Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that was pretty much how I felt after getting this trophy in Night in the Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Whybird posted:

We regret to inform you that as your account balance is in defecit, your eyes have been switched to an ad-supported model.

"Pathos" (2009, short film)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hel posted:

Wtf is this poo poo? Is this something that's actually common in the US? Because it's loving awful.

I love the posting subgenre of "Non-Americans finding out something awful about the US and reacting with disbelief".

Its yes! The answer is always yes! America is a third-world country cosplaying as a first-world one.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I appreciate that Dead Rising just calls the enemies zombies. I always roll my eyes when media does loops over calling their shambling reanimated dead entities anything but zombies.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

I appreciate that Dead Rising just calls the enemies zombies. I always roll my eyes when media does loops over calling their shambling reanimated dead entities anything but zombies.

I don't know, "freakers" was pretty funny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much how I felt after getting this trophy in Night in the Woods.

The trophy for finishing the climactic sequence of Portal 2 is named "Lunacy", with the caption "That just happened."

Which is both a perfect description of the events and also not spoiling anything if you haven't seen it yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Biplane posted:

"Cybernecrotics" was another good one.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Anyone in this thread is having trouble seeing how external and uncontrollable influences can shape a person's decisionmaking process that's the fundamental conceit of cyberpunk as a genre?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Casnorf posted:

Anyone in this thread is having trouble seeing how external and uncontrollable influences can shape a person's decisionmaking process that's the fundamental conceit of cyberpunk as a genre?

Doesn't seem feasible tbh, just use your phone

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Casnorf posted:

Deus ex machinae you mean?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing AI: The Somnium Files and I'm enjoying the structure of the plot. It reminds me of Shadow of Memories in that there are a bunch of mutually exclusive paths that each give some idea of the greater picture, and you won't really know what's happening until you've done all the paths. Also each path resolves one character's arc while showing a clue right at the end that recontextualises part of the mystery, like at the end of Ota the young fanboy's "path", on the one hand he gains a new appreciation for his overworked family and grows as a person but on the other hand you find out how the floral knife REALLY got to the crime scene, which only raises more questions. Also, sometimes you come across a "classified" scene, where you don't have enough information to proceed so it stalemates until other paths are completed and new information comes to light.

It's very intricate and quite clever. Also the somnia themselves own, a dream sequence where you inception yourself into another characters subconscious to uncover their secrets, and some have multiple paths to unlock different clues for different branches. Like one path may show that a character at least was there to witness a crime that otherwise seemed unrelated, but the other path in that somnium may imply a relationship with a different character that otherwise didn't have any relation to that plot.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

haveblue posted:

The trophy for finishing the climactic sequence of Portal 2 is named "Lunacy", with the caption "That just happened."

Which is both a perfect description of the events and also not spoiling anything if you haven't seen it yet.

Hardly anybody ever saw it, but the original Nier would actually update your PSN status (and I assume XBL status, too) to comment on what was happening in the game. Stuff like "Oh that poor old lady..." and "I'm in the depths of despair! This sucks!" so that your one weird friend who actually looks at PSN statuses would presumably message you and ask what that was all about.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

I love that while the climactic sequence of Portal 2 is completely insane it also makes internal sense. Portal 2 also have a trophy called "This is the part where he kills you" for making it to the chapter called This Is The Part Where He Kills You and the first thing the villain says at the start of the chapter is "hello, this is the part where I kill you" and before that another character had said "this is the part where he kills us." It should also be noted that the soundtrack for that chapter is "the part where he kills you".

That game was a lot of fun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like it when games have a bit of fun with their trophies. I was playing Fallout 4 for example. A suicide super mutant runs towards me and detonates a small nuclear football, killing me and himself. Suddenly I hear a ping and see that I've earned a trophy called "touchdown". When I was playing AssCreed: Syndicate i shot some horses pulling an enemy carriage and suddenly I've earned the trophy "What is wrong with you?!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always love it when an Extremely Serious game randomly tosses you something goofy to play with.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing AI: The Somnium Files ...
snip...

I'm getting worried now.... I've actually heard of this game! BioEnchanted, you're not going mainstream on us are you?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SkeletonHero posted:

Hardly anybody ever saw it, but the original Nier would actually update your PSN status (and I assume XBL status, too) to comment on what was happening in the game. Stuff like "Oh that poor old lady..." and "I'm in the depths of despair! This sucks!" so that your one weird friend who actually looks at PSN statuses would presumably message you and ask what that was all about.

I have complete apathy for Red Dead Redemption otherwise but the fact that it has a bunch of cute status messages like "So and so is moseying around" makes me smile. :3:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Pseudohog posted:

I'm getting worried now.... I've actually heard of this game! BioEnchanted, you're not going mainstream on us are you?

It's even got a sequel in the works!

It's also a lot of fun and just the right kind of goofy.

Mizuki is the best, as evidenced by the quality of her trident.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife was playing Cross Code and took the quiz to join the guild. The smug look on the PC's face when you choose the obviously wrong question on the... third? question is just :kiss: The main character can only say Hi, Bye and her name, so the guild leader gives her a multiple choice quiz, but can't think of a fourth choice for the third question. One of the guild members shouts out "Cream puffs" and you can choose that as the answer. The PC gives the smuggest smirk possible while holding up 4 fingers, and the guild leader is less than amused.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moosecow333 posted:

House of the Dead: Overkill has some fun with this as the protagonist keeps starting to call them 'zombies' and the sidekick G-man corrects him with 'mutants'. Thing is though, Agent G is correct; the plague is spread by a mutagen that turns people into mindless monsters, not reanimating the dead. Similarly they also discuss mid-game later on about how they seem to be immune to it, and Agent G says they're not; both of them were out of town when the mutagen was spread, and it's not infectious.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always love it when an Extremely Serious game randomly tosses you something goofy to play with.

Aren't those basket helmets a real thing?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've wondered about that one for a solid year now. But the mask's facial hair clipping is what really makes it in any case.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Biplane posted:

*Freaky Girl by Shaggy plays as the horde closes in*

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Randalor posted:

My wife was playing Cross Code and took the quiz to join the guild. The smug look on the PC's face when you choose the obviously wrong question on the... third? question is just :kiss: The main character can only say Hi, Bye and her name, so the guild leader gives her a multiple choice quiz, but can't think of a fourth choice for the third question. One of the guild members shouts out "Cream puffs" and you can choose that as the answer. The PC gives the smuggest smirk possible while holding up 4 fingers, and the guild leader is less than amused.

Smuglea is always great. Always.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Hel posted:

Wtf is this poo poo? Is this something that's actually common in the US? Because it's loving awful.

Yup, in college I got hired at a taco shop but they wanted $25 for the uniform shirt, which I literally did not have, so I couldn't take the job. :(

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've wondered about that one for a solid year now. But the mask's facial hair clipping is what really makes it in any case.

Monks wore them to avoid becoming famous.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SkeletonHero posted:

They wore them to avoid being recognized, as the masks were exclusively worn by Samurai or Ronin. It was also meant to kill their individual ego. They were also given the privilege to freely travel around Japan, which was pretty rare at the time. They might have also been used by the central government to spy on the various provinces.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I just saw a TikTok of how different God Of War 4 Kratos' design is from GOW1-3. I just realized that 4's Kratos actually looks like an ethnically Greek person. Original trilogy Kratos looks kinda creepy in retrospect because he looks more like the Aryan ideal crossed with a gym rat who listens to too much Staind/ Puddle Of Mudd. I guess this goes in the positive thread for finally showing some level of diversity.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jul 11, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ghost Leviathan posted:

House of the Dead: Overkill has some fun with this as the protagonist keeps starting to call them 'zombies' and the sidekick G-man corrects him with 'mutants'. Thing is though, Agent G is correct; the plague is spread by a mutagen that turns people into mindless monsters, not reanimating the dead. Similarly they also discuss mid-game later on about how they seem to be immune to it, and Agent G says they're not; both of them were out of town when the mutagen was spread, and it's not infectious.

G being technically correct makes the gag with the final boss that much funnier.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SkeletonHero posted:

They were mostly worn by a specific sect of Zen monks who believed the helmets represented a death of the ego and would just wander around Japan playing solos on bamboo flutes while wearing those helmets as a form of meditation and healing. After the Tokugawa Shogunate took power, they were also worn by samurai trying to move from one domain to another without attracting the attention of the Shogun, though there are theories the Shogunate allowed it as a way to spy on domains in a subtle way by having their own agents wearing this disguise and then reporting back what they saw. The practice ended in 1871 when the Tokugawa government fell and was replaced by the Meiji government.

So basically random monks and possibly some spies/ronin who would walk everywhere playing sick flute solos in the Edo period. The helmet is like 500 years too late for the setting of the game but whatever it's not the worst anachronism I've seen in a game.

edit: motherfuck someone actually posted in the time between when I typed this reply and half a day later when I actually posted.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Playing Deus ex Mankind divided for the first time,enjoying the gently caress out of it.
Made a bit of progress,new area,go snooping and end up crawling through a vent,end up in a loving bank vault,end up loving stealing EVERYTHING,get lost in bank,stuck,eventually get out of bank.

finally,later on after more progress break into a random house,after reading pocket secretary in house realise i possibly broke into a vault belonging to a guy who’s struggling to look after his newly orphaned sister,realise i’ve just broke into his house and basically cleaned him out,felt awful,started a new playthrough where i’m less of a scumbag.

10/10

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Whybird posted:

We regret to inform you that as your account balance is in defecit, your eyes have been switched to an ad-supported model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjsb22-EwQ

edit:

Warframe added a new corporate faction of Nemesis enemies called the Sisters of Parvos. Being that they are very business minded, if you capture them to join you then they officially break their contract with their previous 'employer'. The other option is to kill them for a unique weapon.

(Pic borrwed from the Warframe thread)

The phrasing of 'partnership exists by mutual consent' is great considering you've attempted to kill them multiple times by now.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Jul 11, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I learned about basket helmets from Okami. Videogames are educational!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing AI: The Somnium Files and I'm enjoying the structure of the plot. It reminds me of Shadow of Memories in that there are a bunch of mutually exclusive paths that each give some idea of the greater picture, and you won't really know what's happening until you've done all the paths. Also each path resolves one character's arc while showing a clue right at the end that recontextualises part of the mystery, like at the end of Ota the young fanboy's "path", on the one hand he gains a new appreciation for his overworked family and grows as a person but on the other hand you find out how the floral knife REALLY got to the crime scene, which only raises more questions. Also, sometimes you come across a "classified" scene, where you don't have enough information to proceed so it stalemates until other paths are completed and new information comes to light.

It's very intricate and quite clever. Also the somnia themselves own, a dream sequence where you inception yourself into another characters subconscious to uncover their secrets, and some have multiple paths to unlock different clues for different branches. Like one path may show that a character at least was there to witness a crime that otherwise seemed unrelated, but the other path in that somnium may imply a relationship with a different character that otherwise didn't have any relation to that plot.

Joke's on you this time, Bio; I've both played and own Shadow of Memories. There's one cult classic you didn't will into existence with your strange powers of game creation! :smuggo:

Seriously though, AI: The Somnium Files is really good. If you've the means to play it and haven't done so already, you should try 13 Sentinels:Aegis Rim next. If you like The Somnium Files, you'll love 13 Sentinels.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also playing Mankind Divided. i like Jensen is a man of the people and takes the subway train and that the loading screen between the two hub areas is him just chilling amonst other people.

and later on when the police curfew goes up and the subways stop running, the loading screen is him walking down the empty subway tunnels

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Vic posted:

The original Deus Ex takes place AFTER and only spec ops military have any kind of augs. Makes sense. But for 99.9 percent of population it makes no sense from any practical standpoint. The whole genre was overtaken by this specific look and it's become cargo culty.

you run into an augmented bartender like two hours into the original deus ex

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Don Gato posted:

So basically random monks and possibly some spies/ronin who would walk everywhere playing sick flute solos in the Edo period. The helmet is like 500 years too late for the setting of the game but whatever it's not the worst anachronism I've seen in a game.
I think I first saw them in Legend of the Mystical Ninja, where it was actually appropriate for the time period. And they did have flutes, as I recall.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally posted:

also playing Mankind Divided. i like Jensen is a man of the people and takes the subway train and that the loading screen between the two hub areas is him just chilling amonst other people.

and later on when the police curfew goes up and the subways stop running, the loading screen is him walking down the empty subway tunnels

if you get on the back of the train in the augs section, you just chill and nobody cares, and if you get on the front in the non-augs-only section citizens will be giving you the sideeye and cops will hassle you when you get off

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rockman Reserve posted:

you run into an augmented bartender like two hours into the original deus ex

She's ex UNATCO (actually a spy). You ask her about the mods immediatelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Somnium Files is from the same director as the Nonary Games trilogy, and despite the AIs living in eyeballs and dream-diving detectives is far more grounded in reality.