Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Artelier posted:

I hope Venom 2 is primarily a romcom and at the end sure they can take care of Carnage I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a Loving Dog posted:

What’s the release schedule look like in terms of overlapping? Will we get any situations like Loki/Black Widow or will it just be nonstop mcu week to week

Shang-Chi will release during What If's run, and assuming Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye don't overlap it seems pretty likely Eternals releases during one of their runs. We don't have dates for those shows yet, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

What’s the release schedule look like in terms of overlapping? Will we get any situations like Loki/Black Widow or will it just be nonstop mcu week to week

What if is August
Shang-Chi & Venom are September
Eternals is October
Spider-man is December

No release dates on Hawkeye or Ms Marvel other than 2021
Assuming we might start seeing trailer soonish?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

Legit can't believe we're getting What If?, Shang-chi, Eternals, Spider-man 3, Hawkeye, and Ms Marvel this year :allears:

And then Venom 2 out on the peripheries in September.

Still have to catch Venom. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Watched a bunch of clips from it on youtube and really liked what I saw.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't go in with high hopes. The movie is bad but the good type of bad. Drags a bit at the beginning but once the Eddie gets the symbiote things take a turn to the fun side.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, you shouldn't go in with the expectations of a movie starring Tom Hardy. if you go in with the expectations of a movie starring Logan Marshall-Green, though, you'll have a good time. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That precisely the vibe I got from the clips. The symbiote seems like a blast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't go in with the expectations of a movie starring Tom Hardy. if you go in with the expectations of a movie starring Logan Marshall-Green, though, you'll have a good time. :v:
It's loving weird how Upgrade came out that same year and in many ways is the superior Venom film

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It’s the best comic book movie of 2005

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Cipher. Audience surrogate. By necessity he must not have any outlandish or defining characteristics lest any given person be unable to place themselves in his role, especially if they are unable to imagine themselves in any other more exaggerated one.

Yeah I know what that means, but you can have the "everyman" be interesting, relatable memorable and even a little idiosyncratic, especially in the marvel context where "everyman" just means "not a wizard, robot or a billionaire". There's tons of room there to be relatable while still having strong characteristics - an audience surrogate doesn't mean exactly what you're suggesting it means here. I don't think they've made him bland out of some weird mechanical necessity, they just haven't really dug into the character properly.

That said I'm noticing more and more that they also have a weird formula for giving characters kooky characteristics so I'm not sure I want that either (see: tuna melts, jet-skis)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

mind the walrus posted:

It's loving weird how Upgrade came out that same year and in many ways is the superior Venom film

Real talk, Upgrade is a banger of a movie. I always cite that and Source Code when I mourn the loss of solid genre B-movies in theaters (though I haven't watched Source Code in a while, so it may not hold up).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I rewatched Venom a few months ago after reading random praise. I didn’t enjoy it the second time but am happy there are people that did. I’m hoping the second one clicks more for me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s the best comic book movie of 2005

Accurate

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Organic Lube User posted:

Bullseye is a way more interesting Hawkeye.

Comics Hawkeye is a violent ex-criminal with serious emotional baggage due to being the most useless and ignored Avenger. Also he was deaf for a bit [Multiple times], and they've done some fun stuff with that.

Movie Hawkeye is just some SHIELD agent that's good at aiming.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

eke out posted:

personally im so disappointed in this Taskmaster versus the one in the tv show that makes people perform tasks

Greg Davies has already done a better job [than Marvel, I'm not blaming the actor, they had NOTHING to work with] of playing a supervillain, in Teen Titans Go To The Movies

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I liked Black Widow but Taskmaster was definitely disappointing, though I'm also a little uncomfortable saying that what with what I perceive as the likelihood that some people are more upset about Taskmaster because they made her a woman

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bleck posted:

I liked Black Widow but Taskmaster was definitely disappointing, though I'm also a little uncomfortable saying that what with what I perceive as the likelihood that some people are more upset about Taskmaster because they made her a woman

That's definitely a huge part of the backlash to it and it's infuriating.

I'll repeat what I already said in a different thread: the story told with the character works, but as an adaptation of Taskmaster it's not really what you want.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I dunno if "it was obvious" is quite correct, but so many people called it (about Taskmaster), that, well, it was obvious.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I did not call it but I am an idiot

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Umbra Dubium posted:

I dunno if "it was obvious" is quite correct, but so many people called it (about Taskmaster), that, well, it was obvious.

I personally didn't see anyone guess ahead of time, which granted doesn't mean much, but within the context of the movie it was obvious enough that I figured it out ahead of time.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

Real talk, Upgrade is a banger of a movie.

This post isn’t getting nearly enough love. Neither is Upgrade. If you haven’t seen it, you should. It’s a trip.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Umbra Dubium posted:

I dunno if "it was obvious" is quite correct, but so many people called it (), that, well, it was obvious.

I probably would have been surprised if there weren't an entire page of naked movie spoilers in a thread that's only supposed to be about the tv shows

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bleck posted:

I have no comics background at all so I didn't know what to expect or not regarding Taskmaster the character, but I felt like it was just a bit of a waste that they only really showed or used the character's mimicry powers once, the very first time she engaged Natasha. It was a cool scene, but after that it was just "Generic strong fighter person." The character's origin in the context of the movie seemed fine-enough-ish although the whole cyborg bit was still a little ??? Like, ok, there's a chip in her neck, is that to make up for a broken spine? Who knows!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 10, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bleck posted:

I spotted the twist early on, and was relieved that Taskmaster wasn't a literal robot, after we saw the USB drive or whatever it was plugged in the back of the head

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gwaihir posted:

I have no comics background at all so I didn't know what to expect or not regarding Taskmaster the character, but I felt like it was just a bit of a waste that they only really showed or used the character's mimicry powers once, the very first time she engaged Natasha. It was a cool scene, but after that it was just "Generic strong fighter person." The character's origin in the context of the movie seemed fine-enough-ish although the whole cyborg bit was still a little ??? Like, ok, there's a chip in her neck, is that to make up for a broken spine? Who knows!

The other times they were driving an APC shooting arrows the same way hawkeye does, so they're not going to mimic Yelena or nat, and the second time they're fighting red guardian who we see is a brawler more than anything, so no need to mimic that. Only in the first fight does Taskmaster need to actually mimic who they're fighting

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bleck posted:

Some people are certainly upset about that, but that's not what's wrong with Taskmaster. They gave Tasky the Deadpool treatment. You know the one.

text editor posted:

I spotted the twist early on, and was relieved that Taskmaster wasn't a literal robot, after we saw the USB drive or whatever it was plugged in the back of the head

Wouldn't have made much of a difference compared to the end result.

Also, you should absolutely watch upgrade. It's amazing, and a bit terrifying.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

When the Crimson Dynamo Red Guardian v. Taskmaster fight came up, I was convinced they were going to make at least a throwaway joke about Taskmaster not being able to copy his moves because he wasn't famous enough to have studied him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

When the Crimson Dynamo Red Guardian v. Taskmaster fight came up, I was convinced they were going to make at least a throwaway joke about Taskmaster not being able to copy his moves because he wasn't famous enough to have studied him.

See, that's a joke the actual Taskmaster would have made.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Can we talk about Kid Loki doing a Superhero pose after he handed his sword to Office Loki?

There are only 4 people there. Old Loki, Kid Loki, Alligator Loki, and Office Loki. So why is he doing a super hero pose?

Such a poser.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

I have no comics background at all so I didn't know what to expect or not regarding Taskmaster the character, but I felt like it was just a bit of a waste that they only really showed or used the character's mimicry powers once, the very first time she engaged Natasha.

Not really. Taskmaster also used, just off the top of my head, Steve’s shield throw and style, Hawkeye’s archery skills, Black Panther’s claw reveal, and Bucky’s knife flip.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

See, that's a joke the actual Taskmaster would have made.

Exactly, I wanted Taskmaster cracking wise while kicking rear end or getting rear end kicked, which is all I recall of them from the comic books. I could not care less what genitalia they pack.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

They gave Tasky the Deadpool treatment. You know the one.

THAT'S what was bothering me about the performance. I suppose that's the only way they could hide the reveal, but you could have still had them cracking wise.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

They gave Tasky the Deadpool treatment. You know the one.

oh nooo you're rightttttt

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
For the edification of those who don't know anything about the character disposed of in Black Widow, here's a quick primer about Taskmaster:

What Taskmaster does:

Work for money.
Copy moves, but not superpowers.
Teach people how to hench/fight.
Bail when a fight goes bad.
Talk trash while fighting.
Be a stereotypical Brooklynite

What Taskmaster doesn't do:

Work for anything but money
hold grudges
fight to the bitter end
get tunnel vision
TAKE OFF HIS HEADGEAR
Remember what happened last week
Take himself too seriously

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The panel where he gets kidnapped in a car and goes "You know what I watched last night? A John Woo marathon" then proceeds to merc the poo poo out of everybody in a moving car.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Not really. Taskmaster also used, just off the top of my head, Steve’s shield throw and style, Hawkeye’s archery skills, Black Panther’s claw reveal, and Bucky’s knife flip.

and a spidey swing/flip during the car crash fight

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

I mean I'll put it like this: if you've seen the MCU movies a loving ton, and I mean a loving ton, you might recognize things like using the Winter Soldier's knife move or a Black Panther backflip, which was kind-of cool when the close-cut editing wasn't getting in the way but for the most part to a casual viewer I'm sure it was 100% visual noise the same as any other character.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The panel where he gets kidnapped in a car and goes "You know what I watched last night? A John Woo marathon" then proceeds to merc the poo poo out of everybody in a moving car.

Whoops Chow Yun Fat!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I am going to be a little sad if next episode is the last we see of Owen Wilson/Tom Hiddleston buddy cop in the MCU. On that note, is there any indication that Sylvie will be in anything after this show is over?

Sentient Data posted:

I probably would have been surprised if there weren't an entire page of naked movie spoilers in a thread that's only supposed to be about the tv shows

I have seen the movie, but it is a little awkward to keep discussing it in this thread for those who haven't seen it. I think there's a CineD thread which might be a better place for Black Widow discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A.o.D. posted:

For the edification of those who don't know anything about the character disposed of in Black Widow, here's a quick primer about Taskmaster:

What Taskmaster does:

Work for money.
Copy moves, but not superpowers.
Teach people how to hench/fight.
Bail when a fight goes bad.
Talk trash while fighting.
Be a stereotypical Brooklynite

What Taskmaster doesn't do:

Work for anything but money
hold grudges
fight to the bitter end
get tunnel vision
TAKE OFF HIS HEADGEAR
Remember what happened last week
Take himself too seriously

Yeah these all sound like the makings of a way more fun character than the one we got.

mind the walrus posted:

I mean I'll put it like this: if you've seen the MCU movies a loving ton, and I mean a loving ton, you might recognize things like using the Winter Soldier's knife move or a Black Panther backflip, which was kind-of cool when the close-cut editing wasn't getting in the way but for the most part to a casual viewer I'm sure it was 100% visual noise the same as any other character.

Yeah, I did notice Bucky's cute little knife drop hand swap thing, but I figured there would have been more of a point made of showing it against other characters in the same film. Oh well, w/e, it's a minor thing overall and I still enjoyed it for sure. Yelena and the semi 4th wall shade throwing was pretty funny.