Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

What do the Qataris and the Emiratis feel about one another? I think they're probably rivals but it would seem to be a no-brainer for all of these small Gulf states (Bahrain, Oman, etc.) to band up against the Saudis

No idea, but the FT article makes the point that the Emiratis are mad about the fast normalization of relations between them and KSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Afghan commandos battle Taliban for control of city as residents flee

Heavy fighting in Qala-i-Naw, the capital of Badghis province, these last two days. The Afghan government has flown in hundreds of commandos to reinforce the defense, but the city is now surrounded.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Atrocious Joe posted:

the FBI helped the UAE locate Princess Latifa's boat in 2018, which led to her escape attempt failing
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1412982631550099460?s=20

the nostromo eh

here is some footage

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Taliban seize key Afghan border crossing with Iran

Islam Qala is now in the hands of the Taliban. Afghan forces fled into Iran.

Taliban visit Moscow to say their wins don't threaten Russia

Taliban delegation arrived in Moscow today to offer assurances their advances in Afghanistan pose no threat to Russia or its allies in Central Asia.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jul 9, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
For whatever it's worth over the past six months or so my Hazara fiancé and her family have gone from terrified for family left in the country to "eh whatever" about the idea of the Taliban taking power. It'll suck but most don't seem to think there's any danger of a major shiite bloodletting any time soon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the US occupation has moderated the Taliban’s extremism…. an unqualified success!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Zedhe Khoja posted:

For whatever it's worth over the past six months or so my Hazara fiancé and her family have gone from terrified for family left in the country to "eh whatever" about the idea of the Taliban taking power. It'll suck but most don't seem to think there's any danger of a major shiite bloodletting any time soon.

The Taliban is way more likely to destroy ISIS in Afghanistan than coalition forces ever were, and the vast majority of attacks on Hazara are done by ISIS or other sectarian hardliners. The Taliban is able to take power in regions they never could before 2001 because rule by the occupation government and their allies was just that odious.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

congrats to the Taliban on the Blackhawks they will inevitably capture
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1413484102339211264?s=20

Special Report-Afghan pilots assassinated by Taliban as U.S. withdraws

quote:

Built in America's image, the Afghan Air Force is equipped with UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and lumbering C-130H transport aircraft, neither of which Afghans know how to maintain, according to a Pentagon report released in April. Those aircraft are serviced by U.S.-funded contractors, which also handle most maintenance for the rest of the fleet, including A-29 Super Tucano light attack aircraft, AC-208 Eliminator planes and MD-530 helicopters, according to that report.

That's a pretty big problem. Which the delivery of more equipment isn't going to solve.

Especially with the pilots getting assassinated off base.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Those Taliban Blackhawks will be quite a sight

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Waiting for the day the CIA funnels Stingers to Afghani secularists

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

fw: FW:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jul 9, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do ISIS and the Taliban have beef over theology or is it just gonna be power struggle?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

indigi posted:

do ISIS and the Taliban have beef over theology or is it just gonna be power struggle?

I don't think ISIS has a base for there to be a power struggle. Also, the Taliban are homegrown. ISIS is a foreign organization.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

indigi posted:

If the Taliban are no longer persecuting Shia Hazara as a matter of course then that's going to be a sticking point. Best case scenario, it's actually true and ISIS siphons off most of the psychos then loses. Probably too optimistic though

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

bedpan posted:

I don't think ISIS has a base for there to be a power struggle. Also, the Taliban are homegrown. ISIS is a foreign organization.

ISIS is US foreign occupation of afghanistan under new flag

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

If the Taliban are no longer persecuting Shia Hazara as a matter of course then that's going to be a sticking point. Best case scenario, it's actually true and ISIS siphons off most of the psychos then loses. Probably too optimistic though

from the reports that are drippling out, it seems like this generation of Taliban has a very competent foreign policy and are able to skillfully navigate the domestic situation to gain territory with a minimum of expense and damage. the statebuilding they are already doing will serve them well once the government in Kabul finally falls. there isn't going to be a northern alliance like the last time this happened.

Top City Homo posted:

ISIS is US foreign occupation of afghanistan under new flag

drat you are right. the US is going to prop up a network of lunatic terrorists (ISIS in Afghanistan) against the legitimate government (the Taliban). Again.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Jul 9, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

bedpan posted:

from the reports that are drippling out, it seems like this generation of Taliban has a very competent foreign policy and are able to skillfully navigate the domestic situation to gain territory with a minimum of expense and damage. the statebuilding they are already doing will serve them well once the government in Kabul finally falls. there isn't going to be a northern alliance like the last time this happened.

drat you are right. the US is going to prop up a network of lunatic terrorists (ISIS in Afghanistan) against the legitimate government (the Taliban). Again.

yep. i am starting to think the only reason they are leaving is to have a base from which ISIS and "ISIS" launch deniable attacks against Russia, central asia and China.

Reassurance to those countries by the Taliban is just them saying that if they get attacked its from you know who and not them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its insane to me how often empires stick their dick into Afghanistan only to turn around in defeat every single time

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jose posted:

its insane to me how often empires stick their dick into Afghanistan only to turn around in defeat every single time

Marrying the local nobility was the winning strategy historically, shame it's fallen out of fashion. As a bonus, it's a good use for all of the failchildren of politicians.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

This was a great documentary on the history from Great Game up to modern times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7uL4Q44ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6jItZF5ZeU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

afghanistan has been surrounded by empires for the past 2000 years. the empires are unable to resist the temptation and fall time and time again.

Afghanistan has been conquered before. Alexander did it. Babur did it. Those are tough shoes to fill though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymwi8MNxcec

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

rome abandons britannia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

rome abandons britannia

when you rage quit the server.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

etalian posted:

when you rage quit the server.

they left gave away all their high level gear and expensive houses though before they left

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

bets on how long until they take Bagram

there's got to be some contigency for that at least. or maybe not lol. I'd say three months

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

bets on how long until they take Bagram

there's got to be some contigency for that at least. or maybe not lol. I'd say three months

6-9 montha realistically

2 years officially because midterms elections means mic can pump surge propaganda

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Flavahbeast posted:

If the Taliban are no longer persecuting Shia Hazara as a matter of course then that's going to be a sticking point.

I kinda doubt it. Despite warnings Denmark deported a pair of orphan brothers aged 16 and 18 to Kabul in 2015 and the younger one was almost immediately tortured to death while the other was sexually abused, but somehow managed to escape. He's seeking asylum here again.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

indigi posted:

The mujahideen leaders like Hekmetyar and Massoud(and the Talibs after them) all got their start as islamist reformists similar to the Salafists. Rural regions were overrun with morally lax imams and Sufi's mystics, and that was their main bugaboo in their youth. But that's where the similarity ends really, besides being ultra-reactionaries.
The Islam they believe in is just a more hardline and strict version of whatever it is their local brand of Sunni Islam was growing up, keeping all the stuff that Salafists consider shirk. Shrines, semi-shamistic local healers, tying ribbons around sacred trees etc. ISIS hates that poo poo.

There was initially some thought in ISIS leadership that they could get the Taliban to join them, but their pitch was "Hey we love what you guys are all about, really, but you have some polytheistic nonsense you gotta cut out. Do that and you can be ISIK/ISIA or whatever" and the Taliban told them to gently caress off.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

1:49 Looters were disappointed to find boxes of bagged frozen corn, leaving it to defrost in the open.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so, crucially, I have to ask: is the Taliban on tiktok?

https://twitter.com/afghanarchive/status/1127103224521953280?s=21

this kind of content plus videos in hashish or opium fields would probably do really well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1413910179180015616?s=20
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1413916298296320004?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These are all paid speaking engagements, btw. MEK just funnels state department money into the pockets of government's biggest sellouts.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
The MEK were originally Shariatists right? How'd they pivot to being Western lapdogs?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Tweets are gone, what did they say?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ToxicAcne posted:

The MEK were originally Shariatists right? How'd they pivot to being Western lapdogs?

the MEK were, back in the day, the nominal marxist movement looking to overthrow the Shah and had participated in the '79 revolution. afterwards Khomeini tolerated them at first because they weren't any threat and eventually he tolerated them less and less as they started to poo poo stir up until he just straight up started arresting members and executing people. whatever remnants fled to the west and pretty much abandoned marxism and became more of a weird personality sex cult centred around the Rajavi family

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/22/mek-mojahedin-e-khalq-iran/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MEK were one of the revolutionary hardliners who demanded they execute the embassy hostages, and their turn on the Islamic Republic solely comes down to them thinking the Ayatollah was too moderate.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they also fought on iraq's side during the iran-iraq war, an idea so obviously terrible that you'd reasonably put it past the CIA itself

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Yeah that destroyed any popular support they had aside from some diaspora wierdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1414184284936605696?s=20