2p, because you gotta buy the drat game for $60.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm unsurprised that they're basically Pokemon but viciously and actively targeting your wallet and none of the work you've done before transfers over.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Neverending Battle event seems pretty poo poo if your F2P and still hovering around the 50-60's in terms of levels. The Kaboom Ball one I aced cause it's not based around anything other than skill and reaction time and the one where you fight the 3 bosses I could also hack on normal with some handicaps even albeit with some struggle, but this one I'm stuck doing the lowest difficulty and can barely manage 350 pts with food buffs, let alone 500, let alone 2000, which I'm not even going to try since I just at least wanted the primo gems.

The obvious "trick" here on the first one is to have Ganyu/Eula and/or Venti but I don't have either of those. My Cryo people are Kaeya and Diona (little neglected of late and level 55 or so) and both are kind of poo poo for steady DPS to make it worth it for the superconduct boost. Also not a big fan of the whole having to stop and shoot a ball at targets to build up buffs, especially since it has a tendency to fly off in a random direction towards the enemies or pass right through the target. Looking like I'm kind SOL on this one for those extra primo gems. Maybe if the enemies weren't so tanky even on the absolute lowest setting and I had end game 5 star characters I'd have a better chance. :shrug:

Probably the first event I'm not really a fan of and quite frustrating for a F2P guy that has barely used the gacha and has been taking things relatively slow on cranking the numbers up tbh. Obviously the internet is total garbage for any sort of tips because it's either people with their 5 star min-maxed Ganyu/Venti teams bragging about how easy it was for them to do or that gossipy style of click-bait journalism that just rehashes (barely) how the mechanics of the event work, which the game explains well enough aside from the momentum thing, which btw barely helps me. I just plain think Lvl 55 Kaeya/Diona are not built to carry an event like this even a little to get to 500 and my other options aren't too hot either. Just Diluc at level 60 basically that gets no major damage bonuses and is still stuck using a 3 star weapon since I screwed up and got the wrong billet to make a Prototype Archaic.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 10, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is this on the lowest setting?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
That's not a F2P issue, you're just relatively low level - if you've already missed 6+ months of levelling/gathering materials since the game released, don't stress about missing a few days worth of rewards at most. You'll catch up in time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just get my primos and bounce for annoying events

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

Is this on the lowest setting?

This is on the absolute lowest setting or I can barely even kill anything yeah.

Taratang posted:

That's not a F2P issue, you're just relatively low level - if you've already missed 6+ months of levelling/gathering materials since the game released, don't stress about missing a few days worth of rewards at most. You'll catch up in time.

Yeah I'm thinking it's definitely a big part that too. I played a bit in October at first, got busy with work leading up to the holidays and then only recently tried the game again in March like 5-6ish months later and haven't exactly been gunning it to jack up the levels. Most characters I have are around level 50-60 like I said with most at 60 and same with weapons where just about everyone but Diluc has a 4 star now. Artifacts are looking around level 5-8 on average and talents have at least a level or 2 on most characters with an average of probably 3 on the ones I use most. Not really pulling in the constellations either since as I said I've barely used the gacha mechanic which will change once I have Ayaka. Just the ones I can buy with sigils and one for Lisa from the opening 10 draw the game gives you since I got her from that and then the game also gives you her automatically which converted to her thing there.

I still didn't think I was THAT low level though, but I guess I am.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kale posted:

This is on the absolute lowest setting or I can barely even kill anything yeah.

Yeah I'm thinking it's definitely a big part that too. I played a bit in October at first, got busy with work leading up to the holidays and then only recently tried the game again in March like 5-6ish months later and haven't exactly been gunning it to jack up the levels. Most characters I have are around level 50-60 like I said with most at 60 and same with weapons where just about everyone but Diluc has a 4 star now. Artifacts are looking around level 5-8 on average and talents have at least a level or 2 on most characters with an average of probably 3 on the ones I use most. Not really pulling in the constellations either since as I said I've barely used the gacha mechanic which will change once I have Ayaka. Just the ones I can buy with sigils and one for Lisa from the opening 10 draw the game gives you since I got her from that and then the game also gives you her automatically which converted to her thing there.

I still didn't think I was THAT low level though, but I guess I am.

Weapon, artifact and talent levels on your team are by far the biggest contributing factor to your effectiveness. That's definitely the thing gating you.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

You can get a free claymore billet at the end of the Dragonspine claymore questline (look up a guide for Ancient Carvings). It wants you to make Snow-Tombed Starsilver or whatever but you could make Archaic with it instead.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

(...)

KanColle isn't really a gacha, more of a resource management sim. You buy slots for girls, not girls themselves. And while you could buy resources for running an event further, over the years I've seen stories about like two people doing that - 99.9 % of players who run out of resources during event are like "Oh well, there will be another event, better start saving up resources now" as pretty much anything you can buy for the game has better (long-term) value over resources.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trihugger posted:

Just adding to this, I only have experience with the NBA side of microtransactions, but because these sports games are inherently PvP, it is practically impossible to get anywhere in these games without spending. There is absolutely no enjoyment to be had staying f2p. And it's not even really f2p, because you gotta buy the drat game for $60.

Yeah, to put this in perspective for someone whose only gacha so far has been Genshin Impact:

Imagine if Genshin Impact's multiplayer was only PvP and was the real draw of the game. Now imagine there's no attempt to normalize character power between F2P and whales in PvP so you just get whale-stomped sometimes. Also the game costs $60 upfront to start playing. Also they'll release a new game every year that's mostly the same and has mostly the same list of characters but if you want to be where all the players are you have to spend another $60 to buy it, and nothing carries over so you have to start over every time.

Welcome to modern sports games, whether it's 2K's games with "MyTeam" or EA's with "Ultimate Team," same system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i feel like there used to be way more hilariously malicious gacha stuff in asia before the governments started telling companies to clean up their act (or else.) maybe the EU as a whole will eventually get more serious about this, but for now they're just asking "how badly can we punish our customers before it matters?" and the line where it matters is ever farther off into the distance.