Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Markevitch on Deutsche Grammophon, or Colin Davis on Philips. I haven't heard much modern ones though.

Thank you.

And of course I'm forgetting the tubes, where I've found several adaptations, including this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha3k_ltsWV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

So what is a great version of Faust anyway? Maybe I should just see if I can find the whole thing on DVD.

ED; I have this box. The albums were ruined, so I just use it for magazine clippings and ticket stubs and stuff.

Phantom of the Paradise.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Whelp, this just made me laugh like an idiot at my kid's little league game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one more classical shitpost update: upon asking about opera LP box sets a record store owner practically shoved a box of Colin Davis's recording of Tosca in my hands for $0.00 and tried to get me to take like five boxes of classical poo poo he couldn't move (if I had a car, I would have)

i think classical might be easy mode

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Also, most classical LPs are very well cared for since they were prestige items for people and didn't sit on a teenager's floor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stealie72 posted:

Also, most classical LPs are very well cared for since they were prestige items for people and didn't sit on a teenager's floor.

Some forum post I read mentioned buying a copy of the Solti Gotterdamerung and finding a hand-written sheet of paper inside where the owner had logged the dates that the record had been played

Weirdo audiophiles through the ages :allears:

(I really do find the fact that classical was, for a while, the audiophile genre is why I like the LPs. Stuff like old Mercury recordings from the 50s still sound amazing)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 10, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Read After Burning posted:

Repress of the Doom 2016 soundtrack announced, but so far all I see is Euro shipping for almost the same cost as the soundtrack itself. Argh!

Aw man that sucks. That's the only video game soundtrack I would consider getting on vinyl. Mick Gordon kills it on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Only video game soundtrack I have is Quake, and that was purchased specifically to scare trick-or-treaters on Halloween.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

It's blurry because I was trying to take it quickly since I looked like a fuckin weirdo, but thought you guys would enjoy this.

(Is this guerrilla marketing for those boxsets?!)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Doesn’t Garth know that race is a social construct to divide the working class??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only race there is, is the race to the record shop to buy a limited edition garth brooks LP set

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the only race there is, is the race to the record shop to buy a limited edition garth brooks LP set

thread title

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also this was me taking :10bux: into that store and getting some nice stuff

most of it was the Bernstein/Stravinsky (another all time great classical lp cover) which was a stereo six-eye Columbia in decent shape. The Tosca and the Steinberg Brahms box set were freebies that the guy threw in. (Steinberg/Pittsburgh are both super underrated so I was thrilled about that)

The two Mercury LPs were $1 and both are in great shape. Clean Mercury Living Presence stereo LPs actually can go for $25-ish and up, though I dunno if you can actually move them at any speed. I'm really glad because that Paul Paray recording is great, from that period where Detroit had the best French orchestra on the planet.

Also that Eugen Jochum/BSO Schubert is one of the greatest Unfinished Symphony recordings ever. Go listen on YouTube/Spotify, it's amazing.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also this was me taking :10bux: into that store and getting some nice stuff

most of it was the Bernstein/Stravinsky (another all time great classical lp cover) which was a stereo six-eye Columbia in decent shape. The Tosca and the Steinberg Brahms box set were freebies that the guy threw in. (Steinberg/Pittsburgh are both super underrated so I was thrilled about that)

The two Mercury LPs were $1 and both are in great shape. Clean Mercury Living Presence stereo LPs actually can go for $25-ish and up, though I dunno if you can actually move them at any speed. I'm really glad because that Paul Paray recording is great, from that period where Detroit had the best French orchestra on the planet.

Also that Eugen Jochum/BSO Schubert is one of the greatest Unfinished Symphony recordings ever. Go listen on YouTube/Spotify, it's amazing.

Those are some great looking coasters!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Those are some great looking coasters!

The resonance of a Rainier can can add warmth to old records if placed in the correct location. For best results it should have a small amount of flat beer remaining in it

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The resonance of a Rainier can can add warmth to old records if placed in the correct location. For best results it should have a small amount of flat beer remaining in it

Lol

I'll give this a shot tonight. Wish me luck!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also sorry for spamming the thread but here's a beauty shot of the Rite of Spring sleeve which is truly amazing. Columbia did have some good late 50s/early 60s sleeves.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also sorry for spamming the thread but here's a beauty shot of the Rite of Spring sleeve which is truly amazing. Columbia did have some good late 50s/early 60s sleeves.

Yeah, that is the shizz.

Spam away my friend, I like seeing cool cover art. It's part of what gives records their charm.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IG-88 posted:

I ordered from the uk site before the us one went up

Ah ok that makes sense

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

petit choux posted:

Spam away my friend, I like seeing cool cover art. It's part of what gives records their charm.

100% agreed

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hank Hill asses.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Stravinsky rocks

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Those Sparks record prices sure are jumpy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Those Sparks record prices sure are jumpy

Yeah, I saw that coming from a mile away.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Picked up this Numero release today. It's pretty dope especially the track All About Money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwIt9v2okVc

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I saw that coming from a mile away.

Just finished the doc and it’s probably the next best way of really diving into the band and figuring out where you should start listening to them too. There’s also a Pet Shop Boys anecdote in there where the Sparks touring manager asked them “why don’t you ever acknowledge Sparks when talking about your influences” and either Neil or Chris just going “you’re just being rude” as they walk off. Good times.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah the doc was great, and against all odds it made my wife a fan just based on their personalities. Luckily, thanks to this thread, I was able to bust out Kimono My House, Propaganda, and No. 1 in Heaven and we listened to all 3 tonight. She bounced off the first time I tried to introduce them to her, so pretty stoked that she's come around.

Now I have someone else to help me look out for the other 22 albums I'm missing!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah the doc was great, and against all odds it made my wife a fan just based on their personalities. Luckily, thanks to this thread, I was able to bust out Kimono My House, Propaganda, and No. 1 in Heaven and we listened to all 3 tonight. She bounced off the first time I tried to introduce them to her, so pretty stoked that she's come around.

Now I have someone else to help me look out for the other 22 albums I'm missing!

There's some clunkers there in the 80s that you can skip. And The Big Beat is astoundingly mediocre and has one dipshit edgelord song on it. Basically get all of the 70s minus the Big Beat and get and stop at Whomp That Sucker. I haven't heard much from their 90s-2000s. Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins is pretty good from what I heard. From that point I think their albums are a mixed bag. I guess this is a long winded way of telling you that you don't need to get all of them and also this video from the latter album rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dqCQ2MHfQ

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I may have been exaggerating a bit, but I do have at least 4-5 more I want to pick up. Short list is: Whomp that Sucker, Angst in my Pants, Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins, Lil' Beethoven, and A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip. Also I want to pick up the Franz Ferdinand collab FFS, what I've heard of it sounds really good.

My fave song right now is Tryout for the Human Race, not enough songs are sung from the POV of sperm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-iw3yyLApQ

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

CPL593H posted:

There's some clunkers there in the 80s that you can skip. And The Big Beat is astoundingly mediocre and has one dipshit edgelord song on it. Basically get all of the 70s minus the Big Beat and get and stop at Whomp That Sucker. I haven't heard much from their 90s-2000s. Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins is pretty good from what I heard. From that point I think their albums are a mixed bag. I guess this is a long winded way of telling you that you don't need to get all of them and also this video from the latter album rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dqCQ2MHfQ

Ive only listened once and am notoriously bad at hearing lyrics: which is the edgelord song on Big Beat?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Guessing "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" but I haven't listened to it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So the price jump finally happened, I was wondering when it'd catch up. Also also their french art film Annette (mentioned in the docu) has premiered at Cannes and I got an ad from Sony BMG saying the soundtrack to it is out if that's a thing you're interested in.

I think I've got four Sparks records and seven or so CDs so I'm pretty good for right now. Never got a chance to hit up the expensive/"high class" record shop for anything though.

And speaking of music documentaries Questlove's Summer of Soul looks interesting too. https://youtu.be/ZFpPsW4ZKoE

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

And speaking of music documentaries Questlove's Summer of Soul looks interesting too. https://youtu.be/ZFpPsW4ZKoE

It's really, really good. Pretty fantastic year for music docs with Zappa, Sparks and Summer of Soul now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Enos Cabell posted:

It's really, really good. Pretty fantastic year for music docs with Zappa, Sparks and Summer of Soul now.

The jives with what I've been hearing. Hardest part will be to convince someone to go to the theater with me or to just abuse a Hulu trial period.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Just saw that a local record store is selling the Garth Brooks boxes $60 a piece. Lmao

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

Just saw that a local record store is selling the Garth Brooks boxes $60 a piece. Lmao

Stone cold professional.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

stop at Whomp That Sucker.
Whomp feels like a dry run for Angst in My Pants. Either way the bassist on both albums directed Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child and I will not forgive him for that.

Enos Cabell posted:

That and "White Women," though I do like just how absolutely vicious the vocal delivery is. Big Beat has some songs, but if you're gonna try to throw in a little Punk punchiness, maybe don't get the guy who did The Pina Colada Song to produce.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I may have been exaggerating a bit, but I do have at least 4-5 more I want to pick up. Short list is: Whomp that Sucker, Angst in my Pants, Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins, Lil' Beethoven, and A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip. Also I want to pick up the Franz Ferdinand collab FFS, what I've heard of it sounds really good.

My fave song right now is Tryout for the Human Race, not enough songs are sung from the POV of sperm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-iw3yyLApQ

I forgot about In Outer Space. That came after Whomp That Sucker and is also good.

The Senator Giroux posted:

Ive only listened once and am notoriously bad at hearing lyrics: which is the edgelord song on Big Beat?

White Women.

Enos Cabell posted:

This one isn't good either. I think White Women was some kind of hand fisted and poorly thought out attempt at satire but it's still not a good song. Problematic content aside it's also just a weak album and I think they were trying to find a new song as they were leaving behind their glam rock era. It just doesn't work and it's pretty obvious why they (fortunately) didn't continue on in that direction.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

hand fisted

:goatsecx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I meant "ham fisted" but I like this better and I'm not going to edit the post.