Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
By the time I finished lothric and archdragon peak I had more than enough chunks to upgrade as many weapons as I wanted for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Last night I beat Nameless King. Almost!!

And Tyler Too! posted:

2. He's fat on dark souls. You can cheese him with poison/toxic if you're a pyro.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Nameless King is unique because his moveset is specifically designed to punish panic-rolling. If you want to clown him you can always facetank him with a greatshield, or if you're a FTH build you can spam Dorhy's Gnawing as he's vulnerable to bleed.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade Arstor's Spear to stack poison on Gael? And likewise with a bleed weapon for NK. Or are the spells/miracles just significantly better in these cases? I am also very much not above pelting Gael with poop tbh.

I've settled into a routine where I basically attempt these fights for like 30-45 minutes every day, and then stop. Maybe eventually I will win, maybe I won't, maybe I will just stop trying. There is nothing else left for me to do in the game unless I go online. The only thing is I've been trying to remember where I left loot behind because I have 11 flasks and as far as I know there are 15, but can't really recall. Feels like 11 should suffice.

At this point I feel comfortable saying that DS3 is my least favorite of the three, though not by a lot. I feel equally comfortable saying that were I to make a list of my favorite Dark Souls bosses, 3 would contribute the most entries, easily. I also think it probably has the best level design in the series (Cathedral, Grand Archives and Lothric Castle are masterful). But it's still my least favorite, for other reasons.

The nice thing is I think you can make a case for any of the three being the best.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My first playthrough I summoned heavily, and I ended up doing bosses like Twin Princes and NK and Friede and Gael first try without really learning their attacks and how to punish them. I'm now doing the run legit NG+. Beat NK this morning with a very specific strategy: Lightning Infused Astora Greatsword to hit the Storm King's head, and Dark Blade Twinblades. TP was almost easy, they melted under the weight of Lightning Blade Twinblades. 40DEX/60FAI, when allowed to mash L1 during an punish opportunity, deals silly damage.

StashAugustine posted:

After Dancer how long is it until I get access to lots of chunks? I've got a +7 quills and +8 twinblades and I'd like to get them to +10 asap. Also, is pushing up to 40 endurance a good idea if I can swing it, because 25 feels really limiting

From now on, all enemies will drop chunks. If you're desperate, you can farm the Lothric Knight walking away from you for chunks. Honestly, just progress through Lothric Castle, there are a ton of chunks on the path to the next bonfire, through what are mostly trash hollow enemies. After that next bonfire, there are even more, with a few more Lothric Knights you can mostly run past.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

There is nothing else left for me to do in the game unless I go online.

:ssh: There is one more boss hidden in the Ringed City. But I'm gonna flat out say you won't like it and it's not worth chasing after.

Edit: Also probably not a terrible idea to just go check a spoiler list of where all the shards/bone dusts are. Just off the top of my head I can think of 1-2 that you 100% missed because you didn't have a message pointing out an illusory wall. I wouldn't say the endgame bosses are so tightly balanced that you absolutely need 15 +10 flasks but it certainly couldn't hurt to tip things more in your favor since they can be endurance matches.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 10, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't imagine playing this series without online. The interconnectivity really is the point. Even after getting all the PVP items, I left the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant in for a little excitement.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

:ssh: There is one more boss hidden in the Ringed City. But I'm gonna flat out say you won't like it and it's not worth chasing after.

Edit: Also probably not a terrible idea to just go check a spoiler list of where all the shards/bone dusts are. Just off the top of my head I can think of 1-2 that you 100% missed because you didn't have a message pointing out an illusory wall. I wouldn't say the endgame bosses are so tightly balanced that you absolutely need 15 +10 flasks but it certainly couldn't hurt to tip things more in your favor since they can be endurance matches.

Yeah you're right, I'll look up a few of those locations. At this point I don't mind spoilering myself on things too much cause I've beaten the main game at least. It's why I moved my DS3 posts to this thread from the Steam one anyway.

I know there's a boss called Midir, who iirc is the dragon but I don't know if that's the secret one you mean, I assumed it was the normal final boss for Ringed City. Gael didn't strike me as final boss material to be honest, partly because to be frank I have no idea what his story even is and how it relates to TRC. It's something I'll look up afterwards. Although his arena is absolute quality, very striking, genuinely top-notch stuff.

edit: I mean, I guess Gael sends you to Ariandel in the first place and helps you vs Friede, and you can then immediately teleport to the Dreg Heap from Ariandel. And then he helps against the demons. So I could see how he's maybe pulling the strings in both DLCs even if I'm unclear as to his motives. So that would make him a relevant final boss.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 10, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Midir is hidden behind a really far-fetched secret, worse than DS1 DLC. No shame in reading a spoiler about it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s weird they prioritized hiding interesting bosses in DLC instead of adding a plethora of new covenants.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Midir is hidden behind a really far-fetched secret, worse than DS1 DLC. No shame in reading a spoiler about it.

really? pretty sure I found Midir on my own from just running around exploring. Although I'm one of those people who likes to explore every nook and cranny

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Vordt's & Ledo's are my PvP go-tos. Frostbite+Poise is fantastic in duels and Ledo's L2+R2 overhead smash can be aimed in any direction, anyone who dodges "not away from you" is going to be flattened.

During my last playthrough to help VideoGames on his stream, I built my character to be able to use Ledo's Great Hammer and found it hilariously good in PvE too. The hitbox is huge and smashes thing good. Got a few invaders once I got it and loved flattening them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zesty posted:

I can't imagine playing this series without online. The interconnectivity really is the point. Even after getting all the PVP items, I left the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant in for a little excitement.

Got a chuckle out of fighting Friede and seeing one of the ghosts get murdered by the scythe grab

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Messages, Bloodstains, Apparitions. And then throw in co-op, invasions and all the covenants that go along with them on top of that.

The game really loses something special without these things.

Walking into a new area and seeing a tremendous amount of bloodstains and then getting nervous before you realize they’re from a bunch of people who didn’t realize there was a flag to raise and just jumped straight off the obvious cliff.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

really? pretty sure I found Midir on my own from just running around exploring. Although I'm one of those people who likes to explore every nook and cranny

Or it could be me being stupid and confusing finding Midir with resolving Lapp’s quest :doh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t even know how that clue is supposed to help you other than seeing someone posting online their surprise that using chameleon out in that specific area (and especially not where the clue is) created a weird effect. Is there any in-game reason to think that was the case?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zesty posted:

I don’t even know how that clue is supposed to help you other than seeing someone posting online their surprise that using chameleon out in that specific area (and especially not where the clue is) created a weird effect. Is there any in-game reason to think that was the case?

oooh I totally forgot about that part, its been a while

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Using chamaeleon twice .

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nah, just once. But white branch twice.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'd be more inclined to stay online if I could tailor some of those elements to my liking. Less messages and bloodstaines for instance would go a long way for me because they just contribute a ton of visual clutter and constantly demand my attention even if only to ignore them. I don't mind the ghosts as much, and when I got invaded a few times in DS2 it was actually kind of fun. And maybe it sounds a bit precious but a lot of the messages just take me out of the world. I think this series has tremendous atmosphere and I love spending time in these environments, but reading "fatty ahead" just snaps me right out of it.

Looked at a guide and got my flasks up from 11 +7 to 15 +10 so no excuses on that front anymore. Hopefully it'll help me with these last few bosses. At the very least I nabbed the two achievements for doing that. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zesty posted:

Nah, just once. But white branch twice.

I missed that and of course found out in a youtube video. When the DLC first came out I tried to avoid spoilers and I thought that you fought Midir at the bridge and that was it, then of course, got spoiled on how to get to him just to find out that he is the boss fight I like the least in the whole Soulsborne series.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Or it could be me being stupid and confusing finding Midir with resolving Lapp’s quest :doh:
admittedly, I found Midir's door without assistance but had to look up how to actually get the fog gate to disappear

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What's all this talk about Chameleon and branches? Finding Midir just requires you to be observant during an elevator ride and then break an illusory wall (which usually has a million player messages pointing it out).

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Finding Midir just requires you to be observant during an elevator ride and then break an illusory wall (which usually has a million player messages pointing it out).
yeah there's def confusion with another quest, but for Midir you also have to fight and knock him off the bridge before you can enter into the proper fight

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
okay so the statue thing is for patches???

yes I am too lazy to google this myself

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade Arstor's Spear to stack poison on Gael? And likewise with a bleed weapon for NK. Or are the spells/miracles just significantly better in these cases? I am also very much not above pelting Gael with poop tbh.

Rotten Pine Resin & Carthus Rouge are really all you need if you're avoiding spellcasting. Re: Arstor's spear, you're probably the first person I know of who chose that over Hollowslayer GS. Hollowslayer GS is frankly, so much better and it gets a 20% damage bonus vs Hollows, which applies to Gael.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm starting to play DS2 for the first time after knocking about in DS3, and man, the tonal shift from the other Souls games is jarring. I'm thinking about pulling out my PS3 to look at orignal DS and DeS just to see if I'm imagining it.

The lighting is weird and it doesn't have the "wet" look that the other have (well, DS3 at least). The grey wall textures are unappealing, too.

The combat felt so clunky, the enemy hit boxes seemed really off and chugging estus was a chore - until I found out about the ADP stat. So, I went and rejigged my stats and I feel more regular Souls now. I'd chosen the Bandit to start with, totally not becuase of his GWAR outfit, no sir.

I really like the torch mechanic, especially knocking about in the Gutter. I'm looking forward to some swamp exploring.

I also think the Emerald Herald is my favorite fire guardian - her little feather wave as you level up is pretty cool.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Rotten Pine Resin & Carthus Rouge are really all you need if you're avoiding spellcasting. Re: Arstor's spear, you're probably the first person I know of who chose that over Hollowslayer GS. Hollowslayer GS is frankly, so much better and it gets a 20% damage bonus vs Hollows, which applies to Gael.

I tend to favor halberds and spears and I was just very happy to finally see one of those in the transposing kiln so I instantly went for it. Ended up not using it all that much because actually poison on a spear isn't great.

New plan for NK: Vordt's Hammer for phase one, halberd + Carthus Rouge for phase two. I'll have to tweak my armor to make it work but should be okay.

edit: Dead.

In the end it was just Vordt's hammer but I may have underestimated the difference better/more flasks make - even psychologically in knowing you have a bigger safety net. Also I dodged well for a change, it felt for a bit like he couldn't lay a hand on me unless I allowed it (and I sometimes was happy to trade a hit for one of my own - again, better flasks made that viable). Weird how that sometimes just clicks outta nowhere all of a sudden. He was staggered for the final hit which made for a nice, cinematic killing blow.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 10, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Moola posted:

okay so the statue thing is for patches???

yes I am too lazy to google this myself

Using chameleon to mimic humanity is for patches quest to help you find the purging monument which was the whole reason he was going to the ring city.

It's very stupid.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

War Wizard posted:

Using chameleon to mimic humanity is for patches quest to help you find the purging monument which was the whole reason he was going to the ring city.

It's very stupid.

On the other hand, the end of that quest is one of my favourite in the series.

A fine dark soul to you all.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cavelcade posted:

On the other hand, the end of that quest is one of my favourite in the series.

A fine dark soul to you all.

Merry Dark Souls

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

In the end it was just Vordt's hammer but I may have underestimated the difference better/more flasks make - even psychologically in knowing you have a bigger safety net. Also I dodged well for a change, it felt for a bit like he couldn't lay a hand on me unless I allowed it (and I sometimes was happy to trade a hit for one of my own - again, better flasks made that viable). Weird how that sometimes just clicks outta nowhere all of a sudden. He was staggered for the final hit which made for a nice, cinematic killing blow.

:toot:

For whatever reason all of the big bad swoosh-'em-up bosses like NK, Gael, and Artorias don't really phase me very much. Something about their flourishy attack patterns clicks with me and I get into the zone and just dodge dodge dodge. Maybe not perfectly (all three have that classic Souls overswing to worry about it in some form or another) but they all feel like fun legit duels. Meanwhile, against more basic stuff I suddenly turn into an absolute clown and flop around like an idiot and eat all the poo poo. :iiam:

(And yeah, I was talking about Midir.)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

:toot: :toot:

I appear to have suddenly become good at this game right at the end. It was a pretty breezy fight (edit: I mean I say that but also I used up all my flasks, plus an ember and a divine blessing). And incidentally one of the best in the whole trilogy, I think. Definitely in my personal top ten. I gave the blood of the dark soul to the painter in Ariandel and I guess that's me done with Dark Souls 3 (for now?).

Midir will join Kalameet and the Ancient Dragon on the list of "dragon bosses I did not fight" - one per game is fitting. I'll watch it later tonight.

Great game. Great series.

Elissimpark posted:

I'm starting to play DS2 for the first time after knocking about in DS3, and man, the tonal shift from the other Souls games is jarring.

I also played DS2 a few weeks ago as part of my series playthrough (first time for all three) and found it very strange coming from DS:R. I don't know that I can put my finger on it exactly but it absolutely has a weird vibe. I got the sense that Majula itself is at the heart of it, it set the tone for the whole game, a sort of peaceful, dreamy atmosphere. The locations are stranger than in the other two games as well, in 1 and especially 3 you spend a lot of time in dense cities and various seats of power, very central, important locations. And the worlds make sense. In DS2 you're mostly out in the boonies where some weird poo poo happens. It's wild. I liked it a lot. I do wish the bosses in the main game were better, but at least the DLCs have some all-timers.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 11, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Even though I got DS3 on launch day, I only just got around to the expansions recently. Good god that Filianore cutscene. Re-igniting the first flame just feels like an abomination we should've truly left alone from the start

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sway Grunt posted:

I also played DS2 a few weeks ago as part of my series playthrough (first time for all three) and found it very strange coming from DS:R. I don't know that I can put my finger on it exactly but it absolutely has a weird vibe. I got the sense that Majula itself is at the heart of it, it set the tone for the whole game, a sort of peaceful, dreamy atmosphere. The locations are stranger than in the other two games as well, in 1 and especially 3 you spend a lot of time in dense cities and various seats of power, very central, important locations. And the worlds make sense. In DS2 you're mostly out in the boonies where some weird poo poo happens. It's wild. I liked it a lot. I do wish the bosses in the main game were better, but at least the DLCs have some all-timers.

I like Majula and its weird eternal Sunday afternoon.

I think overall, its the lighting. In the other souls games, there's a perceptable aura of light around the player, which is more noticeable when you have more contrasted lighting. I've only noticed the same effect in DS2 in very dark environments like the Gutter. Everywhere else, the lighting is pretty flat, and there's not much shadow. Which is a shame, because I really like the exploring with the torch mechanic. Even carrying the torch, the lighting feels off though.

I'm enjoying the combat more, now I know what ADP does. It felt like fighting in treacle at first.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
My first playthrough of DS2 was with max agility because I'm apparently the 1% of players who know how to use the 'explanation' command in Fromsoft games.

The lighting in the game was garbage. Also the older armor models seem to have extra bulk added on. I was hoping for more torch sections, since it was promised by the developers, but then they just upped all the ambient lighting and changed it so you only need it for the gutter. Still, it had the best covenants. I think my biggest issue with the game is how you get the shadow set, which it appears they fixed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The general theory goes that DS2 had the global illumination lighting engine in place that was shown in its gameplay reveal trailer, but it was incredibly taxing on 360/PS3 hardware, and they had to go back to static lighting again which completely killed the atmosphere.

The most obvious legacy of this are the braziers (which you can still light with a torch) which are everywhere in the game despite being totally useless - much of the world was originally intended to be shrouded in near-complete darkness.

It's said that the game was probably originally set during the age of dark, unlike 1 & 3 - but they simply couldn't pull it off.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 11, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They should try it again now that the tech has caught up

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
did that guy who was trying to fix the entire lighting engine of DS2 on his own ever finish?

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

did that guy who was trying to fix the entire lighting engine of DS2 on his own ever finish?

Flames of Old?

Looks like there's some recent activity on his patreon and his twitter https://twitter.com/Stayd3D?s=20

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'd be 100% in for ds2 remastered, now with lighting engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gumball Gumption posted:

uhhhhhhhhh

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd be 100% in for ds2 remastered, now with lighting engine
UHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://store.steampowered.com/app/335300/DARK_SOULS_II_Scholar_of_the_First_Sin/